• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN, “Games Industry Criticizes Bungie Management, CEO Pete Parsons in Wake of Layoffs: 'Inexcusable'”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was listening to a Skill Up video about this. He said “industry leading” staff were laid off, and I’m seeing the same sentiment in those tweets. “I’m such an awesome worker!” like we’re just supposed to take this at face value. This absurdity is way too common these days and I think it’s obnoxious.

Edit: “industry leading” lol….

cm punk GIF

Never believe anyone who says they're the greatest workers. They can be a shit worker in reality.

Best example I know is a guy who I used to work with at an old company. Me and coworkers were office staff, he was one of the warehouse guys. If you met him you'd think he was god and owned the company. In reality he was one part shipping/receiving and one part repackaging product into cardboard boxes to make a different product configuration. He got fired after I left.

If you read his Linkedin profile, you'd think he was the equivalent of Steve Jobs if he worked in a warehouse.

He called himself a visionary, and a worker who is productive and flawless.

I read that shit and thought WTF? Buddy, half the time you were on a forklift moving skids around.

demigod

I haven't got the faintest fucking idea because it's a picture...I have no idea of the context, how long it took, what she was up to, or if she was even on the clock.

Did you? Know, you didn't. That's why it's dumb as hell to call her out using tweets.

By all means though, keep replying with your laughing emojis like the good little troll you are. Always good for a laugh to see you try and make sense and miserably fail at it.
It’s common sense, which you lack. My emojis? I’m laughing at your dumb shit as usual.

Anyone busting their ass off at work do not have the time to drive home to cook a “divine meal”.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It’s common sense, which you lack. My emojis? I’m laughing at your dumb shit as usual.
Oh, it's common sense? Do we know she wasn't at a restaurant? Do we know if someone at her house made it? Do we know where she was?

All you do is post laughing emojis because you lack the mental capacity to post something that remotely makes sense. That's why every time you get destroyed, you run away with your tail between your legs and react with laughing emojis.

Roxkis_ii

Lay offs always suck. It doesn't matter how good of a worker you are when the accountants get involved.

Also, it doesn't matter how world class you feel you are if your product doesn't sell enough to justify your position. Those words would be better spent on an updated resume then on social media.

Edit: I think it possible to be a hard worker and enjoy things in life.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Huh, yeah, so maybe she works remote most of the time lol? How long is their lunch break? Does she live 5 minutes away from the office? Was it a restaurant? And so on.

No one's white-knighting. You took 3 fucking tweets and concluded that she's a liar. I even said you might be correct, but what you did sure as shit proves nothing. Your take is just completely ludicrous. Then you accused her of quintessential millennial bullshit. As if your shit-tier investigative journalism proved or disproved anything. Your post was just dumb. That's why I took issue with it. You know almost nothing of her work ethic, but 3 tweets are supposed to tell exactly how she is? Sure lol.

"I'm not white knighting" - - > proceeds to continue to white knight.

I'm simply suggesting she may not have been working as flat out as she claimed to be based on her twitter page, it's not that deep. If she were as indispensable as she thought she was then she wouldn't have lost her job, simple as.

But that's this whole thing in a nutshell (industry wide), it's a bunch of people who have overinflated opinions of themselves and thrive on entitlement.

Last edited:

Nydius

I see everyone talking and criticizing the people fired...not the management that's clearly doing a terrible job with this studio for years.

Bad management is certainly to blame but management doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Rank and file employees also contribute to the failure of a company. But every time the games industry has layoffs, people take to social media to act like their business is the only one to ever face such hardships and how they’re the best employee ever hired and that they couldn’t be part of the reason the company needed to cut back labor costs.

If they were truly “industry leading talent” they’d have no trouble finding a new job in the industry… if they don’t torch their reputation with their public temper tantrums on social media, that is.

Edit:
If you read his Linkedin profile, you'd think he was the equivalent of Steve Jobs if he worked in a warehouse.

He called himself a visionary, and a worker who is productive and flawless.

I read that shit and thought WTF? Buddy, half the time you were on a forklift moving skids around.

Reading people’s LinkedIn profiles always reminds me of this:

Last edited:

demigod

Oh, it's common sense? Do we know she wasn't at a restaurant? Do we know if someone at her house made it? Do we know where she was?

All you do is post laughing emojis because you lack the mental capacity to post something that remotely makes sense. That's why every time you get destroyed, you run away with your tail between your legs and react with laughing emojis.
So you’re telling me people don’t go to restaurants for lunch at work. Now i know you don’t even work, lol.

Gaiff

"I'm not white knighting" - - > proceeds to continue to white knight.
No, I said we don't know one way or another. I'm not saying she did work hard.
I'm simply suggesting she may not have been working as flat out as she claimed to be based on her twitter page, it's not that deep. If she were as indispensable as she thought she was then she wouldn't have lost her job, simple as.
You weren't suggesting. You were calling her a liar full-stop. That she's indispensable or not has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Janitors sure as hell can be easily replaced, but this doesn't stop them from being hard workers. The bottom line is, you used 3 tweets of hers that completely lacked context to prove that she wasn't a hard worker. I called you out and said your evidence was weak and it is.

It's hilarious that 220 employees have been laid off, yet here you are shitting on a former employee because she posted a bunch of food tweets.

Katajx

I feel for those affected, but gaming as a whole is in a rough spot right now. It seems like from the top down they are seeing that their processes need to be refined.

Budgets are getting bigger, and throwing more money and people at projects isn’t smoothing game development.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I went into computer science thinking I’d like to make video games someday. Now it feels like I dodged a fucking bullet by going into a different industry instead.

It’s like the games industry is filled with a bunch of childish snowflakes who have never been told “no” in their lives, all bringing their personal dramas and mental illnesses into the workplace, all taking maximum possible offense at everything and starving for sympathy.

I can’t imagine working in a toxic environment like that, and I sure can’t imagine the nightmare of trying to manage those people. Seems like a far cry from the days when a small team of like-minded nerds would work their asses off making something they were truly passionate about.

I’d also be pretty damn nervous being a highly-paid employee in a decadent, overstaffed company with a shitload of slack, knowing my next game needs to sell a zillion copies to break even.

GHG

Gold Member
You weren't suggesting. You were calling her a liar full-stop.

Try reading again, there is a degree of nuance here which you're failing to grasp.

That she's indispensable or not has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Janitors sure as hell can be easily replaced, but this doesn't stop them from being hard workers.

Precisely, which is why it's foolish to be all *surprised pikachu* across social media when you get fired. Working hard doesn't automatically mean you were a valuable asset to the company. Even worse, working hard doesn't even mean that you have (or are capable) of producing work that is of value to the company. "Working hard" isn't a shield that prevents you from getting fired, that's not how this works, anywhere.

The bottom line is, you used 3 tweets of hers that completely lacked context to prove that she wasn't a hard worker. I called you out and said your evidence was weak and it is.

Nope, just that she might not have been working her ass off as much as she thought she was.

It's hilarious that 220 employees have been laid off, yet here you are shitting on a former employee because she posted a bunch of food tweets.

What's actually hilarious is her taking to twitter to dispute the decision like a child and the you defending said behaviour. If she didn't do so then people would have no reason to scrutinise her profile to determine whether what she's claiming adds up or not.

People can’t go and grab some lunch? Should they be chained to the desk?

There's a large gap between frequently going home to cook lunch for yourself and being chained to your desk in order to have lunch every day.

Last edited:

Gaiff

There's a large gap between frequently going home to cook lunch for yourself and being chained to your desk in order to have lunch every day.
Wait, she was going home frequently to cook? Couldn't she have been in a restaurant? Furthermore, if she was on her lunch break, she can do that every single day if she wants. Or are we assuming that she was using company time to cook just so you can justify your leap of judgement?

StereoVsn

There were 3 posts by her showing making matcha lattes and going out to lunch couple of times.

I have no idea if this person is a hard worker or not, but taking 3 random instagram posts / tweets and deciding that’s a “gotcha” is dumb.

As far as why people get let go could be for anything. Bungie and Sony might have decided they have too many people and cut the more senior ones so they can pay less for juniors and / or outsource if needed.

Who the f knows. All I know is that we constantly see rank and file employees in the tech industry being fired, but the upper management is never being held responsible.

Has there been a noticeable drop in productivity from that area of the company?
Of course. They actively chose the worse workers as a desperate measure because they couldn't afford the seasoned employees anymore. No dollars to pay them. My point was that sometimes companies make dumbass decisions that put them in lose lose spots and they act accordingly and flail their arms with dumber moves before the potential demise. Kind of like fucking up early moves in chess dooming your entire board.

NonPhixion

Every industry has layoffs. No industry cries bloody murder louder than the games industry. Perhaps these children should grow the fuck up and enter reality?

GHG

Gold Member
Wait, she was going home frequently to cook? Couldn't she have been in a restaurant? Furthermore, if she was on her lunch break, she can do that every single day if she wants. Or are we assuming that she was using company time to cook just so you can justify your leap of judgement?

And so we've come full circle.

Here's what she claimed:

in fact i was literally working so much that so many people told me "you'll be ok, we need you to train/manage the outsourcers"

Who do you know that is "working so much" but yet still has time to go home for lunch and make matcha lattes for the office?

In situations where I'm "working so much" I don't even have time to eat (for the record, I don't expect the same of my staff). Unhealthy, I know, but it is what it is, I run my own businesses and in those instances if shit doesn't get done then I don't get paid.

Alebrije

Do not think hard work means the same for all here. My brother is a programmer and always Made jokes about his "hard work" on front of his laptop. But once You realized those hours in front of that screen every day basically kill your eyes and rip your soul...You understand what hard work means for them, specially when the code does not world or are asked for changes o the last steps.

So hard works means different depending what industry You are. Feel sorry for the people loosing thier Jobs, but honestly if You work for a company that has not been doing well for years and also got buyed by another bigger one (Sony) You should be prepared for anything. There were red flags everywhere.

Gaiff

And so we've come full circle.

Here's what she claimed:

in fact i was literally working so much that so many people told me "you'll be ok, we need you to train/manage the outsourcers"

Who do you know that is "working so much" but yet still has time to go home for lunch and make matcha lattes for the office?

In situations where I'm "working so much" I don't even have time to eat (for the record, I don't expect the same of my staff). Unhealthy, I know, but it is what it is, I run my own businesses and in those instances if shit doesn't get done then I don't get paid.
Dude, just stop. You're not making sense and you just keep digging yourself in a hole. Those posts could have been at a restaurant. I don't see anywhere where she says she cooked this herself. I also saw her mention another man named Eric who cooked pizza and there was also a tweet of her boyfriend who cooked as well. There are so many possible scenarios that I question why you take the most negative one.

It's simple, really. You saw a few tweets, thought you had a gotcha moment. Turns out you lacked a lot of information to come to that conclusion and that's that. You were hasty in your judgement. Don't double down, because for your case to be stronger, you'd need more proof which you don't have. It's no big deal, so I have no idea why you're so hellbent on insisting she isn't a hard worker when there's no way to know.

Conclusion: She might or might not be a hard worker. A few tweets don't prove or disprove anything.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Lots of pronouns in those bios.
So? How does that reflect in any of their work? Everyone at my job has them in their emails as well (2000 employees).
Sorry, but Nadia *claims* she was working her ass off, meanwhile:

What does this show exactly? That she likes good food?
I haven't got the faintest fucking idea because it's a picture...I have no idea of the context, how long it took, what she was up to, or if she was even on the clock. Was it a restaurant?

Did you? Know, you didn't. That's why it's dumb as hell to call her out using tweets.

By all means though, keep replying with your laughing emojis like the good little troll you are. Always good for a laugh to see you try and make sense and miserably fail at it.
I don’t get it either. You should see my breakfast and lunches. If I posted them online, you’d all think that I was a chef, when all it is is meal prep thats done on the weekends.

I feel for everyone in this industry. GAFers make it seem like they all were sub-par employees when none of them have any legit clue. Top performers get laid off too- just depends where the layoffs occur.

Last edited:
So? How does that reflect in any of their work? Everyone at my job has them in their emails as well (2000 employees).
I hope that people understand that this shit is quasi mandatory in most Fortune 500 companies, big schools, unis, goverment organizations. Non-compliance can lead to issues, which most people cannot afford in this economy.

GHG

Gold Member
Dude, just stop. You're not making sense and you just keep digging yourself in a hole. Those posts could have been at a restaurant. I don't see anywhere where she says she cooked this herself. I also saw her mention another man named Eric who cooked pizza and there was also a tweet of her boyfriend who cooked as well. There are so many possible scenarios that I question why you take the most negative one.

It's simple, really. You saw a few tweets, thought you had a gotcha moment. Turns out you lacked a lot of information to come to that conclusion and that's that. You were hasty in your judgement. Don't double down, because for your case to be stronger, you'd need more proof which you don't have. It's no big deal, so I have no idea why you're so hellbent on insisting she isn't a hard worker when there's no way to know.

Conclusion: She might or might not be a hard worker. A few tweets don't prove or disprove anything.

Nah, it's just clear we have differing interpretations of "literally working so much". Can't have it both ways and make that claim while also bragging about going home for lunch, making matchas for the office and then having a whole months leave signed off. It doesn't correlate, no matter how much you want it to.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've managed people for years, you don't get rid of the good ones. Everyone believes they are a hard worker and can't be replaced. The latter is never true.

There is a reason why these people were picked.
Sometimes you do get rid of the good ones, especially if there's a cheaper one that can do the job well enough to get you through the rough spots. Not all layoff decisions are made based on performance. Many times they're purely cost driven. Sometimes (and especially if the decision is tactical) to maximize output capacity you make decisions to keep as many heads as possible over keeping the best heads available. Despite being great they can only do so much. If your layoff is done for strategic reasons then you tend to keep the best because they are who you're going to count on to adapt and implement changes. I've been in the position where I've had to do it for both reasons. Neither ever feels good.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
they just sold their company to Sony after essentially lying about how much money they were projected to make

Truth be told, they might have mentioned that if they didn't reach predictions they would reduce staff. It's not as if Sony didn't know what was buying.

Yup... totally not unhinged behavior. I would not hire any of those people whining on Twitter right now. They would be bad news for any future employer.

Yeah, that's how it used to be, you wouldn't say anything wrong about your previous company, you wouldn't specify how work conditions were.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Truth be told, they might have mentioned that if they didn't reach predictions they would reduce staff. It's not as if Sony didn't know what was buying.
I honestly wonder sometimes. They're obviously professionals, but it just seems crazy how this has developed. You're probably right though.

MHubert

They say good devs are laid off at Bungie. In my world that means good devs can pursue a career at other studios. How is this bad for the industry?

GHG

Gold Member
So hard-working people shouldn't eat and they should be sweating 24/7 or what? I refuse to believe someone can be that much brainwashed.

No, we clearly have different interpretations/opinions as to what constitutes to working "flat out". If you are flat out you barely have time to eat, let alone make the office matchas and go home for lunch, but I've been through that already.

On the bright side she now has all the time in the world to enjoy her home cooked lunches and matcha lattes, so she shouldn't complain too much.

Jakk

No, we clearly have different interpretations/opinions as to what constitutes to working "flat out". If you are flat out you barely have time to eat, let alone make the office matchas and go home for lunch, but I've been through that already.

On the bright side she now has all the time in the world to enjoy her home cooked lunches and matcha lattes, so she shouldn't complain too much.
I think there's no way you aren't trolling. If you are really serious, I think I actually feel bad for you. Your original post in this thread must be one of the most delusional takes I have ever seen on this forum and that is saying something.

GHG

Gold Member
I think there's no way you aren't trolling. If you are really serious, I think I actually feel bad for you. Your original post in this thread must be one of the most delusional takes I have ever seen on this forum and that is saying something.

To be honest, based on your reaction spamming and comment in the thread about the Bungie director enjoying his spoils how he sees fit I'd say you're a long lost resetera lamb.

Don't feel bad for me, feel bad for your attitude towards the world.

Hudo

I'm not one to defend Sony very often, but honestly the size of Bungie is pretty ridiculous and I don't doubt Totoki's criticisms at all. So that's not really "inexcusable." If you just put out nothing but DLC for 7 years, you may have some trouble paying the bills. I mean, they missed their own projections by like 40%, and they just sold their company to Sony after essentially lying about how much money they were projected to make. That's a pretty solid justification for dramatically restructuring the entire damn thing however they want.

Sounds like Bungie upper management should be ejected from orbit though.
I am also not usually who would defend Sony (or any other company for that matter) but I am with you. Bungie really required interference from the outside. They've been on a downward trajectory ever since they've shat out Destiny 1 (still one of my biggest disappointments). As much as I dislike Hermen, him taking over can only improve things.

Top Bottom