• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Donkey Konga Review!

Trevelyon

Donkey Konga packs hours of fun. It’s a good single-player experience and a great multiplayer one. If you can round up four buddies and four bongo controllers, you’re set for the evening. All that’s missing in a room with this game (and four bongos) is booze and a bowl of Tostitos. A somewhat limited song selection is the only thing keeping the multiplayer aspect from being the greatest thing EVAR, so to speak. The graphics, while bland and lacking several layers of polish, get the job done without causing too much of an eye-sore. The mini-games offer a little fun, but your best still sits in Kongo’s primary game modes.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/550/550723p3.html

I preordered this and an extra set of drums when I went to pickup Katamari today. Have to remember to reserve Taiko later too...

OK, it's official:Juan is much, much, much better at writing reviews than MJ is.

Sounds like a keeper, not that my GC needs any more party games or anything.

Carm

Also, it's worth mentioning that none of the original artists performed their songs for the game.

I was gonna pick this up on release day until I read the above. I must not have been paying much attention to the early previews of the game saying it wouldn't be the original artists. Was looking forward to DK Jungle Beat to. :(

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Galanthas said:
I was gonna pick this up on release day until I read the above. I must not have been paying much attention to the early previews of the game saying it wouldn't be the original artists. Was looking forward to DK Jungle Beat to. :(
The songs on the demo sure sound like the original recordings. = /

BuddyC

TheGreenGiant said:
truism or not?
I hate the DK Rap in general.

I'm not a fan of the Donkey Konga Theme either, but the silver lining is that it's really, really fun to play. Since it was made exclusively for Donkey Konga, the music matches up quite well when you're pounding away on the bongos.

BuddyC

Right, they're in the game. For the curious, here's the obligatory tracklist.
Rock Lobster
Bingo
Stupid Cupid
The Impression That I Get
What I Like About You
WhipIt
Busy Child
Para los Rumberos
Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing)
Oye ComoVa
On the Road Again
Wild Thing
I Think I Love You
Louie Louie
The Loco-Motion
Shining Star
Campfire Medley
Pokemon Theme
Kirby: Right Back At Ya!
We Will Rock You
Like Wow
Hungarian Dance No.5 in G Minor
Turkish March
Donkey Kong Rap
The Legend of Zelda Theme
Mario Brothers Theme
Donkey Konga Theme
All The Small Things
Rock This Town
You Can't Hurry Love
Right Here, Right Now
Dancing in the Steet
Diddy's Ditties
By the way, I'm positive that a few of the songs (such as All the Small Things and Busy Child) are done by the original artist. Any track from the mid-90's and back is likey to be a cover though, so don't get your hopes up (no Mighty Mighty Bosstones, for example).

AniHawk

Oye ComoVa

Haha, I had my sister try out the game for the first time using this song. She was horrible at it and had no idea what to do (like hitting the left side whenever a red thing showed up). At the end she missed 90, and I said, "the rhythm is not in you."

I'm a horrible brother.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I must be nuts, as the demo I played sounded like it had the original recordings in it too...

One question I've always had is whether or not you could turn off the game "sounds" and just leave the music on. At E3 they had bongo sounds and "NES" sounds to choose from, but I just wanted no sounds so I could listen to the music properly. Is this an option?

NWO

Christberg said:
OK, it's official:Juan is much, much, much better at writing reviews than MJ is.

That's not saying much.

I could type with my forehead for 15 minutes and it would be a better review than anything MJ could come up with. You know you suck at reviews when IGN doesn't even want you.

SantaC

NWO said:
That's not saying much.

I could type with my forehead for 15 minutes and it would be a better review than anything MJ could come up with. You know you suck at reviews when IGN doesn't even want you.

Agree. MJ was the worst reviewer ever.

JasoNsider said:
One question I've always had is whether or not you could turn off the game "sounds" and just leave the music on. At E3 they had bongo sounds and "NES" sounds to choose from, but I just wanted no sounds so I could listen to the music properly. Is this an option?

There's a meter in the options that will let you set the game for louder sound effects or louder music. If you set it all the way to music that should turn all the sound effects off.

Also, for anybody playing this game, make sure you go into the settings and turn the clap sensitivity way up (to around the red area, or just below it). It's defaulted to all the way off and it will pick up any and every slight noise in the room.

StrikerObi said:
There's a meter in the options that will let you set the game for louder sound effects or louder music. If you set it all the way to music that should turn all the sound effects off.

Also, for anybody playing this game, make sure you go into the settings and turn the clap sensitivity way up (to around the red area, or just below it). It's defaulted to all the way off and it will pick up any and every slight noise in the room.

Good to know. By the way, do you mean turn the sensitivity down? I assume that's what you meant.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
clipunderground said:
Is that B52's song?
Yes, it certainly is!

That's actually one of the factors that put me over the edge in wanting this game. I mean...who on Earth could not want a game with Rock Lobster in it?

Vlad

human5892 said:
Yes, it certainly is!

That's actually one of the factors that put me over the edge in wanting this game. I mean...who on Earth could not want a game with Rock Lobster in it?

I was excited about it too, until I heard a clip of it in one of IGN's videos. That's how I learned that the bulk of the songs in the game aren't actually done by the original artists.

If anybody wants a chuckle, take a look at some of the IGN videos posted on 9/23. The person playing is absolutely horrible at the game.

Top Bottom