• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN posts full Metroid Prime: First Hunt DS impressions

metroid-prime-hunters-first-hunt-demo-20041109061539342.jpg

Excerpt from the Full article...

This multiplayer demo really does show off the range of the Nintendo DS wireless connectivity, though. I was able to challenge the GameSpy guys to a few rounds; their cubicles are easily a hundred foot hike from my desk, and with us sitting at each other's chair we were able to retain a strong "two bar" connection with no lag in the battle. The systems were definitely not "line-of-sight" connected, since there were several desks and walls in our way during our connection. In comparison, the Wireless Adapter for the Game Boy Advance can't keep the same strength link when connected at this distance in our office...especially with so many objects in the way.

Chock full of goodness!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Looks like it's running very smoothly and a blast in multiplayer. I hope for the final version they will have the ice/wave/plasma/charge beams implemented with some strategy to them (wave messes up the controls or vision of other players, plasma close range massive dmg, ice freezes, charge with knockback). And fast shooting missiles! Awesome when you can just unload 15 missiles in 5 seconds against Ridley in SM and zero mission.

lexi

Banned
Considering 100 feet was stated as the maximum distance for wireless, this bodes well. November 21st can't come soon enough.

I think Nintendo's bottom rung battery life figure for the DS (6 hours) is also probably with everything turned on ... full processing power, speakers on, and WiFi enabled, too.

Oh now that's some cool news, it's nice to know that the distance between units doesn't have to be close at all and still get a strong signal. Also that multiplayer looked quite fun, rolling around in morph ball mode? :p Sounds like something I'd do.

Joe

is it true that you can play a 4 player lan and only one DS has to have the cartridge? the other 3 get it uploaded to their ram?

Joe said:
is it true that you can play a 4 player lan and only one DS has to have the cartridge? the other 3 get it uploaded to their ram?

I believe so. I think it's the same with Super Mario 64 DS, you only need one game card to play multi.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It will depend on the game you are playing there's an icion for games that need 1 cart, or multiple, but when you power on a DS and get to the main menu you ahve an option for DS download, which will let you play with others and only have 1 cart.

Rlan

I'm going to assume IGN haven't got some sort of capturing process going yet then?

Will all videos have to use the long vision for the game? Surely the less necessary screen could be gotten rid of alltogether, or even just have it as a small corner of the video?

How are plays getting around this? Because a lot of the low-res videos look worse when they're twice as tall :\

seismologist said:
The most impressive thing was the targetting. acuracy looks better than a console FPS.
This is something I've been saying since the Gamer's Conference. But people failed to watch the long demonstration so I got flammed to hell by trolls. The only addition NST could make at this point is sensativity controls like Craig mentions in his impressions. And I think he's being very calm about how awesome the game is. If it were any other site editor it'd be much more glowing.

SomeDude

Banned
So what exactly is so cool about this game? It seems like there are barely any puzzles or anything like that. Your typical destroy all enemies in a room to unlock next room bullshit.

Also, NST is making this game, and there track record is piss poor at best.

SomeDude said:
So what exactly is so cool about this game? It seems like there are barely any puzzles or anything like that. Your typical destroy all enemies in a room to unlock next room bullshit.

Also, NST is making this game, and there track record is piss poor at best.
Ridge Racer 64, Crystalis, Pokemon Puzzle League 64, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Mario vs. Donkey Kong and 1080: Avalanche are piss? Um, then you need to pull that dick out of your ass because most of us consider all of those games to be very well done. Poor attempt at a meaningless troll.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Rlan said:
I'm going to assume IGN haven't got some sort of capturing process going yet then?

Will all videos have to use the long vision for the game? Surely the less necessary screen could be gotten rid of alltogether, or even just have it as a small corner of the video?

How are plays getting around this? Because a lot of the low-res videos look worse when they're twice as tall :\

I believe DSIGN said in a mailbag they are still waiting for the capture device from Nintendo. I gather that the device is similar to that seen at the Gamer's Summit. Shows both screens in a long format (you can not see what the hand is doing on the touch screen of course).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice news. The range is so good that you could play a few rounds in a stadium seating college lecture class if you are so inclined :)

Holy shit. I got to play the DS today, free of any restraints. The Nintendo rep brought one in to TRU today, she pulled it out of her pocket and let me play while she was setting all the new adverts and POP up. My fucking christ ass bloody shit, Metroid Hunters was awesome. I didn't anticipate how new and fresh it would feel in my hands, but it was all that and then some. The game looks slick as hell, with organic environments and VERY precise controls. I mean I was playing the game with my regular ol' thumb and it worked very well. Buttons are spot-on and feel so comfy. The unit itself just feels so right. And the backlit screens look beautiful displaying this extremely impressive game. I brought home Halo 2, but all I could think about, and still now, was The DS. I haven't felt this sensation since Mario 64.

yeah I read somewhere that they had Metroid Prime 2 and DS version running side by side and it looked pretty close.

Im definitely anxious to get my hands on this. :D

Grubdog

Banned
evilromero said:
Holy shit. I got to play the DS today, free of any restraints. The Nintendo rep brought one in to TRU today, she pulled it out of her pocket and let me play while she was setting all the new adverts and POP up. My fucking christ ass bloody shit, Metroid Hunters was awesome. I didn't anticipate how new and fresh it would feel in my hands, but it was all that and then some. The game looks slick as hell, with organic environments and VERY precise controls. I mean I was playing the game with my regular ol' thumb and it worked very well. Buttons are spot-on and feel so comfy. The unit itself just feels so right. And the backlit screens look beautiful displaying this extremely impressive game. I brought home Halo 2, but all I could think about, and still now, was The DS. I haven't felt this sensation since Mario 64.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't wait! DS will be HUGE!

evilromero said:

cool impressions - a user like one of us. I'm impressed/excited at the same time. Wowzer! Did you offer to FHUTA for being so nice? She'd probably love it too, these god damn liberals

Buggy Loop

Panajev2001a said:
IGN seems to confirm 30 fps.

Cool, first thought it was 60 but oh well, cant have everything. Still quite impressive for a 1st gen game and coming from NST *shudder*, i cant wait to see what 2nd and 3rd gen games will look like when capable devs will push the hardware and some of DS features, like some of the things you said to me that it could do, pana ;)

*froths hands*

I personally would have preferred it if they had created a new IP for this game rather than using the Metroid license. Maybe the full version will have a story that actually fits into the Metroid universe.

Father_Brain said:
I personally would have preferred it if they had created a new IP for this game rather than using the Metroid license. Maybe the full version will have a story that actually fits into the Metroid universe.
i think this game is headed more in the "bounty hunter" direction. Its part of the series thats always talked about, but never seen, and I think it's a good change in a way. At the very least, different.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Buggy Loop said:
Cool, first thought it was 60 but oh well, cant have everything.
There's no way in 'ell you'd be able to tell the difference on the DS screen anyway.

firex

I was sold on this game despite it being a NST title when I watched gamespot's bigass video from a few weeks back where they presented it. It's not all that revolutionary but it looks like it controls really well and is almost like a metroid universe UT style game.

Well 30 fps for a FPS would've been god-like on the N64 (remember those days?). It seems like DS can hold a much steadier frame rate than the N64 could.

This game is a multiplayer title primarily, it's a "bounty hunter" game where you uh, well "hunt" other bounty hunters FPS style.

jett

D-Member
evilromero said:
Ridge Racer 64, Crystalis, Pokemon Puzzle League 64, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Mario vs. Donkey Kong and 1080: Avalanche are piss? Um, then you need to pull that dick out of your ass because most of us consider all of those games to be very well done. Poor attempt at a meaningless troll.

Don't you fucking dare defend their Crystalis port.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mario vs. donkey kong is one of the two or three best nintendo games this gen. and blue storm is ok. but the rest of nst's catalogue is pretty horrible.

I thought Ridge Racer 64 was cool. It generally got good reviews from the press too IIRC.

I mean yeah it wasn't exactly like how Namco would do it, but it was a good racing game on its own merits. The speed of the game was pretty sweet for an N64 title.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
fennec fox said:
There's no way in 'ell you'd be able to tell the difference on the DS screen anyway.

That is why they made a big deal of Super Mario 64 DS being 60 fps ?

I beg to differ with your analysis Fennec ;).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
soundwave05 said:
I think Nintendo's bottom rung battery life figure for the DS (6 hours) is also probably with everything turned on ... full processing power, speakers on, and WiFi enabled, too.

Nintendo rep on gamefaqs said that with every feature going at once and music at full it's 10 hours, so you can expect even higher battery life.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I really want someone to translate some of the older PC FPS's to the DS. Like Unreal Tourney and, well, Unreal Tourney.

lexi

Banned
Cruel Bastard Mario said:
I really want someone to translate some of the older PC FPS's to the DS. Like Unreal Tourney and, well, Unreal Tourney.

Original UT with a modified 2k4 Onslaught mode, please.

Top Bottom