• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

brochiller said:
Well it's going to be playable, so I assume they're going to have something big to play and not just tech demos. I'm really hoping for a new IP they can build off of in the future. Maybe it will be Retro's project, maybe somebody else, but I want to see Nintendo take a risk a make a big budget game that isn't built off of an existing franchise.

Yeah, I agree, it's not the safe choice but showing a new IP would mean Nintendo is as vital as ever(not that I didn't think they were).

I wish Miyamoto would pull out another Pikmin surprise game or maybe even a third party could show off a new IP on the new system.

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
I honestly think they're going to try making some games particularly aimed at the so-called "dudebros" crowd. These may even come from a 3rd party that they're paying to make the game for them, like the way they paid sega to make the GC F-zero, or the way they paid Team Ninja to make the Metroid game. Some team with real expertise in genres that nintendo doesn't specialize in (FPS, third person shooter, arcadey action beatemup, and others).

I just can't see nintendo suddenly making an awesome FPS with an internal studio, unless they buy a new studio.

Retro is the only internal studio that I could almost see doing that, although, to me, the worst prime game is the one with the most focus on shooting/action (prime 3), and the best is the one with the most focus on adventure elements (prime 1)

Totally agree with the prime part.

I think its fairly safe to say that the cafe will get multi-plats like CoD, Rockstar titles, etc.

What I hope for in terms of 3rd party money hat exclusives is something like Borderlands or Bullet Storm, both very obsessive score/collecting heavy games that appeal to "dudebros", unless I'm wrong. I wonder if these will be 3rd party exclusive new IPs or 3rd party takes on Nintendo IPs like the ones u list. Also if Mirrors Edge 2 were announced as a launch title for the cafe I would be there day 1. Surely someone at Nintendo sees the genius of a 1st person platformer, Miyamoto did say he wished he made portal right?

antonz said:
I mean Nintendo sticking with 10.1 still means shader 4.1 instead of Shader 5.0 but thats not gonna be a system killer deal

Oh I know. I'm just speculating on what could they do to customize the chip. I think that's far more interesting than a getting a sight up off the shelf part with die shrink/different clock speeds. Even the 360/PS3 GPU had their own customizations that make them more than just an off the shelf GPU. Though in their case, their custom design was more like a gimped version of a high end card. I really want to see a GPU with programmable and fix function shaders as long as the pipeline can switch between fixed and programmable.

It'd be cool to see what Capcom thinks of the system.

Obviously, nowadays they are on good terms with Nintendo but from a tech-side, I'd love to hear any comments from them about the console.

E3 will be better than the strong one last year or it seems that way.

antonz

Cow Mengde said:
Oh I know. I'm just speculating on what could they do to customize the chip. I think that's far more interesting than a getting a sight up off the shelf part with die shrink/different clock speeds. Even the 360/PS3 GPU had their own customizations that make them more than just an off the shelf GPU. Though in their case, their custom design was more like a gimped version of a high end card. I really want to see a GPU with programmable and fix function shaders as long as the pipeline can switch between fixed and programmable.
The best thing nintendo really needs to do with the chip besides the die shrink is upgrade the ram from ddr3 to ddr5. If they do that it opens up another 55GB/s bandwidth and gives the card a healthy performance boost. I could see them potentially adding some features from the next generation of cards but I dont think they will go too crazy.

I think its safe to say they wont neuter the card. System size is reported to be pretty big and none of these components are a danger of overheating a small case.

apana

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Anyone think they will show off a "real" big named game at E3(early stage) or will it be tech demos for people to see what the system can do????

I hope we get a Zelda tech demo to see what the system is capable of. Didn't they do something similar with the gamecube?

I can just imagine it now: Link is on top of a building watching cops beat down on an innocent bystander. He just wanted to have a smoke but now decides to jump in to save the innocent man, oh btw he can turn into an android. He jumps down and rains terror on the future cops. He then decides to celebrate his victory with a smoke but just when he lights his cigarette up, a giant robot comes up behind him ready to attack....

scitek

SneakyStephan said:
Yeah, but what I was saying is that 6950 isn't really the high end now on pc (despite the misleading name, a 6950 is just the new x850 line) ,a gtx570 is much more powerful , not to mention the enthousiast stuff like crossfire set ups , 6990 or 580 or even gtx590.

How's a GTX 570 "much more powerful" than a 6950? I chose a 2gb 6950 instead of a 570 because the benchmarks were roughly the same and it was about $40 cheaper.

Nintendo's angling for that PS2 slot. Come out early, dole out mad cash to 3rd parties to get yourself situated as the lead platform, competitors occasionally get a bit more impressive versions of multi-plat games at best.

shadyspace said:
Nintendo's angling for that PS2 slot. Come out early, dole out mad cash to 3rd parties to get yourself situated as the lead platform, competitors occasionally get a bit more impressive versions of multi-plat games at best.

Total Global Saturation

shadyspace said:

I would be satisfied with that

shadyspace said:

Yeah, Nintendo coming out first with the 3DS and even moreso this new system can only bode well for them.

Instro

apana said:
I hope we get a Zelda tech demo to see what the system is capable of. Didn't they do something similar with the gamecube?

I can just imagine it now: Link is on top of a building watching cops beat down on an innocent bystander. He just wanted to have a smoke but now decides to jump in to save the innocent man, oh btw he can turn into an android. He jumps down and rains terror on the future cops. He then decides to celebrate his victory with a smoke but just when he lights his cigarette up, a giant robot comes up behind him ready to attack....

Legend of Zelda: The Good Samaritan

watershed

Banned
apana said:

lol, well played.

shadyspace said:
Sounds good to me.

apana said:

but with bad art D:

Kard8p3

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yeah, I agree, it's not the safe choice but showing a new IP would mean Nintendo is as vital as ever(not that I didn't think they were).

I wish Miyamoto would pull out another Pikmin surprise game or maybe even a third party could show off a new IP on the new system.

Well in an interview last year Miyamoto said he hoped to show off a new IP at some point this year. I'm hoping whatever it's a launch game for cafe.

GaussTek

Still my biggest concern about Project Cafe is that -it seems- it will lack a HDD. Even if they use 25GB disks, a lot of devs are opting for installations and DLC stuff, and 8GB flash (if the rumors are true) definitely won't be enough and I'm worried some third parties will dislike this.

If it won't have one, I just really hope Nintendo adds the option to increase your storage with not only SD cards, but also external (official or third party) Hard Drives or USB drives.

Hiltz

I still wonder if Nintendo can possibly put to rest the notion that gamers only buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games on.

Hiro

Banned
Hiltz said:
I still wonder if Nintendo can possibly put to rest the notion that gamers only buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games on.

Uhhhhhh....this is a true notion, though. Why would you want to put the truth to rest?

From The Dust said:
but with bad art D:

And Link will have a beard.

1048405-goatee_super.jpg

watershed

Banned
Hiltz said:

The only way they can do that is to have equal or better version of multi-plats and some awesome 3rd party exclusives like RE4 was until it went to the ps2 and preferably earlier in the system's life cycle.

Hiltz

Hiro said:
Uhhhhhh....this is a true notion, though. Why would you want to put the truth to rest?

I meant to say if Nintendo can change the notion to show that third-parties can flourish on its home consoles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Been without my GAF login for the last couple of days, so I'm just chiming in to point out the utter absurdity a few pages back with people claiming that Capcom and Konami's 3DS efforts are leagues ahead of Nintendo's, as if Nintendo dont 'get' modern shaders or some such nonsense.

It really boils down to you people simple not liking Nintendo's particular art choices, and then using that as a basis for your argument. Even something as simple as Pilotwings Resort has neary every surface in the game enhanced with a shader. Shit, Steel Diver is obviously a souped up DS port, and even it has bump mapping and some great lighting tricks.

The problem is that Nintendo hasn't release a game yet that really pushes the system as hard as possible. Even so, take one gander at the Mario Kart footage and it's not hard to see it is quite close to the Wii game with more shaders on top. Kid Icarus is also loaded with shaders.

It's a tired argument and I really wish people would stop trying to argue that Nintendo dont get or are not capable of pushing modern shaders and modern system power. Arguing this does nothing but point out you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hiro

Banned
EatChildren said:
..........I'm just chiming in to point out the utter absurdity a few pages back with people claiming..........

It's a tired argument and I really wish people would stop trying to argue that Nintendo dont get or are not capable of pushing modern shaders and modern system power. Arguing this does nothing but point out you have no idea what you're talking about.

youre_welcome001.gif

GaussTek said:
Still my biggest concern about Project Cafe is that -it seems- it will lack a HDD. Even if they use 25GB disks, a lot of devs are opting for installations and DLC stuff, and 8GB flash (if the rumors are true) definitely won't be enough and I'm worried some third parties will dislike this.

If it won't have one, I just really hope Nintendo adds the option to increase your storage with not only SD cards, but also external (official or third party) Hard Drives or USB drives.

No reason why the disc drive on the Cafe won't be much faster than ps3 drive is there?
I would still like the option to install due to wear and tear on the optical drive, as well as noise.

pirata

Amir0x said:
His beard looks like a little yellow person with two arms and two legs and a mouth.

It's just his hair flipped vertically, which I guess would mean that Link's hair is a little yellow person.

EDIT: I think I just stumbled onto Skyward Sword's plot twist.

GDGF said:
Anybody else kind of expect someone from Epic to speak at Nintendo's E3 press conference?

I expect Mark Reign to come on stage and present the first UE3 game to grace a Nintendo device. and another on the 3DS.

yep. my hopes are high. no, I won't bring them down

Instro

GDGF said:
Anybody else kind of expect someone from Epic to speak at Nintendo's E3 press conference?

Mark Rein walks about and says, "Hell, its about time" and then they show LoZ developed by Epic. The end.

Hiro

Banned
From The Dust said:
I expect Mark Reign to come on stage and present the first UE3 game to grace a Nintendo device. and another on the 3DS.

yep. my hopes are high. no, I won't bring them down

Except that UE3 can't run on the 3DS.

Top Bottom