• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Instro said:
Nintendo is the source.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

apana

AceBandage said:
Everyone's source is Ubisoft. I can pretty much guarantee it.
Someone in Ubisoft started blabbing away to journalists.

I found the guy at Ubisoft who is leaking everything:

578893-ms.jpg

watershed

Banned
So between the 3ds bashing going on in the April NPD thread and the cafe isn't powerful enough going on in this thread, is it time yet again for a "Nintendo Am Doomed" thread to unify the hate?
jk

Triton55

So if I'm understanding the techies in this thread's argument right, despite IGN's suggestion, Cafe should actually be significantly above in practice with dedicated console architecture and when software is optimized for the system? Does this mean Cafe would probably be able to run "true next-gen" games just in somewhat lower settings?
Sorry if I'm way off, I'm just trying to understand this thing.

Triton55 said:
So if I'm understanding the techies in this thread's argument right, despite IGN's suggestion, Cafe should actually be significantly above in practice with dedicated console architecture and when software is optimized for the system? Does this mean Cafe would probably be able to run "true next-gen" games just in somewhat lower settings?

It'll be able to run PS4/720 games if that's what you're asking.

dwu8991

Banned
AceBandage said:
Everyone's source is Ubisoft. I can pretty much guarantee it.
Someone in Ubisoft started blabbing away to journalists.

That doesn't account for how stuff was leaked to Kotaku. The information must come from an North American publisher like EA or Activision.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know that this isn't exactly a great test considering it's not a closed system but it is a pretty cool way of trying to get an idea for the power of the machine. Definitely one of the more interesting things that IGN has done in a while. If these specs are accurate they're definitely a bit better than what I was expecting, aside from the RAM which is exactly what I was expecting.

dwu8991 said:
That doesn't account for how stuff was leaked to Kotaku. The information must come from an North American publisher like EA or Activision.

Hahahaha... Kotaku having sources.
That's funny stuff.

Triton55 said:

That depends. The Wii can run 360/PS3 games with a big graphical hit as long as the game isn't too ambitious. You could theoretically get Assassin's Creed running moderately well on it (See: The PSP game), or GTA IV (GTA series on PS2/XBOX), and we know for a fact that CoD will run on it. The fact that we don't get "current gen games" is more due to the significant work you have to do to modify it to run.

The power gap between Super Wii and X3 / PS4 will not be anywhere near that of Wii vs PS3/360 assuming these specs are close to what we get. This is a 3-5x boost over current gen consoles, and the X3/PS4 are likely to be 8-10x current systems assuming late 2013/early 2014 launch with a very high end system (and a very high priced system). They will probably be twice the power of the Nintendo system, but the 360/PS3 was more like 15x the power of the Wii. Furthermore, thanks to diminishing returns, a system twice the power doesn't look "twice as good", not even close.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
That depends. The Wii can run 360/PS3 games with a big graphical hit as long as the game isn't too ambitious. You could theoretically get Assassin's Creed running moderately well on it (See: The PSP game), or GTA IV (GTA series on PS2/XBOX), and we know for a fact that CoD will run on it. The fact that we don't get "current gen games" is more due to the significant work you have to do to modify it to run.

The power gap between Super Wii and X3 / PS4 will not be anywhere near that of Wii vs PS3/360 assuming these specs are close to what we get. This is a 3-5x boost over current gen consoles, and the X3/PS4 are likely to be 8-10x current systems assuming late 2013/early 2014 launch with a very high end system (and a very high priced system). They will probably be twice the power of the Nintendo system, but the 360/PS3 was more like 15x the power of the Wii. Furthermore, thanks to diminishing returns, a system twice the power doesn't look "twice as good", not even close.

If they can get the equivalent of a hd6950 (200dollar mid-high end gpu right now) in ps4 by 2013 (I'd be dissapointed if we didn't) , that thing is already more than twice as fast a hd4850.
So that already meets your 8x-10x requirement gpu wise.
And that is hardly really high end or high price right now, let alone in two years.

at 1080p that could probably render games that one could consider a proper generational leap above 360.
But how do you even define a generational leap, look at late xbox games vs early 360 games (and even some later 360 games), the difference isn't any bigger than the difference between early 360 games and the best looking 360 and ps3 games right now).

Instro

Triton55 said:

Thats the general consensus I believe. Obviously it depends a bit on when the 720/PS4 launch, but its a fair assumption to think that the Cafe will run their multiplatforms just at worse quality. There wont be nearly as many limiting factors as there was with the Wii anyway.

ThoseDeafMutes said:

Its not just the lack of power thats the issue for the Wii really. Its architecture is/was so old(shit its using tech designed in the late 90's) that it is incredibly difficult to port games without drastically changing the engine, which is why its only happened with a few games(i.e. CoD). That wont be the case with this system even though it will be weaker than the next consoles from Sony and MS.

SneakyStephan said:
If they can get the equivalent of a hd6950 (200dollar mid-high end gpu right now) in ps4 by 2013 (I'd be dissapointed if we didn't) , that thing is already more than twice as fast a hd4850.
So that already meets your 8x-10x requirement gpu wise.
And that is hardly really high end or high price right now, let alone in two years.

6950 level power is about the high end of what I would expect from PS4/X3.

antonz

WHat people have to realize now with sources is with E3 soon the magazines etc are all getting hands on with the system and games for Post E3 blowout issues.

Honestly its surprising more hasnt been leaking

watershed

Banned
Someone made quite an interesting point about the potential relative power of the cafe compared to the PS3/360. In terms of multi-plat games the cafe could offer definitive versions in terms of a consistent 30/60 fps and true hd resolution of 1080p. But most "hardcore" gamers are actually "dudebro" gamers who don't care/can't tell that the shooters they know and love aren't actually hd or are full of the technical glitches typical of this gen. Only tech gamers, people who post on gaf judging consoles based on cpus, gpus, ram etc will be interested or compelled to buy the cafe because of its tech advantage. I suspect dudebros way outnumber tech gamers by a wide margin.

Ultimately (as is always the case) its gonna be the software not the hardware that will determine whether the cafe can draw in the dudebro crowd. But the question is, what about the cafe version of multi-plat games will draw people to buy it over the version for the consoles they already own? Obviously Nintendo 1st party games will always be the draw for a lot of gamers, but all the "dudebro" gamers I know are instinctively allergic to Nintendo games. I know we've had this discussion a hundred times in the various cafe threads but I'm suddenly interested again in how Nintendo will draw in the "hardcore gamer" crowd.

My take is that Nintendo thinks better/equal graphics and a more competent online system will be enough. I suspect Nintendo will continue to focus on their crowd, longtime fans and casuals, and just hope for a better spread of 3rd party games on the side.

dwu8991

Banned
Its not just the lack of power thats the issue for the Wii really. Its architecture is/was so old(shit its using tech designed in the late 90's) that it is incredibly difficult to port games without drastically changing the engine, which is why its only happened with a few games(i.e. CoD). That wont be the case with this system even though it will be weaker than the next consoles from Sony and MS.[/QUOTE]

What difference does triple core gpu mean?

artwalknoon said:
Someone made quite an interesting point about the potential relative power of the cafe compared to the PS3/360. In terms of multi-plat games the cafe could offer definitive versions in terms of a consistent 30/60 fps and true hd resolution of 1080p. But most "hardcore" gamers are actually "dudebro" gamers who don't care/can't tell that the shooters they know and love aren't actually hd or are full of the technical glitches typical of this gen. Only tech gamers, people who post on gaf judging consoles based on cpus, gpus, ram etc will be interested or compelled to buy the cafe because of its tech advantage. I suspect dudebros way outnumber tech gamers by a wide margin.

Ultimately (as is always the case) its gonna be the software not the hardware that will determine whether the cafe can draw in the dudebro crowd. But the question is, what about the cafe version of multi-plat games will draw people to buy it over the version for the consoles they already own? Obviously Nintendo 1st party games will always be the draw for a lot of gamers, but all the "dudebro" gamers I know are instinctively allergic to Nintendo games. I know we've had this discussion a hundred times in the various cafe threads but I'm suddenly interested again in how Nintendo will draw in the "hardcore gamer" crowd.

My take is that Nintendo thinks better/equal graphics and a more competent online system will be enough. I suspect Nintendo will continue to focus on their crowd, longtime fans and casuals, and just hope for a better spread of 3rd party games on the side.

My take on it is that Nintendo is catering more to third party developers this time around. In the past they have often developed hardware from the inside out, in that they develop it based on what the want and hope that outside developers make quality software for whatever they come out with. This time, as they've shown with the Classic Controller Pro and the 3DS, they may be taking a different approach where they develop hardware (and controllers) based on input from what third party developers want. This will ensure them that they at least get the third party games they need, and if they do it right maybe even some third party exclusives, that they can expand their audience with.

And who know, maybe whatever special feature Nintendo has planned for the controller actually will be cool enough to attract gamers who wouldn't have otherwise purchased a Nintendo system. With the Wii, they did something very difficult in that they got people who never played video games to pick up a console. With the Cafe, they may have an even more difficult task ahead of them in trying to take brand loyal consumers away from Sony and Microsoft.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
6950 level power is about the high end of what I would expect from PS4/X3.
Yeah, but what I was saying is that 6950 isn't really the high end now on pc (despite the misleading name, a 6950 is just the new x850 line) ,a gtx570 is much more powerful , not to mention the enthousiast stuff like crossfire set ups , 6990 or 580 or even gtx590.

By the time the ps4 is released it will be near the low end scale of graphics cards in both performance and price, just like the 4850 is right now.

I forsee the 6950 going down in value much faster than the the 48xx series did, those cards aged well because of the dissapointing 6xxx series and relatively small upgrade that the 58xx series was (at least if you compare it to the difference between the hd38xx and 48xx).

The 7xxx series will be 28nm cards so the difference will be significant, making the 6850 look aged really quickly.
It's a miracle that a 4850 is still worth like 50 dollars second hand and 80 new after all these years.

kevinski

Banned
This comparison really isn't very accurate. Consoles tend to have less robust processors when compared to the respective PC processors, while consoles are also dealing with far less software under the hood (in that they don't need to deal with an entire OS running in the background).

wsippel

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Yeah, but what I was saying is that 6950 isn't really the high end now on pc (despite the misleading name, a 6950 is just the new x850 line) ,a gtx570 is much more powerful , not to mention the enthousiast stuff like crossfire set ups , 6990 or 580 or even gtx590.

By the time the ps4 is released it will be near the low end scale of graphics cards in both performance and price, just like the 4850 is right now.
Price is pretty much irrelevant. Power consumption/ TDP is the elephant in the room - current high end GPUs consume significantly more power than high end GPUs from 2005. Unless Sony and MS go for massive aluminum cases and water cooling, there's no chance in hell they'll use anything currently considered "high end" on the PC side of things even two or three years down the line. I said it once and I'll say it again: You need about 1kW, or 1,000W, to run Samaritan right now. That's five times the power consumption of a launch PS3.

Luckyman

Banned
1GB ram is a a big no-no botleneck if PC/MS/Sony are much higher

Sony hasnt learn anything. NGP uses absolutely bleeding edge CPU and GPU for mobile. 2x everything on the iPad 2. Sony doesnt need to put in a $200 Bluray drive this time around..

watershed

Banned
brochiller said:
And who know, maybe whatever special feature Nintendo has planned for the controller actually will be cool enough to attract gamers who wouldn't have otherwise purchased a Nintendo system. With the Wii, they did something very difficult in that they got people who never played video games to pick up a console. With the Cafe, they may have an even more difficult task ahead of them in trying to take brand loyal consumers away from Sony and Microsoft.

I agree this is gonna be a very interesting part of the console to look forward to. No doubt the cafe will have one or a few surprise/market disruptive features. As you say the question is whether this new gimmick will attract 360 and PS3 gamers or alienate them the way the wii's motion controls did. Though I have read very convincing arguments that the Wii's graphical power was the greater turn off than the motion controls, (though the lack of a second analog for fps was also a very big deal for most gamers).

wsippel said:
Price is pretty much irrelevant. Power consumption/ TDP is the elephant in the room - current high end GPUs consume significantly more power than high end GPUs from 2005. Unless Sony and MS go for massive aluminum cases and water cooling, there's no chance in hell they'll use anything currently considered "high end" on the PC side of things even two or three years down the line. I said it once and I'll say it again: You need about 1kW, or 1,000W, to run Samaritan right now. That's five times the power consumption of a launch PS3.

That's only the case because they are still stuck with the 40nm procede isn't it?
Pushing it way too far.

Nvidia and ati are both making the switch to 28 nm this year, pushing power consumption WAY down.
By 2013 if it still uses a 40nm gpu that would just be plain stupid of them, pc gpu's will be on the 22 nm procede by then.

If it's viable to launch mobile phones and pc cpu's at 32nm already then it sure as hell should be viable to use a 28 nm gpu by then.

artwalknoon said:
I agree this is gonna be a very interesting part of the console to look forward to. No doubt the cafe will have one or a few surprise/market disruptive features. As you say the question is whether this new gimmick will attract 360 and PS3 gamers or alienate them the way the wii's motion controls did. Though I have read very convincing arguments that the Wii's graphical power was the greater turn off than the motion controls, (though the lack of a second analog for fps was also a very big deal for most gamers).

The screen should be superior to motion controls in this regard because it's a cool, supplementary gimmick to compliment a standard button and stick suite as opposed to the total replacement of the standard that the Wiimote was.

donny2112 said:
I'm chalking that up to them talking about CPU speed. It is only a slight increase in CPU speed over 360's tri-core CPU.

That could be it as well, which if that were the case I would question their understanding of how current gen consoles and beyond will have their graphical capabilities determined.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SneakyStephan said:
That's only the case because they are still stuck with the 40nm procede isn't it?
Pushing it way too far.

Nvidia and ati are both making the switch to 28 nm this year, pushing power consumption WAY down.
By 2013 if it still uses a 40nm gpu that would just be plain stupid of them, pc gpu's will be on the 22 nm procede by then.

If it's viable to launch mobile phones and pc cpu's at 32nm already then it sure as hell should be viable to use a 28 nm gpu by then.

Including the die shrink, something like a 6950 would barely fit in the power budget of launch Ps3/360, which I might remind you had serious price, size and reliability issues. At it's current form is a no go.

Darryl

Banned
artwalknoon said:

Watch the dudebros fall head over heels to be able to use their controller as an extended FPS scope.

watershed

Banned
Darryl said:
Watch the dudebros fall head over heels to be able to use their controller as an extended FPS scope.

I could really see this working, especially for local multiplayer. Imagine people trying to screen watch over your shoulder to see if you're about to snipe. I predict chaos and lots of drunk fist fights over this feature, if it happens.

artwalknoon said:
I could really see this working, especially for local multiplayer. Imagine people trying to screen watch over your shoulder to see if you're about to snipe. I predict chaos and lots of drunk fist fights over this feature, if it happens.

If the xbox live cod cliche is anything to go by then it would be akward slapping/pawing fights by underdeveloped 12 year olds with a voice like a thousand nails on a thousand chalkboards.
Aka dudebrats *Tm.

Krowley

antonz said:
WHat people have to realize now with sources is with E3 soon the magazines etc are all getting hands on with the system and games for Post E3 blowout issues.

If this is happening, I will expect more leaks soon. Things always start leaking when the press starts seeing things. Sometimes they leak with cryptic statements and whatnot, but usually we get something. I guess maybe it depends on the NDA.

Doesn't IGN's sources say it'll be a custom R700? I know we all know what the R700 line is by now, but I'm very curious about what kind of custom features might be on it. The 3DS GPU for example uses a weaker version of the PICA supporting only OpenGL 1.1 (or something like that) but with fix function 1.2 effects added in. So now the chip uses less power, yet still capable of doing advance effects.

Personally, I'm hoping for better tessellation hardware. I just like things rounded without the polygonal look.

Or perhaps a combination of fixed function pipeline for more "expensive" DX11 effects. So you'd have a card born to do DX10.1, but also support for DX11 effects without adding more cost to the chip.

Krowley said:
If this is happening, I will expect more leaks soon. Things always start leaking when the press starts seeing things. Sometimes they leak with cryptic statements and whatnot, but usually we get something. I guess maybe it depends on the NDA.

Do you think Nintendo would actually let the press see some games before E3 with a new console reveal though? I can see it happening if it was a secret Wii game, or a console that was already out, but with a new system reveal I don't see them telling anybody anything until E3.

Krowley said:

Not for hardware. Games sure, but i cant remember the last time a magazine got a new generation hardware cover story.

jacksrb

antonz said:

I am really skeptical about this.

I think everyone is waiting to see it at the same time, unless there is third party exclusive or leading on the Nintendo Next.

antonz

Cow Mengde said:
Doesn't IGN's sources say it'll be a custom R700? I know we all know what the R700 line is by now, but I'm very curious about what kind of custom features might be on it. The 3DS GPU for example uses a weaker version of the PICA supporting only OpenGL 1.1 (or something like that) but with fix function 1.2 effects added in. So now the chip uses less power, yet still capable of doing advance effects.

Personally, I'm hoping for better tessellation hardware. I just like things rounded without the polygonal look.

Or perhaps a combination of fixed function pipeline for more "expensive" DX11 effects. So you'd have a card born to do DX10.1, but also support for DX11 effects without adding more cost to the chip.
10.1 does basically everything 11 does just less efficient

antonz

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Anyone think they will show off a "real" big named game at E3(early stage) or will it be tech demos for people to see what the system can do????
Talk is of a first half 2012 launch so we realy should be seeing more than Tech Demos overall. I could see Zelda style tech demos and stuff of games no where near launch but they also have to provide some real stuff

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Anyone think they will show off a "real" big named game at E3(early stage) or will it be tech demos for people to see what the system can do????

Well, devs have had the system for just under a year, so we should see games in a pretty good stage of development right now.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

Well it's going to be playable, so I assume they're going to have something big to play and not just tech demos. I'm really hoping for a new IP they can build off of in the future. Maybe it will be Retro's project, maybe somebody else, but I want to see Nintendo take a risk a make a big budget game that isn't built off of an existing franchise.

Krowley

artwalknoon said:

I honestly think they're going to try making some games particularly aimed at the so-called "dudebros" crowd. These may even come from a 3rd party that they're paying to make the game for them, like the way they paid sega to make the GC F-zero, or the way they paid Team Ninja to make the Metroid game. Some team with real expertise in genres that nintendo doesn't specialize in (FPS, third person shooter, arcadey action beatemup, and others).

I just can't see nintendo suddenly making an awesome FPS with an internal studio, unless they buy a new studio.

Retro is the only internal studio that I could almost see doing that, although, to me, the worst prime game is the one with the most focus on shooting/action (prime 3), and the best is the one with the most focus on adventure elements (prime 1)

watershed

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:

I think they will show multiple real big games including at many from 3rd parties, hopefully playable along with trailers or at least screenshots. If the system is easy to develop for, as rumors suggest, and will be releasing in the earlier part of 2012 then games should be pretty far along already.

antonz said:
10.1 does basically everything 11 does just less efficient

Really? I didn't know that. I pretty much stopped caring after DX9. I could have sworn DX11 added tessellation, didn't it? Or at least better support for it, right? More efficient is always a good thing.

antonz

Cow Mengde said:
Really? I didn't know that. I pretty much stopped caring after DX9. I could have sworn DX11 added tessellation, didn't it? Or at least better support for it, right? More efficient is always a good thing.
11 is honestly alot of improvements on existing tech from 10.1

10 was flawed in alot of ways so never gained traction nevermind the fact developers didnt want to drop 9. 11 makes the flaws in 10 basically gone.

I mean Nintendo sticking with 10.1 still means shader 4.1 instead of Shader 5.0 but thats not gonna be a system killer deal

Top Bottom