• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Big One

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
Twilight Princess sold far more copies (like 4:1 at least iirc) on Wii than it did on GameCube.
That's because Wii Sports exist, pretty much shot up the Wii as one of the highest selling consoles of all time. I doubt a similar IP will be put on Cafe, and I doubt Skyward Sword will be delayed for over a whole year even though it's pretty much close to being finished.

Instro

TekkenMaster said:
Twilight Princess sold far more copies (like 4:1 at least iirc) on Wii than it did on GameCube.

Do you think Nintendo hates money?

Like I said, they could easily have been working on HD graphics for SS for a year already.

Thats because it was released nearly a month prior at the Wii's launch. In this case SS will release on the Wii half a year in advance of the Cafe, therefore most of the sales will be on that platform. Unless your saying Nintendo would delay SS until around the launch time of the Cafe?

Again I dont think the HD upgrade is out of the question, but I dont see it being a launch title.

Aru

TekkenMaster said:

Do you think Nintendo hates money?

Like I said, they could easily have been working on HD graphics for SS for a year already.

They undershipped the GC version on purpose. It doesn't count.

Amir0x said:

Byakuya769 said:
The fuck are you talking about?

Shit like this.

Hiro said:
There is no point in proceeding into the next-gen if your system can't run Samaritan. Epic has said, if next gen consoles from Sony, Nintendo and Microshit can't run Samaritan, they will turn to Apple. Sweeney has already pointed out how impressed he is with Apple's A5 chip and that what Apple comes up with next will exceed the next gen consoles coming from the three aforementioned folks (Nintendo, Sony, Micro-something).

Though far less crazy, this too.

Mr_Brit said:
By the time Sony/MS release their next gen consoles 20nm will be more than ready and will be available in high volume.

Every single Wii 2 rumor thread has the same people talking about how this is going to be so weak compared to the PS4/720 because MS and Sony are going to do things that aren't possible/feasible. I mean shit have you read any of the posts by Hiro in this thread or any of the others? People aren't referencing Nano technologies in reply to him for no reason.

When you have folks who know much more about this stuff, dispelling them in thread after thread, it becomes like Baghdad Bob. That in face of the facts are still convinced that next gen consoles from MS/Sony are going to have 580's, 4 gigs of ram, and be running Samaritan.

From The Dust said:
you mean like it already does?

also, my common sense tells me:

- porting to Cafe would mean they need to rework all the models and textures. not to mention add in effects that are prolly not even there. the Cafe isn't to the Wii as the Wii was to the GCN. we are looking at at least a year of reworking every model

- reworking models means more money put into the game.

- Nintendo already released a trailer for the damn game 2 MONTHS AGO! if the game was being redone, then they wouldn't have done that

Who's to say that that's not exactly what they have been doing for the last year or so?
And why would them showing a new trailer for the version we know about for the console we own, mean that they couldn't be working on a version for a previously unannounced console that they plan to show us @ E3?

- Nintendo would have released a console without a Zelda to call it's own. name a time that has happened (aside from the Virtual Boy)

Does Link's Crossbow Training mean nothing to you? :p

Shin Johnpv said:
Shit like this.

Though far less crazy, this too.

Every single Wii 2 rumor thread has the same people talking about how this is going to be so weak compared to the PS4/720 because MS and Sony are going to do things that aren't possible/feasible. I mean shit have you read any of the posts by Hiro in this thread or any of the others? People aren't referencing Nano technologies in reply to him for no reason.

When you have folks who know much more about this stuff, dispelling them in thread after thread, it becomes like Baghdad Bob. That in face of the facts are still convinced that next gen consoles from MS/Sony are going to have 580's, 4 gigs of ram, and be running Samaritan.

To be fair... Hiro is a joke character.

antonz

AceBandage said:
To be fair... Hiro is a joke character.
Hiro is for sure but there is still alot of pie in the sky people thinking Sony and MS are gonna take some 7XXX series card or something and pop it into the next consoles. Not even the 7XXX series is going to be 20nm

Big One

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
Delay would be only half a year if Cafe comes out in May/June 2012.
That's doubtful but you could continue holding onto your hopes if you wish. Whether Skyward Sword comes onto Cafe eventually is debatable, but it's still going to be released on the Wii this year. There is absolutely no reason to dual-release it to Cafe from a sales-standpoint or from a standpoint of pleasing gamers who have been waiting for a console Zelda for around 5 years now. The game is pretty much close to being finished, also. There is also going to be a series of games released every month from NoJ from Nintendo to finish off the Wii starting with Pandora's Tower this year and Skyward Sword is a part of this.

antonz said:
Hiro is for sure but there is still alot of pie in the sky people thinking Sony and MS are gonna take some 7XXX series card or something and pop it into the next consoles. Not even the 7XXX series is going to be 20nm

The Xbox 1, PS3 and 360 all used current gen gpus available when the console came out.

The PS4 isn't expected to come out until 2014. Using something based on a 7XXX series in 2014 isn't unreasonable.

ReyVGM

PounchEnvy said:
BS Zelda would be perfect for 3DS or Cafe since Nintendo wants to show off that they're serious about online now.

BS Zelda was not "online", it was Live. Live actors doing a broadcast while Zelda Sound & Drama music streamed in the background.

watershed

Banned
Guys, guys, guys...Can we stop talking about stuff that will never happen like SS being a Cafe launch game and return to the complete, and utterly useless speculation about the power of the Cafe, its system features, Nintendo-Steam partnership, and how the Cafe will still lose to Microsoft and Sony because that's how Nintendo rolls, please?

Instro

Big One said:
That's doubtful but you could continue holding onto your hopes if you wish. Whether Skyward Sword comes onto Cafe eventually is debatable, but it's still going to be released on the Wii this year. There is absolutely no reason to dual-release it to Cafe from a sales-standpoint or from a standpoint of pleasing gamers who have been waiting for a console Zelda for around 5 years now. The game is pretty much close to being finished, also. There is also going to be a series of games released every month from NoJ from Nintendo to finish off the Wii starting with Pandora's Tower this year and Skyward Sword is a part of this.

It's possible, particularly considering that the system will be playable at E3 it could indicate they are planning to launch the thing prior to E3 2012.

artwalknoon said:
Guys, guys, guys...Can we stop talking about stuff that will never happen like SS being a Cafe launch game and return to the complete, and utterly useless speculation about the power of the Cafe, its system features, Nintendo-Steam partnership, and how the Cafe will still lose to Microsoft and Sony because that's how Nintendo rolls, please?

So...

You'll be able access Mii Plaza on the controller and interact with friends as your Mii at any time, even during gameplay.
Thoughts?
Instro said:
It's possible, particularly considering that the system will be playable at E3 it could indicate they are planning to launch the thing prior to E3 2012.

It really isn't, though.
This isn't even close to the TP situation, where it was easily portable.
SS would need to be completely reworked for Cafe. Not just graphically, but the entire game would have to be redone for dual analog controls.

ReyVGM said:
BS Zelda was not "online", it was Live. Live actors doing a broadcast while Zelda Sound & Drama music streamed in the background.

It still blows my mind how Nintendo was able to do this in the early 90's.

Instro

AceBandage said:
It really isn't, though.
SS would need to be completely reworked for Cafe. Not just graphically, but the entire game would have to be redone for dual analog controls.

I was saying its possible that the Cafe might be released prior to E3 next year, not that SS would be ported to the system.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
So...

You'll be able access Mii Plaza on the controller and interact with friends as your Mii at any time, even during gameplay.
Thoughts?

More like you can pause mid-game to open Mii plaza on your controller screen and do all that junk. Seriously the 3ds already allows for some minor forms of multi-tasking so if this 6" screen is true and you can't do that it would be a serious let down.

watershed

Banned
Instro said:
I was saying its possible that the Cafe might be released prior to E3 next year, not that SS would be ported to the system.

Cafe will be released prior to E3 2012 in all likelyhood. Iwata stated it will come after March 2012 but the way it was said sounded like just after March, not Holiday 2012 or something like that.

Shin Johnpv said:
Shit like this.

It was pretty bad at first, but it's calmed down quite a bit since then and the discussion has definitely moved to a better place. It's a lot easier to avoid all of that nonsense if the other manufacturers are just not mentioned in this thread.

Poyunch

ReyVGM said:
Yeah I know that but there's no way they'd do that again. It would make much more sense if they did something similar except with streaming online stuff.

JGS

Banned
AceBandage said:
It really isn't, though.
Techinically it could still work off the Wii Controller. It's still easily portable, just not showing off the Cafe's capabilities beyond HD.

I don't think it would be a major Wii release, just another option and purely just an upgrade to HD hopefully for the same price. Typing that made me realize the games are likely going to be 60 bucks which is depressing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ok, so Detective Gaf, what power level do you expect for this thing? (no over 9k jokes)

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

Why on Earth would you think that Cafe would ever arrive at Scenario 5? Absolutely nothing we've read in any seemingly credible rumor source has even hinted at such a thing. The best we've seen anyone say (IGN in this case) is that it would be "significantly" more powerful than the PS360. Now, my interpretation of "significantly" may be different than yours, but I never took that to mean an entire generational leap from the PS360. After the Wii, my expectations may be pitifully low, so the fact that some are saying that Cafe would be even 3-4 times more powerful than the PS360 absolutely blows my mind.

The only way that I could except scenario 5 happening is that it won't be the result of Nintendo going the extra mile, but rather Sony and MS going back one. I have no clue what MS is doing (even rumor-wise), but at least for Sony, I don't see them taking a more conservative approach after coming out with the NGP.

Brera

Banned
Why do people want SS on Cafe so bad?

Nintendo should keep it on Wii and send it out to die. I want a completely new Zelda. No more half assed shit for next gen please Nintendo. Give me the good stuff. Give me a LttP level badassary!

Question: Why would IGN use a video card with 1GB VRAM in addition to two gigs of system RAM? Doesn't that bring the total for their system up to 3 GB? Seems a bit high if they are reporting that 1 GB is the likely total amount even taking to account Windows 7...

I personally hope for 1.5 gigs GDDR5 along with 20 MB eDRAM. I'm sure devs are pushing for more RAM, so maybe around E3, Nintendo will finally cave ala MS with the 360.

Fourth Storm said:
Question: Why would IGN use a video card with 1GB VRAM in addition to two gigs of system RAM? Doesn't that bring the total for their system up to 3 GB? Seems a bit high if they are reporting that 1 GB is the likely total amount even taking to account Windows 7...

I personally hope for 1.5 gigs GDDR5 along with 20 MB eDRAM. I'm sure devs are pushing for more RAM, so maybe around E3, Nintendo will finally cave ala MS with the 360.

I doubt IGN has much insight into the actual components of the Cafe. They were being given rough estimates from developers.

seady said:
The problem is, even if the 3rd party ports on Wii 2 compare favorably with Xbox720/PS4 games, if it is even (VERY) slightly worse the other consoles, it will be ignored by the hardcores. This is especially true when it comes to the gaming press. They always choose a 'default' console when they play 3rd party games, and that 'default' console always get all the coverage and make it sound like that said game is made for that console.
Compared to Wii, getting "non-default" PS3 type sales for the big multiplatform games would generally be a pretty good improvement.
bgassassin said:
This. When was the last time a home console Zelda game didn't take at least three years from announcement to release?
bgassassin said:
That was my fault. I meant to say two years, but even that wouldn't have been totally accurate.
Wind Waker was about 1.5. Skyward Sword might be about the same, unless we count that single piece of artwork from 2009 as its announcement.
Bisnic said:
I'm not sure about this.. what's the point of this when you can already buy them on the Wii's Virtual console. If they're just gonna sell them in a pack for a smaller price, that would be pretty lazy.
Krawlman said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this exactly what they did w/ the Mario anniversary collection?
Not quite. The 4 NES Mario games were available on Virtual Console. The SNES remake containing all of them wasn't, and that's what they released on a Wii disc.

Sammy Samusu said:
All I know is I want Mario Kart Cafe to support 16 players locally.

Anything less won't please me.

On a single system? Not gonna happen. Bluetooth just doesn't have that capability.

bgassassin said:
Nintendo almost "invented the Internet" in the 80s.

Al Gore worked for Nintendo?
:O

antonz

Fourth Storm said:

I dont think IGN is considering video ram when they say 1GB. Their tech guy really isnt very top notch.

THE:MILKMAN

Oblivion said:
Why on Earth would you think that Cafe would ever arrive at Scenario 5? Absolutely nothing we've read in any seemingly credible rumor source has even hinted at such a thing. The best we've seen anyone say (IGN in this case) is that it would be "significantly" more powerful than the PS360. Now, my interpretation of "significantly" may be different than yours, but I never took that to mean an entire generational leap from the PS360. After the Wii, my expectations may be pitifully low, so the fact that some are saying that Cafe would be even 3-4 times more powerful than the PS360 absolutely blows my mind.

The only way that I could except scenario 5 happening is that it won't be the result of Nintendo going the extra mile, but rather Sony and MS going back one. I have no clue what MS is doing (even rumor-wise), but at least for Sony, I don't see them taking a more conservative approach after coming out with the NGP.

I agree the cafe almost certainly won't be scenario 5 but the GAF consensus RE: NGP is that it is quite conservative.

Only the screen is bleeding edge.

Instro

THE:MILKMAN said:
I agree the cafe almost certainly won't be scenario 5 but the GAF consensus RE: NGP is that it is quite conservative.

Only the screen is bleeding edge.

Well, more conservative than their previous designs anyway.

AceBandage said:
Technically, Bluetooth can support up to 8, though 7 is more stable, I believe.

What if there were two Bluetooth receivers in the console? Or is that some sort of fatal misunderstanding of how Bluetooth works?

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be another "Dreamcast", where when the next Sony and Microsoft consoles come around, they trump to Cafe all together.

I'm just trying to imagine: what if Ninty had plugged all leaks for like an extra 2 months and announced and shown and demoed the Wii 2, cold, by total surprise... That will never happen at an E3, will it?

AceBandage said:
On a single system? Not gonna happen. Bluetooth just doesn't have that capability.

Al Gore worked for Nintendo?
:O

He had to have been there. And now they've gone from doing that to having the worst online setup of the three, if from nothing more than being overprotective through friend codes.

celebi23

GAF A60-Rim A said:
I'm just trying to imagine: what if Ninty had plugged all leaks for like an extra 2 months and announced and shown and demoed the Wii 2, cold, by total surprise... That will never happen at an E3, will it?
Nope, I don't think that will ever happen. I can only imagine GAF's reaction if Nintendo actually pulled it off. It would've been amazing.

antonz

GAF A60-Rim A said:
I think the timing of the initial leak was far too coincidental. If Nintendo had a better Fiscal report maybe they wouldnt have let word slip but it was obvious they needed a distraction

GAF A60-Rim A said:

Not anymore.

Instro

Sohter.Nura said:
I really hope this doesn't turn out to be another "Dreamcast", where when the next Sony and Microsoft consoles come around, they trump to Cafe all together.

I dont think it would be that bad of a situation, considering how well Nintendo did with the Wii. At the very least they would have good year or 2 as the top dog console.

Anyway on the subject of bluetooth, wasnt it mentioned on here that bluetooth might not be fast enough to handle streaming games to the controller or something? Is that TransferJet tech a better option if available?

AceBandage said:
Of course they can. 2GB would be best, but 1.5GB would be great.
I'm starting to believe that split memory pools might be better. I wish I knew how much GDDR5 and DDR3 wholesaled for. I get the impression that that for the cost of a gig of GDDR5, they could get 768mb of GDDR5 and a gig of DDR3 for the system memory, but in truth I really have no idea.

Top Bottom