• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Griffin said:
Oh damn, should have known.

My bad.
It's okay. The guy who faked it posted it a lot of places and some stupid blogs picked it up.

I blame them instead of the people who believe the blogs.

antonz

shadyspace said:
If Cafe is Nintendo's Dreamcast it won't end up like the real Dreamcast. They're a competent company.
This is true. There is alot more to the dreamcast situation that goes far beyond technical specs.

Sony used their position of success with the PS1 to Mafia style hit the Dreamcast right out of stores. Sega's poor financial situation made it much easier for Sony to bully them out

TekkenMaster said:
Twilight Princess sold far more copies (like 4:1 at least iirc) on Wii than it did on GameCube.

Do you think Nintendo hates money?

Like I said, they could easily have been working on HD graphics for SS for a year already.

Curious as to what Twilight Princess sold, combined on GCN & Wii compared to Wind Waker.

antonz said:
This is true. There is alot more to the dreamcast situation that goes far beyond technical specs.

Sony used their position of success with the PS1 to Mafia style hit the Dreamcast right out of stores. Sega's poor financial situation made it much easier for Sony to bully them out

And Sega's handling of the Saturn launch burning bridges.

Stephen Colbert said:
The Xbox 1, PS3 and 360 all used current gen gpus available when the console came out.

The PS4 isn't expected to come out until 2014. Using something based on a 7XXX series in 2014 isn't unreasonable.

High-end current gen GPUS during the Xbox1, PS3, 360 days didn't use 280 - 360 watts under load. Times are different now.

Sohter.Nura said:
I really hope this doesn't turn out to be another "Dreamcast", where when the next Sony and Microsoft consoles come around, they trump to Cafe all together.
If Dreamcast had sold several times as well and didn't bleed Sega out of the hardware business even before GCN and Xbox hit the scene, there's really no telling how its multiplatform software situation would've played out.

Alrus

herzogzwei1989 said:
Curious as to what Twilight Princess sold, combined on GCN & Wii compared to Wind Waker.

Combined they sold a little less than 6 mil I think. About 4.5 mil for the Wii version, 1.3 mil for the GC one. Cant find numbers for Wind Waker but it should be around 4m or something.

Alrus

shadyspace said:
If Cafe is Nintendo's Dreamcast it won't end up like the real Dreamcast. They're a competent company.

It seems most people don't really bother to look up Sega's situation before they launched the dreamcast. The Saturn wasn't really a success, and even before then, the Sega CD and the 32x both failed to sell decently. They were bleeding money quite some time before the Dreamcast... So the failure of that console (and probably the terrible management surrounding Shenmue) just sealed their fate.

Even if Nintendo doesn't achieve massive sales with their next console, they're in a much better situation.

Edit : Sorry about the two post in a row, thought I edited :/

AceBandage said:
Of course they can. 2GB would be best, but 1.5GB would be great.

BMF said:
I'm starting to believe that split memory pools might be better. I wish I knew how much GDDR5 and DDR3 wholesaled for. I get the impression that that for the cost of a gig of GDDR5, they could get 768mb of GDDR5 and a gig of DDR3 for the system memory, but in truth I really have no idea.

Nintendo has been "off the wall" with their memory amounts the last couple of consoles. I could see them doing something like 768MB of DDR3 (or 384-512MB of some non-mainstream memory) for main memory and 384-768MB of GDDR5 for graphics.

I just read the IGN article and I think using that article as a way to compare the graphics capabilities of what the Project Cafe vs the PS3 and Xbox 360 is capable of is a rubbish way to do it.

To correctly do the comparison they would need to build comparative PC's with the specs of the 360 and PS3, not actually use the results of the 360 and PS3 and compare them to the PC specs of the Cafe. It's pointless, it's not a comparison at all. They say at the end of the article that the Cafe is not really that much more powerful, I would beg to differ, if a PC with those specs is able to perform 1080p with those kinds of results then imagine an efficient console with those specs? It's a generation leap for sure.

Sorry that I'm late to the thread, I don't like to really follow rumour to closely, but this just boiled my water.

Shin Johnpv said:
Shit like this.

Though far less crazy, this too.

Every single Wii 2 rumor thread has the same people talking about how this is going to be so weak compared to the PS4/720 because MS and Sony are going to do things that aren't possible/feasible. I mean shit have you read any of the posts by Hiro in this thread or any of the others? People aren't referencing Nano technologies in reply to him for no reason.

When you have folks who know much more about this stuff, dispelling them in thread after thread, it becomes like Baghdad Bob. That in face of the facts are still convinced that next gen consoles from MS/Sony are going to have 580's, 4 gigs of ram, and be running Samaritan.

What's your "Ninty Ninty Ninty Ninty..." tag all about?

Edit- alright that's not fair. Yea, there is some crazy speculation, but I don't know if it really has much to do with console warrior stuff, as opposed to just generally bad tech speculation and wishful thinking.

1-D_FTW

ColonialRaptor said:
I just read the IGN article and I think using that article as a way to compare the graphics capabilities of what the Project Cafe vs the PS3 and Xbox 360 is capable of is a rubbish way to do it.

To correctly do the comparison they would need to build comparative PC's with the specs of the 360 and PS3, not actually use the results of the 360 and PS3 and compare them to the PC specs of the Cafe. It's pointless, it's not a comparison at all. They say at the end of the article that the Cafe is not really that much more powerful, I would beg to differ, if a PC with those specs is able to perform 1080p with those kinds of results then imagine an efficient console with those specs? It's a generation leap for sure.

Sorry that I'm late to the thread, I don't like to really follow rumour to closely, but this just boiled my water.

I think most people understand it's total rubbish and are fixated on the important facts... the speculated specs. They're pretty darn good and will definitely outperform their "tests."

1-D_FTW said:
I think most people understand it's total rubbish and are fixated on the important facts... the speculated specs. They're pretty darn good and will definitely outperform their "tests."

Cool :)

Just about in line with IGN's usual reporting, unfortunately the people that read IGN will believe it...

Did the leaked "launch lineup" from 1up get posted in this thread yet?

ReyVGM

ColonialRaptor said:
Cool :)

Just about in line with IGN's usual reporting, unfortunately the people that read IGN will believe it...

Did the leaked "launch lineup" from 1up get posted in this thread yet?

If by "launch lineup" you mean that list with titles like "Mario Cafe" and "Paper Zelda", then yes, it has been posted a million times (along several bans), but it isn't from 1up.

ReyVGM said:
If by "launch lineup" you mean that list with titles like "Mario Cafe" and "Paper Zelda", then yes, it has been posted a million times (along several bans), but it isn't from 1up.

Yeah... it seems totally like someone made up a bunch of crap that they though would be "the coolest launch lineup ever" and posted it as a leak....

Anyone who claims to have anything resembling a complete Cafe E3 lineup at this point is lying. Even at NOA, I'm guessing the only people who would have access to that information are Reggie, the execs who report directly to him, and a handful of those below that tier.

dwu8991

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:

It was more of exercise in demonstrating the power of wii 2. The fact that it could run Crysis 2 in 1080 HD without problems is quite an achievement on a console.

ReyVGM

Father_Brain said:
Anyone who claims to have anything resembling a complete Cafe E3 lineup at this point is lying. Even at NOA, I'm guessing the only people who would have access to that information are Reggie, the execs who report directly to him, and a handful of those below that tier.

And the people that are in charge of the banners, posters, videos, publicity and other related stuff. Also, the guys making sure the conference goes as planned regarding lighting, the video, sound, etc. Oh, and the guys setting up the the show floor too.

ReyVGM said:
And the people that are in charge of the banners, posters, publicity and other related stuff. Also, the guys making sure the conference goes as planned regarding lighting, the video, sound, etc. Oh, and the guys setting up the the show floor too.

Actually, I doubt any of those people know, yet.
They won't be setting up and rehearsing until the week before.

ombz

Father_Brain said:
All of those lists were completely ludicrous anyways

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Personally, at this point, I think it's rather silly to speculate on whether or not the Cafe will be able to handle ports from the PS4/Xbox 720 because:

1.) We don't know the full specs of the Cafe.
2.) We don't have any solid indication of the specs or release timing of the PS4/Xbox 720.
3.) We don't know what level of quality drop consumers will find acceptable.

If we had at least one of these, I could see some purpose to this debate, but as it stands my opinion is "there's far too little information to tell."

Byakuya769 said:
What's your "Ninty Ninty Ninty Ninty..." tag all about?

Edit- alright that's not fair. Yea, there is some crazy speculation, but I don't know if it really has much to do with console warrior stuff, as opposed to just generally bad tech speculation and wishful thinking.

Its because I asked Huelen to never use the term Ninty again, because it was horrible and annoying. Some mod/admin I guess thought it would be wonderful to make that my tag.

Nirolak said:
Personally, at this point, I think it's rather silly to speculate on whether or not the Cafe will be able to handle ports from the PS4/Xbox 720 because:

2.) We don't have any solid indication of the specs or release timing of the PS4/Xbox 720.

If we had at least one of these, I could see some purpose to this debate, but as it stands my opinion is "there's far too little information to tell."

but that's what makes it fun fun fun!

carlo6529

GAF A60-Rim A said:
I'm just trying to imagine: what if Ninty had plugged all leaks for like an extra 2 months and announced and shown and demoed the Wii 2, cold, by total surprise... That will never happen at an E3, will it?

It is to there advantage to let the press know ahead of time.

Nirolak said:

Which consumers are you referring to in point 3?

If it's the dudebros, then we already know that they certainly don't care about the difference between PS2 and Xbox graphics. So if the Wii2--->PS420 is like PS2--->Xbox, then it won't matter one bit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shin Johnpv said:
Its because I asked Huelen to never use the term Ninty again, because it was horrible and annoying. Some mod/admin I guess thought it would be wonderful to make that my tag.
You can send in tag complaints if you're unhappy with your tag. We changed who can set tags and when they get set a while back, but most of the legacy ones are still up. I think Y2Kev handles most of that.

From The Dust said:
but that's what makes it fun fun fun!
I still think it makes more sense to debate and speculate about things like how Nintendo's games can leverage a very large hardware increase to do interesting new things until we at least have a better grasp on what exactly is in the Cafe.

That said, people can obviously debate whatever they want, it's just that I don't think we will gain any useful insight beyond what has already been said.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nirolak said:
You can send in tag complaints if you're unhappy with your tag. We changed who can set tags and when they get set a while back, but most of the legacy ones are still up. I think Y2Kev handles most of that.

Oh yah? 'cause the link in mind is broken (it used to point out that I got my tag defending a LOST episode), and now I can't post anything without it getting quoted to foil whatever I say. I've had it for like 5 years, but it's now its like a noose.

Thread contribution: I'll, uh, post my impressions after I play Cafe at E3?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TekkenMaster said:
Which consumers are you referring to in point 3?

If it's the dudebros, then we already know that they certainly don't care about the difference between PS2 and Xbox graphics. So if the Wii2--->PS420 is like PS2--->Xbox, then it won't matter one bit.
Well, if people are interested in this debate, then we might as well have it.

This is an interesting question, because there seem to be evolving preferences with this.

Let's take Japan for example, a country that plays games almost exclusively on handhelds, which have awful visuals compared to consoles.

Now, Sengoku Basara 3 was a game developed from the ground up for the Wii, and after Samurai Warriors 3 bombed, Capcom did a last minute port to the PS3.

In Japan, the Wii has almost twice the user base as the PS3, and it got an exclusive entry in the biggest third party core series in the nation, Monster Hunter, about a year before the game released, so we know that there is a fairly sizable audience of core gamers that own the platform.

Now, despite there being almost zero visual upgrades with the PS3 version of Sengoku Basara 3 outside of higher resolution and better image quality, and the series primary appealing to women according to Capcom, the PS3 version outsold the Wii version by more than 4 to 1. (358,135 versus 83,317)

Were I Nintendo, this would concern me greatly.

John Harker said:
Oh yah? 'cause the link in mind is broken (it used to point out that I got my tag defending a LOST episode), and now I can't post anything without it getting quoted to foil whatever I say. I've had it for like 5 years, but it's now its like a noose.

Thread contribution: I'll, uh, post my impressions after I play Cafe at E3?
Yes, preferably to Kev as I have been getting a large PM influx lately. :p

Well, it would concern Nintendo... If they weren't already abandoning the Wii.
It's common knowledge that the well is poisoned.

This is why they need to try and spread the focus of the Cafe and foster an environment where any type of game can thrive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
Well, it would concern Nintendo... If they weren't already abandoning the Wii.
It's common knowledge that the well is poisoned.

This is why they need to try and spread the focus of the Cafe and foster an environment where any type of game can thrive.
Yes, I totally agree.

However, it's hard for me to speculate much more as to whether they are doing a good job here until I see their E3 line-up.

If nothing else, we know by the amount of leaks that they have done a good job spreading development kits around.

I just feel we're missing out on some interesting speculation like "What could at least a generation and a half of technology upgrades do for improving Mario and Zelda games?" in favor of retreading debates we don't really have enough information on to analyze especially well.

Well, I've already posted what I think they should do with Mario.
That being make it a huge seamless world like Just Cause 2.
It would be awesome and crazy.

Also, racing games are going to be cool on this thing. You can put the Speedometer and Gears and stuff on the touch screen (or in the case of Mario Kart, you put the items and you can use them by pressing the icon).

DSN2K

Reason for me why the Cafe will not be lacking SPEC wise is Nintendo have taken a good hard look at why the Wii has dropped off so dramatically, Iwata admitted himself Nintendo made errors with the Wii.

Nintendo are very intelligent company and know the market trends better then anyone on average over the years.

They know if the top Multi platform titles don't come to their platform it will struggle long term. Only way they can do that is put something out thats capable of that, It certainly might be weaker then MS/Sony next attempts but I think the gap between the Wii and 360 and the Cafe and 720 will be much smaller.

AceBandage said:
Well, I've already posted what I think they should do with Mario.
That being make it a huge seamless world like Just Cause 2.
It would be awesome and crazy.

the only way I can see this working if it was a Mario RPG like Paper Mario

or Alpha Dream heading with Intelligent coding and modeling! *jizz*

antonz

From The Dust said:
the only way I can see this working if it was a Mario RPG like Paper Mario

or Alpha Dream heading with Intelligent coding and modeling! *jizz*
More Mario RPG less Paper Mario

saunderez

AceBandage said:
Also, racing games are going to be cool on this thing. You can put the Speedometer and Gears and stuff on the touch screen
How does that make racing games any better? So you can emulate real life and can't keep an eye on the speedo and the road at the same time? I'm not seeing any advantage to that.

Nirolak said:

Ahhh I did not know that. Thanks or the info.

Caramello

saunderez said:
How does that make racing games any better? So you can emulate real life and can't keep an eye on the speedo and the road at the same time? I'm not seeing any advantage to that.

Ask all of the Gran Turismo fans who complained when there was no option to turn the HUD off in GT5. Their answer will probably be immersion.

Top Bottom