• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

antonz said:
Well if AMD is to be believed they have a Game Console using their APU coming. Since we can safely rule out Nintendo now its very likely as has been long rumored that its Microsoft.

That gives us a general idea of where they are going GPU wise as the APUs based on DX11 are in the 65XX-66XX series gpu

AMD to my knowledge never said they have a game console using their APU coming? Do you have a link?

If so, it would be a shame. MS and Sony could get a much better bang for their buck if they wait for the 22nm process to be complete before releasing their next console.

antonz said:
Well if AMD is to be believed they have a Game Console using their APU coming. Since we can safely rule out Nintendo now its very likely as has been long rumored that its Microsoft.

That gives us a general idea of where they are going GPU wise as the APUs based on DX11 are in the 65XX-66XX series gpu

ie The 720/PS4 will be a half step above the Cafe, but the Cafe will still be able to pull off most of the effects of the other two.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
The AMD 4850 is called the RV770. Here is a comparsion of that, with modern day gpus, to serve as a reference point.

http://i.imgur.com/XytSi.png[ /IMG]

[B]This is why I'm hoping Sony and MS wait for the 22nm process to be complete before releasing their next console.[/B]

At 22nm, they could release something roughly 4x as powerful as whatever gpu shows up in the Wii 2, while maintaining a similar die size and power requirement to the Wii 2's gpu.[/QUOTE]
By the time Sony/MS release their next gen consoles 20nm will be more than ready and will be available in high volume.

Log4Girlz

Time for work. I like these rumors because the hardware appears powerful enough to realize all my wildest dream about how a Nintendo game could look like. They had better put some effort in their graphics engines!

As for Mario, ok open world. ONE HUGE WOW LIKE OPEN WORLD. Towns and objectives are connected via cannons and you can be shot around...no load screens, no trickery...you fly across the full landscape with everything flying around beneath you.

*sigh*

AceBandage said:
ie The 720/PS4 will be a half step above the Cafe, but the Cafe will still be able to pull off most of the effects of the other two.

If the Cafe gpu is designed around 55nm or maybe 40nm as seems to be the case, and the PS4/720 gpus are designed around 22nm, then there will a pretty significant jump in capabilities.

Effects wise, yeah, the Cafe should be able to pull off most of them (unless the 720s gpu is designed around DirectX 11). But the leap in actual capabilities will be fairly large.

antonz

Stephen Colbert said:
AMD to my knowledge never said they have a game console using their APU coming? Do you have a link?

If so, it would be a shame. MS and Sony could get a much better bang for their buck if they wait for the 22nm process to be complete before releasing their next console.
There is an AMD engineer on here that discussed console work for late next year that for obvious reasons cant be outed. Its been long speculated since last year that they would go with the Fusion line because they went with a fusion prototype of sorts when they went with the Slim merging the cpu and gpu.

Krishna is the expected chip for the Xbox3. Krishna is a 28nm chip

Some of the posts in these thread, I can't help but think of this guy.

bagdad_bob_large.gif

"Don't anyone worry, MS and Sony are both traveling into the future to bring back super way advanced unbelievable GPUs so that Nintendo won't be able to come close to them!"

Stephen Colbert said:
If the Cafe gpu is designed around 55nm or maybe 40nm as seems to be the case, and the PS4/720 gpus are designed around 22nm, then there will a pretty significant jump in capabilities.

Effects wise, yeah, the Cafe should be able to pull off most of them (unless the 720s gpu is designed around DirectX 11). But the leap in actual capabilities will be fairly large.

It'll be significant in the way that the Cafe is a significant improvement over the 360/PS3, yes.
Like I said, it'll be about half a leap over it, which makes much less of a difference these days, since engines are scalable fairly easy.

Amir0x

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:

bagdad_bob_large.gif

"Don't anyone worry, MS and Sony are both traveling into the future to bring back super way advanced unbelievable GPUs so that Nintendo won't be able to come close to them!"

eh?

antonz said:
There is an AMD engineer on here that discussed console work for late next year that for obvious reasons cant be outed. Its been long speculated since last year that they would go with the Fusion line because they went with a fusion prototype of sorts when they went with the Slim merging the cpu and gpu.

Krishna is the expected chip for the Xbox3. Krishna is a 28nm chip

I don't believe for a second that Krishna, or variant of it, will be in the Xbox3. I'm sure it'll be some other custom AMD chip.

antonz

herzogzwei1989 said:
I don't believe for a second that Krishna, or variant of it, will be in the Xbox3. I'm sure it'll be some other custom AMD chip.
Krishna would not be that big of a deal to be unbelievable. 2011 CPU tech with 2010 GPU tech

antonz

brain_stew said:
Microsoft releasing a console that's slower than Nintendo's would certainly be a big deal.
That is a potential issue. Both Krishna and Trinity will release in the same window. Trinity is alot more powerful than Krishna so might be the more likely option.

At this point Microsoft is the only logical option for the supposed Consule using an APU. I dont see Sony going that way and on what we know it seems very unlikely Nintendo is the one

AceBandage said:
For a console, unified is probably better.
That way, you can allocate different amounts for different games.

Ok. The reason I asked is based on the possibility that Nintendo does go with 1GB of memory and what might be the better route for that choice. Do you or anyone else think they can get away with 1GB of GDDR5 memory?

bgassassin said:
Ok. The reason I asked is based on the possibility that Nintendo does go with 1GB of memory and what might be the better route for that choice. Do you or anyone else think they can get away with 1GB of GDDR5 memory?

Of course they can. 2GB would be best, but 1.5GB would be great.

antonz said:
That is a potential issue. Both Krishna and Trinity will release in the same window. Trinity is alot more powerful than Krishna so might be the more likely option.

At this point Microsoft is the only logical option for the supposed Consule using an APU. I dont see Sony going that way and on what we know it seems very unlikely Nintendo is the one

You're still probably looking at a 640SP GPU at best, whereas latest rumors are pointing to Nintendo using a 800SP part. I just can't see it, sorry.

Shin Johnpv said:

bagdad_bob_large.gif

The fuck are you talking about?

ReyVGM

Cow Mengde said:
A rom dump of the BS Zelda games. We never got those games.

Not gonna happen. The BS Zelda games had live content such as music and voices which are now lost. Unless Nintendo has the original scripts on storage somewhere.

ReyVGM

AceBandage said:
Just hours before their conference...
So glad I took the 7th off!

I sure hope this year nothing fuckwad happens!

Last year I miscalculated the time and missed the conference and the previous year there was a power outage here.

I also missed the mindblown Twilight Princess fuckfest conference in 2004, I don't remember why.

ReyVGM

shadyspace said:
The BS Zeldas were shit. Screw that.

No they weren't. They are basically extra quests for both Zelda 1 and LttP and that's always good.

Green Scar said:
Wasn't Zelda BS just a graphics update of Zelda 1?

No.

There were two BS Zeldas based on Zelda 1. Basically a third and fourth quest. The last one had a different overworld map too.

And there was one BS Zelda based on LttP. Same overworld, but different dungeons.

ReyVGM said:
I sure hope this year nothing fuckwad happens!

Last year I miscalculated the time and missed the conference and the previous year there was a power outage here.

I also missed the mindblown Twilight Princess fuckfest conference in 2004, I don't remember why.

Haha, well, if you're not working that day, just get up early and glue yourself to GAF.
I'll probably get up early, do a jog around the neighborhood, then sit my ass down for some E3ing!

Big One

Banned
I think the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past are supposed to become 3D Classics this year. I think that'll be the surprise aside form some merchandising.

ReyVGM said:
No.

There were two BS Zeldas based on Zelda 1. Basically a third and fourth quest. The last one had a different overworld map too.

And there was one BS Zelda based on LttP. Same overworld, but different dungeons.

Ah, OK, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm surprised by how many people think Nintendo will simply let Skyward Sword languish on a dead Wii console.

An upgraded SS (perhaps with a ground-up graphics engine) is almost certainly coming to Cafe.

TekkenMaster said:
I'm surprised by how many people think Nintendo will simply let Skyward Sword languish on a dead Wii console.

An upgraded SS (perhaps with a ground-up graphics engine) is almost certainly coming to Cafe.

No, it really isn't.
That would take time. So, either they'll release it on the Wii this year, and re-release it next year/2013 or it'll just release on Wii.
There will be no Cafe exclusive or Cafe parallel release.

methodman

Banned
TekkenMaster said:

Every new console Zelda game will be released for the launch of every new nintendo system, lol

TekkenMaster said:

based on what?

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
No, it really isn't.
That would take time. So, either they'll release it on the Wii this year, and re-release it next year/2013 or it'll just release on Wii.
There will be no Cafe exclusive or Cafe parallel release.

Of course its not gonna happen but more than anything I don't get people who want it to happen. Why would anyone want the first HD Zelda to be a port of a Wii game instead of an original entry? It reminds me of whenever a new system is announced everyone asks for ports and remakes instead of original content. I don't get it.

From The Dust said:
based on what?

Based on common sense, and the fact that Nintendo wants to make money.

And the Zelda team surely would appreciate their latest masterwork getting the recognition (sales, press, and critics) that it deserves, instead of being ignored by all but the most hardcore of the Nintendo faithful who haven't yet sold their Wiis.

watershed

Banned
TekkenMaster said:

And the Zelda team surely would appreciate their latest masterwork getting the recognition (sales, press, and critics) that it deserves, instead of being ignored by all but the most hardcore of the Nintendo faithful who haven't yet sold their Wiis.

The only way it happens is if Nintendo decides to release HD editions of Wii games like a "new play control" series for the cafe. Other than that SS will not be delayed or simul released for the wii and cafe.

Big One

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
The Wii is not dead, it's just that sales are. Of course people aren't going to buy a Wii for Skyward Sword...everyone already has one. Skyward Sword will sell a lot because it's a Zelda game, simple as that. If a Mario/Pokemon game is released next year for the Wii, it'll sell millions.

Considering that there was a new Wii trailer released in March, the sheer volume of work required to bring SS' visuals up to HD quality would probably put it out of Cafe's launch window. Maybe it'd be possible if Cafe launches in Q4, rather than Q2 as I currently expect.

I would love it if the Wii got to keep SS but Cafe got an HD 2D version of Alttp. I want the Cafe Zelda to be built from the ground up. No last minute stuff.

Father_Brain said:
Considering that there was a new Wii trailer released in March, the sheer volume of work required to bring SS' visuals up to HD quality would probably put it out of Cafe's launch window.

I suspect Nintendo has been working on HD assets for SS for a long time - maybe over a year.

TekkenMaster said:

you mean like it already does?

also, my common sense tells me:

- porting to Cafe would mean they need to rework all the models and textures. not to mention add in effects that are prolly not even there. the Cafe isn't to the Wii as the Wii was to the GCN. we are looking at at least a year of reworking every model

- reworking models means more money put into the game.

- Nintendo would have released a console without a Zelda to call it's own. name a time that has happened (aside from the Virtual Boy)

- Nintendo already released a trailer for the damn game 2 MONTHS AGO! if the game was being redone, then they wouldn't have done that

watershed

Banned
From The Dust said:
you mean like it already does?

also, my common sense tells me:

- porting to Cafe would mean they need to rework all the models and textures. not to mention add in effects that are prolly not even there. the Cafe isn't to the Wii as the Wii was to the GCN. we are looking at at least a year of reworking every model

- reworking models means more money put into the game.

- Nintendo would have released a console without a Zelda to call it's own. name a time that has happened (aside from the Virtual Boy)

- Nintendo already released a trailer for the damn game 2 MONTHS AGO! if the game was being redone, then they wouldn't have done that

Dude, relax, TekkenMaster clearly works for Nintendo and knows what's up on the inside.
Seriously though, outside of a "HD Replay Edition" line up of Wii games, like Wii's "new play control" line, SS HD ain't happening.

Instro

TekkenMaster said:

Nintendo games sell regardless of what the console is doing, and the Wii is far from dead. Why would they waste time upgrading SS for the Cafe when they can start working on the next installment? Also, porting a game from the Wii to their new system is certainly not the way to show off its capabilities.

I could see Nintendo re-releasing some Wii/GC games as HD upgrade collections similar to what Sony has done with GoW and such, but they certainly wouldn't launch the Cafe with it.

For the new page...
Stephen Colbert said:
The AMD 4850 is called the RV770. Here is a comparsion of that, with modern day gpus, to serve as a reference point.

XytSi.png

This is why I'm hoping Sony and MS wait for the 22nm process to be complete before releasing their next console.

At 22nm, they could release something roughly 4x as powerful as whatever gpu shows up in the Wii 2, while maintaining a similar die size and power requirement to the Wii 2's gpu.

Instro said:
Nintendo games sell regardless of what the console is doing, and the Wii is far from dead. Why would they waste time upgrading SS for the Cafe when they can start working on the next installment?

Twilight Princess sold far more copies (like 4:1 at least iirc) on Wii than it did on GameCube.

Do you think Nintendo hates money?

Like I said, they could easily have been working on HD graphics for SS for a year already.

AceBandage said:
Likely, next gen will see UE3.5 as the major focus, which of course the Cafe will easily be able to run.
Gen 8 is likely going to be the smallest upgrade in graphics ever. Gen 9 might be bigger, even.

If you take IQ and framerate into account, the difference will still be quite large, considering few current gen console games meet any kind of reasonable IQ standard.
It's been said here before, it's unfair to compare the graphics you'll get to what you see now when you take the pathetic resolution, framerates, texture filtering quality etc into account.
The amount of shadow and texture pop-in and lod jumping that you see on ps360 is just obnoxious.
(which is why I've been thoroughly unimpressed by the 'awsum psthree graphix' that fans have boasted every time a new big budget game gets released.
There's nothing impressive about it if you have to cheat like a mofo to get there)

I think most of us saw it coming ages ago that the next gen would spend half it's relative extra power just in bringing quality standards back up.
Current gen games are getting closer and closer to tech demo scale too, with tiny enclosed areas, a lot of visual trickery, agressive LOD, loading screens out the ass ,the return of 2d skyboxes and backgrounds and even sprites , high poly models and face textures along with poor polycounts in just about everything else etc etc.
I've never seen such visually inconsistent games as this gen.

Imo it's only fair to compare the graphics of 60 fps true 720p games on ps360 to whatever we'll see on cafe, ps4 and xbox 3.

Just getting rid of the current soft looking, jaggy , tearing garbled inconsistent mess of current games will be a blessing on it's own.
In a way I love the irony, console devs bullshitting buyers by dropping standards in favor of fidelity for years, and now it is going to bite them in the ass SO hard when trying to sell their new hardware to those same people who bought their bullshit before.
Trying to convince them that it really is better.

How much do you want to bet that much of the marketing will shift back to framerates/smoothness of play/sharp picture quality etc.
Sony and MS are always ready to sing whatever new gospel is most convenient to them, shown clearly by how much they tried to sell people on the framerates, lack of pop up/fog when ps2 was launched then totally ignored these standards with the ps3.

Top Bottom