• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Log4Girlz

herzogzwei1989 said:
I had often imagined Nintendo's next console using the mighty RV770 as the basis for its GPU. Now it seems somewhat likely. People just don't understand what kind of a leap this would be from the old Flipper architecture made faster in the Wii.

Well if true, and with optimization the machine can safely reproduce any graphics currently on PC though at a lower resolution. A massive leap over the Wii. The Wii is incapable of producing any graphics in any way shape or form on par with even a low end PC graphics card. Shit don't get confused, I mean personal computer, even though I've been using PC for Project Cafe too :p

Anyway. I just can't imagine Nintendo's cartoony games evolving much even though they have a massive amount of room to do so. I think every one of the IP's they choose to whore out should have a change of art style, just to emphasize the leap in graphics. And its been asked, and answered several times about what IP in particular would be best to show off the hardware. With the styles they choose...truly none come to mind. Because whatever they choose will be vastly different than what I would considering my taste.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The first things coming to my mind while watching this 'leak' are jokes about girls and inches.

ecosse_011172

Why do people persist with this "Cartoony style" visuals don't benefit from added horsepower bullshit?
Has no-one played the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games?

The amount of tards that would have nothing but "realistic" drab, dull grey/brown environments is truly depressing.

Log4Girlz

ecosse_011172 said:
Why do people persist with this "Cartoony style" visuals don't benefit from added horsepower bullshit?
Has no-one played the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games?

The amount of tards that would have nothing but "realistic" drab, dull grey/brown environments is truly depressing.

Oh a cartoony style can benefit like any other, hugely so. But what art style does Nintendo choose exactly? I'm not a fan of Cupie doll Mario. I'm totally sick of him. I didn't care for Pie-face link, don't care for semi-metrosexual anime Link. There are cartoony styles that I think will work fabulously, and others I would rather not see.

Log4Girlz said:
Well if true, and with optimization the machine can safely reproduce any graphics currently on PC though at a lower resolution. A massive leap over the Wii. The Wii is incapable of producing any graphics in any way shape or form on par with even a low end PC graphics card. Shit don't get confused, I mean personal computer, even though I've been using PC for Project Cafe too :p

Anyway. I just can't imagine Nintendo's cartoony games evolving much even though they have a massive amount of room to do so. I think every one of the IP's they choose to whore out should have a change of art style, just to emphasize the leap in graphics. And its been asked, and answered several times about what IP in particular would be best to show off the hardware. With the styles they choose...truly none come to mind. Because whatever they choose will be vastly different than what I would considering my taste.

Not all Nintendo's games are cartoony. Twilght Princess wasn't. Can you imagine an even larger world with graphics as good as if not better than thos of Skyrim? I don't mean a bloody, gritty, realistic world (TP's wasn't exactly) but one made in the image of TP, a vast, vast world to explore with fewer boundries. Something that looks more CG-like than photoreal. Even with the cartoony styles, Nintendo can improve their graphics vastly. Aiming for a Pixar style is what I see. EAD Tokyo seemed to move in that direction with Galaxy.

E-phonk

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Oh a cartoony style can benefit like any other, hugely so. But what art style does Nintendo choose exactly? I'm not a fan of Cupie doll Mario. I'm totally sick of him. I didn't care for Pie-face link, don't care for semi-metrosexual anime Link.

Then I guess those games just aren't for you. Nintendo won't change the way mario looks too much, and I'm glad they don't. Galaxy-mario looks great.

Personally I would love an HD super mario world/galaxy, a fantastic cell shaded zelda adventure, a cell shaded pokemon RPG and a crazy creative stylized yoshi game.

I also hope for at least one new IP that totally surprises.

Log4Girlz

herzogzwei1989 said:
Not all Nintendo's games are cartoony. Twilght Princess wasn't. Can you imagine an even larger world with graphics as good as if not better than thos of Skyrim? I don't mean a bloody, gritty, realistic world (TP's wasn't exactly) but one made in the image of TP, a vast, vast world to explore with fewer boundries. Something that looks more CG-like than photoreal. Even with the cartoony styles, Nintendo can improve their graphics vastly. Aiming for a Pixar style is what I see. EAD Tokyo seemed to move in that direction with Galaxy.

Well, Twilight Princess was a bit cartoony, it just wasn't toon shaded or anything. Link is all anime style, shoot everyone is cartoony man. Not at all compatible with a style like Skyrim. Sure they could make one, but that's not the natural progression.

E-phonk said:
Then I guess those games just aren't for you. Nintendo won't change the way mario looks too much, and I'm glad they don't. Galaxy-mario looks great.

Personally I would love an HD super mario world/galaxy, a fantastic cell shaded zelda adventure, a cell shaded pokemon RPG and a crazy creative stylized yoshi game.

I also hope for at least one new IP that totally surprises.

Well, I enjoy playing the games somewhat...I own Galaxy and TP, I just have to finish them off. I totally enjoy the graphic style of everything in Galaxy immensely other than Mario. He is a cupie doll, I mean just slap a hat and mustache on one and its Mario. I would prefer another, perfectly cartoony rendition of him where he didn't look that way.

As for Zelda, I swear by the look of Ni no kuni. Fucking get studio Ghibli on that shit. For over a decade now I've imagined my perfect Zelda movie to be an animated epic by that legendary studio. Fucking legendary...they are the best animation studio to ever exist.

Edit: Let me link this shit again. LOOK AT THIS SHIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzj-QIY1bEk I love this style so much.

I think in some games they'll experiment with a huge amount of independent objects on screen rather than a bump in detail. Mario with better textures won't be the first thing on their mind, thankfully. I'll save any thoughts on visual style for that other thread.

Triton55

Log4Girlz said:
Well, I enjoy playing the games somewhat...I own Galaxy and TP, I just have to finish them off. I totally enjoy the graphic style of everything in Galaxy immensely other than Mario. He is a cupie doll, I mean just slap a hat and mustache on one and its Mario. I would prefer another, perfectly cartoony rendition of him where he didn't look that way.
*googles cupie doll*
..What the hell? Mario doesn't look like that.

Log4Girlz

Graphics Horse said:
I think in some games they'll experiment with a huge amount of independent objects on screen rather than a bump in detail. Mario with better textures won't be the first thing on their mind, thankfully. I'll save any thoughts on visual style for that other thread.

Yeah, I agree actually. I mean, the next Mario and Zelda I fully expect to look...on a technical level, nothing out of reach of an Xbox 360. I mean, if rumors are true this machine will be up to 4x as powerful *crosses fingers*, but it will be the third parties that show off what the machine can do, not Nintendo.

I hope to be proven wrong!

Krowley

Log4Girlz said:
Yeah, I agree actually. I mean, the next Mario and Zelda I fully expect to look...on a technical level, nothing out of reach of an Xbox 360. I mean, if rumors are true this machine will be up to 4x as powerful *crosses fingers*, but it will be the third parties that show off what the machine can do, not Nintendo.

I hope to be proven wrong!

I think 3rd parties will probably just bring ports from the other two systems without upgrading them, while nintendo are more likely to push the machine to its limits. Maybe not every nintendo game, but I think some of them will push the limits.

Unless third party games are directly financed by nintendo, they probably won't be designed to take full advantage of the hardware, since they'll be built to work well on all three systems as a first priority. That's my guess anyway.

Edit// also, holy crap at ni no kuni!!

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
You'd need to hire an incredibly shitty coder to make a R770 perform worse than a R500.

and the shitty coders are on the c-teams who are familiar with nintendo consoles anyway so let's just have evan and the guys handle this port.

Log4Girlz

E-phonk said:
Yeah, I'd love that too.

I'd also like to see Nintendo do a cell shaded pokemon game instead of a 3D one.

Yeah that would be pretty awesome. For Mario, I picture a Toy-story or Gnomeo and Juliet type living toy look, while Zelda and Pokemon seem ideal for Cell-shading.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yoshi said:
The rule is: Don't believe positive news (Café is super powerful, costs a whim, has all kinds of exclusive games and will release tomorrow), but believe negative news (Nintendo is butchering controls...) ;).

That's one way to avoid disappointment!

Lupin the Wolf said:
The more skeptical among us are asleep right now.

Sound the horn!

Log4Girlz said:
...I WANT TO BELIEVE.

3VqqL.jpg

antonz said:
Nothing IGN has revealed so far is crazy enough to have much doubt.

If they had come out and said it would be in the 5850 or higher range then I would be skeptical.

everything said so far meshes with everyone else
Nirolak said:
Yeah, the issue with IGN is that many of their articles are affronts to humanity or the English language; their rumor accuracy on the other hand is pretty solid.

It just seems strange that in the space of 2 or 3 weeks scepticism has decreased exponentially for seemingly no particular reason. Or is that just how the cookie crumbles with console hardware rumours? :p

Log4Girlz

JaseC said:
That's one way to avoid disappointment!

Sound the horn!

3VqqL.jpg

It just seems strange that in the space of 2 or 3 weeks scepticism has decreased exponentially for seemingly no particular reason. Or is that just how the cookie crumbles with console hardware rumours? :p

Well, IGN seems so insistent on the type of hardware, and from what we can tell, that hardware will be a modest jump in power from the Xbox 360. Its nothing crazy really, and some would even accuse of being too conservative if true! We just want to picture what Nintendo COULD do with truly beefy hardware, even if it isn't the most modern GPU in the world...its probably the best you could realistically expect from anyone launching next year. This is a vast step up from the Wii, which was two fucking gamecubes stuck together. The gamecube was so awesome for its time on a hardware level (sure, quirks abounded, but it still produced great graphics and was cheap).

Now, if this thing turns out to be exactly like a 360, I would be disappointed, but not shocked, I'm just letting my imagination fly a bit...but I do have a skeptical cynical side which is half expecting that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Log4Girlz said:
Well, IGN seems so insistent on the type of hardware, and from what we can tell, that hardware will be a modest jump in power from the Xbox 360. Its nothing crazy really, and some would even accuse of being too conservative if true! We just want to picture what Nintendo COULD do with truly beefy hardware, even if it isn't the most modern GPU in the world...its probably the best you could realistically expect from anyone launching next year. This is a vast step up from the Wii, which was two fucking gamecubes stuck together. The gamecube was so awesome for its time on a hardware level (sure, quirks abounded, but it still produced great graphics and was cheap).

Now, if this thing turns out to be exactly like a 360, I would be disappointed, but not shocked, I'm just letting my imagination fly a bit...but I do have a skeptical cynical side which is half expecting that.

I see.

Log4Girlz said:

A 4x increase in GPU speed would be a 'modest' upgrade!?

I'm not even sure we'll hear specs @ e3. Hell when did Nintendo give specific specs for the wii ? Nintendo never gave the specs for the 3ds either.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The Bookerman said:
I'm not even sure we'll hear specs @ e3. Hell when did Nintendo give specific specs for the wii ? Nintendo never gave the specs for the 3ds either.

There are plenty of leak and verified specs for both. Most of the time even when it comes to sony and ms as well you never find out proprietary tech or how it works.

The Bookerman said:

Meh. I won't give too much of a shit about specs after we have gameplay footage and hands-on impressions.

Log4Girlz

brain_stew said:
A 4x increase in GPU speed would be a 'modest' upgrade!?

Why yes it would lol. If we go by previous generational leaps it is modest. And no, don't give me that its ginormous compared to the Wii, that fucker pussied out of this generation and is technically inferior to the Xbox 360 :p A 10X increase would be a bit more in-line if not still a little less than previous generational leaps.

Still awesome though don't get me wrong, and from this point forward expecting 10x and above improvements from generation to generation is pretty unrealistic. I do not consider this machine a Dreamcast, its simply the weakest of the machines to come, much like the PS2.

*ducks*

disco

Does IGN even have any reputation or relevance anymore? Would Nintendo really allow IGN insight over any other in 2011? No one even cares about IGN anymore.. right? :-/

Woffls

discocaine said:
Does IGN even have any reputation or relevance anymore? Would Nintendo really allow IGN insight over any other in 2011? No one even cares about IGN anymore.. right? :-/
lol, Nintendo haven't 'allowed' any of the rumours so far. Aside from the press release, it's all been leaked through developers and publishers. IGN are the biggest and they have the best contacts, so, as pitifully shit as their editorial is, their rumours are more reliable than most.

[edit] And I take it this got posted somewhere already?

Log4Girlz

Woffls said:
lol, Nintendo haven't 'allowed' any of the rumours so far. Aside from the press release, it's all been leaked through developers and publishers. IGN are the biggest and they have the best contacts, so, as pitifully shit as their editorial is, their rumours are more reliable than most.

[edit] And I take it this got posted somewhere already?

Yep. Faaaaaaaaake.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The controller in his drawings is also featured next to the world's largest gamecube controller.

Well of course, the one in the video is bordering on the area of two side-by-side iPads. To go to that trouble and not realise how absurdly large the controller looks is a bit of a waste.
I blame IGN for their original photoshop mockup

JGS

Banned
Krowley said:
I think 3rd parties will probably just bring ports from the other two systems without upgrading them, while nintendo are more likely to push the machine to its limits. Maybe not every nintendo game, but I think some of them will push the limits.

Unless third party games are directly financed by nintendo, they probably won't be designed to take full advantage of the hardware, since they'll be built to work well on all three systems as a first priority. That's my guess anyway.

Edit// also, holy crap at ni no kuni!!
This is the part that worries me. I think Nintendo did this with the Gamecube, I don't think they did it with the Wii. I really think they took the power is not important thing seriously on all counts once the Wii became a hit. Most of the games outside of Mario or Metroid looked like straight ports from Gamecube to me.

3rd parties offering though looked like PS/2, so I guess Nintendo did try harder even now.

I do think they will show the best the system has to offer early, but I'm afraid they'll get lazy if it's a success.

Log4Girlz

Welp, just to keep this thread going a bit, time to steal from the Zelda HD thread. I mean, why not, Cafe should handle HD with aplomb. This is definitely Nintendo's most flexible IP when it comes to art style. I will not repost Ni No Kuni :p but below are some nice possibilities.

I'm totally digging this first pic:

Why would you do that? said:
I did a "colorful" mock-up in another thread with this picture, but I can't find it, so here's my quick and dirty one:
uJcHS.jpg

A totally different look, but still sweet sweet

MasterShotgun said:
Someone posted this picture in the Zelda Art thread.

lbj9q.jpg

I would give my left testicle for the next game to look like that.

But somehow I'm expecting this :(

In_Her_Eyes_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg

in7hbq.jpg

2mhucxs.jpg

I mean the above doesn't look bad at all, but its nothing this generation couldn't muster pretty easily.

From The Dust said:
I just realized the only time I was wowed by cel-shading was No More Heroes 2. If that was actually 3D then Level 5 got nothing on them

NMH2 is a gorgeous game.
Another example of a game that was produced with semi HD assets for the Wii.
Dolphin%202011-02-06%2010-14-46-40.bmp

swerve

Graphics Horse said:
but well done getting it featured on Edge.

Edge-online != Edge.

When your motivation is clicks and rivalry with the other blogs, editorial integrity and those tricky facts all go out the window.

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37705/VIDEO-Nintendo-allegedly-demonstrating-Wii-2

Video which shows Nintendo's new system and controller.

edit: okay, I see that it has after going back a few pages.

Its going to be really interesting to see how they can differentiate this system from the other HD consoles other than just having Nintendo first party software. And its also going to be interesting to see if they get "dreamcasted" by the competition in a year or two.

infinityBCRT said:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37705/VIDEO-Nintendo-allegedly-demonstrating-Wii-2

Its going to be really interesting to see how they can differentiate this system from the other HD consoles other than just having Nintendo first party software. And its also going to be interesting to see if they get "dreamcasted" by the competition in a year or two.

Difference is... Nintendo isn't Sega.

Why do you think Nintendo doesn't release their games on other platforms like a PC or the App Store, Android Store, etc...? Because that way they preserve the value of their games... that's way they won't never going to get "Dreamcasted"... because millions of people wants to play Nintendo games, and the only way is going to be on a Nintendo console.

jacksrb

While that video is super fake, I was surprised how compelling even that having a drawn controller with the video screen pushing nice visuals.

That made me think of weird ways that Nintendo could introduce Project Cafe.

How about this:
- Lights down
- HD visuals example of the featured Cafe launch title
- Camera pulls back to reveal that the video is running in the controller
- Iwata / Reggie walks back on stage with controller in hand, demo starts

Log4Girlz

infinityBCRT said:

Third time's the charm.

Edit: And...man if the fucking Wii wasn't Dreamcasted, the Cafe won't be. Sure it didn't release first in a generation, but I would say releasing after a major rival with ARCHAIC hardware in comparison is actually a far worse proposition and shows they only learn their own lessons and don't give a fuck about other people's missteps.

jacksrb said:
While that video is super fake, I was surprised how compelling even that having a drawn controller with the video screen pushing nice visuals.

That made me think of weird ways that Nintendo could introduce Project Cafe.

How about this:
- Lights down
- HD visuals example of the featured Cafe launch title
- Camera pulls back to reveal that the video is running in the controller
- Iwata / Reggie walks back on stage with controller in hand, demo starts
Doesn't sound practical to me. What would be shown on the tv then?

jacksrb

From The Dust said:
Doesn't sound practical to me. What would be shown on the tv then?

I won't pretend that it is 'well thought out', but the big screens would show a capture of what is happening on the screen with a camera, then the camera would pull out so you could see that it was running on the screen.

Just spit ballin'.

Reggie walks on stage and talks about the Wii and DS and what they mean for the future of Nintendo.
Ten minutes later his hands reach up to his face, and he removes his face.
It turns out it was Iwata standing there all along, and Reggie's face is just video streaming through the controller.

1-D_FTW

Can't believe that stupid video got any traction. The screen looked stupid as a screenshot when it was originally made, but seeing the video and how unnaturally it's incorporated removes all remaining doubt (that .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent) that it was a photoshop.

Top Bottom