• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

dwu8991

Banned
TruePrime said:
As far as I remember that is a very werid way to put that.

Activision and Viv merged and they just promoted Blizzards name, but it was a pretty equal thing and not like Activision really acquired anyone.

Perfect Gay Marriage at least in dollar terms.

AceBandage said:
We'll see.
Iwata has stated several times that he knows they fucked up with the Wii and DS online, and that to stay relevant they need to move forward.
And it meshes with their wanted to make gaming a more social experience.

True, true.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I couldn't wait, so I decided to do my own E3 Bingo Card.

Here's a template for you guys (the E3 Logo is a free-by.)

IheI6.jpg

All squares are 100x100, so if you want to put images in them, put them 99x99 or smaller.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We could probably have a new thread dedicated to Nintendo's potential partnership for online, and call upon the GAF detective collective to see who would be available and who is most likely.

guek

Banned
DragonKnight said:
I think IGN knows a lot more than they are letting on. I know GAF gives them a lot of flak but I think they have shown that they definitely have inside sources. I believe this is why they are so adamant about the Cafe's specs. You can bet they have a basic knowledge of the games that will be shown as well. It better not be a port fest. If their intention is to bring the "core" gamer back then games like Bioshock, Elder Scrolls IV, and the like will have already been experienced by said group long ago

I think they probably know a bit more than they've divulged (though not as much as you're suggesting), but that they're also prone to hyperbole.

Instro

EatChildren said:
We could probably have a new thread dedicated to Nintendo's potential partnership for online, and call upon the GAF detective collective to see who would be available and who is most likely.

It will probably be some random networking solutions company.

EatChildren said:

Again: "Network services" is a general term for Internet-based features and does not necessarily have anything to do with online play.

EatChildren said:
It's already eaten up significant portions of the last few threads, but if you wish to, have fun. I know I'll continue to vote Valve until someone points out a really, truly valid argument against the possibility.

dwu8991

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Again: "Network services" is a general term for Internet-based features and does not necessarily have anything to do with online play.

Nintendo wiiConnect 24 had some interesting features, I always looked forward to seeing my wii light up!

Beth Cyra

IsntChrisL said:
What are the odds Nintendo details the specs, really?

I'm guessing low.

They never revealed the specs of the Wii or 3DS.

They could try and talk up the system but I think they will try to show off software and try to talk about an "improved" online structure instead of focusing on specs.

big_z

IsntChrisL said:
Won't happen. Instead Iwata will tell you the graphics will make you say wow but in reality the wow will come from how half assed and dated the system is.

watershed

Banned
IsntChrisL said:
I don't think it will happen at all. Not at E3, not after. that kind of stuff will stay private, between Nintendo and devs until someone leaks.

I do kinda wish they would though. Its such a geeky thing to do. Like with the GCN and that demo reel of effects. That kinda stuff would really make fanboys and nerds alike all kinds of happy (assuming the system will impress, power wise).

But if Nintendo did release the specs or demo reel them, everyone would immediately compare it to Samaritan, see that it falls short and go "yep, Nintendo going for the kidz again". So yeah, it won't happen.

antonz

What will likely happen is after E3 a few more sources will be willing to have loose lips as Nintendo will have announced the thing and shown it

Fourth Storm said:
Nobody is going to give a damn about the specs once they see Starfox HD and that ridiculous controller.
As ridiculous as it is, Starfox and F-Zero would both make excellent tech demos of what the GPU can do. They can be very pretty.

J-Rock

Banned
So which games do you guys think could benefit from the touch screen controller? And in what way?

The DS has been doing the second touch screen thing for a while now. Are there any games that stand out as using it wisely?

Looking at that event invitation and speculating cuz I'm bored.

Stream to have circular shaped controller?

Seems bizarre, but it would be comfortable as the Wii Wheel proved. Also would give it an iconic shape ala the WiiRemote which would not be compared to traditional (ugly) controllers despite all the buttons.

Fourth Storm said:
Looking at that event invitation and speculating cuz I'm bored.

Stream to have circular shaped controller?

Seems bizarre, but it would be comfortable as the Wii Wheel proved. Also would give it an iconic shape ala the WiiRemote which would not be compared to traditional (ugly) controllers despite all the buttons.

the rectangles are a DS/3DS motif, the circles are Wii. the wave is speculated to be the Cafe. they have nothing to do with physical objects but they are background motifs. look up DS and Wii promo vids. the Wii ones have a ping and the circles coming from the logo in the beginning

goomba

Banned
J-Rock said:
So which games do you guys think could benefit from the touch screen controller? And in what way?

The DS has been doing the second touch screen thing for a while now. Are there any games that stand out as using it wisely?

Map screen or control layout diagram. I'm thinking the latter may help with Nintendo's stance of helping noobs play their games.

From The Dust said:
the rectangles are a DS/3DS motif, the circles are Wii. the wave is speculated to be the Cafe. they have nothing to do with physical objects but they are background motifs. look up DS and Wii promo vids. the Wii ones have a ping and the circles coming from the logo in the beginning

I know this, but am just entertaining the thought of there being a double meaning to it all. As I said, I'm bored.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its interesting that they'll be pushing hands-on previews. To me this implies that there will definitely be software there to play, rather than tech demos.

rpmurphy

EatChildren said:
Its interesting that they'll be pushing hands-on previews. To me this implies that there will definitely be software there to play, rather than tech demos.
I hope there will be some major upcoming 3rd party titles demoed as well, not just the 1st party ones.

EatChildren

rpmurphy said:
I hope there will be some major upcoming 3rd party titles demoed as well, not just the 1st party ones.

Good news is we shouldn't have to wait long for hands-on previews, since Nintendo have hands-on demos booked for the day of their conference. Probably trying to steal as much thunder from Sony as possible.

Kard8p3

I wonder if Nate comes here often to laugh at our discussions on Project Cafe. We know he has an account here and if I worked for Nintendo I'd do the same.

donny2112

Hcoregamer00 said:
The chances are even higher that Nintendo will not announce any spec details.

Exactly. Also, 512MBs just makes no sense looking at Nintendo historically. You'd basically be expecting them to purposefully increase load times on the system. There's reason to complain about cartridges and the mini-GC discs, but a big part of the reason for their existence was to reduce load times. A big point with Wii was getting the system to startup as quickly as possible. Restricting the system to 512MBs would be totally breaking with fundamental historical goals of Nintendo. *mind baffles*

Edit:
Unless I'm just totally misunderstanding the impact of what 512MBs RAM would do to load times/startup times.

J-Rock

Banned
goomba said:
Map screen or control layout diagram. I'm thinking the latter may help with Nintendo's stance of helping noobs play their games.

Yeah. I could even see games using more handwriting recognition(like Brain Age) if the controller comes with a stylus.

Grampa Simpson said:
As ridiculous as it is, Starfox and F-Zero would both make excellent tech demos of what the GPU can do. They can be very pretty.

I think so too. Both games would be good showcases for whatever GPU Nintendo and AMD have come up with.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
donny2112 said:
Exactly. Also, 512MBs just makes no sense looking at Nintendo historically. You'd basically be expecting them to purposefully increase load times on the system. There's reason to complain about cartridges and the mini-GC discs, but a big part of the reason for their existence was to reduce load times. A big point with Wii was getting the system to startup as quickly as possible. Restricting the system to 512MBs would be totally breaking with fundamental historical goals of Nintendo. *mind baffles*

If they went for the fastest possible ram availible they could just barely get away with 512. 3/4s of a GB might also be what they settle with.

donny2112

Man God said:
If they went for the fastest possible ram availible they could just barely get away with 512.

As seen with using the 24MBs of 1T-SRAM on GameCube, developers don't care as much about the type of RAM as they do the quantity. If Nintendo is building this with third-party developers being considered, it'd be strange to see them repeat that path.

Someone before mentioned the possibility of a split RAM pool. I'm thinking maybe 512 MB GDDR5 and 512 MB DDR3? And maybe 20 MB eDRAM as framebuffer.

There's also alot of time until they have to finalize the product. If developers express dissatisfaction w/ the amount after E3, it would be an easy thing to fix.

Top Bottom