• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Mr_Brit

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:
They expect that they will be. I expect that they will be. You expect that they will be. That doesn't mean that they will be. If it were right now October, things would be a lot clearer.

Remember the fiasco with the Tegra 2? If memory serves, a bunch of companies expected it to be available a whole lot sooner than it was. Made some people unhappy.

Personally I expect that they'll try for 28nm, because they'll be able to get better clock speeds out of it, but they'll be able to be flexible enough to settle for 40nm or 32nm and have a slower system if the process isn't available on time.
If the system is coming out next year and they're showing games in progress at E3, shouldn't the minimum clock frequencies be locked in by now? I'm sure they could increase them depending on the manufacturing process but I can't see them decreasing them.

Darryl

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I cannot even have any fun with Brawl because I have no gamer friends :( So these games only make me feel very much alone

I've always been forced to play Brawl alone because most of my friends aren't gamers and it's not fair to ask them to play that with me. Mario Party is awesome, though. It's the only game that's so unfairly fair that even the best players can lose to someone who's never played it in their life. It's a great drinking game, too.

antonz

Mr_Brit said:
If the system is coming out next year and they're showing games in progress at E3, shouldn't the minimum clock frequencies be locked in by now? I'm sure they could increase them depending on the manufacturing process but I can't see them decreasing them.
Locked in doesnt really have to happen until just before production starts. Dev Kits almost always until closer to launch are under specced but similar to what is expected.

FOXCONN says October is when Wii 2 enters production. Nintendo does tend to be alot more willing to lock in though as mentioned the 3DS had a total redesign GPU wise towards the end of development of the system and even the ram ended up higher at the end of development

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
antonz said:
From what I have gathered Nintendo ended up using PICA simply due to the fact Nvidia could not deliver the performance promised. Nintendo went pretty far along in development using Nvidia then all of a sudden they were gone.

Im guessing Nvidia failed to live upto the performance at power level
That was the general consensus from the grapevine at the time. And that Tegra 'show' Jen-Hsun pulled at CES'10 was quite in line with those rumors.

herzogzwei1989 said:
On the process front, a roadmap has appeared:

AMD_Fusion_28nm_20nm_14nm_6.jpg

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-2q-20112c-20nm-in-2012-and-14nm-in-2014.aspx

28nm in Q2 2011. I don't see why Cafe's GPU couldn't be 28nm if things go well for AMD's manufacturing partners.

You need to read that chart again.

One of the leading 28nm products isn't even going into production until early 2012 (if that timetable stands, and with TSMC, that's a crapshoot) yet Nintendo are planning on launching this console right around then. That means producing silicon in 2011 and that means 28nm isn't on the table.

It'll be either 32nm or 40nm, Nintendo never have and never will risk their console business on a new process node.

For those that are really tech-savey, tell me something because I forget. The Xbox 360's Xenos GPU has 48 shader ALUs, right? And this number is not directly comparable to Radeon 4850/4870's 800 stream processors, as I understand.
So how many stream processors is Xenos equivalent to? Sorry if I worded that badly, but I'd really like to know.

disap.ed

brain_stew said:

One of the leading 28nm products isn't even going into production until early 2012 (if that timetable stands, and with TSMC, that's a crapshoot) yet Nintendo are planning on launching this console right around then. That means producing silicon in 2011 and that means 28nm isn't on the table.

It'll be either 32nm or 40nm, Nintendo never have and never will risk their console business on a new process node.

Mr_Brit said:
This roadmap just states when AMD plan to bring out an APU on a specific manufacturing process and not when that process will be ready. Wii 2 will almost definitely launch at 28nm.

As someone already mentioned the southern island GPUs will already see release in Q4/2011 and are built on 28nm (and most probably at a much higher transistor count), so I wouldn't write off 28nm for Cafe completely.

disap.ed said:
As someone already mentioned the southern island GPUs will already see release in Q4/2011 and are built on 28nm (and most probably at a much higher transistor count), so I wouldn't write off 28nm for Cafe completely.

Exactly!

antonz said:
Locked in doesnt really have to happen until just before production starts. Dev Kits almost always until closer to launch are under specced but similar to what is expected.

FOXCONN says October is when Wii 2 enters production. Nintendo does tend to be alot more willing to lock in though as mentioned the 3DS had a total redesign GPU wise towards the end of development of the system and even the ram ended up higher at the end of development
Is there any good information of when Nintendo informed 3rd parties of the GPU change? I think the leak of what GPU was being used happened between the first newspaper article stating that they were putting out a new system and E3 2010. How much headway did they have to give 3rd parties to have those demos adjusted for the new GPU at E3?

Also, a ram size change is relatively easy in comparison to other parts. Is the GPU in the 3DS working as memory controller for the system like Hollywood works in the Wii?

blu

herzogzwei1989 said:
For those that are really tech-savey, tell me something because I forget. The Xbox 360's Xenos GPU has 48 shader ALUs, right? And this number is not directly comparable to Radeon 4850/4870's 800 stream processors, as I understand.
So how many stream processors is Xenos equivalent to? Sorry if I worded that badly, but I'd really like to know.

Micerider

antonz said:
From what I have gathered Nintendo ended up using PICA simply due to the fact Nvidia could not deliver the performance promised. Nintendo went pretty far along in development using Nvidia then all of a sudden they were gone.

Im guessing Nvidia failed to live upto the performance at power level

Yeah, if I remember well, it's mainly due to the fact that the TEGRA chip was really unstable on the temperature dissipation side : afordable in a desktop machine, un-aceptable for a portable console where you're whole form/architecture would have to get a precise termal dissipation capacity.

Mr_Brit

Banned
brain_stew said:

Firstly that is GF and not TSMC.

Secondly, since when did APU's become leading products? They're about as low tech as you can get, leading products would be something like high end GPUs from AMD and nvidia.

That chart tells us nothing about the availability of 28nm and only when AMD plan to launch an APU using that manufacturing process.

antonz

Grampa Simpson said:
Is there any good information of when Nintendo informed 3rd parties of the GPU change? I think the leak of what GPU was being used happened between the first newspaper article stating that they were putting out a new system and E3 2010. How much headway did they have to give 3rd parties to have those demos adjusted for the new GPU at E3?

Also, a ram size change is relatively easy in comparison to other parts. Is the GPU in the 3DS working as memory controller for the system like Hollywood works in the Wii?

It wasn't public knowledge until after E3 2010 that PICA was being used. June 21st 2010 is when DMP announced PICA 200 was selected for use in the 3DS.

How soon 3rd parties knew is another story. All we really know is patents etc were found before then using Tegra in the 3DS. Some 3rd parties did seem to indicate some of the stuff they showed at E3 was relatively new as far as being put together for display which could mean the switch from Tegra could have been rather recent.

does anyone else miss the simple days of 8bit 16bit 32bit 64bit 128bit?

what are we heading on now? we lost all the hype for bits all the sudden marketing stopped using it :D

man those were simple days, I really wish it would have continued

I remember someone asking me once if the Xbox 360 was 360bits lol

Smiles and Cries said:

what are we heading on now? we lost all the hype for bits all the sudden marketing stopped using it :D

nanometer processes? I don't know. I do miss those days though. after the -bit Generations, I just refer to the generation number

E-phonk

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I thought that was called N64 for its 64-bit CPU?
It was 64bit. Although by the "bit" part of a CPU wasn't as important anymore as before. It was also nothing new, 64bit cpu's existed since the 70's & 80's, just not for the consumer market.

mt1200

I dont mind if the console is not as powerful as we expect it to be if the hardware if reliable enough and the developers focus on aestethics or art style.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
blu said:
I think their choice of PICA had much less to do with 'ease of development' than with the fact they needed to re-balance their power budget after the inclusion of the parallax-barrier display. Something had to give, and that something had to be the GPU. If their is something PICA200 shines above any other mobile GPU IP, that's power draw for the effects PICA provides. Actually, that was the single most important selling point DMP were attributing to their IP (IIRC, from reading some google-translated DMP materials).
But turning off the parallax barrier doesn't improve battery that much. Not comparable to the battery life improvements you get while playing plain DS games.

The 3D effect seem to be cutting graphics performance by half or even more... I don't believe they cut on graphics performance. According to Iwata Asks, they had locked the hardware until the late introduction of 3D, for which they had to "double the specs". Whatever that means, we know at least about the RAM.

Smiles and Cries said:

So much lies back then, N64 wasn't even true 64 bit.

I much preferred it over HD though, if cafe has HD in it's name I'm going to burn something down.

Lonely1 said:
double the specs. Whatever that means.
Igor-Stravinsky-002.jpg

This was probably before they decided on glassless.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lonely1 said:
But turning off the parallax barrier doesn't improve battery that much. Not comparable to the battery life improvements you get while playing plain DS games.

The 3D effect seem to be cutting graphics performance by half or even more... I don't believe they cut on graphics performance. According to Iwata Asks, they had locked the hardware until the late introduction of 3D, for which they had to "double the specs". Whatever that means, we know at least about the RAM.
The 3D screen is undoubtedly the biggest single power consumer in the 3DS, just because the battery life improvement is small when parralax is turned off doesn't mean that the 3D screen doesn't consume a lot of energy.

I'd say it's probably less than half as Nintendo optimised the machine for 3D and since all games are 3D, devs can also optimise the game for 3D.

Do we know when 3D was added to the 3DS? I can't imagine it was less than 2 years ago as it significantly changes the scope of their project. Making the machine 3D probably cost them more than half of their battery life and since they'd budgeted money and volume to the battery already it wasn't something they could easily increase.

Mr_Brit said:
The 3D screen is undoubtedly the biggest single power consumer in the 3DS, just because the battery life improvement is small when parralax is turned off doesn't mean that the 3D screen doesn't consume a lot of energy.

Uh... what? Then why would battery life be significantly better when playing DS software? Why would turning off 3D only increase battery life for 3DS software by 25%?

Stephen Colbert said:
But I have to say, the mockup controller they have a few seconds into the video looks perfect. I'm hoping the real thing ends up being very similar.

No, it really doesn't. It's two GCN controllers wide by two GCN controllers tall. It looks fine on paper until you realise the size of the thing compared to the 6" screen.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Uh... what? Then why would battery life be significantly better when playing DS software? Why would turning off 3D only increase battery life for 3DS software by 25%?
Note I said the biggest single consumer, I can't imagine any other component in the 3DS at max power draw getting near the 3D screen at max power draw.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:

I agree that the screens consumes more power than a regular LCD screen. But the battery life almost doubles while playing DS games, so the silicon consumption isn't trivial either.

Mr_Brit said:
I'd say it's probably less than half as Nintendo optimised the machine for 3D and since all games are 3D, devs can also optimise the game for 3D.
Games like SSFIV, L:potC and DoA3D get their framerates cut by half in 3D, and more in the case DoA3D. That's what I'm basing my statement on. In the future we could see better optimized games, but that's the state of the software right now. Maybe the inclusion of the slider tech prevent the use of the shortcuts common with other 3D tech?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lonely1 said:
I agree that the screens consumes more power than a regular LCD screen. But the battery life almost doubles while playing DS games, so the silicon consumption isn't trivial either.

Games like SSFIV, L:potC and DoA3D get their framerates cut by half in 3D, and more in the case DoA3D. That's what I'm basing my statement on. In the future we could see better optimized games, but that's the state of the software right now. Maybe the inclusion of the sliders prevent the use shortcuts common with other 3D tech?
Oh, I meant if the framerate were uncapped, e.g. if Game A runs at 66FPS uncapped in 2D it might run at 40FPS in 3D instead of 33FPS as expected due to the optimisation Nintendo and devs have done but as the game is locked to 60FPS in 2D and 30FPS in 3D, the difference won't matter anyway but it'd still be interesting to see what the increased load due to 3D is on 3DS compared to 360/PS3/PC.

beje

Banned
blu said:
That was the general consensus from the grapevine at the time. And that Tegra 'show' Jen-Hsun pulled at CES'10 was quite in line with those rumors.

It could also be the main reason why first-gen 3DS games fail in basic tech areas (slowdowns on RR3D, static backgrounds on SSFIV...) or are magically gone from launch window (as announced last E3) to somewhere late 2011. I guess most of them were pretty far in development when they had to switch from Tegra 2 to ARM + PICA200

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
Oh, I meant if the framerate were uncapped, e.g. if Game A runs at 66FPS uncapped in 2D it might run at 40FPS in 3D instead of 33FPS as expected due to the optimisation Nintendo and devs have done but as the game is locked to 60FPS in 2D and 30FPS in 3D, the difference won't matter anyway but it'd still be interesting to see what the increased load due to 3D is on 3DS compared to 360/PS3/PC.
Well, DoA3 seems to be locked at 60fps in 2D but untestable 30fps in 3D. But I could could be wrong here (have yet to see the game myself). Also, I would believe that developers would prioritize optimization of the game in 3D, it being the main feature of the system.

beje said:
It could also be the main reason why first-gen 3DS games fail in basic tech areas (slowdowns on RR3D, static backgrounds on SSFIV...) or are magically gone from launch window (as announced last E3) to somewhere late 2011. I guess most of them were pretty far in development when they had to switch from Tegra 2 to ARM + PICA200

There's nothing suggesting that. In fact, the first media we got of SSFIV3D showed full 2D backgrounds.

swerve

Shadowlink said:
Any Yoshi's Island rumors?
:(

Yoshi's Island is more likely for 3DS than Cafe, no?

there was a curious reel of more than a dozen old-school games, including Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Urban Champion, Kid Icarus, Yoshi's Island, Smash Ping Pong, Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., Tennis, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Mystery of Murasame Castle. The non-interactive reel running on the 3DS that showed these games in 3D demonstrated how Nintendo's next handheld system can give them a little more of a pop-up book feel.

http://kotaku.com/5566935/mega-man-2-yoshis-island-among-teased-3ds-sorta+remakes

swerve

Lonely1 said:
Well, DoA3 seems to be locked at 60fps in 2D but untestable 30fps in 3D. But I could could be wrong here (have yet to see the game myself). Also, I would believe that developers would prioritize optimization of the game in 3D, it being the main feature of the system.

Yeah, I suspect those of us who love 60fps will be disappointed by the majority of 3DS games in 3D. The surprising thing for me is that first party titles are also running at 30 in 3D. StarFox (which was 60 on the N64!) and Ocarina are both 30fps.

If racers and rail-shooters can't get to 60, there's not much hope for other (3D) genres. Mario Kart DS was 60... so hopefully they will try to make that happen on 3DS too, but I'm not hopeful. I guess the test case will be if NCL make an F-Zero game for 3DS. That is the game where they have always prioritised framerate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
swerve said:
Yeah, I suspect those of us who love 60fps will be disappointed by the majority of 3DS games in 3D. The surprising thing for me is that first party titles are also running at 30 in 3D. StarFox (which was 60 on the N64!) and Ocarina are both 30fps.

If racers and rail-shooters can't get to 60, there's not much hope for other (3D) genres. Mario Kart DS was 60... so hopefully they will try to make that happen on 3DS too, but I'm not hopeful. I guess the test case will be if NCL make an F-Zero game for 3DS. That is the game where they have always prioritised framerate.
Well, Nintendo would be the last on downplaying their main feature by offering significantly better performance without it :( . And Starfox 64 was really 60fps?

blu

beje said:
Aside from the fact launch games tend to have more technical issues than later titles, I don't believe scrapping a game because a GPU changed from having pixel-shaders to exposing a fixed set of common PS effects, is the normal practice, unless such a game was built on top of some middleware that had rigid GPU requirements (e.g. UE3). CPU-wise, if we are to believe some of the older rumors, the early CTR devkits were Tegra1-based (ARM11MP), which means their CPU characteristics would not have differed much from the (again, rumored) ARM11MP that found its way in the final product.

swerve

Lonely1 said:
Well, Nintendo would be the last on downplaying their main feature by offering significantly better performance without it :( . And Starfox 64 was really 60fps?

Actually maybe not. I just remember it looking pretty silky smooth back in the day. *runs to check*

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Starfox 64 was NOT 60 fps.

Maybe he's confusing it with Starfox Adventures and/or Assault?

blu

Lonely1 said:
I don't see anything surprising in that. DS games benefit from the cumulative effect of no parallax barrier plus the sparing GPU load (which, for all we know, could be delegated to a dedicated BC silicon). If the reported 25% increase in battery life when parallax is off is true (I'm yet to get my 3DS) then the parallax power draw is far from trivial.

Top Bottom