• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Reviews Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

9.6 :D

Closing Comments
Of course the most common debate among PlayStation 2 gamers these days is "Which is better, Ratchet 3 or Jak 3?" And while I'll leave that debate up to each individual player once both games have been released, I can safely say that Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal is easily the single best effort in that entire series of titles so far. Granted, it would have been a close race if not for the inclusion of Ratchet's online mode, but once that feature has been considered it's all over -- the sheer amount of fun you'll have when playing against seven other people in the six different maps and various gameplay modes here is almost immeasurable -- it's that damn good.

But what impresses me most about Up Your Arsenal is the fact that the single-player adventure didn't suffer in the least. It's just as entertaining, interesting, and fun as the online segment. What's more, is that Ratchet 3 can be picked up and played by just about anyone and be enjoyed equally; offering a viable Christmas alternative for people that are apprehensive about the curse-ridden violent opus that is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It's only real detriment is the fact that it's a bit on the easy side (easier than Going Commando), but that's really about it. The rest is all gravy, and an unabashed must-own for every PS2 gamer with a pulse. Enjoy!

BTW, Killzone review tomorrow :D

explodet said:
This didn't get a 10???
The streak is broken! Damn you IGN!!!!

:D

Actually, crapbag Gamepro gave it a 4.5 on their 5.0 score, which is a 90%. :|

It was at 98%, now with the 9.6, it'll be at 97% or so :(

But, hot damn.

explodet

sonycowboy said:
Actually, crapbag Gamepro gave it a 4.5 on their 5.0 score, which is a 90%. :|

It was at 98%, now with the 9.6, it'll be at 97% or so :(

But, hot damn.
C-
Now we gotta wait for Gamespot.

Only 97% :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
But guys it's a rehash. We don't complain about it because it's a Sony game, but if it were a Nintendo game we'd be up Insomniac's arse. How can we fall for such shit year after year.

Easily going to be GOTY guys. The review scores are showing it.

Move over GTA:SA :D

I love 2004. In the eleven months that have passed so far, the list of impressive "A-Level" games for the PlayStation 2 have been nothing short of staggering. And with titles like Burnout 3, Sly 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Katamari Damacy, and the unbelievable Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, it's no wonder that it's the single best year for gaming since Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry and Gran Turismo 3 first invaded our systems back in 2001. That stream of high-quality titles show no sign of letting up either, as the first week of November alone brings us even more kickass gaming goodness in the form of Sony's second party IPs that include Killzone, ATV Offroad Fury 3, and Insomniac's intergalactic sequel, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. But while opinions may vary on how marvelous ATV and Killzone have turned out to be, I can't help but realize that if there's a single game out there that can give Rockstar's gritty Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas a run for its award-winning money, it's Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal; a game that's nothing short of awesome.

What makes the multiplayer mode so fun, though, is the fact that it's so incredibly responsive. Taking a cue from first-person shooters and similar games in the genre, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal provides players with three distinct methods of control -- the original third-person platforming style used in earlier games, a first-person schematic that feels just like Unreal Tournament, and my personal favorite, a fascinating FP/TP hybrid that brings first-person controls to a third-person perspective. This new amalgam of control styles (known as the Lock-Strafe Mode) adds a terrific degree of accuracy to the firing of your weapons and feels a lot more natural than your typical action/adventure. Best of all, players can use this scheme in the single-player adventure as well, and hopefully future developers will start adopting this method (weapon firing on R1, Jumping on L1) for 2005 title

There is not enough time in the world for all the great games coming out lately... I can't take it anymore!

*jumps off the balcony*

"Of course it needs to be understood that on the whole, Ratchet and Clank has almost completely moved away from its status as a platformer. Now it's almost entirely an action/adventure with a few platforming elements and a heavier emphasis on shooting."

Bleh. Well, I liked Going Commando a lot more than the first one, so I'll still give this a look.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well R&C2 became Greatest Hits in September 2004, so $20 by next August is possible

But then again, R&C2 was probably forced to GH status to make way for R&C3

bridegur

I don't like that they've taken out most of the platforming, it was the reason I enjoyed the first game so much. I've lost interest in both this and the Jak series. At least there's still Sly 2, which is absolutely fantastic.

bridegur said:
I don't like that they've taken out most of the platforming, it was the reason I enjoyed the first game so much. I've lost interest in both this and the Jak series. At least there's still Sly 2, which is absolutely fantastic.

I find your post completely disingenuous. This game has NEVER been about the platforming. It's about blowing **** up. It may not have the same scope and depth of GTA, but I'll be damned if there's a more fun game to come out this year [/my expectations]

omg sonycowboy and I agree!

I was wondering "do I really want a third so soon?" after enjoying the second so recently - but with these reviews the answer is "yes, you nimrod, of course!"

Drakken

Very nice. It looks like I'll be adding another game to my list of holiday titles to get.......Jak 3 still comes before this, though.

bridegur

This game has NEVER been about the platforming.

Actually, there was a lot of really good platforming in the original. It had an excellent mix of shooting and platforming (which kept both from getting boring).

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Drakken said:
Very nice. It looks like I'll be adding another game to my list of holiday titles to get.......Jak 3 still comes before this, though.
Shhhh.... You will make Anihawk cry.

TheGreenGiant said:
excellent. I can't for the score to ass-rape JAK III (die franchise die!)tm

Jak 3 will score over 9.0 as well most likely. And if the past is any indication, Jak 3 will outsell R&C as well. The two go together like peas and carrots.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
OMFG! This game is getting insane scores shame it’s not getting much publicity with the GTA:SA and Halo 2 hype machines working over time!

Rorschach

Wellington said:
But guys it's a rehash. We don't complain about it because it's a Sony game, but if it were a Nintendo game we'd be up Insomniac's arse. How can we fall for such shit year after year.

Easily going to be GOTY guys. The review scores are showing it.
I have no idea what this post is trying to say. Where does the sarcasm end? Where does it begin!?

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
I haven't played Going Commando, and it's been years since I played the original, but Up Your Arsenal is about as much platformer as the first (from what I remember). The added FPS controls make the shooting stand out a lot more, though.

And yeah, it's really good. I dunno about 9.6 good, but it's fun as hell.

gmoran

Just the thought of playing in a Ratchet and Clank universe, with these insane weapons, in multiplayer: I really can't wait.

Too many on-line games are po faced FPS's, this will should a great change in style and tempo.

Teddman

Anyone chance of getting some forum online wars going on with this game, even though Halo 2 is right around the corner and GTA is dominating most PS2-only gamers? I didn't go through the trouble of getting my PS2 online for nothing--this sounds like the best online frag-fest the console has!

AniHawk

Defensor said:
Shhhh.... You will make Anihawk kill again.

Fixed.

Oh, I'm going online with this game (first one since PSO v1 for DC!). So hopefully I'll meet up with you guys. :)

I had no fucking clue this was out next week. Time to put the PSTwo to good use. :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MarkRyan said:
I haven't played Going Commando, and it's been years since I played the original, but Up Your Arsenal is about as much platformer as the first (from what I remember). The added FPS controls make the shooting stand out a lot more, though.

And yeah, it's really good. I dunno about 9.6 good, but it's fun as hell.

yeah, I was about to say that in reference to comparing the first to the second. I didn't see a shift in focus there, nor do I think what I played of the demo of part 3 shows any lack of platforming.

swoon

sonycowboy said:
I find your post completely disingenuous. This game has NEVER been about the platforming. It's about blowing **** up. It may not have the same scope and depth of GTA, but I'll be damned if there's a more fun game to come out this year [/my expectations]

and also that there isn't any platforming in sly 2.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Teddman said:
Anyone chance of getting some forum online wars going on with this game, even though Halo 2 is right around the corner and GTA is dominating most PS2-only gamers? I didn't go through the trouble of getting my PS2 online for nothing--this sounds like the best online frag-fest the console has!
Absolutely - I'm there as soon as it ships to my area.

FnordChan

SantaCruZer said:
player1 gave it 7/10 :p but it's a euro mag so it wont count in gamerankings.

I don't have anything to say about Ratchet and Clank 3, I just wanted to say that your avatar kicks ass.

"Dear Insomniac. Please license Wonder Boy. Thanks, love, GAF."

FnordChan

WarPig

JackFrost2012 said:
I was wondering "do I really want a third so soon?" after enjoying the second so recently - but with these reviews the answer is "yes, you nimrod, of course!"

The single-player mode is hilarious and the online mode may be the best online game on PS2. I think it smokes the unholy fuck out of SOCOM, anyway -- Tribes/Battlefield level layouts with R&C weapons and vehicles.

YOU WILL ALL BOW BEFORE LAWRENCE. LAWRENCE IS LORD.

DFS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think it smokes the unholy fuck out of SOCOM, anyway
Fck yeah. I never understood what people see in that Socom anyways... R&C smokes it not only in the sheer fun factor, but also stomps all over it when it comes to technical implementation of *everything* - controls, framerate, you name it...

Marconelly said:
Fck yeah. I never understood what people see in that Socom anyways... R&C smokes it not only in the sheer fun factor, but also stomps all over it when it comes to technical implementation of *everything* - controls, framerate, you name it...

SOCOM will easily maintain it's title as the King of PS2 online. And it's extremely well deserved. I know cheaters have really f'ed it up, but it's pure digital crack and for my money the best online game period. Halo 2 will probably blow that all to hell, though.

Even though you may not like it, over 2 million gamers are pretty happy with it.

SantaC

FnordChan said:
I don't have anything to say about Ratchet and Clank 3, I just wanted to say that your avatar kicks ass.

"Dear Insomniac. Please license Wonder Boy. Thanks, love, GAF."

FnordChan

Thanks. Gotta love Wonderboy :)

and the old SEGA.

Top Bottom