• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's KOTOR II early impressions

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:
Didn't Hilary masturbate over Blinx?

He admitted to overrating Blinx, yes.

But he was absolutely right when he sang his approval for KOTOR, and I hope that his early opinion of the sequel holds up.

firex

I just hope KOTOR 2 has better combat than the original. That was the only real low point of the game... battles were better than the generic DQ/FF style battles (well, ATB for FF), and most infinity engine combat, but it just felt like they weren't as good as in a lot of other RPGs.

Redbeard

Banned
Better combat? It was fantastic. They aren't changing it anyway.

The combat system is relatively unchanged,

The biggest change, the reason I didn't miss the 'saber or feel the game was dragging, is the quest layout. In the original KOTOR the levels often felt like a "go here and do this, then go here and do that" affair, but the early goings of KOTOR II have a much more organic feeling.

Excellent!

Deku Tree

That the combat is unchanged bothers me. The combat was cool for the first 10 hours of the game, but after that it got kinda stale and booring. It was my least favorite part of the game.

The story, exploring the environments, the puzzles and the conversation trees were what made KotOR a great game in my eyes.

lordmrw

Sucks that I have to wait until February for the PC version. But then again, unfortunately, this isn't that high on my priority list. I'll be looking forward to Star Fox Assault and Wild Arms Alter Code F more.

Caddle

Some say the battle systems is boring, yet they play all these Final Fantasy games and the combat never gets boring. Stop the hate, kotor was a great game Hk-47 rules.

Soul4ger

Even better than KOTOR? Does this mean, it's faster acting? It'll put me to sleep in 30 minutes instead of an hour?!

Ironclad

It seems that Obsidian has been able to make the game better without destroying any of the things that made the original great. Obsidian may be an untested company, but it only takes one GOTY to really buy some respect. This is my most anticipated game of the year, and the IGN preview only increases that.

Mrbob

Deku Tree said:
What about Fable?

No.

It seems that Obsidian has been able to make the game better without destroying any of the things that made the original great. Obsidian may be an untested company, but it only takes one GOTY to really buy some respect.[ This is my most anticipated game of the year, and the IGN preview only increases that.

They really aren't:

http://www.cpwire.com/archive/2004/8/4/1591.asp

Neverwinter Nights 2 will be developed by Obsidian Entertainment, founded by Feargus Urquhart who, as the President of Black Isle Studios, was responsible for the publishing of the Baldur`s Gate and Baldur`s Gate: Dark Alliance series and the development of the Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment franchises, both powered by BioWare Engine Technology, as well as overseeing the creation and development of the Fallout series. BioWare will provide tools, technology, and game assets from the original Neverwinter Nights as well as lend creative input and oversight to the development process.

''From our development of Baldur`s Gate(TM) and Neverwinter Nights to our engine licensure on Star Wars(R): Knights of the Old Republic(R) 2, we`ve been working collaboratively with Feargus and other members of the Obsidian Entertainment team for years,'' said Dr. Greg Zeschuk, BioWare Corp.`s Joint CEO. ''Neverwinter Nights remains one of the most important titles BioWare has ever created. We certainly plan to remain involved in the production and development of Neverwinter Nights 2 and we`re delighted to initiate another partnership with Obsidian Entertainment and Atari,'' added Dr. Ray Muzyka, BioWare Corp.`s Joint CEO.

BTW some potential must be found here if they are going to hand them the Neverwinter Nights license as well. :p

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
well i am officially excited for this game now

There's one conversation with a new HK protocol droid that probably lasts 20 minutes. More importantly, the entire time we're talking -- going through the normal motions of selecting from a list of responses (usually at least two positive and two negative) and listening to the HK respond in his cynical way -- the droid's true motives become clear. As we talk, my job becomes finding the right responses to illicit new information, to get past HK's double-talk and essentially trick him into telling the truth. It's a fascinating bit of gameplay.

In the original KOTOR, sometimes a bonus dialogue response would appear for having the persuasion skill or some other comparable attribute. This is much more prominent in KOTOR II and now applies for just about any interface. Skill levels may open new options when computer hacking and a high intelligence can provide deductive reasoning, and help you piece together information. This creates even more options that can lead to a better solution to a problem.

Top Bottom