• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm gonna say it... Elden Ring has a lot of flaws, and is kinda overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phant0m

I personally have no such cycle. I either like the game or I don’t. Even after two years I still consider Elden Ring magical experience. Playing the DLC made me feel that even more.
I didn't mean each person goes through this cycle but rather the board itself. Generally people that loved something on launch remain that way provided the dev doesn't fuck it up.

Usually the OT is filled with heavy praise, a few months/year later we get a thread like this one, and then beyond that we get the other threads.

LakeOf9

Seems like a skill issue
Come on man, read the OP. You're better than this

I feel like what you want, is overrated. Every game has its flaws. The people who enjoy it the most are willing to look past these things. Halo must be the worst game ever. They reuse the Elites and grunts over and over again.

Let’s all go back to the hand holding, yellow marker on the map, with heavily scripted dialogue everyone. 🙄
If only that was what I had said, this would have been an amazing takedown

Just because that’s how something was done in the past, doesn’t mean it was good then either. It’s stupid for no real reason, which makes it even worse, imo.
I've always like it and never found the concept complicated to warrant hating on it. At this point its tradition and it's what gives these games their identity. It would feel weird without it.

Well, it’s fine you don’t like it. Or did enjoy it. But calling it overrated? You crazy. Maybe souls type of games not your thing. But this soul game was so good, that it made you play it and enjoy it.

LakeOf9

I've always like it and never found the concept complicated to warrant hating on it. At this point its tradition and it's what gives these games their identity. It would feel weird without it.
People said the same thing about corpse runs right until the moment Elden Ring got rid of them

I personally have no such cycle. I either like the game or I don’t. Even after two years I still consider Elden Ring magical experience. Playing the DLC made me feel that even more.
You must have been fortunate enough not to ever experience certain video games with extremely strong starts but weak finishes, like Final Fantasy 16.

SJRB

Gold Member
z8dkd56pr1x81.jpg

If I wanted rage clicks I wouldn't have written a whole OP properly explaining my opinion

So just because I am a veteran I can't ask for mechanics and systems to catch up with the rest of the industry?
The rest of the industry? When has these Souls games ever been on par mechanically and system wise like the rest of the industry? They have always done it their way, and this is why these games are so beloved. If anything the industry should try to catch up with them.

LakeOf9

The rest of the industry? When has these Souls games ever been on par mechanically and system wise like the rest of the industry? They have always done it their way, and this is why these games are so beloved. If anything the industry should try to catch up with them.
The rest of the industry should copy FromSoft's way of co-op? Are you serious?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The platforming also is pretty bad. I feel like homeboys at From want their games to be more than they are.

The overall product of Elden Ring is still better than everything else that’s released this generation, but it definitely has its bad spots.

elden ring got size and scale at the cost of refinement and detail.

quantity (size) is a quality all its own.. but a lot of other stuff got watered down too.

not my favorite souls game, but still great.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
OP is right

Dragon's Dogma 2 is the superior game
No dungeons tho. That took a lot of the adventuring awe, at least for me.

It has way better combat than ER, and I prefer it's more grounded enemy and armor designs. Better camera too but considering it's competing against ER's that might not be saying much.

But aside from that... I'd say ER is better man.

poodaddy

Dark Souls 3 still looks great. Remaster it for what?
I'm particularly impressed with how it runs and looks on Steam Deck. Incredible way to play the game.... though I will admit it's kicking my ass lol.

On topic: I kind of agree with you OP. I think the game seems great, but the fact that it's the only Souls game I dropped relatively quickly seems like an indictment in and of itself. Just didn't grab me, despite it seeming very high quality, don't really know why.

I think the game is great but I do find it kind of unbelievable that no one seems to criticise it especially after RDR II and BotW/TotK got dragged for having “empty Worlds with repetitive content” which ER definitely suffers from on top of the issues you’ve already listed.

I think the biggest issue is definitely the boss design. I don’t know where FROM go from here in terms of boss mechanics. It honestly feels like they need to at least take a break from the Souls formula and make something completely different (yes I know they made Armoured Core) but it was essentially the same gameplay loop.

Maybe he makes the JRPG he wants to next or another VR game for a break.

cireza

So basically the game is an open-world with all the problems that come with how these games are made nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom