• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of Blizzard's cancelled survival game 'Odyssey' have leaked

near

Gold Member
Possible screenshots of Blizzard's cancelled survival game 'Odyssey' have leaked online via a Russian social media site.

yLbxHMU.png

hVgJ69O.png

YT22LXY.png

gyRQydJ.png

rf8VIfL.png

b9sFzQp.png

IEl2cnE.png

A few more images are linked in the article I found them in.

Cancel me if this is old news.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Looks completely unremarkable, which is not what I'd expect from the varied WoW biomes. Looks less interesting that Elwynn forest did 20 years ago

Sentenza

Aaanyway, for all the past talks about how the game "was shaping up to be something phenomenal and the entire studio was incredibly proud of it" I can't honestly say I'm impressed with what I'm seeing in these images.

Yeah, sure, incomplete prototype and so on... But still, there's nothing here catching my attention and making me say "You can immediately tell that with Blizzard's money and expertise this will run circles around any other survival on Steam".

Drake

You know, a lot of these newer games have this certain aesthetic to it. I have a hard time articulating exactly what it is. The overall feel of the art style is too clean and bland, at least to me. Dune Spice Wars (while I do enjoy that game) basically has the exact same aesthetic as the Blizzard game posted in the OP.

You know, a lot of these newer games have this certain aesthetic to it. I have a hard time articulating exactly what it is. The overall feel of the art style is too clean and bland, at least to me. Dune Spice Wars (while I do enjoy that game) basically has the exact same aesthetic as the Blizzard game posted in the OP.

It's pretty much the DOTA 2 aesthetic. Low contrast, low saturation color scheme, with a stylized, "era-appropriate" font over it. All about readability.

Goalus

You mean the "mobile game aesthetic"?
For some reason these screens don't exude it that much imho.

nkarafo

You know, a lot of these newer games have this certain aesthetic to it. I have a hard time articulating exactly what it is. The overall feel of the art style is too clean and bland, at least to me.
It's pretty much the DOTA 2 aesthetic. Low contrast, low saturation color scheme, with a stylized, "era-appropriate" font over it. All about readability.
That generic GAAS/kiddy artstyle strikes again
You mean the "mobile game aesthetic"?
The art style looks like that because everything is made from the same material. That's why it always looks so generic and boring.

They use it so often in mobile games because it's easier to make, cheaper and less demanding for the hardware. But using it on consoles/PC is just lazy.

Last edited:

sainraja

Looks pretty interesting based on the screenshots... but I probably would have skipped given the genre (survival/crafting games seem to require too much commitment). Blizzard just needs to work on the next WarCraft. We want WarCraft 4!

Last edited:

Mr1999

Damn, that looked pretty interesting. Well besides the clipping.

Yes, it did look very interesting, but that’s probably why it will never see the light of day. Blizzard has a history of doing this with many of their projects, they often strip them down for assets and then dilute them into games as they did with Overwatch. I initially enjoyed Overwatch, but found it lacked depth and lost interest over time. Still, I believe Blizzard has the potential to create great games, I'm enjoying The War Within so far. However, I don't think Blizzard wants to introduce a game that requires players to invest time to learn. They seem to prefer quick, straightforward gameplay, much like how they developed the Overwatch story, which I found rather cringe worthy.

Top Bottom