• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressions of Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door (Or: the official thread)

Speevy

Banned
MyPicture021.jpg
[/img]

I think this is the first time I've ever gotten some impressions up on Gaming-Age before 100 people had played and beaten the game already.

I just got back from picking this game up, so I'll give some very brief thoughts on it. In the case of an RPG, it's impossible to encapsulate the gameplay after mere minutes, but I'll give you an idea of what it's like at the beginning.

Presentation

Absolutely fantastic. Each level and battle unfolds as some variation on the paper theme, and of course the art is superb. Menus are easy to navigate, tutorials are well done, and the world itself is very well realized. IGN said it was perfect except for the lack of voice acting. Your opinion on that will determine whether you give it my score, or deduct some points. Frankly, the world has a great deal of life and humor to it without recorded voices, but it's ultimately your call.

Score 10.0

Graphics Easily the best art direction Nintendo has managed since Wind Waker. (and so far it's more cohesive) You really get to see the difference between Intelligent Systems and EAD. I'm not going to have you groaning with another 10, don't worry. Over the course of this generation, I have come to appreciate what makes a great looking game. This is one such game, but despite all the presentation quirks, it's very simple in technical ambition. It is a pseudo-3D 2D game afterall, and while it outclasses Viewtiful Joe handily, I have to be fair to developers that work with a system's hardware. But make no mistake about it. Paper Mario looks awesome. Animations are also top notch for a game of its type.

Score 8.5

Gameplay Nintendo has been working with this Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi formula for several years now, and the results are outstanding. On the surface, Paper Mario offers a standard turn-based role playing experience with great Mario-based fanfare thrown in. But the game is also many-layered, with no battle being exactly like the last. It also avoids completely the things that make turn-based RPG's boring, like random battles and "Attack, Attack, Attack" tedium. I can't think of anything to fault here, to be honest.

Score 10.0

Sound When I reviewed Pikmin 2, I said the game featured some VERY subtle music that fit the game well, but it won't win any awards for best soundtrack. Paper Mario 2 on the other hand has a completely original soundtrack with great Nintendo music and an abundance of Nintendo-esque sound effects and little voice samples. I've played for about 30 minutes, and I'm already humming a few tunes.

Score 9.0

I'm cutting the "Control" section out of future Nintendo reviews because they never mess this aspect up, and if there's a control problem, I'll deduct it from the gameplay section.

Brief Impressions Score 9.4

Reviewer's Score 9.6

So far, it's a blast. Nintendo's quirky brand of humor is already evident, and the gameplay itself seems very balanced as well. If you're a Gamecube owner, there's really no reason why you shouldn't pick this up. All I can say is to make haste in doing so, or else you'll miss one of the coolest games this Fall.

crap I didnt even know it was out yet...

bah I already bought my 4 games for fall (gta sa, mk dec, hl2, and sd v raw)

Ill get it in jan with my gift cards

Speevy

Banned
signet said:
bah a 9.4 or 9.6?!?!?!

Anything less than 10/10 is an insult to Mario, Nintendo and my mother.

I've only given out one "10" this generation, and I reserve such judgements until I've finished the game, anyway.

I was going to trade in some games for this, but since game shops give next to nothing for even my newest games, I'm just tossing shit on eBay in hopes of acquiring some decent cash.

Ristamar

OMG NO VIOCE ACTING = SHITTEY PRESENTAYTION
THIS GAME IS TEH SUCK ITS MADE FOR KIDDIES
YUO ARE TEH BIAS

*cough*

Sorry..... Thanks for the impressions.

Combine

Banned
Maybe its a new marketing ploy?

"Hey, if we put a 'best seller' title on the front, it'll attract more attention!"

.........maybe?

Speevy

Banned
Combine said:
Maybe its a new marketing ploy?

"Hey, if we put a 'best seller' title on the front, it'll attract more attention!"

.........maybe?

I would imagine that such a technique would work in the opposite way, prompting gamers to figure "Everyone has already played that game. I want a new one."

Deku Tree

shoplifter said:
pmbs.jpg

Picked it up at EB, and ALL copies had it. It's no sticker, its actually printed on the cover.

I'm glad I didn't get one of those... I got it from the IGN gamestore and my cover looks like this:

242782.jpg

Does anyone know if you can quit to the main menu from screens in game (like in Wind Waker) instead of getting up and pressing the restart button?

shoplifter

I shot off an email to Nintendo customer service requesting a non-"Best Seller" insert. Hopefully I'll get a good response.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, what the fuck is this best seller shit? Just got it from Toys R Us. What in the hell? I don't know if I want to keep this anymore. Stupid subtitle, stupid box art, and now a stupid tag on the cover. What the hell?

Rhage

Haha, Best Seller on the box on release day? That's the lamest thing I've seen in a while.

I'm sure they qualify that by saying, "It was a best seller...in Japan." But still.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The only thing I can think of is that the Best Seller thing is an homage to books. I really don't think Nintendo is using it to hype sales, but that's just MHO.

Glad I got it from GStop though.. no best seller for me. :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
has anyone else noticed how the best seller tag makes it look like mario is sitting down and reading but the non-bestseller cover he is obviously walking.. weird.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
How long is this game supposed to be anyways? Is it a short RPG Jaunt or does it hover around the 50 hour mark for the average gamer?

Superbone

Wario64 said:
Yeah, what the fuck is this best seller shit? Just got it from Toys R Us. What in the hell? I don't know if I want to keep this anymore. Stupid subtitle, stupid box art, and now a stupid tag on the cover. What the hell?

What happened, Wario? You couldn't hold out for the Fry's deal?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Do The Mario said:
Hows the multiplayer?

When is it coming out in Australia anyone know?

November 12th - Paper Mario
November 5th - Pikmin 2

Why does nintendo do this to themselves? with the Market penetration (or lack of) Nintendo has down under, why release these 2 games so close to Halo 2?

I'll tell you why, nintendo of Australia sucks.

I'm torrenting Fable-related objects right now just so I can go trade in my retail copy towards Paper Mario. I'm that much of an asshole.

Belfast

DarkGiygas said:
I'm torrenting Fable right now just so I can go trade in my retail copy towards Paper Mario. I'm that much of an asshole.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment of trading in Fable for Paper Mario, you best hope you don't get yourself in trouble with that statement. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Superbone said:
What happened, Wario? You couldn't hold out for the Fry's deal?

I did get the Fry's deal

DarkGiygas said:
I'm torrenting Fable-related objects right now just so I can go trade in my retail copy towards Paper Mario. I'm that much of an asshole.

Banded

Pff, I was just going by the rules:

-------------------------------
E. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

-------------------------------

Links? Nope. Reviews? Nope. I didn't just go "Hey guys, just posting to let you know where you can download Fable! Later."

Spike

It's hitting in Canada tomorrow.

I think I'm gonna hold off until Friday because I have a gut feeling that Best Buy will have the 3-Day $49.99 price on this one.

Top Bottom