• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

Didn't blow me away like Prometheus, but it's so great to see Middle-Earth again.

In a way it looked a little too familiar though, like Fellowship except with Bilbo and Dwarves. They definitely wanted to play the nostalgia and fan service card with this trailer. And it worked, I felt all warm inside from the first second to the last.

LM4sure

Banned
Any epic lotr battles gonna be in this? The scale of lotr was one of its biggest draws for me. Doesn't look like it'll be in The Hobbit

i think there is a big spider...or was that the one of the lotr movies? i really can't remember what this damn book is about.

bilbo has to go slay some large monster, maybe a spider. that's gotta be close.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Tron 2.0

Meh, looks a little too silly for me. My hype for this movie just took a nose dive.
That's interesting, because my concern is that it's going to be way too serious. The book is much more lighthearted than the LotR trilogy.

i think there is a big spider...or was that the one of the lotr movies? i really can't remember what this damn book is about.

bilbo has to go slay some large monster, maybe a spider. that's gotta be close.
Lots of spiders.

apana

What are the policies for spoilers in these types of threads? I can only remember half the plot, I think I played the king dwarf in my middle school play.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Didn't blow me away like Prometheus, but it's so great to see Middle-Earth again.

In a way it looked a little too familiar though, like Fellowship except with Bilbo and Dwarves. They definitely wanted to play the nostalgia and fan service card with this trailer. And it worked, I felt all warm inside from the first second to the last.

Same opinion as this guy

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I had forgotten they split this into two films. The trek through Eriador doesn't excite me that much since we saw pretty much every location in LotR. I'm much more excited about the second film, which is where we'll get to see all the cool, exciting shit.

Replicant

looks boring though. what's this movie about? are they trying to destroy the ring again? i've already seen three movies about that.

Yeah, same here. This trailer confirms my suspicion that I'm not into this kind of medieval/shire stuff. It just looks boring to me.

Now I wonder if I have the same feelings with most historical past influenced storyline. Hmm....I guess I don't like Arthurian stuff either.

duckroll

I had forgotten they split this into two films. The trek through Eriador doesn't excite me that much since we saw pretty much every location in LotR. I'm much more excited about the second film, which is where we'll get to see all the cool, exciting shit.

This is Deathly Hallows all over again lol.

apana

Why would anyone want less Hobbit and not more? If there is material to cover in the books then minutes should be dedicated toward reproducing it in film, that is all.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I liked the book and this didn't have me crazy over it. Looks pretty much what you expect - the morning portion of your all day Lord of the Rings marathon.

At least we can all agree this is better than The Dark Knight Rises teaser, that was garbage (the one with Gordon on the hospital bed).

This played the fan service better.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Dol Guldur has never been seen on screen, neither has Mirkwood, or Thranduil's castle or Beorn's abode, or Rhosgobel. All of these locations will feature in the first film.

duckroll

At least we can all agree this is better than The Dark Knight Rises teaser, that was garbage (the one with Gordon on the hospital bed).

This played the fan service better.

Hahaha. Yeah, I agree. This looks as expected, and is really well shot with lots of footage to tease. Ultimately those who aren't interested in the film, like me, aren't interested because of the source material.

TDKR though? I'm actually a bit worried about how it'll turn out.

Why would anyone want less Hobbit and not more? If there is material to cover in the books then minutes should be dedicated toward reproducing it in film, that is all.

Well there's going to be a good deal that is pulled from other Tolkien sources, along with stuff that Jackson and co. completely made up themselves. The Hobbit itself, taken on its own merits, is only a film's worth of narrative.

This is Deathly Hallows all over again lol.

*shrug* that'd be a good thing.

I mean, Fellowship was the most "boring" one but it was my favorite because of the "adventuring" aspects specifically. Big battles are nice too, but FOTR is my favorite of the three because of the adventure, the locations, stuff like that.

I'd say bigger. Depends on how they do it.

It's called the Battle of Five Armies, so it's pretty fucking huge.

there's a huge one.

Bigger than Helm's Deep.

It will definitely be bigger than Helm's Deep. PJ isn't going to go out without a huge bang.

Shit is going to be a fucking royale rumble.

2dciavq2tpayw.jpg

*boards hype train*

Have to agree. To me it probably is because Ridley is making a comeback to the Alien universe after 32 years while it has been only 8 years since Return of the King

Edmond Dantès;33634511 said:
Dol Guldur has never been seen on screen, neither has Mirkwood, or Thranduil's castle or Beorn's abode, or Rhosgobel. All of these locations will feature in the first film.

Do we have any confirmation on where the first will end? I always thought it would end
somewhere in the Misty Mountains (IE: When Bilbo runs off with the ring).

Monocle

Yeah, I don't know, it just looks like more LOTR to me.

I would have liked a different director/team to tackle this to give it a "fresh" look.

Also, it should be a single film.
I don't think I'll ever understand how people can fail to be moved by the LOTR films' superb rendering of Middle Earth. Reading comments like yours feels like watching someone fling a double handful of glittering rubies into the upper limbs of tree to knock down some pinecones.

apana

Well there's going to be a good deal that is pulled from other Tolkien sources, along with stuff that Jackson and co. completely made up themselves. The Hobbit itself, taken on its own merits, is only a film's worth of narrative.

Well I don't have too much of a problem with that as long as it's material that supplements and reinforces the themes of the main story and doesn't change it into something different. Honestly though I am approaching this from the nerd perspective. I'd watch a trilogy of them just giving a tour through middle earth and telling us about all the artifacts and history.

It will definitely be bigger than Helm's Deep. PJ isn't going to go out without a huge bang.

Shit is going to be a fucking royale rumble.

By the way, as near and dear as the Rankin/Bass cartoon is to my heart, it doesn't quuuuiiite do justice to that battle, hahaha. If I remember correctly it was mostly shown as little scribbles on a map.

WillyFive

King Kong was fine compared to The Lovely Bones.

King King was a fantastic experience from beginning to end, but The Lovely Bones simply dragged and dragged and dragged....

.....he really needs to work on his pacing.

I don't think I'll ever understand how people can fail to be moved by the LOTR films' superb rendering of Middle Earth. Reading comments like yours feels like watching someone fling a double handful of glittering rubies into the upper limbs of tree to knock down some pinecones.

How pretty something is means nothing if the movie is a bore.

Believe it or not, not everyone was entertained by seeing people walk across valleys and mountains for what felt like hours before something new in the plot happened.

I find it so silly that people are going "Oh, another LOTR movie"..

I mean its the same author, and the book is about a young Hobbit going on a journey.

I would be more worried if it wasn't like LOTR...

Maybe I'm missing something...

Some people were hoping for something a little more visually unique from the LOTR films. A different take on the source material. This is, after all, only one teams "vision" of Middle Earth.

Does that clear things up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom