• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Also, sorry for starting the nitpick party but Cate Blanchett looks XMEN3'd. I'm really hoping that's just the YouTube compression.

Tobor

Here's the problem with merging the threads. Because this was made before that, the OP will always remain the one here. That is why I saw no point in merging the threads as it is. There is no way to merge it with the "better thread" having that OP be the thread OP. One of the threads will have to be locked or the OP deleted, and I'll honestly rather keep the one which was made first since this is about a goddamn trailer.

If you have a better solution, let me know!

You're absolutely right.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Here's the problem with merging the threads. Because this was made before that, the OP will always remain the one here. That is why I saw no point in merging the threads as it is. There is no way to merge it with the "better thread" having that OP be the thread OP. One of the threads will have to be locked or the OP deleted, and I'll honestly rather keep the one which was made first since this is about a goddamn trailer.

I think Sculli's suggestion of quoting my OP is a good one, as long as the work I put into the thread isn't wasted.

duckroll

I say merge the threads and delete the chatter. Sounds like work and I'm not trying to tell the mods what to do. Just trying to do the diplomatic thing.

That doesn't address the main problem that I'm expressing here. People don't really "want" the other thread, as much as the OP for the other thread, which was much more detailed with regards to fanwank about the movie and story at large. I can understand that. But since that thread was made later, it cannot replace the OP here, unless I delete all the posts that lead up to that, which.... I feel would be rather rude just to please a few hardcore fans who want a "pretty" OP which is largely pointless once we're a few pages into discussion.

Remember, this still first and foremost a discussion forum, and not some PR dumping ground. I know that sounds offensive, but that's really the honest view that I'm sharing.

Edmond Dantès;33634889 said:
I think Sculli's suggestion of quoting my OP is a good one, as long as the work I put into the thread isn't wasted.

Cool, then we can put an end to this silly debate, and everyone is happy! :)

I just don't want people accusing Sculli for trying to "hijack" the "better OP for himself" or anything, because that's just... childish and silly talk.

For those wanting battles let's not forget that they are also adding the entire plot-line about the council of wizards fighting the necromancer (
Sauron
) so that Gandalf has more to do than he did in the book (in which the events that will be shown here were only talked about).

In addition to that I do clearly remember some action occurring in the Misty Mountains as well as the big battle near the end. I would definitely bank on more action in the second movie than the first but I am sure you will still get enough to satisfy you in this first offering. Plus let's be honest, the LOTR movies were fantastic for many more reasons than just their massive fight scenes.

It'd be the ultimate troll if after Bilbo
gets knocked unconscious in the Battle of the Five Armies, the next shot is him waking up and the battle's over, Game of Thrones- style.

Man, can't believe I'm spoiler tagging a 70+ year old book...

No, I understand.

But, the books were extremely similar in descriptions, they both take place in the same world, and the movies both have the same director.

So, I do think it is a bit silly.

Now, if it was the Simarillion....

Of course with the same director expecting consistency is reasonable. Can't really fault Jackson on that.

But there was a time when Guilermo Del Toro was attached to the project, and his interpretation would probably have differed significantly. I was looking forward to that, which is why I find this kind of underwhelming.

I don't think that's "silly".

LCfiner

neat trailer. I actually just finished the Hobbit last night (had bought it years ago but never cracked it open till now).

Looking forward to this one (and also wondering how exactly they’ll pad this one out to two movies. My initial hunch is a bunch of LOTR cameos.

And I would like it if Edmond’s OP could be placed in here somehow. it really gave a nice backstory to the material. the quote idea seems fine.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
AHHHHHHH

Looks so amazing. So gorgeous... Martin Freeman is peeerfect. Loved the dwarves singing... still miffed about short beards, but who cares, this movie is going to own my soul!

Squeeeee

That doesn't address the main problem that I'm expressing here. People don't really "want" the other thread, as much as the OP for the other thread, which was much more detailed with regards to fanwank about the movie and story at large. I can understand that. But since that thread was made later, it cannot replace the OP here, unless I delete all the posts that lead up to that, which.... I feel would be rather rude just to please a few hardcore fans who want a "pretty" OP which is largely pointless once we're a few pages into discussion.

Remember, this still first and foremost a discussion forum, and not some PR dumping ground. I know that sounds offensive, but that's really the honest view that I'm sharing.

Cool, then we can put an end to this silly debate, and everyone is happy! :)

I just don't want people accusing Sculli for trying to "hijack" the "better OP for himself" or anything, because that's just... childish and silly talk.
Is the timing of threads a forum software thing?

Trike

Delete both threads and make a new one. Make sure you go "Guys, how has this not been posted already.

Guys, it is just a thread for a trailer. There is literally no need to make the post more than "hey look at this trailer".

Edmond Dantès;33634889 said:

I'd be happy to. I can't click the 'quote' button atm though since its locked. Ducky? I just want the raw image links and stuff so I don't have to right click and copy/paste the thousands of images there.

duckroll

I'd be happy to. I can't click the 'quote' button atm though since its locked. Ducky? I just want the raw image links and stuff so I don't have to right click and copy/paste the thousands of images there.

Oh, whoops. I can move the OP into yours, and give credit to Edmond. Gimme a sec.

watershed

Banned
Looks great, right from the start it made me feel like I was re-entering middle earth. I just hope the movie is more than a nostalgia trip and the filmmakers are able to create drama even if you already know the general outcome.

Raguel

agjalghjaerghakfhbgakfga HOBBIT! My most anticipated movie of next year. So many blockbusters but to see this movie finally in production. To see gandalf an frodo and galadriel. And gollum!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

Tron 2.0

You really should add Guillermo Del Toro to the list of screenwriters. For some reason he was left out of Edmond Dantès' OP.

Veidt posted this in the other thread

OspiC.jpg

that looks like a damn painting omg

Oh, whoops. I can move the OP into yours, and give credit to Edmond. Gimme a sec.

Cheers, buddy.

There really is way too much angst going on in this thread about a trailer. Nobody meant to offend anybody and people are getting petty over stupid shit, whilst Dantes and I are usually posting Hobbit shit back and forth and have no problems right now.

Meh, It blew my pubes straight, I was expecting them to fall off completely.
but the clip where
UNH! double up UNH UNH!
could be good if they don't over do it.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
yea that shit is my wallpaper now. on the giant screen. so gorgeous.

bengraven

Two things:

1) who else JUST picked up the book for a re-read? I've got my Annotated version on my desk right this moment.

2) I fucking love Balin, he was my favorite dwarf. I never pictured him so old though, but that said, the moment when Thorin is singing and Balin is the one to stand first, that look of gravity on his face...I fucking smiled. Love me some Balin.

This is the most mind-blowing week of trailers in all of human achievement.

This. Jesus Christ.

That said, I'm not watching the Prometheus one until we get a non-cam version.

Lirlond

I read this just last week. The songs are still a chore to read but they are nice flavour. Hearing the dwarfs sing was just. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom