• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny

Billbofet

Has it always been a thing to be so quippy and conversational during a life-threatening situation or am I just sensitive to it after 35 Marvel movies?
This clip is just okay. Not seeing why this would be singled out as something to release on Twitter to excite anyone.
This feels like a reskin of that terrible chase scene in Rise of Skywalker after they go to Burning Man.

HoodWinked

kWXV9Df.png

Haemi

Why is the color grading so extreme? Why does it have to look so "digital"?
Why are they casually talking wile being in a car chase? Are they actually able to multitask do not need to focus on what is important at that moment?
Couldn't they cut the bamboo part at the end in a way that would suggest, she was actually thinking for a moment, what she should do next?

Is it so hard to make a movie, that feels and looks like an Indy movie while telling a new story?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Poor Harrison. I get that he would have been offered fat stacks for this and Star Wars but man he must absolutely detest working in these shallow, brain-dead, nostalgia cash grabs.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sad to see this, I had been hoping it'd be a good movie, but if this is the best clip they could rustle up, one to really excite people, even people like me who want it to be good, then I think we're in trouble.

FunkMiller

Why is the color grading so extreme? Why does it have to look so "digital"?
Why are they casually talking wile being in a car chase? Are they actually able to multitask do not need to focus on what is important at that moment?
Couldn't they cut the bamboo part at the end in a way that would suggest, she was actually thinking for a moment, what she should do next?

Is it so hard to make a movie, that feels and looks like an Indy movie while telling a new story?

Why are you asking any of these questions when this is a Disney product? It's all one big, homogenised mess from them. Everything looks, feels and plays out the same.

This is film making by way of McDonalds. Easily digestible trash that's bad for you, but easy to consume. They have their factory line, and everything that comes out of it is put through the same process.

I trust the director of Logan ... This scene is out of context and just a small snippet of a larger film. I'll still see it and judge it on its own merits.
You can trust the director. But if the people on top of him don't want any risks, there is nothing he can do about it. If Disney had a thing against practical effects, there won't be. And so on. As long as Indy is not too different from the past, we will forgot those action packed scenes and love the film for the emotional moments. Ford still have his voice and acting talent at least. At least I hope so.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Pretty sure the older Indy movies had car chases too
These aren't cars though, they are scooters.

He is not on a horse. Or motocycle. Or boat. Or blimp. Or vine. Or tank. Or minecart. Or raft sliding down a mountain.

A. damn. SCOOTER!

And yeah, the use of CG means the stunts are lazy and the tension is gone. So they gotta fill that gap with dialogue lest the audience, who knows it's all fake, gets bored. If this was all being done practically they wouldn't be able to easily film the actors like that, record dialogue, or any of that, plus the visceral feel of REAL scooter-bikes, REAL cars, REAL stunts, carries the scene. Nothing about that scene felt real or on location though. If they WERE on location, then they killed any value with the digital look and magic camera shots.

I don't really have much hope for the future of cinema (for my tastes) as there are a vanishing number of folks that even know how to do shit practically and even fewer studios willing to allocate the production time versus just slamming crunch and more effects shops in post, fuck it if it looks sloppy, gotta meet that release window that was announced 4 years ago and has to fit seamlessly between 2 other films and a TV show tie-in.

So I'm just hoping that the handful of directors that can NAIL digital, like Cameron, Gareth Edwards, even the District 9 guy if he can get a good script, keep working.

Top Bottom