• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I was wondering why he hasn't posted any more defence of the movie since this clip and review yet like he's been doing in the past. 👀

Maybe reality's starting to sink in. :messenger_winking_tongue:
He'll probably reply to me after I just tag him.

He's a bit of a fanboy but I have nothing against him and I don't think he's a paid shill or anything but that official review is pretty damning. It's even worse than I expected and I was trying to keep optimistic about it.

Last edited:

Kilau

Very sad to see racist, sexist, alt right professional reviewer trolls review bombing this film. We need to do better and Rotten Tomatoes needs to remove their scores and blacklist them immediately. Disney also needs to make a statement denouncing them.

tXvcLj0.png
Oh well, gotta be better than Crystal Skull reviewed.

lAPaxwU.jpg

No Way Reaction GIF by Freeform

Madflavor

Gold Member
Another angle to look at here is James Mangold, and the pattern of Lucasfilm announcing projects early with a director who's hot at the time, and then cancelling the project after the director puts out a film/show that stinks. It happened with Patty Jenkins, Weiss and Benioff, and Josh Trank to name a few, but there was more. With James Mangold they announced a Jedi Origins film with him as the director, and now Indiana Jones 5 is shaping up to be the cinematic equivalent of doo doo butter. So be on the look out for the same pattern to follow here.

What's really sad about this situation is that the film is shaping up to be exactly what EVERYONE thought was going to be. A film that disrespects Indiana Jones as a character and the legacy he left behind, only to be upstaged and talked down to by an annoying feminist asshole. It's like the one playing card Disney/LF has with these franchises these past 10 years, and people are so sick of watching their beloved heroes being deconstructed and ruined.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The sad thing is that they will blame Indy as a "tired example of male misogyny and white patricarchy that no one wants to see" when the reality is we just want a fun brisk action adventure with a dynamic charismatic male lead who slings a whip, finds some ancient shit, punches a bunch if bad guys, and kisses a girl. Thus formula ain't exactly rocket science.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The sad thing is that they will blame Indy as a "tired example of male misogyny and white patricarchy that no one wants to see" when the reality is we just want a fun brisk action adventure with a dynamic charismatic male lead who slings a whip, finds some ancient shit, punches a bunch if bad guys, and kisses a girl. Thus formula ain't exactly rocket science.
But Top Gun 2 is sitting out there being manly and cool and blowing stuff up for no real reason. Saved the cinema.

Stole the trench run from iron eagle and Star Wars.

Darkmakaimura

Don't forget there's also an official Indiana Jones video game in the works.

I wonder how they're going to handle that? Probably very poorly.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Saw this today;

The best way to get a million dollar franchise, is to give Kathleen Kennedy a billion dollar franchise.
A little unfair but probably not far off. The Star Wars films do pretty well, but I just gotta think the merch side is a pale shade compared to the OT and even PT stuff. The video games may do well for them though, who can say.

Indy really shoulda had a cartoon that they could use to bridge the character to younger audiences, then relaunch it with Harrison as a cameo and a new Indy back where he belongs in the 20s and 30s. Get him back fighting nazis, proto nazis, and unscrupulous archeologists with a bit more of a fair shake to the cultures he visits, but less of the educational "let me meet rando famous people" aspect the Chronicles had.

Darkmakaimura

I am so happy for every of my favorite books/movies not getting a modern release/remake until these times are over ..
Yeah. This is a real kick in the balls since Raiders of the Lost Ark it's probably my favorite movie of all time. I still remember seeing it with my late father back in 1981 in theaters.

In fact, I'm one of the few people who also really loves Temple of Doom.

So it kind of sucks to see what looks like some kind of ideological agenda here, which doesn't surprise me though considering the times as well as it being Disney.

Saber

Even IGN gave it a 4 lmao

Even IGN review is worth as much as an used toilet paper. The guy behind talked pretending to sound cool and tried its best to not talk that bad of the female leading character.
The movie is bad, but this review falls in category of going with the flow.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I am so happy for every of my favorite books/movies not getting a modern release/remake until these times are over ..
See, they should go back and remake Barbarella, Caged Heat, Thelma and Louise, or stuff like that. Movies with the message they want already or that could be co opted with little complaint. What happened to Red Sonja anyway?

Contrary to liberal opinion, there are options from the past that reflect their values without the need to shit all over guy stuff.

I want a high budget remake of They Live, that film is down right prophetic. And not a Rock/Kevin Hart joke version either (though that could be dope), but a serious honest version.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
But Top Gun 2 is sitting out there being manly and cool and blowing stuff up for no real reason. Saved the cinema.
I think people just wanted a regular movie, no agenda, no nothing. Top Gun 2 is just ok, maybe a 7, there's really nothing happening.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Even IGN review is worth as much as an used toilet paper. The guy behind talked pretending to sound cool and tried its best to not talk that bad of the female leading character.
This sounds like a disaster… who could have guessed.. another icon becomes a sad, bitter, broken shadow of themselves? The f is wrong with Lucasfilm? Is that how you really think you are passing the torch? This sounds miles away from the good efforts made by Picard Season 3, a master class of doing that by comparison.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I know many my generation grew up and fell in love with these films, with these franchises - so why are they so adamant about running them into the fucking ground.
I guess they hate your (our) generation… at some point there must be some of that in.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Why are y'all hanging on to that one review? It's like 50/50 with the reviews. You'll either like it or not like it. It's all down to personal taste. Lemme balance this thread, as all things should be...

The Wrap:
But that’s the curse of the modern-day action flick. “Dial of Destiny” has an ace in the hole with Harrison Ford and with the character he plays – a guy for whom we feel so much affection that we’ll go along with all kinds of silliness if we can see a little more Indy. It really makes Indiana Jones our most endearing action hero, and Ford and Mangold clearly know that and know how to work with it.

When the film calms down after (spoiler alert) the world has been saved, there are some beautifully affecting moments. If this is the final Indiana Jones movie, as it most likely will be, it’s nice to see that they stuck the landing.

https://www.vulture.com/article/ind...utm_medium=social_acct&utm_campaign=feed-part

Awards Watch

Harrison Ford finds a fitting end to one of cinema’s greatest action heroes, and one of the most iconic roles of his career, with this film. It’s seriously great to see Ford in action for one last wild, non-stop ride as he gives it his all, more so physically than emotionally.

Collider

The most thrilling aspect of Dial of Destiny is its action sequences. The film kicks off at the end of World War II in a de-aged flashback to a younger Indy fighting Nazis on a speeding train, and then shows that even after decades of adventuring, Indy's still got it when we jump to 1969. Whether it's on a horse or behind the wheel of a tuk-tuk, Ford shows he's still a compelling action star. The action set pieces of Dial of Destiny are sprawling, be it on land, sea, or in the air, director James Mangold never holds back on the fun of these scenes.

Jinzo Prime

Already happening in some box office forums/threads. "Old white people don't go see movies" is the current cope.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm so (not) shocked to see that it sucks. This franchise was over with 30 years ago. It was a great trilogy. Everything after was fanfiction.

Salz01

It sounds like Ryan Mcfuckerty. There is nothing to cover about Xbox at the moment so he is attempting to do movies.

Salz01

Why are y'all hanging on to that one review? It's like 50/50 with the reviews. You'll either like it or not like it. It's all down to personal taste. Lemme balance this thread, as all things should be...

The Wrap:
But that’s the curse of the modern-day action flick. “Dial of Destiny” has an ace in the hole with Harrison Ford and with the character he plays – a guy for whom we feel so much affection that we’ll go along with all kinds of silliness if we can see a little more Indy. It really makes Indiana Jones our most endearing action hero, and Ford and Mangold clearly know that and know how to work with it.

When the film calms down after (spoiler alert) the world has been saved, there are some beautifully affecting moments. If this is the final Indiana Jones movie, as it most likely will be, it’s nice to see that they stuck the landing.

https://www.vulture.com/article/ind...utm_medium=social_acct&utm_campaign=feed-part

Awards Watch

Harrison Ford finds a fitting end to one of cinema’s greatest action heroes, and one of the most iconic roles of his career, with this film. It’s seriously great to see Ford in action for one last wild, non-stop ride as he gives it his all, more so physically than emotionally.

Collider

The most thrilling aspect of Dial of Destiny is its action sequences. The film kicks off at the end of World War II in a de-aged flashback to a younger Indy fighting Nazis on a speeding train, and then shows that even after decades of adventuring, Indy's still got it when we jump to 1969. Whether it's on a horse or behind the wheel of a tuk-tuk, Ford shows he's still a compelling action star. The action set pieces of Dial of Destiny are sprawling, be it on land, sea, or in the air, director James Mangold never holds back on the fun of these scenes.

This gives me a tad more hope.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I was googling earlier and this popped up:

Thousands of words to inform us that a character set almost 100 years ago fails to meet the moral standards of the modern era. That's the point...

Listen to these morons at your own peril if you're trying to do anything creative. The only way to please them is by completely sanitizing any humanity from your work.

Vice.com can't die soon enough.

Whether it's on a horse or behind the wheel of a tuk-tuk, Ford shows he's still a compelling action star. The action set pieces of Dial of Destiny are sprawling, be it on land, sea, or in the air, director James Mangold never holds back on the fun of these scenes.
We’ve seen a good chunk of that tuk-tuk scene - it was not good. If that’s what they’re praising, how credible is that reviewer?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some surprising reactions from the press given the talent behind and in front of the screen here. Curious if it is really as creatively offensive as I'm reading or is just a matter of folks not knowing how to let go of the past. Definitely not going to base this of some one minute clip though.

FunkMiller

Feels like you're damning it with faint praise there, to be honest my friend.

The Indiana Jones movies should be - and were - a high watermark of film making. If we've reached the point where 'only half the reviews say it's crap' is a way to defend it, the franchise has fallen a long, long way. The original trilogy is some of the finest adventure movie stuff we've ever seen, featuring filmmakers at the top of their game, in an era that allowed them freedom for the creativity to flourish. Raiders remains one of my top five movies of all time.

This now feels like a flat shadow of all that. A dull, safe, corporate mandated echo, that cannot hope to compare, thanks to the way Hollywood conducts itself these days. Very sad.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Feels like you're damning it with faint praise there, to be honest my friend.

The Indiana Jones movies should be - and were - a high watermark of film making. If we've reached the point where 'only half the reviews say it's crap' is a way to defend it, the franchise has fallen a long, long way. The original trilogy is some of the finest adventure movie stuff we've ever seen, featuring filmmakers at the top of their game, in an era that allowed them freedom for the creativity to flourish. Raiders remains one of my top five movies of all time.

This now feels like a flat shadow of all that. A dull, safe, corporate mandated echo, that cannot hope to compare, thanks to the way Hollywood conducts itself these days. Very sad.

Dagnabbit. :(

Darkmakaimura

2 hours and 34 minutes of "why?"
All four Indiana Jones movies were about 2 hours so I guess this is going to be the longest one.

I also heard this is the most expensive movie Lucasfilm has ever produced. If it's as bad as it sounds that is disheartening.

Chiggs

Gold Member
All four Indiana Jones movies were about 2 hours so I guess this is going to be the longest one.

I also heard this is the most expensive movie Lucasfilm has ever produced. If it's as bad as it sounds that is disheartening.

If it's more expensive than Rise of Skywalker, then Disney is in for a dark summer.

Disney spared no expense on Rise of Skywalker, with the finale reportedly the most expensive of the latter part of the trilogy with a $275M production cost and total global costs of $627M

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Top Bottom