• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-Pina

For the past few weeks I've had so many loose ideas pop up with me having no idea what to do with them, or how they'd even fit. And then all of a sudden I get an idea that ties one loose idea with another, implies a few more existing ideas as an effect, and gives yet some more of my earlier ideas a purpose to exist. It's like a giant hole has been filled, and I couldn't think of a better way to tie everything into a theme. Fellow indies, has this ever happened to you?

Of course. This is constant on everyones mind. You have an idea, then you think about it, go back and forth etc. Its part of the process.
Now, what in my opinion I think you should do, is think if this idea is feasible technically and economically. I mean, can you afford to do it? Is it not too big or expensive? Also, can you really do it, or your team? And finally, one that most people forget, is there a market for it? Even if it is tiny you need to think about if you will be able to sell this.

Some ideas are just not right for the time being. As an example, if you told me you had an idea for a zombie game I would just ask you to think about something else because there are just too many zombie games. Unless you really have something unique it will just be one more zombie game in the flood of zombie games.

when working on FX I like to just sort of make a little playground in photoshop and start trying things. If I do something I like I'll extract the frames into their own sheet.

bullet01bb_enemyimpact.gif

This is kind of a "took more damage" type effect I was playing with, inspired by all the time I've been playing Muramasa lately. I think this'll have to be for bigger damage hits; I made a smaller one for regular damage. I'll see how these feel in game.

Awesome effects!

That's something I've always wanted to get good at doing but never found the right workflow to come out with anything decent.

Did you hand-animate that effect frame-by-frame and if so do you use a reference video/animation?

Also how long did it take you?

& finally, do you know any good tutorials on doing this kind of thing (i.e. fluid anime/manga-styled 2D effects?)

Thanks

Jobbs

Banned
Awesome effects!

That's something I've always wanted to get good at doing but never found the right workflow to come out with anything decent.

Did you hand-animate that effect frame-by-frame and if so do you use a reference video/animation?

& finally, do you know any good tutorials on doing this kind of thing (i.e. fluid anime/manga-styled 2D effects?)

Thanks

Thanks. In this case it was just experimentation, I did this smaller bullet hit first:

bullet01bb_enemyimpactsmall.gif

I kinda made this wavey smoke I thought was cool, so I tried elaborating on that.

I basically just drew a big wavey pink line and moved/manipulated it frame by frame, and layered them a bit. Remember that control T -> right click -> warp is your friend.

Wish I could help you on a specific guide or something for doing stuff like this, I don't use any, I just get an idea in my head and start tinkering.

Raonak

Banned
For the past few weeks I've had so many loose ideas pop up with me having no idea what to do with them, or how they'd even fit. And then all of a sudden I get an idea that ties one loose idea with another, implies a few more existing ideas as an effect, and gives yet some more of my earlier ideas a purpose to exist. It's like a giant hole has been filled, and I couldn't think of a better way to tie everything into a theme. Fellow indies, has this ever happened to you?

A lot. Just happened recently with the card mechanic for Nax. I wanted to have a pokemon style collect-em-all aspect to the game. And still hadn't worked on my equipment system, because it felt too generic. then boom. use cards which monsters drops as equips. and have a "card-dex" to fill up by finding all the cards in the game.
Feels so satisfying when it happens, like a moment of clarity.

Sometimes I come up with ideas that I want to make, but probably never will...
The other day, I was just brainstorming for nax's card mechanic and came up with an idea of a standalone triple triad game where you turn monsters into cards, battle, trade, sell with the cards in triple triad minigames. if free to play-> implement booster packs as micro-transactions.

Would probably have to really expand the triple triad ruleset if i were to make a standalone one though, some cards having special abilites, like
"Flight: this card gets a +1 to the bottom side if placed on the top row"
"Center of attention: card gets +1 on all sides when placed in the middle"
"Heater: this card gets +1 on all sides when there are 3 or more fire creatures on the board"

sounds so cool. one day maybe.

pixelpai

Neo Member
psy_cap_4.gif

Yup.. I like this! :D
Nice, looks very smooth
Are you doing all of your artwork yourself? Looks great.

thank you.. I am indeed making all of the artwork myself and I am not very good at art, so reading that someone likes the stuff i've come up with is a great motivation.

Thanks. In this case it was just experimentation, I did this smaller bullet hit first:

bullet01bb_enemyimpactsmall.gif

I kinda made this wavey smoke I thought was cool, so I tried elaborating on that.

I basically just drew a big wavey pink line and moved/manipulated it frame by frame, and layered them a bit. Remember that control T -> right click -> warp is your friend.

Wish I could help you on a specific guide or something for doing stuff like this, I don't use any, I just get an idea in my head and start tinkering.

See.. this is the kind of art, I dream of being able to do. Looks great. I like the smaller version more; the bigger one is a taste to flashy.

cbox

Jobbs do you have after effects by chance? Might want to look into it because you can create some insane special effects and export them as png sequences :)

Regardless, the effect you made frame by frame looks AWESOME! Nice work

I just released my first game on the Ouya, Abduction Action!. Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaD_Pi4L-Ko

I'd love for everyone to take a look and let me know what you think... if you have an Ouya, which I know isn't a ton of you. I ported this over from XNA using MonoGame. It ended up being a lot more involved / time consuming than I expected. I like console gaming though so I wanted to try it out despite the time, costs (Xamarin license for $300 and all new artwork), and low sales I've heard from others.

Noogy

Awesome effects!

Thanks

Looks great Jobbs. Myself I ended up doing a mix of things for Dust:AET... some hand animated, some with particle effects. Someday when I have time I hope to do some tutorials on how I did some of my effects.

BTW, shameless plug, I released Dust:AET on GOG.com today! http://www.gog.com/game/dust_an_elysian_tail

Ashodin

Man all these ideas for my second game keep bubbling up, and I keep writing them down... APEXICON is gonna be awesome, but this next game... whoo man.

razu

Man all these ideas for my second game keep bubbling up, and I keep writing them down... APEXICON is gonna be awesome, but this next game... whoo man.

I found it hard to stay on target sometimes during my game dev. I'd keep thinking about new stuff... I eventually found it useful to stop work completely on the current project. Fully map out what I thought of for the next game, even write prototypes, until I was happy I had something good or bad. Put it to bed. Then get back to the current project.

It's definitely a thing. I think it happens when you've had all the ideas for the current game, and just have to do the work to realise your ideas, but your 'idea factory' is still going at full steam. Someone's probably done a study or something..

Still, it's always better to have lots of cool ideas than none! A nice problem :D

Hey guys.. sorry if this is a newbie question but, what program can I learn to make 2D games that look like Megaman X4 or Metal Slug?

I figured if I ever get myself to learn how to make games I wana make the type of games that I miss, I have a lot of good ideas too.

graphics like this:

6a00d83452033569e200e54f60fecf8834-800wi.png

metalslug3-18.png

Hey guys.. sorry if this is a newbie question but, what program can I learn to make 2D games that look like Megaman X4 or Metal Slug?

I figured if I ever get myself to learn how to make games I wana make the type of games that I miss, I have a lot of good ideas too.

graphics like this:

http://geekti.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/6a00d83452033569e200e54f60fecf8834-800wi.png[img]

[img]http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/metalslug/metalslug3-18.png[img][/QUOTE]

A good beginner tool which requires no coding is Multimedia Fusion, it's extremely powerful for what it is and you can try it free.

[url]www.clickteam.com[/url]

Anonumos

Banned

graphics like this:

metalslug3-18.png

Get Game Maker 8.1

Noogy

graphics like this:

metalslug3-18.png

Are you wanting to do graphics or code? Both are going to be pretty lengthy answers. Since you specifically point out the visuals I'm guessing you are wanting to jump into pixel art? What's your current artistic level?

A good beginner tool which requires no coding is Multimedia Fusion, it's extremely powerful for what it is and you can try it free.

www.clickteam.com

Get Game Maker 8.1

Thanks guys, i'll try those out.

And that website is great, maybe I will start there and make a small project on ios

Are you wanting to do graphics or code? Both are going to be pretty lengthy answers. Since you specifically point out the visuals I'm guessing you are wanting to jump into pixel art? What's your current artistic level?

Not exactly sure what the process is for graphics vs coding but I'm guessing graphics.. and yes I do want to get into pixel art. I want to be able to create visuals like the games I posted above and SF3:3rd strike (which i prefer over SF4 btw). By artistic level if you mean in terms of computer programs, none. I'm good at photoshop but that's about it. Otherwise I'm really good at hand drawing and I think I'm pretty creative.

Ashodin

These guys

• Interstellaria
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Bloom
  • Battle Worlds: Kronos

been talkin' to em to try to get some cross-promotion with APEXICON. So far, we have a go on a Hyper Light Drifter cameo. Score!

So about a month or two ago, I was all interested in trying my hand at game development, something I've wanted to do for years. And then I learned that it was long and time-consuming and complicated, and abandoned that pursuit, like a day later (yay for preservance!)

At the time, it was a spur of the moment thing, no plans, no ideas, but now I actually have a cool concept that I want to try.

Equalizer Rush and it would be like that classic Flash helicopter game but the top, bottom, and obstacles of the "caverns" would be made of the equalizer bars that move to the music you play.

What do you think? Too complex or hard for someone to make with one of the free programs like Stencyl, etc.? I have no coding experience and would only be using whatever free programs are out there.

And on that note, what programs would you recommend for someone such as myself who has no experience?

Ashodin

That didn't take long to implement. Have a healing GIF!

healselfldpjt.gif

Aww yiss, the text turns green now when you are healing, and turns YELLOW (green + red dontcha know) when you are healing and dealing extra damage. So dope.

Paz

To all GAF devs, I made a thread for you to share your IGF entries, if you're interested:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711014

I flooded it with gifs of Cactus, let me know if that's overkill!

Haven't posted here much but I've been reading everything, Apeixon seems to be really coming together :) The next 5-6 weeks are going to be pretty intense for me so I won't be around as much, trying to finish Cactus this year.. The next character we release is going to be pretty interesting though, a totally different way of playing the game compared to the current 5 :p

Raonak

Banned
Independent Games Festival. It's like Cannes but for video games.

ah, cool. I was thinking Indie Games Fund if thats a thing.
Cactus looking as glorious as ever.
Is apexicon in there?

Anyway..

Finally got to release:
Nax of the Universe | Alpha (0.01)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nw41tntu8zq3e5e/Nax-0.01.exe

It's the first public alpha I've done for it, It's really short, 4 rooms, 2 enemy types, no music. BUT the combat engine is nearly feature complete (minus 2 weapons, and the magic system)
0iuELUs.gif

(some reverse snatcher action)

ah, cool. I was thinking Indie Games Fund if thats a thing.
Cactus looking as glorious as ever.
Is apexicon in there?

Anyway..

Finally got to release:
Nax of the Universe | Alpha (0.01)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nw41tntu8zq3e5e/Nax-0.01.exe
Very cool, a nice improvement over the other build I played. IMO, I do feel the keys are weirdly placed, but then again I've been playing a lot of Broforce, so I'm used to Z-X-C. I'll go spread the news in the Indie Thread

Raonak

Banned
Very cool, a nice improvement over the other build I played. IMO, I do feel the keys are weirdly placed, but then again I've been playing a lot of Broforce, so I'm used to Z-X-C. I'll go spread the news in the Indie Thread

Yeah, keys are a little misplaced. I had them on zxcv, but felt weird having them so close to the spacebar, so moved to wasd area. But full game will have remappable controls so that should remedy that.
Gamepad is where it really feels satisfying to play, all the buttons are really nicely mapped. Copied mostly from the DMC controls plus some God of war (r-stick dodge, L1 block)

Want to get another alpha out before the year's end, with a longer level, more challenging enemy types, cause the ones right now can be obliterated without a sweat.

Ashodin

Nah I missed the deadline.

Announcing:

00d097d7fb49fa4962722b1199487f63_large.png

tN7yFA0.jpg

WALL-ACH Mark V2.3
L7Lvmch.jpg

KbIIQzP.png

Last thing I'm working on tonight is beginnings of AI, then it's AI tomorrow.

Popstar

I had to work at home yesterday since I was waiting for the plumber. Hmmm... I wonder what Darkest Dungeon would look like on my TV... #screenshotfriday

5XmkyLN.jpg

I need advice. Any answer except give up will do.

I'm trying to design an adventure game. I've been trying to design this game for a couple of years now. I have a finished story outline, I have a good number of graphics done, but I can not get myself to write puzzles. I've tried playing dozens of adventure games, I've studied them inside and out, I've read design documents, I've memorized different types of puzzles and how they work, etc.

I can not get my brain to work. I can not write anything down. I can't get ideas to come. It's to the point where I'm so stressed and unhappy I find myself crying at night and miserable during the day. I want to do this so bad, that it's making me miserable. It's like wanting to ask out a girl who likes your best friend, only for them to get together and have sex in the room next to you, loudly, ending with them coming into your room and having sex in front of you while telling you how shitty you would be in comparison and her making jokes about how she's glad she doesn't have to do this with your disgusting ass, until they finish screaming and tell you to kill yourself so you don't have to live never having what they just had. Imagine the levels of despair and unhappiness that one would have at that moment, and that's what I feel at the end of every day when I look at an empty design document.

Popstar

If you can't get yourself to write anything down I'd say get Game Maker (or whatever) and start implementing what you have. Get some of your story and graphics on a screen and interactive even if it's just click on door; move to next room; walk to character and pop up dialog box.

If you can get that going then just start playing around. Don't worry about designing actual puzzles. Just start making little things interactive.

Don't give up! But do move on to something else or a different approach. You've practiced trying to write puzzles and then writing nothing so much you've gotten way too good at it. Do something you're bad at instead.

(this post brought to you by hours upon hours of doing the same thing over and over again while not finding a bug)

Popstar

wow man, darkest dungeon sounds really nice. how far are you in developement? think i have to buy it ;)
Just over three four months of full production with a couple months before that of part-time pre-production. Release is still far away.

Oh... and yes, yes, you do have to buy it ;)

Mak

graphics like this:

metalslug3-18.png

Pro Motion - http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php
Graphics Gale - http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

You can learn pixel art by watching others stream like Yacht Club Games working on Shovel Knight.
http://www.twitch.tv/yachtclubgames http://youtu.be/KBqBhk0B8Wk

Blitz Basic should be added to that list. You can download Blitz2D for free and its a great entry point for beginners getting into programming. It's not a game maker but a programming language with specific commands for creating games.
http://blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

Mikado

I need advice. Any answer except give up will do.

Sounds like you're probably already on the right track.

Maybe you want to make a narrative more than you want to really design puzzles? If so, that's ok!

My advice would be don't let the puzzle thing hold you up. Focus on what you're passionate about, which sounds like maybe it's the story. Flesh that out more. Refine your graphics/visual aesthetic. Maybe when that's a bit more clear, it will help inform the nature of your puzzles (if that's even a thing you feel you need at that point).

If you feel the need to justify it, just say you're making a Visual Novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom