• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noogy

I need advice. Any answer except give up will do.

I'm trying to design an adventure game. I've been trying to design this game for a couple of years now. I have a finished story outline, I have a good number of graphics done, but I can not get myself to write puzzles. I've tried playing dozens of adventure games, I've studied them inside and out, I've read design documents, I've memorized different types of puzzles and how they work, etc.

I can not get my brain to work. I can not write anything down. I can't get ideas to come. It's to the point where I'm so stressed and unhappy I find myself crying at night and miserable during the day. I want to do this so bad, that it's making me miserable. It's like wanting to ask out a girl who likes your best friend, only for them to get together and have sex in the room next to you, loudly, ending with them coming into your room and having sex in front of you while telling you how shitty you would be in comparison and her making jokes about how she's glad she doesn't have to do this with your disgusting ass, until they finish screaming and tell you to kill yourself so you don't have to live never having what they just had. Imagine the levels of despair and unhappiness that one would have at that moment, and that's what I feel at the end of every day when I look at an empty design document.

I imagine I'm probably in the minority, but I'd LOVE to play more adventure games without puzzles. There's nothing wrong with omitting a weak element in your game.

I've never played an adventure game to experience the puzzles. Give me an interesting world, fun characters, and a sense of wonder, and I will gladly play your game. I mean, look at something like Proteus... not for everyone, but some of us loved it.

missile

I need advice. Any answer except give up will do.

I'm trying to design an adventure game. I've been trying to design this game for a couple of years now. I have a finished story outline, I have a good number of graphics done, but I can not get myself to write puzzles. I've tried playing dozens of adventure games, I've studied them inside and out, I've read design documents, I've memorized different types of puzzles and how they work, etc.

I can not get my brain to work. I can not write anything down. I can't get ideas to come. It's to the point where I'm so stressed and unhappy I find myself crying at night and miserable during the day. I want to do this so bad, that it's making me miserable. ...
What do you believe is the cause of your possible inability to write puzzles?
Studying ones weaknesses enables one to do something about it -- one way or
another. Yet I'm with Popstar, Mikado, and Noogy and want to add that you may
use existing puzzles and modify them in some degree which will possibly
foster your brain doing some of your own. What's the game about, anyways?

... It's like wanting to ask out a girl who likes your best friend, only for them to get together and have sex in the room next to you, loudly, ending with them coming into your room and having sex in front of you while telling you how shitty you would be in comparison and her making jokes about how she's glad she doesn't have to do this with your disgusting ass, until they finish screaming and tell you to kill yourself so you don't have to live never having what they just had. ...
LOL!

I had to ...
5XmkyLN.jpg
Good looking stuff this is!

... It's definitely a thing. I think it happens when you've had all the ideas for the current game, and just have to do the work to realise your ideas, but your 'idea factory' is still going at full steam. ...
Pretty much! Every time I touch a new formula it opens up an entire new
universe to study. However, I also have the main game in my head, it never
goes to sleep.

missile

-- dev log / Superstall:
I made some further progress in developing the forces for the wings for my
aircraft(s). As some of you may already know, I can't use the standard method
for computing lift and drag given the respective equations and predefined
lift and drag coefficients for my aircraft, i.e. L = Cl*rho*v²*S and D = Cd*
rho*v²*S. Such (fixed) equations are good enough for making a flight
simulator, but, unfortunately, not good enough for my game as I found out --
not in terms of precision, but in terms of the whole dynamics of the
operational range of the aircraft, since a major part of Superstall deals with
maneuvering the craft during stalls -- an essential element of the gameplay.
The standard lift and drag equations (coefficients) are only given for normal
flight conditions, which can be seen by looking at the many data scattered
around from NASA's wind tunnel tests done on many known airfoils. Most of the
data is given for angles of attack of about 0 - 18 degrees, which is usually
sufficient for normal flight operation. However, I need data at 30, 50, 90
etc. degrees. Not speaking about a dynamic center of pressure. Anyhow, am
pretty close to a workable theory giving all these forces.

I've always been fascinated with the dungeon crawl and have taken stabs over the years to work on one that included not just monsters but also the environment (both natural and not) as physical hazards as well as the psychological aspects of delving. Flipping through the Torchbearer RPG strengthened my resolve -- there just needs to be CRPGs like that! We'll see if I stick with it -- full-time job and teenage kids kills my free time at the moment. =(

I'm thrilled to see Darkest Dungeon. It looks fantastic and I love the psychological focus. I was wondering about a few things I didn't see in the FAQ, however. Is the dungeon(s) procedurally generated? Will there be other hazards like traps and natural obstacles (cold swift streams, stale air, etc.)? Thanks!

I like the choice to go side-scrolling. I grappled with that versus top-down and settled on top-down, in part because -- unlike Darkest Dungeon -- I don't have the art chops to pull off side-scrolling. I'm also torn between turn-based and real-time, favoring a strategic, slow real-time as I'm having a hard time visualizing traps and natural environmental hazards as turn-based actors.

Zeenbor

Hey fellow devs,

Dunno if you guys saw in the iOS thread, but I finally released my game that I've been working on FOR YEARS!

IMG_0137.png
IMG_0046.png

IMG_0146.png
IMG_0088.png

PRICE: FREE | Download iPhone Version | Download iPad Version

FEATURES:

• Controls specifically designed for touch-screens! Arcade football with full control of your team: run, pass, throw, and tackle -- all at the touch of your fingertips.
  • RPG mechanics that reward you with XP every time you do something awesome. Level up and your players abilities will increase.
  • Build the ultimate team by collecting Hero Cards for your roster; Each Hero Card has unique skills and powers; Level each card to maximize their abilities.
  • Deep fighting game system with special moves such as: Spinning Fists, Dragon Punch, Tornado Kick, Rocket Shoes, Lock-On Tackle, Time Bomb, Bullet Pass, Teleport, Proximity Mine, Oil Slick and many more!
  • Build the ultimate football team and battle in Cup Mode or in Multiplayer; Customize your Team Name and City; Upload an image from your phone or tablet for your custom team logo. This will appear in your stadium and on your players' helmets; Customize all of your players' names and numbers.
  • Single-player Cup Mode pits you against increasingly power teams with unique tactics and deadly special moves; Defeat each Cup and claim the coveted Cup Trophy.
  • Multiplayer anywhere: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GameCenter, Online (Coming Soon!)
  • Cross device synching: Play with the same team on your smartphone or tablet!

I'd really love any feedback you guys have. :)

BTW, does anyone know how to get into the FlightPath beta? I submitted my e-mail (and we've been using TestFlight for over a year), but I haven't received any information on how to activate it for a retail build. It would be great to have real-time crash reports instead of iTunesConnect's periodic unsymbolicated crash reports.

friken

Yea, account approved I can finally post :) I've been lurking a while.

I started this project over 2 years ago but due to life and other work I'm just now getting back to it. It is a family affair... wife on art, son on music and learning to code  w/ me.

StarDiver - The goal is to revive my personal favorite game type, the space opera! By mixing favorite aspects of classics like StarFlight, Star Control, SunDog, Universe, and Tradewars, I hope to bring what I loved as a kid to the current generation. Quirky aliens, arcade space battles, planetary mining, and adventure around the galaxy -- should keep us busy developing for a while.

Lofty goal so here we go.... Every sci-fi game has to start with motivational alien character art:
alien1d-feature.jpg
frik2.gif
Ooope.gif

I've started with early prototyping three of the modes.

Combat:
Melee-newss-800.jpg
Melee-newss2-800.jpg

Planetary Mining:
Planetss1.jpg
Planetss2.jpg

Live VERY EARLY combat demo:

Controls: Arrowkeys or WASD for forward/back/strafe and ship follows mouse cursor. right-click fire
Ship: SunDagger, dive through the star to recharge. Dive through center to pull plasma to launch at the enemy with right mouse button.

Webplayer REZ 1600x900:
http://www.gravityride.com/testbuilds/StarDiver-Melee/

All input welcome!

Mikado

I screen, you screen, we all screen for #screengifsaturday.

cn_a6e0f11d.gif

New slash effects. Improved curve tangent generation for slash arcs. Fixed the hitstop implementation finally. Added radial zoom to solid hits.

cn_b3bea806.gif

New splash effects. This pond has been in the test level forever but I never show it cause it didn't have splashes.

I wish I had something to show...

I just got place holder graphics running and jumping around just to test my sprite animation outlines >_>

Blizzard

Banned
I wish I had something to show...

I just got place holder graphics running and jumping around just to test my sprite animation outlines >_>
I got a colored rectangle to show on the screen!

I mean, it's in the wrong corner from what I wanted, BUT IT'S STILL A RECTANGLE, DARNIT.

Ok, screw it being still super early to show something, I'll just throw stuff up for feedback purposes. I'm going for something that is more of a megaman zero game than a metroidvania. Right now it's a one man project so this is gonna take me awhile...

Just testing an outline in-game so I can make the sprite at a later date. At least with the outline done I can just do the art on top of it when I finish the concepts. So yeah, running on a bazillion placeholders.
hJBDiVd.gif

And early concept art
ACOT2HW.png

Finally finished a new background, so posted this to screenshotsaturday.

ss1110sono.png

This is of Lisa fighting a rogue security officer & a preppster lookin dude in front of the BOA bank. The logo plays off the oroboros (self eating snake) surrounding our money... so there's political subtext in our brands!

Coming off of working at Rockstar I really respect their talent at creating a ton of different brands and logos to go along with them.

Game is Treachery in Beatdown City, as I see many people recommending we tell them what the game name is.. which makes sense, also I am mostly a lurker here.

I guess we all have to start somewhere ...

I have a game design class, I'm an Arts student who majors in Media and Communication. So far I have done Game Design 101 class (which was just basic theory) and another class which had advanced theory with fancy words like Ludology, Narratology interspersed in and around and whatnot. I did very as I got As across the board ... but none of them had me actually making a game.

I have been reluctant to try my hand at making a game as to be fair, my maths skills is probably at a sixth grade level. I'm not kidding -___-

I'm joining a sophomore year class, which will require us to make a game and critique it, because I want to make videogames in some capacity in the future, but programming and art asset creation is just not who I am.

I told the lecturer I am great at making GDDs (at least my scores say so XD ) and I can write narrative/characters/plot. Yet I still though have the inclining feeling that my group may roll their eyes at me when I say all that and won't take me seriously without any practical technical skills, probably thinking I'm an annoying ideas guy who doesn't understand what videogames are about.

I want to learn something technically practical and I don't have a lot of time to do so, a few weeks, and with limited hours in the day at that. I doubt I can learn a game engine, so is there something I can learn before I start this class?

P.S. Students here learn GameMaker, Unity and Flash if that is somehow relevant.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been really busy the last couple of days.

Sounds like you're probably already on the right track.

Maybe you want to make a narrative more than you want to really design puzzles? If so, that's ok!

My advice would be don't let the puzzle thing hold you up. Focus on what you're passionate about, which sounds like maybe it's the story. Flesh that out more. Refine your graphics/visual aesthetic. Maybe when that's a bit more clear, it will help inform the nature of your puzzles (if that's even a thing you feel you need at that point).

If you feel the need to justify it, just say you're making a Visual Novel.

I made the mistake of making the characters first, then building the story around scenes I wanted to have. I think this is probably the worst way to write a narrative I can think of, but I've spent a lot of time revising the story in my head. So when it came time to make the puzzles, I fucked myself over big time.

I imagine I'm probably in the minority, but I'd LOVE to play more adventure games without puzzles. There's nothing wrong with omitting a weak element in your game.

I've never played an adventure game to experience the puzzles. Give me an interesting world, fun characters, and a sense of wonder, and I will gladly play your game. I mean, look at something like Proteus... not for everyone, but some of us loved it.

Well, the way I look at it is that puzzles should involve something fun to do. Something you WANT to do. The Secret of Monkey Island is the purest example of this I can think of, and LOOM is pretty good too. In Monkey Island, you get to go treasure hunting, sword-fighting, thieving, and get a pirate ship and crew. You even get to explore an island of cannibals. These are things that are all fun and adventurous. I want puzzles that fit that mold.

What do you believe is the cause of your possible inability to write puzzles?
Lack of imagination is one, perhaps. Inexperience is another. I've gotten better at writing puzzles over time. The biggest problem I have is designers/writers block. I tend to get stuck and stare at my design document instead of getting anything written.

Studying ones weaknesses enables one to do something about it -- one way or
another. Yet I'm with Popstar, Mikado, and Noogy and want to add that you may
use existing puzzles and modify them in some degree which will possibly
foster your brain doing some of your own. What's the game about, anyways?

It's about a band of boy scouts who find themselves trapped in a woodland camp of death, with vampires, wolfmen, and an axe maniac.

I guess we all have to start somewhere ...

I have a game design class, I'm an Arts student who majors in Media and Communication. So far I have done Game Design 101 class (which was just basic theory) and another class which had advanced theory with fancy words like Ludology, Narratology interspersed in and around and whatnot. I did very as I got As across the board ... but none of them had me actually making a game.

I have been reluctant to try my hand at making a game as to be fair, my maths skills is probably at a sixth grade level. I'm not kidding -___-

I'm joining a sophomore year class, which will require us to make a game and critique it, because I want to make videogames in some capacity in the future, but programming and art asset creation is just not who I am.

I told the lecturer I am great at making GDDs (at least my scores say so XD ) and I can write narrative/characters/plot. Yet I still though have the inclining feeling that my group may roll their eyes at me when I say all that and won't take me seriously without any practical technical skills, probably thinking I'm an annoying ideas guy who doesn't understand what videogames are about.

I want to learn something technically practical and I don't have a lot of time to do so, a few weeks, and with limited hours in the day at that. I doubt I can learn a game engine, so is there something I can learn before I start this class?

P.S. Students here learn GameMaker, Unity and Flash if that is somehow relevant.

Nothing wrong with GameMaker, Unity and Flash. The engine used to create the game means nothing if the game made with it is good. If you need something EXTREMELY easy there's good ol RPGMaker.

Getting started on a project is usually one of the hardest hurdles in the first place, so I would just say "Shut up and get going." If you want to learn how to make a game by making one, then go ahead. You won't know how things will turn out without actually trying.

friken

A couple people commented that the screenshots do not do a good job conveying much, so I recorded some video here:

I tried an animated gif, but with just about every pixel changing every frame of the game it was pretty huge even for a couple seconds. Is there a youtube tag?

Five

Banned
Friken, I'm going to have to assume you've been highly inspired by Star Control. It looks to similar to merely be a coincidence. I loved Star Control, and its sequel even more, so that'd be really cool if you're trying to do something similar!

friken

Friken, I'm going to have to assume you've been highly inspired by Star Control. It looks to similar to merely be a coincidence. I loved Star Control, and its sequel even more, so that'd be really cool if you're trying to do something similar!

I'm very excited you noticed! I am a massive fan of StarControl (especially #2)! I also am inspired by StarFlight, SunDog, Universe2, and TradeWars.... all classic scifi space opera greatness. I have to admit though, from that list StarControl2 does reign supreme :)

DSix

Banned
I made an important feature request for Unity: http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggest...ps-to-be-explicitely-played-by-script-command
Anyone with an account could really help changing that, please give it all your votes and make it happen.

So far I absolutely love Unity, but currently mecanim is a huge bloated POS. That whole thing with the graphical animation editor and giving only access to nondescript values is nothing but a lot of useless complications. We really need to have the option to bypass that and call animation clips explicitly from script.

Feep

Banned
I made an important feature request for Unity: http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggest...ps-to-be-explicitely-played-by-script-command
Anyone with an account could really help changing that, please give it all your votes and make it happen.

So far I absolutely love Unity, but currently mecanim is a huge bloated POS. That whole thing with the graphical animation editor and giving only access to nondescript values is nothing but a lot of useless complications. We really need to have the option to bypass that and call animation clips explicitly from script.
Can't you just use legacy animation for that?

Personally, I like the FSM. I can easily just set a parameter instead of directly calling a clip, and with the FSM, it'll only transition if the rules I set up allow it...from certain states, to other states, et cetera.

DSix

Banned
But the legacy system doesn't even support basic animation retargeting, and it will be discontinued. I'd like to use mecanim for that, but it isn't actually very usable as it is :/

cbox

Curious if anyone has dealt with XNA, C# and storing stats on a MySQL server securely? Trying to find documentation has been tough.

I'd like to have global stats for our game display on our site, but I don't have an asp.net server which would make things easier. Thoughts?

A couple people commented that the screenshots do not do a good job conveying much, so I recorded some video here:

I tried an animated gif, but with just about every pixel changing every frame of the game it was pretty huge even for a couple seconds. Is there a youtube tag?

It looks really really cool! Good job.

benSks

Neo Member
I posted about this here a couple months ago, but i've just uploaded the new trailer to my open world survival horror game 'The Forest'

http://youtu.be/KwImGYR2rwg

We're actually using mecanim for everything and it's amazing, makes animation so fast/easy

Blizzard

Banned
I think I finally made some progress understanding/refreshing my memory about shaders, so now it's time to learn/relearn matrix stuff and model/view/projection transformations.

I always disliked linear algebra, worst of all the math classes. =P Calc 1, Calc 3, DiffEQ, combinatorics, prob/stat were fine, but linear algebra was obnoxious.

I'm already going to almost certainly be behind my own rough schedule I started making, but at least I'm making progress again! I found a couple of links for reading tomorrow:
http://solarianprogrammer.com/2013/05/22/opengl-101-matrices-projection-view-model/
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/tutorial-3-matrices/

I'm guessing you've played Kentucky Route Zero, right? It doesn't have puzzles, but a really surreal, illusionary open road Americana world.

iD9gUJpIByLoR.gif

iuhQ0hPOBMqsB.gif

iqJQ9FmoF3mmR.gif

ji9QrgUacyWfk.jpg

missile

I think I finally made some progress understanding/refreshing my memory about shaders, so now it's time to learn/relearn matrix stuff and model/view/projection transformations.

I always disliked linear algebra, worst of all the math classes. =P Calc 1, Calc 3, DiffEQ, combinatorics, prob/stat were fine, but linear algebra was obnoxious.

I'm already going to almost certainly be behind my own rough schedule I started making, but at least I'm making progress again! I found a couple of links for reading tomorrow:
http://solarianprogrammer.com/2013/05/22/opengl-101-matrices-projection-view-model/
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/tutorial-3-matrices/
Are your more interested in learning matrix stuff or learning model/view
projections?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I like this. Love the way you can trace out material from the 'star' when you pass through it.

Galdelico

Finally finished a new background, so posted this to screenshotsaturday.

ss1110sono.png

This is of Lisa fighting a rogue security officer & a preppster lookin dude in front of the BOA bank. The logo plays off the oroboros (self eating snake) surrounding our money... so there's political subtext in our brands!

Coming off of working at Rockstar I really respect their talent at creating a ton of different brands and logos to go along with them.

Game is Treachery in Beatdown City, as I see many people recommending we tell them what the game name is.. which makes sense, also I am mostly a lurker here.
That's something I'd love to play.
Not to mention it also looks pretty sweet. :)

GulAtiCa

I'm getting very close to being done with my game! So exciting! Pretty much just cleaning stuff up now, adding in or replacing graphics and finally adding music. I'm still hopeful to get online leaderboards working before I submit it to Nintendo. I feel not having that in for launch, esp for an arcade type game, would be bad. Think I'll work on that tonight.

Edit: Looks like Nintendo provides the use of their servers for rankings. This will make things much much easier for me. Hopefully will also making adding this simple as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Are your more interested in learning matrix stuff or learning model/view
projections?
Not really either, just enough to understand the basics of both in a pure 2D environment so that I can implement translation, rotation, and scaling. =P

Now if I ever get to AI, I might delve into that a bit deeper.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd been sitting on this placeholder frame for one of my enemies for a while, so today I'm animating it.

stage3a.png

To make this puppy move, what I'll be doing is slicing it up into a bunch of pieces, retouching the pieces to fill in any blanks, get them all moving in the desired way, then retouch.

Here's my initial butcher job. I expanded them out so you can see them better.

ms2puppet.png

I knew what I wanted to do was start iwth a basic idle motion. Kind of a bobbing up and down, with some parts pulsing grossly. What I decided to do was focus on just the downward motion, and after that's in place, I'll reuse some of those frames to bring it back up.

I use photoshop to do my animations. To start, I just did some basic sliding of the body parts to orient everything to the bottom point of its travel. This is 6 frames.

ms3idlepass01.gif

There's no retouching yet. In some cases I rotating a body part a bit by frame to keep it lined up.

Now with that more or less in place, I duplicated some of the frames for traveling downward and put them at the end, but this time in reverse order, so it travels back up. I also retouched it a bit with the brush over top of everything, to add some lighting and other oddities to make it look more natural. I also tweaked his arm and fingers some on the way back up to make it swing a bit more naturally.

stage2_idle01.gif

This looks about right now, and it didn't take me much time at all. It's kind of a hybrid system -- It's sort of a 2D doll, but it's also sort of traditional. I did more or less the same thing to animate the player character, just with more work put in to get all the poses right.

RIGHT_run_lc.gif

I'm on schedule to do hopefully finish all of this enemy's remaining animations by the end of today.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't want to look into your head. ;) Nice, nice!

It gets worse. :) That's a stage 3 mutant. It goes up to 5.

stage 1: recently deceased, still resembles human self
stage 2: less recently deceased, may have special powers or mutations
stage 3: pretty old, lost spark, kinda aimless, no longer resembles individual self
stage 4: additional mutations, more monstrous
stage 5: ???

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, screw it being still super early to show something, I'll just throw stuff up for feedback purposes. I'm going for something that is more of a megaman zero game than a metroidvania. Right now it's a one man project so this is gonna take me awhile...

Just testing an outline in-game so I can make the sprite at a later date. At least with the outline done I can just do the art on top of it when I finish the concepts. So yeah, running on a bazillion placeholders.
hJBDiVd.gif

So I just needed to comment on this. When I started making games 15 years ago, my final products looked like this. I just had this crazy nostalgia bomb, haha.

Shiver

I've been lurking this thread for a while, but I just gotta jump in here and say that Ghost song looks amazing. Love the colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom