• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2016 [August] Lets play some Indies!

Spruchy

Yay, new thread!

Road to Ballhalla released yesterday (http://store.steampowered.com/app/425410), quote to reveal a few keys for the game if you're interested. :)

71MM01F.gif

Can confirm all the keys are used. Thanks a lot for the opportunity though, will try to pickup the game when possible.

Vlambeer posted recently about multiple updates:

http://www.vlambeer.com/2016/08/announcement/

The PC patch/updates for Super Crate Box, Gun Godz and Serious Sam: Random Encounter are notable for me: I have been unable to play these games on Steam/Win10. Looking forward to booting those up again (or finally playing Gun Godz).

Main announcement is about a history of the company book they are putting together. Sounds neat.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Vlambeer posted recently about multiple updates:

http://www.vlambeer.com/2016/08/announcement/

The PC patch/updates for Super Crate Box, Gun Godz and Serious Sam: Random Encounter are notable for me: I have been unable to play these games on Steam/Win10. Looking forward to booting those up again (or finally playing Gun Godz).

Main announcement is about a history of the company book they are putting together. Sounds neat.

It's been kind of upsetting the way they just disappeared - NT was left in a broken state on consoles for ages. I understand that their choice ofr IDE forced them to deal with a broken development process, but the lack of communication really put me off them. I love their games, but I'm hesitant to buy anything from them if this is how they plan to run their business.

On a seperate note, I'm also waiting on NMS. Just not convinced yet to spend that much for the game. This could easily turn into one of those "wait for a cheaper, more expanded version of the game"

How's everyone kickstarter life going on? I'm currently only waiting on Masquerada which looks like it has slipped a tad from its original release schedule but it is still plodding along and getting fairly regular (and lengthy) updates so I am not worried about it. After Ravenmark I am really excited to see Witching Hours next project when it is done.

Any cool KS projects you are waiting on with the ol' bated breath?

How's everyone kickstarter life going on? I'm currently only waiting on Masquerada which looks like it has slipped a tad from its original release schedule but it is still plodding along and getting fairly regular (and lengthy) updates so I am not worried about it. After Ravenmark I am really excited to see Witching Hours next project when it is done.

Rain World as usual. That Which Sleep has been frustrating to follow. Battletech and Elsinore have gotten some awesome updates recently.

Is Rain World ever coming out? I always just figured it was one of those "in development forever, best just enjoy the gifs" sorts of projects

Is Rain World ever coming out? I always just figured it was one of those "in development forever, best just enjoy the gifs" sorts of projects
Oh, yeah. It's more like The Witness or Inside. 5/6 years in development, tons of polish and attention in every area. Currently in beta/final testing, balancing, etc. Coming this year or early next. The Kickstarter allowed them to exand the scope greatly; they got an ecosystem of 30-40 species which all interact with each other independently of you

Oh, yeah. It's more like The Witness or Inside. 5/6 in development, tons of polish and attention in every area. Currently in beta/final testing, balancing, etc. Coming this year or early next. The Kickstarter allowed them to exand the scope greatly; they got an ecosystem of 30-40 species which all interact with eachothe independently of you

Very cool. I haven't exactly been holding my breath for it but once it gets a firm release date I'll definitely be all over it.

Wok

What are your worries?

Shallow interactions with a static world. I am afraid the game would not click with me.

If you can get away from your PS4 for a few minutes, please post your first impressions.

Toma has a PS4 and is playing NMS for about 10 hours per day.

Yeah.
Good, good. I was hoping the "Gets stale and repetive after 8 hours" complaints weren't common

And yeah, would love to read your impressions. I'm already sold, but I trust your thoughts on games most on GAF.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, NMS impressions. Some things out of the way:
1. I love the game, personal GOTY material for me
2. It does have issues and there is fair criticism to be talked about, but a lot of the common criticism is kinda meaningless for the group of players this game has been made for
3. Its easy to see how the game is super divisive, so depending on what games you like, its actually rather easy to see if you might like it or not.
4. I played around 35 hours, saw 30 solar systems and 30 planets
5. There are multiple threads about the issues with the communication/PR, so I wont go into this here and focus on what the game actually is.

Basics:
The game is a survival sandbox in the universe with a heavy leaning towards an exploratory gamewhere you take in sights and sound instead of being overly action focussed. It does not reinvent the basic nature of the genre. You will explore, collect, craft, fight and repeat. If you imagine any other crafting /survival game, you pretty much have most of the basic gameplay loop in mind. However, as with all games in that genre, the distinct and defining elements of each game makes them shine and be their own product. Battlefield and Call of Duty are both shooters and the distinction is more to be made in the detail, as it is here. I'll try to go into the individual parts of the game to talk more about the distinctive elements.

Procedural Generation & Biodiversity:
The procedural generation is probably the most divisive aspect. Sean stated in the past that you'll find living and breathing ecosystems that interact etc. This does not seem to be the case and for what its worth, some of those elements do indeed feel a bit random at times, while other elements reappear a lot throughout the universe, giving players the impression that there isnt a lot of diversity to the generation. An example would be how people expected to find life forms, follow them, learn how they live, interact with the rest of the planet etc. and are now disappointed that this does not happen in an elaborate way. The game's procedural generation decides on basic properties of animals and allows for different variations of certain animals to appear in the same region. On the last snowy planet I visited almost all animals had something that seemed like thicker/rugged skin with muted brown colors, while the last poisonous planet had more animals with spores and patchy cameo patterns, being also generally more colourful. Similarly, the animals did get more outlandish the further I moved to the center of the galaxy, including sixlegged creatures, bouncing and bopping ball creatures and more. It is super exciting to see what kind of designs the game puts out on the more interesting planets, especially when you encounter life forms that just make you go stop in your tracks and ponder your approach. I went around a corner on a certain planet, met a dinostyle alien once that was about 2 times my height and attacked everything in sight...and quickly ran away as fast as I could. There are 2 problems that the perception of the game has been influence by:
1. The procedural generation is relatively superficial
The design of animals tries to incorporate certain variables, but it would of course be great if this went further, like Animals who interact differently with their environment (animals finding shelter at night, animals digging holes etc), because at the moment, most of the animals have the same behavioral patterns. This leads to disappointment for people who expected to go really deep into this mechanic. Similarly, building and ruin types are fairly similar throughout every planet and its a bit of a wasted opportunity that those do not undergo as many changes as the rest of the generation does. I think this also hurts the overall perception a bit, as those ARE elements that repeat very often throughout the game, while others actually do have more variation to it if you look longer. This is fair criticism and certainly something I would wish to see expanded upon.
2. The perceived procedural generation is not varied enough
And now we get to a repeating element for most of the common criticism of the game. There is a lot of variety to all generated aspects of the game, but the game doesnt give them to you for free. In 35 hours, I saw plenty of considerably different life forms, planet styles, rock formations and what have you on a variety of planets. But not every planet has those. It might be too easy for some players to dismiss the game based on a singular element of the game, and downplay the game's achievements because you saw similar type of plants on 3 planets in a row, while missing that the game offered other neat aspects to look out for, be that the different ships, space stations or color variations. Sean stated that 10% of the planets have a good amount of life, while only 1% are outright paradises. In my 35 hours, I encountered 2 planets where I loved every step, every view, every corner, every planet, the overall look, the feel and everything I found. To be perfectly clear, I also found interesting stuff on other planets, and on those its easy to land on a planet, not see anything and leave disappointed. Usually those "normal" planets also have interesting environmental stuff or huge resource deposits hidden, but you will need to look for it. This seems to be one of the most negative criticisms directed at the game, but I absolutely love the pacing it has. After 35 hours, I still feel like every planet could be special and many planets still show me something that I can openly admire. If the game had perfect planets all the way, it would lose a lot of its impact, the feeling of being lost in space, the wonders of small worlds would stop being wonders.
Sure, there are players who want to have more spectacle, every planet to be amazing with gorgeous sights everywhere. This is not that kind of game. It is deliberately paced to give you a journey, an experience of heights and stretches of lows where you wander from empty rocket planets to the next. Speaking of those: Even on those I find myself marvelling at certain elements at times. The last rocky planet was covered in a bright pink sky, tinting the whole world pink, which looked a bit surreal. And then on a lonely nested pink rock formation, I found a single glowing ball that shone as bright as the sun.

Combat:
The combat is relatively basic, being divided into land and spaceship combat. The space combat more or less works as expected, while the land fight often feels more like using a tool on another bit of resource that just happens to fight back. There are some variations on this down the line, when you find different attack effects, so that more experimentation opens up. Same with the point above, this will take several hours to come into effect and you wont find new attack variations around every corner. However, the multitool itself does have quite a lot of things going for it, with upgrades to scanners, different excavation methods and upgrades to power and speed.
The space combat mostly progresses through upgrades, which strengthen aiming capabilities, strength, armor and such. While your combat possibilities dont change a lot, the way you approach encounters definitely does. In the beginning, you will avoid almost all fights. You can tinker around with your ship improvements and then start moving up the danger grades, while the last fight I participated in was a huge battle with 17 pirate ships attacking 2 huge space freighters. Shots, beams and enemies everywhere. I managed to kill 12 pirates, then accidentally shot the cargo of the freighter and got gunned down by freighter beam turrets. :D That stuff took me 30 hours to get in. Depending on your style of play you might do that earlier, or never.

Story:
There is an overarching story, but it seems like that is more kicking in later on. You get some backstory on the races, but its all pretty vague so far. I have seen bits and pieces and there is actually a surprising amount of roguelike style events happening with nice descriptions and interesting choices. I actually love how this is tied in with the language elements, where you can find thousands of words, that will help you understand those choices and requests, emulating a slow learning progress to learning the languages of the universe. After 35 hours I havent seen any duplicate texts yet, while you can find those events everywhere. As for the slow burning of the story: I did not expect any actual story here, so anything is an added bonus, but I think considering the procedural nature, the story bits that are there are doing a nice job colouring the universe.

Inventory System:
I am a huge fan of fun inventory management, while others want to keep inventory management as low key as possible to spend more time in the "real" parts of the game. The inventory is a bit of an unappreciated star glueing many other gameplay elements together. It is basically a puzzle that requires you to manage the formation of your suit, tool and ship upgrades in the most effective way (upgrades from the same category boosting each other), while also giving you a lot of different options to tinker with on the whole. After 35 hours, there is PLENTY of things I can work on and improve across the different inventories, while not nearly having enough resources to take care of everything. One of my best experiences so far, was finding a super great warp upgrade in a crashed ship. I decided to ditch my old ship and then was busy for 2-3 hours just to get my ship back in shape and improve the upgrade setup to where I wanted it to be. This was immensely satisfying because the game offered me a huge reward for the work I put in.

I love this game. I love the pacing, I love the look, I love the environments, I love the inventory. There are valid criticisms for sure, but if you love games that focus on exploration and "experiences", you should give this a try too without going in with too many deep expectations. In my opinion it is a successful try at improving a new approach to gamedesign. If we look at other "procedural" games that came before it, none is even in the same stratosphere compared to what Hello Games achieved here. The incredible ambition is also a bit of a stumbling block, leading to a lot of disappointed players who were blinded by marketing material. This game is not for everyone and despite the look and marketing its not an super huge filled-to-the-brim action adventure, but if you like deliberate and slow paced exploration and you are able to appreciate also the small wonders of life (and games), this game will likely be a GOTY contender for you too. Its basically an incredibly polished and experimental version of the experiential games that we are championing in the Indie Game threads for years now mixed with a healthy dose of survivalcrafting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Added some screenshots from the past 7 hours of playing or so to my impressions.

Toma

Holy ****, you had a mix of a dimetrodon and a hippopotame!

...and a zebra :D

But yeah, that is basically the emotion I have when playing the game.

Alright, NMS impressions. Some things out of the way:
1. I love the game, personal GOTY material for me
2. It does have issues and there is fair criticism to be talked about, but a lot of the common criticism is kinda meaningless for the group of players this game has been made for
3. Its easy to see how the game is super divisive, so depending on what games you like, its actually rather easy to see if you might like it or not.
4. I played around 35 hours, saw 30 solar systems and 30 planets
5. There are multiple threads about the issues with the communication/PR, so I wont go into this here and focus on what the game actually is.

[...]

I love this game. I love the pacing, I love the look, I love the environments, I love the inventory. There are valid criticisms for sure, but if you love games that focus on exploration and "experiences", you should give this a try too without going in with too many deep expectations. In my opinion it is a successful try at improving a new approach to gamedesign. If we look at other "procedural" games that came before it, none is even in the same stratosphere compared to what Hello Games achieved here. The incredible ambition is also a bit of a stumbling block, leading to a lot of disappointed players who were blinded by marketing material. This game is not for everyone and despite the look and marketing its not an super huge filled-to-the-brim action adventure, but if you like deliberate and slow paced exploration and you are able to appreciate also the small wonders of life (and games), this game will likely be a GOTY contender for you too. Its basically an incredibly polished and experimental version of the experiential games that we are championing in the Indie Game threads for years now mixed with a healthy dose of survivalcrafting.
Great write-up. Appreciate it. Ticking all the right boxes for me.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but can anyone recommend any good indie games that are like Shovel Knight and Castle in the Darkness? Basically side scrolling platforming pseudo-RPGs that have the coin collecting and upgrade mechanic seen in games like Wonderboy in Monster World. I asked this before and More_Badass came back to me with a decent list of games but I can't find his post. My Google-fu is failing me. I do remember one recommendation: Elliot's Quest.

Can anyone help? Your assistance would be appreciated!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but can anyone recommend any good indie games that are like Shovel Knight and Castle in the Darkness? Basically side scrolling platforming pseudo-RPGs that have the coin collecting and upgrade mechanic seen in games like Wonderboy in Monster World. I asked this before and More_Badass came back to me with a decent list of games but I can't find his post. My Google-fu is failing me. I do remember one recommendation: Elliot's Quest.

Can anyone help? Your assistance would be appreciated!
My Google-fu is still on point :p

Very impressive that Rimworld is still in the Top Sellers. Between No Man's Sky and Deus Ex right now

Almost 200,000 owners according to Steamspy. And given that the game hasn't been sold for less than $30, that's almost $6 million in revenue

Toma

Very impressive that Rimworld is still in the Top Sellers. Between No Man's Sky and Deus Ex right now

Almost 200,000 owners according to Steamspy. And given that the game hasn't been sold for less than $30, that's almost $6 million in revenue

Very nice to read that sales are still going strong after that controversy.

Toma

Sorry to all who planned to pick up NMS on PC. Guess it will actually be the PS4 exclusive people perceived it to be going by the performance threads and steam ratings.

Wonder how long it will take them to improve that, seems to be rather significant problems.

Sorry to all who planned to pick up NMS on PC. Guess it will actually be the PS4 exclusive people perceived it to be going by the performance threads and steam ratings.

Wonder how long it will take them to improve that, seems to be rather significant problems.
Yeah, I started the game three times, went through a black screen of names where the galaxy should be, and then crashed. Partially my own fault due to my laptop specs, but I can run Elite Dangerous fine...

But I refunded and will be getting it on PS4 instead. The main reason I got it on PC in the first place was so I could check the game out while away on vacation, so I'm a bit annoyed that was for naught

I'll have one hell of a line-up to play when I get home though. No Man's Sky, Abzu, and Bound

Welp, looks like I'll be giving NMS a miss then. Shame, but looks like Hello Games really bit off more than they could chew.

Toma

Welp, looks like I'll be giving NMS a miss then. Shame, but looks like Hello Games really bit off more than they could chew.

Yeah, especially when the PC performance is so much worse than PS4, it just seems like they tried to get PC out on time "just because" instead of giving it the staggered launch they would have needed for it. I wouldnt be surprised if the latest 2 month delay was for similar issues and they couldnt get everything done and tried to avoid having another 6 month delay.

Wok

The backlash is totally undeserved. The problem is you have to deactivate vsync and deactivate the max limit of framerate in the settings. Then you are good to go with a smooth game.

This is what I wrote in the performance thread:
For what it is worth, I have a G2020 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and 1 GB VRAM AMD Radeon HD 7770 (with latest drivers). The game runs like a charm (no stuttering, no pop-in, very rare framerate drops) with these settings:

In-game settings:
Window Mode: Borderless
Monitor: Primary
Resolution: 1920x1080
V-Sync: Off
Anti Aliasing: SSSA x 4
FoV (both): 90
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
Texture Detail: High
Shadow Detail: Medium
Generation Detail: High
Reflection Quality: Low
Max FPS: Max

Tips, Tricks & Tweaks:

• - To make changes to Graphics Options you have to hold down the mouse button to confirm. *
  • - For Stuttering, make sure to disable V-Sync and remove the 30FPS Cap.
  • - Force Anisotropic Filtering to x16 into your graphics control panel
  • - Set the game to Borderless Window (might help with alt+tab issues)

Yeah, especially when the PC performance is so much worse than PS4, it just seems like they tried to get PC out on time "just because" instead of giving it the staggered launch they would have needed for it. I wouldnt be surprised if the latest 2 month delay was for similar issues and they couldnt get everything done and tried to avoid having another 6 month delay.

Exactly. I have a bunch of other games ready to play and playing russian roulette with $60 doesn't seem like a good idea at the time.

I really do hope they get everything sorted out eventually, but at the moment I'm just going to push it out of my mind.

Most eagerly awaited:
_Rain world
_Night in the woods
Excited:
_Pixel Noir
_Savage: the shard of gosen
So late I don't even know what to think:
Octopus city blues

Toma

The backlash is totally undeserved. The problem is you have to deactivate vsync and deactivate the max limit of framerate in the settings. Then you are good to go with a smooth game.

This is what I wrote in the performance thread:

First impressions?

From a pair of devs who worked on Journey and Abzu respectively

Kingdoms and Castles - PC, Mac, Linux
seasons.gif

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52505.0

A Medieval City Builder
Construct castles to protect your peasants from a living and dangerous world. Dramatic stories will play out in your kingdom based on decisions you’ve made. Do the viking raiders make off with your villagers? Or are they stopped, full of arrows, at the castle gates?

Observer Effect - Free (PC)
1mKD8d.png

https://teamporpoise.itch.io/edge

OBSERVER EFFECT is a cryptic, minimalistic episodic first person exploration game.
You make your way down that old familiar hallway and step into that old familiar elevator. But something is off. Instead of the elevator taking you down to the parking garage, you step out inside a castle torn from its earthly roots.
Now you make your way through these worlds, each stranger than the last, unstuck in time and space.

Nongon - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
y2ITBs.png

https://indiegage.itch.io/nongon

In Nongon you will explore a procedurally generated, abstract, low-poly world, searching for the 4 nongons to return to altars in the Cathedral. Jump, climb, and wallrun to traverse the environment and collect the nongons.

SHE - Free (PC)
tumblr_obltahqKKn1upp723o2_540.gif

https://grouflon.itch.io/she

Simultaneously guide an increasing amount of balls out of an ever growing hexagonal maze

Wok

First impressions?

I have played for 2 hours straight, without even noticing, and I liked it. I will definitely play more as soon as the annual Dota2 tournament is over. I am glad you wrote your impressions, it definitely won me over.

Wozman23

Remember Hunger? Game got renamed and has a publisher now

Little Nightmares

Awesome! I didn't even pay any mind to the original press (mainly since Bandai Namco very rarely publishes stuff I'm interested in). But from the initial trailer, I was sold on Hunger. I assumed Sony was publishing. With the lack of information, I was beginning to think we had another Rime situation going on.

Top Bottom