• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Random question for... IndieGAF? Whatever this community is called. What games have you backed on Kickstarter?
In vague order of backing:

None of these have been released, but I have had at several of the alphas for Freedom Planet. It's very swell. We're kind of overdue for another Alpha, but Strife's been struggling with the following stage; it's apparently a very story-loaded stage, and he's concerned that it's impacting the conveyance for the boss fight (that is, while Lilac players will have faced the boss in a prior stage and know what to do, Carol and Milla players would be left high-and-dry). That said, he's done a good chunk of work on the stage afterward, and even teased the background for a stage after that, so I dunno what this next alpha's gonna contain.

As an aside, Strife had mentioned signing up for a GAF account, around when this thread came about... I dunno what's come of that.

Gazoinks

Looking at the first post again reminded me of how hyped I am for Incognita. Like, I can't even... Klei tapped into my brain and made a game just for me. Probably not going to buy into the alpha/beta though, because for Don't Starve I kinda got burned out before release and I don't want that to happen again.

Moobabe

Two of my friends have become obsessed with NEO Scavenger. I've tweeted it on to Shahid to see if we can't get a sweet ass Vita version.

Manik

Kinda sad if even a gaf regular hasn't seen this thread yet. Welcome Manik. :)

I know! Imagine all the other people missing out on these gems. I'll do my utmost to spread the word.

As for my current time indie indulgences, I've just recently finished Gone Home (iiinteresting) and moving onto The Stanley Parable next. Then Gunpoint or Spelunky to round out the month.

Looking at the first post again reminded me of how hyped I am for Incognita. Like, I can't even... Klei tapped into my brain and made a game just for me. Probably not going to buy into the alpha/beta though, because for Don't Starve I kinda got burned out before release and I don't want that to happen again.
I bought it early 1) because I love the genre and Klei hasn't disappointed but 2) mainly because you get the game at a discount and get an extra copy to trade/sale

Gazoinks

I know! Imagine all the other people missing out on these gems. I'll do my utmost to spread the word.

As for my current time indie indulgences, I've just recently finished Gone Home (iiinteresting) and moving onto The Stanley Parable next. Then Gunpoint or Spelunky to round out the month.

I really need to get Gone Home. I'm a big fan of that sort of explorey storytelling game, but don't have the money at the moment. Gunpoint was a lot of fun, but reeeeeeeeeally short. Apparently Steam Workshop is coming though.

I bought it early 1) because I love the genre and Klei hasn't disappointed but 2) mainly because you get the game at a discount and get an extra copy to trade/sale

Yeah, it's entirely possible that if I end up being able to afford it in the near future I'll just grab it anyway, despite what I said. xD Klei are probably my favorite current favorite indie devs.

Twinduct

Random question for... IndieGAF? Whatever this community is called. What games have you backed on Kickstarter?

Rimworld
Chroma Squad
Void Destroyer
Massive Chalice
Stonehearth
Crayon Chronicles
Torment tides of numenera
War for the overworld
Barkley 2
Make LA Game Space
Maia
Sportsfriends
Project Eternity
Planetary Annihilation
Castle Story
Moon Intern
Rival Threads
Dead State
Zombie Playground
Republique
Carmageddon
Unemployment Quest
Legends of Eisenwald
Starlight Inception
Ravaged
Grim Dawn
Shadow Run
Wasteland 2
FTL
The banner Saga
Broken Age
Nekro
Star Citzen

Backed but target was missed:

Micromon
Realm Explorer (Was released, bought, regret)
Cross of the dutchman
Legend of the time star
Skyjackers (like four times, shit never gets funded :/)
Spinlanders
Retrovirus (Was released, bought on Steam)
Nexus 2

Bunch of stuff after their Indie gogo & Kickstarter campigns ended

I really need to get Gone Home. I'm a big fan of that sort of explorey storytelling game, but don't have the money at the moment. Gunpoint was a lot of fun, but reeeeeeeeeally short. Apparently Steam Workshop is coming though.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that if I end up being able to afford it in the near future I'll just grab it anyway, despite what I said. xD Klei are probably my favorite current favorite indie devs.
Short is relative. I've played for several hours and I've only done a handful of missions. That's because I love stealth games so I play every mission multiple times, trying different approaches, playing with new gadgets, just mess around with the Crosslink, try to complete missions without alerting/attacking enemies

Lamptramp

I feel pretty much the same for the same reasons. However I wasn't quite as strong and bought into it early.

I really hope to see Klei bring incognita to PSN too, I've been on a Don't Starve fast for an age to make the forthcoming PSN version feel more special.

Two of my friends have become obsessed with NEO Scavenger. I've tweeted it on to Shahid to see if we can't get a sweet ass Vita version.

That would be great fit I had a fun hour over lunch trying out NEO Scavenger.

Gazoinks

Short is relative. I've played for several hours and I've only done a handful of missions. That's because I love stealth games so I play every mission multiple times, trying different approaches, playing with new gadgets, just mess around with the Crosslink, try to complete missions without alerting/attacking enemies

Fair enough, and that's definitely true. Makes me wish the game had a few more levels set up in a more sandboxy way, as a bunch of them seemed like they required a specific order of switches and stuff to do.

Speaking of awesome stealth games, The Dark Mod standalone was released recently! Anyone been playing? I downloaded it but then completely forgot. >.> Gotta go back, I love Thief.

Twinduct

Still need to try this .... just so much stuff on my plate to clear right now.
Btw guys, buying a bigger plate doesn't work. It just makes you feel fatter and makes you hate yourself even more. A balanced normal plate is suggested. Some organic home grown veg with your triple A steak.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Am I... your friend?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Make sure to check out Factorio, Full Bore and NEO Scavenger!

Rimworld
Chroma Squad
Void Destroyer
Massive Chalice
Stonehearth
Crayon Chronicles
Torment tides of numenera
War for the overworld
Barkley 2
Make LA Game Space
Maia
Sportsfriends
Project Eternity
Planetary Annihilation
Castle Story
Moon Intern
Rival Threads
Dead State
Zombie Playground
Republique
Carmageddon
Unemployment Quest
Legends of Eisenwald
Starlight Inception
Ravaged
Grim Dawn
Shadow Run
Wasteland 2
FTL
The banner Saga
Broken Age
Nekro
Star Citzen

Backed but target was missed:

Micromon
Realm Explorer (Was released, bought, regret)
Cross of the dutchman
Legend of the time star
Skyjackers (like four times, shit never gets funded :/)
Spinlanders
Retrovirus (Was released, bought on Steam)
Nexus 2

Bunch of stuff after their Indie gogo & Kickstarter campigns ended

I salute you for helping so many Indies coming to life.

Am I... your friend?
What about me? ;(
Lol

Hey, Toma, would you say that you and I are the most active indie advocates/enthusiasts on GAF? Seeing your email in the NEO thread made me think about that and how much these threads and exposure helps these devs.

I think that's why I love working on my blog so much, because I know if even one person learns about one of these games, that helps an indie developer. It's more important than simply reviewing and recommending games

Toma

What about me? ;(
Lol

Hey, Toma, would you say that you and I are the most active indie advocates/enthusiasts on GAF? Seeing your email in the NEO thread made me think about that and how much these threads and exposure helps these devs.

I posted my answer to that two pages ago, but I cant blame you. The thread exploded today:

Lets just say I dont think its fitting to say that about oneself. I noticed quite a few people who are/were thankful for my (or your for that matter) activity on this forum and I definitely love that people appreciate my "work" on here (I mean, lets be honest. It does take a lot of time to create and maintain these community or game threads), but I would never put myself above any others, particularly in the context of this thread. Hofmann, Wok, OneFoulNote,Moobabe, you, Twinduct, Cheesecake and all the ones I couldnt name now are all a very important part of this thread, all of which coming together just makes these threads possible because of everyone putting in a lot of freetime to play games and discuss them with all of us. Pylon_Trooper and CzarTim arent as much in here as I'd love to, but they too have a fantastic taste and track record of recommendations that people love and appreciate on here. That plus the million Indie threads that people put up but eventually end up failing because of the general mentality to disregard certain threads/games just because no one is giving them any attention.

I am not "objecting" if people like my efforts, because it in turn helps me spreading the word about more Indies via my Indie-Cred/Toma seal of approval, but I would never put myself above any other member of this community. I know you didnt quite mean it that way and you are very enthusiastic about the success of your blog and the games you find (as you should be), but its similar to the IndieStatik thing a while ago. Credit where credit is due, and everything that happens on GAF wouldnt be possible without the guys keeping up these threads, filling them, talking to us and everyone else and of course also the ones that try to make threads about unknown Indies, even if these threads fail.

Which reminds me, if ANYONE posts a thread on gaf about an unknown indie, post it in these monthly indie threads as well! That ensures the game you went out of the way to talk about wont be immediately forgotten once the thread is swallowed by page 2. If you guys see a thread like that, feel free to remind the OP or to post it yourself in here. I try to avoid doing that myself to finally get people to understand they need to crosspost that stuff.

Also:
I think that's why I love working on my blog so much, because I know if even one person learns about one of these games, that helps an indie developer. It's more important than simply reviewing and recommending games
Its definitely that for me for both games and music (see my music blog). The bands we usually feature on my music blog would be ... THRILLED to have this amount of downloads that even the most unknown Indie game devs we feature in this thread have. Its really even another step further in terms of unknown-barrier these musicians have to fight about.

Twinduct

I salute you for helping so many Indies coming to life.

Ha! You sometimes forget just how far something has gone until you write it all down. I've actually stopped doing so many 'instant' backings for the last few months. Mainly because I've gotten some alpha/ beta fatigue setting in.

At this stage I live with the rule of (last week; not funded yet) for the ones I want to back. Although with the exception to anything survival/ space/ sci-fi related :p

Strangely the kickstarter page doesn't show up none tiered donations. For quite a few projects I would have to decrease my donation and untier myself due to having to pay rent etc.

I posted my answer to that two pages ago, but I cant blame you. The thread exploded today:

Also:

Its definitely that for me for both games and music (see my music blog). The bands we usually feature on my music blog would be ... THRILLED to have this amount of downloads that even the most unknown Indie game devs we feature in this thread have. Its really even another step further in terms of unknown-barrier these musicians have to fight about.
Well since my time on GAF, I've considered you the "face" of IndieGAF (that's a good collective name!), since these are your threads. I stumbled upon them in August just to ask about specs and stuff but you've been advocating and promoting indies here long before I was active on GAF.

Ha! You sometimes forget just how far something has gone until you write it all down. I've actually stopped doing so many 'instant' backings for the last few months. Mainly because I've gotten some alpha/ beta fatigue setting in.

At this stage I live with the rule of (last week; not funded yet) for the ones I want to back. Although with the exception to anything survival/ space/ sci-fi related :p

Strangely the kickstarter page doesn't show up none tiered donations. For quite a few projects I would have to decrease my donation and untier myself due to having to pay rent etc.
Did you back Rimworld? Seems right up your alley
Edit: nvm

Toma

Well since my time on GAF, I've considered you the "face" of IndieGAF (that's a good collective name!), since these are your threads. I stumbled upon them in August just to ask about specs and stuff but you've been advocating and promoting indies here long before I was active on GAF.

Yeah, I sort of did since this thread (the thread was probably only sort of decently successful because I threw out game keys like candy. I think I ended up gifting CivCity 30 times for that thread):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417484

So 2 and a half years now now championing unknown games, but still, especially if we are talking about "IndieGAF", I just wouldnt "call" myself the most active enthusiast. It just doesnt sit right with me considering all these threads would be nothing without the community. As I said, its nice to hear from others that the work I do is valued, but it doesnt seem nice to put yourself above any of the others here when someone says that about himself. Thats why this community rocks as a collective ;)

Twinduct

Yeah, I sort of did since this thread (the thread was probably only sort of decently successful because I threw out game keys like candy. I think I ended up gifting CivCity 30 times for that thread):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417484

So 2 and a half years now now championing unknown games, but still, especially if we are talking about "IndieGAF", I just wouldnt "call" myself the most active enthusiast. It just doesnt sit right with me considering all these threads would be nothing without the community. As I said, its nice to hear from others that the work I do is valued, but it doesnt seem nice to put yourself above any of the others here when someone says that about himself. Thats why this community rocks as a collective ;)

My first exposure to you was in the Gnomoria thread :p
Also I needed that thread like lastweek! Been listening to this Rome Podcast that basically goes from the start to the fall (192 episodes yo) and wanted to play me some city builder. Luckily I didn't miss any I guess!

Did you back Rimworld? Seems right up your alley
Edit: nvm

Was about to say :p
Strangely enough I saw the info posted on RPS and backed it within seconds. Wanted to make a thread about it (or at least a post in here). Got discouraged halfway through, no idea why but I have constant fear of second guessing anything I write.

The amount of replies I've written only to end up deleting the text would fill a book! Strangely I think the constant backing down has made me extremely insecure when posting.

I know it's silly and I shouldn't care about stuff like that, but hey such is life.

Luckily I saw you made a thread about it a day later =)
So the initial intent I had still served its purpose with people learning about it!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hmm. I almost want to get together a thread of indie games for halloween, do a little write up for each and help give people some new spooks they might not have seen and played yet. Don't know how many are out there that are readily available, though I can think of a few that were available on gamejolt.

Hmm. I almost want to get together a thread of indie games for halloween, do a little write up for each and help give people some new spooks they might not have seen and played yet. Don't know how many are out there that are readily available, though I can think of a few that were available on gamejolt.
Well Indiestatik's been featuring a free indie horror game every day so you'd have at least 21 games for that list.

I love horror movies but horror games are another story. It's one thing to be watch a movie, it's another to be immersed in that world at night with the lights off and headphones. I still have barely progressed in Amnesia

You know, that Summer Sale/Overlooked thread still remains one of the most useful indie resources on GAF. I still recommend it when people are asking for good indies because it lists practically every worthwhile indie on Steam (up into August at least)

maty

I was not sure where to post so I might as well do it here.

Escape Goat might not be exactly new, it was available on Desura and in a few bundles but was recently released on Steam, so after activating a key I decided to play it.
This game is awesome. The "Prison of Agnus" levels are not that difficult so it may take 2-3 hours to complete but that is when the game really starts.

After beating the game, "All Intensive Purposes" levels are unlocked. And man, these are hard and will test your skills and nerves. If people thought Super Meat Boy was hard then a new challenger has appeared.

So far I've beaten "Hinterlands" and I'm currently in room 9 of 9 in "Underground Compound"

I can get to the 2nd level but I always die at the 2nd jump

and room 9 of 9 in "Fire and Ice"

Screenshots don't even show half the stuff that is going on in the levels. This is going to take a while, lol.

Gazoinks

Well Indiestatik's been featuring a free indie horror game every day so you'd have at least 21 games for that list.

I love horror movies but horror games are another story. It's one thing to be watch a movie, it's another to be immersed in that world at night with the lights off and headphones. I still have barely progressed in Amnesia

I surprised myself by getting halfway through Amnesia because I am an enormous wimp. ENORMOUS.

maty

I know the feeling. Mainly because Intensive Purposes kicked my ass to the point that I could barely get back the first levels of those worlds. I love how even the world selection menu can kill you.

Totally, love it.

I'm getting addicted to this game. I was at 5 hours played after beating the main game and now I have 14 hours after only beating 2 levels (18 rooms) and almost finishing a 3rd one in Intensive Purposes. It may kick my ass but I'll get there.

Manik

I can play literally 15 minutes of Amnesia in a sitting before it totally spooks me out and I have to turn it off and play something else. There's no way I'll ever finish it, and that makes me kind of sad.

Manik

Make sure to check out Factorio, Full Bore and NEO Scavenger!

As it happens, I watched a let's play of NEO Scavenger last night, but turned it off after 10 minutes because I didn't want anything spoiling. It looks absolutely superb, though, so it's definitely on my radar.

Moobabe

Still need to try this .... just so much stuff on my plate to clear right now.
Btw guys, buying a bigger plate doesn't work. It just makes you feel fatter and makes you hate yourself even more. A balanced normal plate is suggested. Some organic home grown veg with your triple A steak.

This is sound life advice. I have SO MANY games now it's unreal. I have a couple of games on console to finish, a couple of handhelds, the ever present DOTA 2 addiction as well.. fml

Am I... your friend?

Oh god.. maybe we know each other better than we think!

My first exposure to both Toma and Pylon was in the Frozen Synapse thread - The Greatest of all Indies.

Toma

This is sound life advice. I have SO MANY games now it's unreal. I have a couple of games on console to finish, a couple of handhelds, the ever present DOTA 2 addiction as well.. fml

Oh god.. maybe we know each other better than we think!

My first exposure to both Toma and Pylon was in the Frozen Synapse thread - The Greatest of all Indies.

Greatest and worst memories. My epic FS contest fail comes to mind.

Toma

Hypothetically speaking, of course...

I think my NDA doesnt include talking about the game and only not sharing any game media and I feel... still conflicted giving my opinion on it.

I think my NDA doesnt include talking about the game and only not sharing any game media and I feel... still conflicted giving my opinion on it.

Nod if you feel its as good as FS. Nod twice if you think it's better. Nod once, then once more, if you think it's not as good.

Toma

Nod if you feel its as good as FS. Nod twice if you think it's better. Nod once, then once more, if you think it's not as good.

*nods once*

*nods another time with a lowered head*

Twinduct

280__charliebrown.gif

Top Bottom