• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Moobabe

280__charliebrown.gif

Toma just ruined my day too man :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma just ruined my day too man :(

Lets just say its quick fun, but you shouldnt expect another Frozen Synapse even if it uses the same turn based architecture.

Manik

Are there any decent co-op, single screen indies that have come out fairly recently? My fiancee and I love to sit down on a lazy Sunday and play a couple of hours together, but we've just finished Lego LoTR (admittedly not indie, but all the same) so now we're at a loss for something to start.

I'll play anything, but she's slightly more selective - Magicka was our previous go-to game, which she enjoyed, but didn't much like Trine, which we had to abandon. I'm looking forward to Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, but need something in the meantime. Any advice?

Are there any decent co-op, single screen indies that have come out fairly recently? My fiancee and I love to sit down on a lazy Sunday and play a couple of hours together, but we've just finished Lego LoTR (admittedly not indie, but all the same) so now we're at a loss for something to start.

I'll play anything, but she's slightly more selective - Magicka was our previous go-to game, which she enjoyed, but didn't much like Trine, which we had to abandon. I'm looking forward to Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, but need something in the meantime. Any advice?

Not sure if she would be into a gory zombie game, but How to Survive is coming out tomorrow and it looks promising.

I'll have some impressions up tomorrow.

*edit* Oh and Monaco is today's daily deal on Steam. Well yesterday's daily deal, but you have quite a bit of time to check it out.

Broforce is just a wild over-the-top kill-em-all homage to 80's and 90's action movies
Legend of Dungeon is a roguelike
Assault Android Cactus is a bullet hell dual stick shooter

Twinduct

Broforce is awesome! But might be biased as it's a game from Devs in South Africa!

Reminder:
5656070.jpg

Space Engineers is coming to steam early access tomorrow
Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.

Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

If anyone's interested in reading, here's part 1 of the NEO Scavenger Chronicles
Part 1

It's the first part of my journey, waking up to leaving the facility. Hope you enjoy and tell me what you think

Manik

Cheers for the suggestions guys. One of those (at least) is sure to stick. Guess I know which games I'll be researching tonight!

Sir, You are Being Hunted is on sale for 50% off ($9.99).

Yes, it's worth it.

Some screenshots of the game from CheesecakeRecipe:

The new Sir, You Are Being Hunted biome + halloween update is a lot of fun so far.

6270CF622A31F2F8FA76F982326C961F04D702FF

The industrial biome finally brings the game full-circle. Comparisons between SYABH and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have come to life in the usual tongue-in-cheek manner. It's bleaker than the other biomes, at night the air has a chilling green tint characteristic of the smog generated by the still-operating machinery. Piles of junk, abandoned cranes and other various urban production vessels dot the English countryside. Naturally, the Biome operates very much in the same way as others - find the parts of the shattered stone - but some new evils lurk that present additional challenge...

6B91354DEDEA7945CFD421323E4A55C4B527B4B9

3AE1F5E430EDC67589002D0B20D46E1CEA419726

Do be careful, sir.

rybrad

If you dont plan on posting it every 10 posts, sure go ahead.
Have you thought about putting together guidelines for self-promotion in the future? Occasionally it gets a little out of hand and it can be a bit grating.

Anyway, in on-topic news, Delver got a pretty substantial update yesterday with the biggest change being the art style. Screenshots don't really do justice to how much better it makes the game and world feel. Besides the massive art overhaul, the dev added some new sounds (helps with the "feel" like the art), an outdoor starting area (!) and more importantly, new gameplay mechanics in the form of an all new leveling and stats system. The new gameplay mechanics are fairly raw right now but you can see the potential for being able to build characters out how you prefer instead of depending completely on random gear drops. Random drops will always be an important part of the game but now you can at least nudge your character the direction you want.

I picked up the game as a trade for my second copy of Incognita since I couldn't sell it and have been pretty tepid on my interest in it after a few play sessions. After the past couple of updates, I have become thoroughly impressed with the dev sticking to his word and the game is starting to become one of the best examples of how early access can really help a game. The art overhaul, for instance, is because the dev used early access funding to hire a pixel artist to beef everything up. When I initially looked at the road map for the game, I was skeptical but now it certainly looks possible.

Long story short, I would now recommend this as a game to keep your eye on if you like roguelike-likes. I will try to report back on any other big updates in the future but suffice it to say, I am excited about the future of this game.

Art comparison (full gallery, not my images, will try to add mine later):

Gazoinks

Review code.

Oh review codes. Heh, so you know Kentucky Route Zero? A while ago I had recently got hired for a gaming site called Rant Gaming, and I figured I might as well try to get a review code for this game. So I get the code from Cardboard Computer, and immediately afterwards Rant Gaming SHUTS DOWN. So I'm left with a review code for a review on a site that no longer exits, which hired me a week before it exploded. Thankfully the guys at Cardboard Computer were cool, and I put a review up on my blog instead.

OnPoint

You guys see Confederate Express yet?

Kickstarter

DllhnRf.png

Confederate Express is all about exploration, fighting enemies, and making your way towards the main goal: trying to survive while delivering a package. Packages vary by size, weight and fragility; which makes every delivery a unique experience, ranging from a quick 15-minute tasks, all the way to a challenging journey throughout various events and locations. The more difficult the delivery, the greater the rewards: mercenaries, gear, weapons and ultimately - greater challenges.

Check out their new pixel lighting system. Whoa.

That awesome pixel style...
Gameplay looks awesome. I'd back if I could.... Ugh, now to decide whether to continue backing SCALE or switch to Con.Express...

Manik

Are you tied to PC or do you have consoles?

Got a 360 and PS3, so am eager for suggestions for either of those as well, especially seeing as how the consoles occupy a spot in front of the sofa (ideal for co op)and my PC, sadly, does not.

So I'd really love suggestions for any of the 3!

OnPoint

Got a 360 and PS3, so am eager for suggestions for either of those as well, especially seeing as how the consoles occupy a spot in front of the sofa (ideal for co op)and my PC, sadly, does not.

So I'd really love suggestions for any of the 3!

Protect Me Knight is awesome on XBLIG, and though it is really short, it's great co-op action. Treasure Treasure Fortress Forage Extra Edition is great also. As for the PS3, Ibb & Obb isn't bad for a co-op platformer. I'll try to think of more.

Okay, some early How To Survive impressions (40 minutes in)

- so far the game is relatively linear. And I'm guessing you move to different hub maps as the game progresses because the current map isn't that big. However there is a slight Metroidvania element in that you earn new equipment that allows you to access new areas. For example, getting the Machete allows you to hack through bushes and open up blocked pathes

- There are elements so far that suggest that gameplay will become more open, such a different campfires across the map and the fact that some weapons are silent

- You can choose between Normal and Iron Man mode. I've only played Normal so far. Also you can choose between three different characters: the jack of all trades who's has better precision, one with a lot of stamina but is weak, and one with a lot of health and strength but poor stamina.

- Controls are definitely skewed towards a gamepad, but it controls just fine with a KB/M. Right button to aim, left to attack, hold left for a critical attack. Regular attacks can send enemies reeling and open them up for an instant kill finisher. That part reminds me of State of Decay, in that you have some cool moves for each weapon. Well at least the two weapons I've used so far. Enemies sometimes drop supplies when they die

- You can attack and shoot without aiming, but with decreased accuracy. Bow and arrow is pretty satisfying and you can collect your arrows

- Nice gore effects with weapons. The machete can lop off limbs and heads, while the stick just spatters their skulls.

- Graphics are nice, a bit laggy for me but functional. Nice details like the tide rolling in and out, the shifting shadows/daylight changing as it turns to night, birds flying off when you approach. Your character controls and animates pretty well, haven't noticed anything horrible. Atmosphere is good, especially at night with your flashlight and a flickering campfire

- More powerful enemies come out at night, but can be kept at bay with your flashlight or a campfire

- Skill tree has a variety of skills to unlock such as incendiary and explosive arrows and the ability to make stats boosters

- Most annoying thing so far are the Kovac Survival Guides. Luckily they're optional, unfortunately they deliver important information like how to craft stuff and combat tips. It's like the game has a nice atmosphere, tides crashing on the beach, pretty cool, and then you select one of the books and some tonally-whiplash music starts playing and the narrator has a horribly bad Russian accent. But like I said, they're optional

- Most zombies I've seen so far is maybe 15-20. It's easy to get surrounded and it's hard to find health (which is good thing IMO). When you're low on health, your character is reduced to a slow limp.

- So overall it's pretty good so far. Nothing horrible yet, but nothing amazing either. I'd say a gamepad is preferred.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I posted something over in the Gnomoria OT, but no one reads that anyway, while its actually a rather .. interesting discussion.

There is a discussion on the official forums going on , which seems to be a rather... fair assessment of the issue with the game. Its been a very long time since the last significant update, and he fails to add new game concepts to add complexity to the current game. No clue why, but its rather apparent that the game is not moving at the pace I was expecting in the beginning. His updates were "content + bugs! content + bugs! ... content! bugs! content! bugs! ... bugs! bugs! bugs! bugs!"

I understand he couldnt keep going with his initial patching plan once the game got a bit more complex, but I am concerned enough to ... retract my "fan" badge and stop posting these patch logs. The game seemed to be going well to deliver a promise, and its currently not progressing at all for months now. I understand these things take time, but I dont see any reason to trust in him adding some more systems to the game atm. Sad, sad.

Its really... hm. Today is a weird day with weird issues, but this seems like a lose/lose situation to me. Is it right for us to complain about missing content in a game that the dev wants to keep full control over? If he just stopped patching it, then it would be his decision and he supported it for over a year now. People are entitled and WILL be mad if "free" updates stop coming, but then again, if he never fulfilled on the promise of what the game should eventually become.. thats still seems to be a reason to be a bit sour about it.

Toma

I got my money's worth and then some from Gnomeria. He can do as little / much as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

True, me definitely too, but I also was looking forward to what the game was eventually supposed to become. I mean I never considered it a Dwarf Fortress replacement, but still, arent you buying into what the dev says he is making with the game? Especially with these early access purchases?

You are right though, I usually consider it a "I buy the game as it currently is"-affair and I usually take the stance of not complaining if it doesnt improve much from that. And he did support the game for 1 and a half year now almost. Maybe I am just a bit sad at letting a game go I was looking at for over a year now looking forward to improvement and now having this realization sink in that further "big" improvements might not come.

rybrad

Looks like Dungeon Dashers will be up for Early Access on Steam this Friday. It is a fun little game and I would recommend giving it a look if you like turn-based dungeon crawlers. It is going to have co-op too which will be great since these types of games rarely do.
I posted something over in the Gnomoria OT, but no one reads that anyway, while its actually a rather .. interesting discussion.

Its really... hm. Today is a weird day with weird issues, but this seems like a lose/lose situation to me. Is it right for us to complain about missing content in a game that the dev wants to keep full control over? If he just stopped patching it, then it would be his decision and he supported it for over a year now. People are entitled and WILL be mad if "free" updates stop coming, but then again, if he never fulfilled on the promise of what the game should eventually become.. thats still seems to be a reason to be a bit sour about it.
My thoughts on this are that the devs taking advantage of alternative funding should always deliver on what they promised. People are helping fund the game based on the potential/promises and if he accepts money for the product then he needs to take that agreement seriously. I don't see this becoming any less of an issue, especially with crowdfunding boom, but I hope devs seriously think about the realities of what they promise and how that affects the expectations of early adopters. I think a lot of it comes down to good communication and managing expectations correctly which has been a struggle for several games with this funding type.

Burt

Kickstarter

DllhnRf.png

That looks awesome. The upper tier rewards aren't great, but the game definitely looks worth backing at the $10 or $25 level. They seem to be pretty confident in getting onto Steam early, wonder how they're working that.

There's certainly an interesting discussion to be had in there. Both sides have merit. Has the developer made any comment on the issue? It would help a lot if he was transparent about development and the future.

Toma

There's certainly an interesting discussion to be had in there. Both sides have merit. Has the developer made any comment on the issue? It would help a lot if he was transparent about development and the future.

The reason that this discussion is coming up atm, is because the dev changed to a 2 week patching schedule instead of doing a patch every week, so he can focus on more involving and complex additions to the game. While its a bit premature on my side to "lose faith" over this since its the first patch after his change to a two week schedule, he IS working on this "full time" and managed to not add anything significant for months + the first update after his change to the 2 week schedule included mainly only new sounds for actions (a dwarf hitting, crafting etc) (which admittedly does sound a bit ridiculous if you consider it full time development on the game). And even IF he will finally get around to creating proper new content for it... this issue of developers "Promising" a game that they cant deliver is really, really tricky.

Take Spacebase for example (purely theoretically). Lets say they do 3-4 more content patches and then close shop. They lived up to the promise of "we are still adding more content", while also avoiding to mention which features will eventually get in. They are currently selling it on the premise of making it a deep and full game, but they didnt even SAY that they actually will. They might stop supporting the game in 2 months, said they added content and stopped because the sales werent satisfactory. I couldnt really blame them, yet it still seems a bit shady. This early access thing will really blow up our asses in the next few months/years once players become more and more sensitive to this issue (see the cube world PR disaster).

Manik

Protect Me Knight is awesome on XBLIG, and though it is really short, it's great co-op action. Treasure Treasure Fortress Forage Extra Edition is great also. As for the PS3, Ibb & Obb isn't bad for a co-op platformer. I'll try to think of more.

Oh, awesome, thanks! Another one to add to my list, and thank heavens for demos in the 360 too - will try it out tomorrow evening.

Moobabe

Broforce is awesome! But might be biased as it's a game from Devs in South Africa!

Reminder:
5656070.jpg

Space Engineers is coming to steam early access tomorrow

I go out for like 5 hours and you guys go out of control! This looks awesome.

Kickstarter

DllhnRf.png

As does this.

Also everyone should buy both Gone Home AND Sir, Your Are Being Hunted if they're on sale. Top games, both.

Toma

I go out for like 5 hours and you guys go out of control! This looks awesome.

As does this.

Also everyone should buy both Gone Home AND Sir, Your Are Being Hunted if they're on sale. Top games, both.

Guys, be careful about Space Engineers, I'd still very wary about it because it simply doesnt look "fun" albeit impressive.

CzarTim

Doorkickers Alpha 5 is out.

Features:
- You can now customize the inventory of each trooper.
- Random mission generator.
- “No Intel” play mode. For now an experiment, only available in the Random Mission Generator.
- Persistent trooper roster.
- The Corner Engagement issue is done! AI now correctly engages center of visible mass when engaging partially-covered enemies.
- In-cover status now visible on characters; also improved the cover system in general.
- Can now order troopers to switch between primary and secondary weapons.
- "Reload" and "Switch weapon" waypoints now block movement until they are completed.The On-Call actions are still performed on the move and left to player discretion.
- New ambiental music tracks and win/lose jingles.
- New maps.
- Many improvements/fixes on the firearms' shooting methods.
- Improved deploy screen usability: you can now replace troopers by droping them on top of each other, plus other improvements.
- Firearms are now fully moddable (can add more weapons at will).

Fixes:
- Many fixes to delays in the friendly AI's targeting.
- Can no longer rotate trooper while disarming bomb, placing a breaching charge or using the spy camera.
- Damage was sometimes incorrectly calculated, which resulted in a more randomness than design intended.
- Fixed game not starting on some Windows XP versions (normaliz.dll error).
- When playing in a resolution below 1366x768, the game no longer crashes and burns.
- Fixed OpenGL-related crash on older hardware.
- Fixed AI going through walls.
- Fixed Linux multi-monitor bug.
- Fixed resolution not changing after switching monitors or changing desktop resolution.
- No more impossible-to-kill enemies on the airplane level.

This disappoints me because I always wanted it to be Dwarf Fortress with (better) graphics. I absolutely love the concept of DF, but I have never been able to get into it, even with all of the tilesets and "ease of access" mods you can use to get started.

I've played Gnomoria more than any of my other early access games, so I guess I can't complain about not getting my money's worth, but I really, really want one of these devs to take the reigns and make a good alternative to Dwarf Fortress. I know you can't quickly match the depth and complexity of Dwarf Fortress, but I think a dedicated developer could make a good run at.

Here's to hoping Double Fine keeps up with Spacebase!

(Really though, at some point I'm just going to realize that buying Early Access is a lose-lose, at least for me)

Toma

So, your game will be free then?:p

Time Squid was at least, but yeah, if its not free, someone will likely pirate it. Thats just the way it is I guess.

OnPoint

So, your game will be free then? :p

It'll be a dollar. Fuck. People will still pirate it lol

BUT IT IS ALMOST DONE!

Time Squid was at least, but yeah, if its not free, someone will likely pirate it. Thats just the way it is I guess.

Haha yeah, good ol' Time Squid. I hope people at least enjoyed it.

The new one is with a different set of friends. We actually are fleshing out and finishing Shütshimi, our Ludum Dare entry. Can't wait to unleash it on y'all.

Top Bottom