• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

So we were talking about what we backed on KS earlier, but what makes you back? Beyond the usual "OMG it's my favorite genre" kind of pledges?

So far I've backed:

Hyper Lighter Drifter
- The pixel art and artistic design of the game and the lore of the world was what hooked me. I just wanted to explore and learn more about HLD's world

Rimworld
- I enjoyed Prison Architect, even those I can't stand any other management games. I have a love for gritty realistic sci fi and I live for emergent unscripted moments in games. The stories on the Rimworld forum and the fact that it has tactical combat sold me

Distance (well pre-ordered, but would have backed)
- It's the spiritual successor to my favorite freeware game ever, to the game that cemented my passion for indies, and seems to be taking everything Nitronic did up to 11

SCALE
- The wonderful art style, the intriguing story and quality voice acting, the originality of the scaling mechanic, the enthusiasm of the dev (check out those update videos), plus I had already been anticipating the game

Lamptramp

So we were talking about what we backed on KS earlier, but what makes you back? Beyond the usual "OMG it's my favorite genre" kind of pledges?

So far I've backed:

Hyper Lighter Drifter
- The pixel art and artistic design of the game and the lore of the world was what hooked me. I just wanted to explore and learn more about HLD's world

Rimworld
- I enjoyed Prison Architect, even those I can't stand any other management games. I have a love for gritty realistic sci fi and I live for emergent unscripted moments in games. The stories on the Rimworld forum and the fact that it has tactical combat sold me

- It's the spiritual successor to my favorite freeware game ever, to the game that cemented my passion for indies, and seems to be taking everything Nitronic did up to 11

SCALE
- The wonderful art style, the intriguing story and quality voice acting, the originality of the scaling mechanic, the enthusiasm of the dev (check out those update videos), plus I had already been anticipating the game

You're pretty much speaking for me too with regards to Hyper light drifter & Rimworld. Vita version helped too for the former.
Mostly though I've gone for RPG's or turn based as the boring "OMG favourite genre" answer though. Especially turn based, even if its not a game I must have (I prefer Sci-Fi to Fantasy) but theres a part of me that thinks that by backing such projects it shows that there is an audience to get more such games both "indie" and "AAA".

-Sir you are being hunted,

Was an instant pledge thanks to the "British Countryside generator" and its claims of mixing British Sci-Fi and Horror. Mix that with tweed and thats tickled just about every fancy I have, especially as a reader of "Chap Magazine". I'd be all over any game that harkens back to old school english Horror like Quatermass or The Stone Tape

Twinduct

So far I've backed:

Hyper Lighter Drifter

Rimworld

SCALE

Not going to go in detail with mine (Ain't got 4 hours to spare :p)
But with me it's a basic principle of filling in a void which I believe is lacking. Almost every project I back I can relate to something I liked which has not had a lot, if at all, representation in the last few years. Of Course I then scale it against the quality that's been shown, history of devs and etc.

I'll do a rundown later today by highlighting some of the backed projects and why I backed.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Thanks guys for allowing me to promote my Indie Channel / blog.

I'll try to make this post as descripted as possible and where acceptable repost one a month.

I am a Gamer with a Blog and Let's Play Channel (YouTube)

I am attempting to make a name for myself and currently only record Indie titles.

I speak directly to developers before I even consider recording content, I currently have agreements with Puppygames, Seaven Studios, Born Ready Game and bitSmith.

Happy to promote and review games on any platform if asked.

I currently driving to have content recorded and uploaded Tuesday's and Thursday's - But as with everything in Life have to juggle this with life's demands so can sometimes miss my own schedules.

my most recent game let's play was of Ethan: Meteor Hunter - Developed by Seaven Studios after I have finished playing games I will write up a review and get the Publishers own comments on how they feel I did, good or bad!

Here is that recent video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOUI5Oepyd8

My Blog consists of reviews of not only games but events too the most recent being Eurogamer Expo 2013

Here is my Blog = http://Noaksey.com

Please feel free to leave comments as I want to get better, and growth comes from dealing with shit!

love

Noaksey

Twinduct

Oh you. I do notice people who post in here tend not to get involved in that sort of thread.

Too busy rogueliking it up I imagine.

I'd like to think we just harbour more sense than the average weekend warrior :p
Then again I love reading the threads and watching the flow of public opinion being fought between those who have attached interests and those who just want to watch the world burn!

Moobabe

I'd like to think we just harbour more sense than the average weekend warrior :p
Then again I love reading the threads and watching the flow of public opinion being fought between those who have attached interests and those who just want to watch the world burn!

Truly a Chaotic Neutral if ever there was one.

Oftentimes I wonder how much the insiders on GAF know that they don't let on.

Twinduct

Truly a Chaotic Neutral if ever there was one.

Oftentimes I wonder how much the insiders on GAF know that they don't let on.

I Imagine enough to break the hearts of every 16yr old hopeful!
Stuff like the recent 'leak' and the quickness more could chime in than say just the inital leaker, makes it kinda scary.

I would love a CBOAT for indie games though!
'Pihll fush st ll wukrng on hat gema, viat escussive.'

Thanks guys for allowing me to promote my Indie Channel / blog.

I'll try to make this post as descripted as possible and where acceptable repost one a month.

I am a Gamer with a Blog and Let's Play Channel (YouTube)

I am attempting to make a name for myself and currently only record Indie titles.

I speak directly to developers before I even consider recording content, I currently have agreements with Puppygames, Seaven Studios, Born Ready Game and bitSmith.

Happy to promote and review games on any platform if asked.
Oi
I currently driving to have content recorded and uploaded Tuesday's and Thursday's - But as with everything in Life have to juggle this with life's demands so can sometimes miss my own schedules.

my most recent game let's play was of Ethan: Meteor Hunter - Developed by Seaven Studios after I have finished playing games I will write up a review and get the Publishers own comments on how they feel I did, good or bad!

Here is that recent video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOUI5Oepyd8

My Blog consists of reviews of not only games but events too the most recent being Eurogamer Expo 2013

Here is my Blog = http://Noaksey.com

Please feel free to leave comments as I want to get better, and growth comes from dealing with shit!

love

Noaksey

Cool I'll check it later.

Oh you. I do notice people who post in here tend not to get involved in that sort of thread.

Too busy rogueliking it up I imagine.
These threads are always a mess, I usually read the first pages then I give up.

Hofmann

Do you remember ICO inspired Toren from last year. They've just released a new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6VjOpTQyc#t=16.
image_09.jpg
GAF thread

Moobabe

I Imagine enough to break the hearts of every 16yr old hopeful!
Stuff like the recent 'leak' and the quickness more could chime in than say just the inital leaker, makes it kinda scary.

I would love a CBOAT for indie games though!
'Pihll fush st ll wukrng on hat gema, viat escussive.'

They're always waiting for that first person before they all jump on board.

And man I would love that! Cboat's posts always make me giddy

These threads are always a mess, I usually read the first pages then I give up.

You didn't miss much. A bit of hearsay from someone who was looking for someone to back him up, before people starting emerging from the woodwork doing just that.

Then some MS guy saying "Cod looks fucking awesome on XBone, wait for videos" but dodging the resolution question.

And then Cboat putting the boot in.

As a psych major, those threads are just fascinating. Another thing I'd love to study is the Steam Summer Sale. I'd love to do an experiment on what attracts people more: the actual price or the discount percentage.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
As a psych major, those threads are just fascinating. Another I'd love to study is the Steam Summer Sale. I'd love to do an experiment on what attracts people more: the actual price or the discount percentage.

I can already answer that for you: %

I can already answer that for you: %
Well the idea would be to have three groups:
A) where the greater discount would be more expensive than the lower discount (50%=$5, 25%=2.50)
B) the inverse of that
C) and some third control group

Very curious to see what would happen

Hey GAF,

I made a indie horror game for iOS with a buddy of mine.
It's called "The Occupant".
Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/AyOszLRcKdA

Hoping to make enough to support it and add content.
The creature design is really really awesome, but honestly another Slender-style game? Are there puzzles or weapons or anything like that?

Also do you have a Toucharcade thread yet? If not, I'll create one for The Occupant in a bit

Hofmann

Gone Home also is 50%off and just received a free update with dev commentary.

Great! You can buy it for €5 at the usual place - now that's the price I'm willing to pay, as the setting didn't really grab my heart and I'm cautious with games being praised so highly by almost everyone.

Lamptramp

Also everyone should buy both Gone Home AND Sir, Your Are Being Hunted if they're on sale. Top games, both.

Very quiet morning at work and I thought what the hell and grabbed "Gone Home" thanks for the recommendation all, really really enjoyed it superb little experience. Would love to see a lot more games manage such great atmosphere.

Theres a terrible little part of me that always feels the need to watch such threads, I can't help it, kinda like picking a scab. Of course I never feel the need to jump in ;)

Twinduct

Who ARE you?!

A lying frog :<
I admit it, I'm a collector. Although I stopped once I got that weird invite to the 1000 club!

Theres a terrible little part of me that always feels the need to watch such threads, I can't help it, kinda like picking a scab. Of course I never feel the need to jump in ;)

Same. Everything I see in there is .. wrong. Yet I'd stay awake until 2 am browsing the thread laughing at the disbelief flying around.

In Other news saw this at the steam thread!
Finally, my most anticipated game of 2013 has a storepage.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/
header.jpg

Also an update with a gameplay video. Video at their site, don't want to take away hits :p
Over the last few months I&#8217;ve gotten a lot of questions as to how the game is going to be distributed &#8211; and today I&#8217;ll make that announcement. Banished is going to be available for purchase on Steam and also available for purchase directly from Shining Rock Software.

I know everyone wants to hear a firm release date, but I&#8217;m not giving one out today. I should have a definite date to share soon. I&#8217;m no longer adding new content to the game. From here on out it&#8217;s all testing features, fixing bugs, and smoothing out the gameplay experience.
Source

Pretty excited!

Oh and Space Engineers is hours away! HOURS!

Twinduct

I cast you out, infernal creature! Thou not of this earth! All men and woman who enter these threads surely know of the Steam?

:p

Ah!
Btw we should do an IndieGAF Steam handle list!

What's the 1000 club?

Super exclusive club on Steam where you get invited to if you have a library above a 1000 items on steam! Gabe is a member!

It's a terrible group of people who pride themselves about their ability to waste money. No Joke though, I was invited to their group and they're constantly just looking for 'deals' on games they don't own and etc

Do you remember ICO inspired Toren from last year. They've just released a new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6VjOpTQyc#t=16.

GAF thread

Completely missed this post (just saw it beneath by Panda). Looks great! Music also seems great! (Sucker for epic scores though)

Noaksey

Neo Member
Ah!
Btw we should do an IndieGAF Steam handle list!

Great idea

Super exclusive club on Steam where you get invited to if you have a library above a 1000 items on steam! Gabe is a member!

It's a terrible group of people who pride themselves about their ability to waste money. No Joke though, I was invited to their group and they're constantly just looking for 'deals' on games they don't own and etc

I own games which amount close to that figure but I play the games.. I never waste money

Turk

The creature design is really really awesome, but honestly another Slender-style game? Are there puzzles or weapons or anything like that?

Also do you have a Toucharcade thread yet? If not, I'll create one for The Occupant in a bit

It's more of a simple physics scavenger hunt in a scary environment. No Toucharcade thread. Thank you for making one. :)

It's more of a simple physics scavenger hunt in a scary environment. No Toucharcade thread. Thank you for making one. :)
No problem. And really the creature is awesome in that perfect freaky way. It looks like the thin man from the end of Quarantine mixed with a Victorian plague doctor mask.

Moobabe

I love Krater. In some farcical, somewhat masturbatory hypothetical...If I ever made an ARPG, it'd be Krater.

A forgotten diamond in the rough. Shone like a nuke for me.

Your tweet actually made me reinstall it.

I have a friends list of like, 300 maybe? Only 3 people apart from me own it, and one never played it.

I'm also in for this IndieGAF Steam name swap. I need people playing things other than Dota 2 on my list otherwise I get tempted too easily.

Your tweet actually made me reinstall it.

I have a friends list of like, 300 maybe? Only 3 people apart from me own it, and one never played it.

It cannot be denied how unique the ambiance of Krater is. And in a sea of me-too ARPG games, it's a breath of fresh air, if a little irradiated. I think you summed it up back in the ye olde days as an cross-country MOBA, and even then, we weren't sure if that was the right description. However, the shoe was of similar size to the mutant foot, so it'll fit!

Twinduct

Also loved Krater. Bought into it when it was still early days though. Really need to get back into the game. I'm a damn sucker for an overworld.

Manik

I've got to admit it - I'm super tempted to buy into Sir, You Are Being Hunted whilst it's 50% off. My first ever Steam Greenlight. It'll only be downhill for my finances from here, I can feel it.

Moobabe

I've got to admit it - I'm super tempted to buy into Sir, You Are Being Hunted whilst it's 50% off. My first ever Steam Greenlight. It'll only be downhill for my finances from here, I can feel it.

Do it man!

Also loved Krater. Bought into it when it was still early days though. Really need to get back into the game. I'm a damn sucker for an overworld.

DO IT! It actually improved a lot since that initial release.

Twinduct

I love it so far. Sadly I'm a terrible player as I like to play the game differently. I just stalk the AI and throw them with bottles. Love the running animation of the robots and the sound they make when they find nothing.

Early access is a drug though!

DO IT! It actually improved a lot since that initial release.
I will! Gonna carve out sometime next week. Don't want to rush and ignore it again!

Path of Exile is being released in some hours today I played it during sometime in the beta and it's a fun game. During the beta the developers were releasing lots of updates and seemed to listen to the players feedback. The skill tree is huge and gives lots of options to create builds, of course there are going to be cookie cutter builds but it doesn't stop from you coming with your build. Other positive point is the oppressive atmosphere the game pass, everything in Wraeclast appears to exist solely to kill you and the stages gave me an unease feel especially Solaris Temple, it was disturbing.

I'm not into ARPG's but this one catch me if anyone here likes Diablo 2 give it a try it's F2P.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/

Path of Exile OT

CzarTim

Path of Exile is being released in some hours today I played it during sometime in the beta and it's a fun game. During the beta the developers were releasing lots of updates and seemed to listen to the players feedback. The skill tree is huge and gives lots of options to create builds, of course there are going to be cookie cutter builds but it doesn't stop from you coming with your build. Other positive point is the oppressive atmosphere the game pass, everything in Wraeclast appears to exist solely to kill you and the stages gave me an unease feel especially Solaris Temple, it was disturbing.

I'm not into ARPG's but this one catch me if anyone here likes Diablo 2 give it a try it's F2P.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/

Path of Exile OT

Path of Exiles is one of my Top 5 favorite games of all time, no joke. Also the F2P model is amazing. Play this game, people!

Twinduct

So an hour left for Space Engineers. I have an hour to finish 5 hours of work!
Btw PoE is awesome! The gem system is crazy and with the new 'trigger' gems it's going to be insane!

It's honestly one of the most fun arpgs I've played. And the changes from the Closed Beta - > Open Beta -> V1 has been staggering! The microtransactions is also balanced as hell. There is nothing a person can buy that would give them any benefit over another player. It's all just cosmetic stuff.

I really wanted to love Krater but it just didn't click for me... having said that I haven't touched it since just after release, I may try again.

However not until I've tried PoE :)

It definitely has some weird design quirks that I could see being a turn off for some (many?) people.

Top Bottom