• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Decided to pass some time away by playing through Infamous 2 again. Actually only need to do a single evil run and I'll have the Platinum so why not. Plus it will refresh my memory for Cole's Legacy.

I forgot what a terrible character Cole is. Even his design is terrible.

Cole's infamous interation is terrible. He's great in inFamous 2 though

1243484_814970655184556_538920_o.jpg

1780147_814914541856834_1693366047_o.jpg

MMaRsu

I think that already belongs to some of the launch exclusives. Ryse, Forza, Killzone to name a few.

Some of it boils down to graphics like Killzone, but then you also have something like Forza's drive-a-thingys to handle ai.

Hell, Dead Rising 3 had an incredible amount of zombies on screen and the lighting (those flares) wasn't too shabby either.

I wouldnt consider Forza 5 or Dead Rising true next gen games.

FMbarbarian

I don't get how some people consider games that are exclusively on next gen console not next gen. Is it because they don't fulfill some kind of intangible requirements? I think Infamous: Second Son is the first great next gen game, but it's not the first. Also first TRUE next gen game doesn't mean anything when true isn't defined.

Brick

Decided to pass some time away by playing through Infamous 2 again. Actually only need to do a single evil run and I'll have the Platinum so why not. Plus it will refresh my memory for Cole's Legacy.

I forgot what a terrible character Cole is. Even his design is terrible.

I might be the outlier here, but I actually like Cole's design much more than Deslin's. * shrug *

Muffdraul

Can't believe they changed that to what we were given. The final design is shockingly bad. Gaunt Wayne Rooney comes to mind.

That was such a great lesson in "Be careful what you ask for." I was right there along with everyone else, bitching and whining about they turned Cole from a hard bad ass into a metrosexual pretty boy. Then the final game is released, and instead he was some kind of half-baked full grown fetus. Really wished SP had just stuck to their guns and not instantly cowtowed to the internet crybabies on that one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Eh its not the first.

Also I am not sure what a true next gen experience is really.

I've been trying to get an explanation for what "next gen gameplay" actually is for months. Usually the answer is just a long winded way of saying "open world" so I guess Dead Rising 3 was the first.

So, do you guys think this is the first true next generation game? Or something else?

If you mean in terms of fidelity leap compared to the same genre last gen, then yeah I think so. IQ wise it is just insanity for an open world game. Gives me joy to think Sony has these kinds of engines coming out of WWS so early in the systems lifespan. I think the Voxel system of Res0gun could be used by many indie teams to create some visually incredible R-Type style games. This infamous engine could be used in god knows how many open world games to a grand degree. The Killzone engine is an extraordinary FPS engine, and the technique they used for MP which still creates a 1080p engine just with less resources required is something many other teams could utilize. You know it is good because noone picked up on it until that article awhile back. Knack created some really detailed environments that looked great @ 1080p on your TV. Art Direction was suspect for some, but fidelity wise it was great. Had some framerate issues that could of used optimization while playing as Big Knack, but you know .. launch games.

So WWS is def. ahead of the curve this gen. Seeing what other companies are able to do, it has been rather underwhelming save for Tomb Raider and AC4.

I think Deep Down has the engine I am most impressed with atm. Just because of those spell effects. That was the first gameplay that actually had my eyes bugging out ( ok ok, Res0gun Armageddon and Killzone : SF live got me too ). The spell effects are AWESOME and bodes well for future RPG's if the engine is indeed implemented in games like Dragons Dogma. Fuck that could be awesome with these spell effects like in Deep Down.

This is Infamous. If you didn't like the others ... it is possible they have enhanced the game enough for you to like it, from what we are hearing, but most likely no. The gameplay is what it will always be, which is just fantastic to me because I loved Infamous 1/2.

Can't believe they changed that to what we were given. The final design is shockingly bad. Gaunt Wayne Rooney comes to mind.

That was such a great lesson in "Be careful what you ask for." I was right there along with everyone else, bitching and whining about they turned Cole from a hard bad ass into a metrosexual pretty boy. Then the final game is released, and instead he was some kind of half-baked full grown fetus. Really wished SP had just stuck to their guns and not instantly cowtowed to the internet crybabies on that one.

It wasn't fucking Cole and they tried to merge what they did to the stuff before.

If they just used that design for a different character they wouldn't have gotten most of the shit they did imo.

Grisby

I wouldnt consider Forza 5 or Dead Rising true next gen games.
I think they are. Forza looks good and has the ai deal (Maybe its all a hoax but I've seen them mess up realistically). Dead rising might have started out as a 360 game but its got more zombies then what last gen could do, plus you hardly ever see the same zombie twice.

I guess you could lead into the question of what defines a true next gen game. Is it just graphics?

How would you rank top 5 best super hero video games?

1.) Batman Arkham Asylum ( still like Asylum over City )
2.) Infamous 2
3.) Spiderman PS2
4.) Hulk : Ultimate Destruction - PS2
5.) Arkham City

That would be my list. F'in loved incredible hulk game on the PS2, was plain awesome. The spiderman games were great too being able to web sling throughout the city. Was amazing for its time. Infamous 2 though, was insanity back in the day. The abilities you ended up getting were intense.

Muffdraul

It wasn't fucking Cole and they tried to merge what they did to the stuff before.

If they just used that design for a different character they wouldn't have gotten most of the shit they did imo.

Yeah yeah yeah it wasn't Cole blah blah fucking blah. Like I said, I was there, I hated it too. It's just ironic that what we ended up with was twice as lame.

R_Deckard

Sooooooo close. I went to the base exchange. Had a copy in my hand they couldn't sell me.

I just got my copy today after getting in from work I never knew it had arrived!! I am playing it as I type this, the visuals are just sublime.

I will post some shots when can stop playing

Here in the US I haven't seen a single piece of advertising for Infamous. They can learn from Microsoft how to create hype for a game

Here in the US I have seen a lot. First it was featured in the earlier PS4 commercials (the Sharing one among others) and recently they've been airing the live action one a lot. I've seen infamous commercials more than Titanfall, actually. But it's a demographic thing. I see Titanfall advertised on ESPN when I'm working (in a restaurant) but when I'm at home I see infamous on the channels I watch.

I think Sony could be doing an even better job pushing it but I think that article is way off base. It's more of a games media-lead disinterest in inFamous compared to Titanfall.

Carbonox

1. Batman Arkham City
2. Batman Arkham Asylum
3. Infamous 2
4. Batman Arkham Origins
5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

As you can see it's uh...just Batman and Infamous, apart from X-Men Origins Wolverine which is underrated and extremely fun. :lol I loved Spiderman 2 back in the day but there is no way it even remotely holds up now so I won't include it. No other good superhero games out there really, at least ones that appeal to me.

Haven't played any others apart from PSOne stuff way back when.

I reckon Second Son and Arkham Knight could very well battle it out for the top spot by the end of the year.

Yeah yeah yeah it wasn't Cole blah blah fucking blah. Like I said, I was there, I hated it too. It's just ironic that what we ended up with was twice as lame.

yea the final design didn't look great at all and should have done a different character at that point.

But honestly they would have lost part of the reason i'm interested in this game if they did it then though .

Squalor

1. Infamous: Second Son (PlayStation 4)
2. Spider-Man 2 (PlayStation 2)
3. Infamous (PlayStation 3)
4. Batman: Arkham City (PlayStation 3)
5. X-Men: Ultimate Alliance (PlayStation 2)

Real list:
5. Prototype
4 Prototype
3. Prototype
2. Prototype
1. Superman 64

I'm sure this has already been asked multiple times, but how are the side-missions in this game? Are there a lot? Are they varied?

1. Arkham City
2. Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
3. Spider-Man 2 (movie game)
4. Ultimate Spider-Man
5. Hulk: Ultimste Destruction

Yeah, I haven't played many superhero games outside of the licensed ones.

Can you guys believe that they didn't mention inFamous in Jack Tretton's resignation notice?

Sony could learn a lot from MS about how to create hype for a game.

spoonman

Banned
already posted but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd_7bjsphA4

man the inFamous lore is so good

Sony is having difficulty making more hero movies other then Spider-Man

if I was them I would make a inFamous movie

Video game movies are almost always garbage (Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Doom, Super Mario Bros., House of the Dead, Double Dragon, and so on...).

If Sony is smart they will never make a live action video game based movie. I'd much rather play this than just watch it.

Top Bottom