• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

I truly believe anyone who complains that Delsin is too douchey or that SP made him try to be too edgy must have experienced something traumatic on their school's playground.

SSReborn

I truly believe anyone who complains that Delsin is too douchey o that SP made him try to be too edgy must have experienced something traumatic on their school's playground.

I actually think people who go around calling people douches actually come across more as douches themselves.

dyergram

Just saw the advert for this on uk tv pretty terrible advert games looks gorgeous though rooting for ps hope this comes together for them.

I wouldn't trust Youtubers really...they're more easily bought with no standards/principles compared to any proper reviewer.

I don't know...

I have had this lurching feeling that reviewers will rip the game apart.

IGN AU, Eurogamer, Videogamer, etc complain the missions are generic.

The videogamer podcast goes on a tear on the infamous games and even said "sucker punch tries to hard to make their games cool".

People complain about Delsin saying he seems like a douche.

People have complained about the sound of the game.

Then again none of these people seem to have fully played the game and only the fetch missions... but the negativity is worrying.

This is an undeniable fact, he looks like a douche! XD Maybe that was intentionally designed and you have to pay $60 to see him hopefully mature and become a real person rather than a typical angsty teen with superpowers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't wait to be validated with someone else's opinion on this game I'm anticipating. I can't get by without someone else telling me how to feel about a game.

Think I might order this soon as I don't have a PS4 atm.

That's fine and I want Sucker Punch to be successful too but all I can do is support good games when I see them. I'm not about to get upset because IGN gave the game a 6.0 and Billy Bob from Alabama is going to pass on the game because of it.
that's the problem with these "journalists". their opinions aren't any more valid than anyone who played the game, yet they can influence purchasing decisions.

there really is no proper solution. pubs need them for free marketing.

sjay1994

I wouldn't trust Youtubers really...they're more easily bought with no standards/principles compared to any proper reviewer.

This is an undeniable fact, he looks like a douche! XD Maybe that was intentionally designed and you have to pay $60 to see him hopefully mature and become a real person rather than a typical angsty teen with superpowers.

WTF does that mean he looks like a douche?

Is it his clothes? Is this what people are so hung up over? He is a 18-20 year old just trying to figure out who he is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I actually think people who go around calling people douches actually come across more as douches themselves.

Agreed completely. Calling someone a douchebag for wearing a beanie says more about you than him in my view.

I only mean youtube in the sense of how easy it is the find gameplay footage and form an opinion based on that. Look at the people here who pre-ordered the game or even bought a PS4 based on the early streams.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You can poke the nervousness with a needle in this thread right now lmao.

I don't care about reviews personally, but there's no denying that they affect how a game does sales wise. The only games that escape such a trap are franchises that are remarkably popular.

What? That is the most ridiculous process I've ever heard of

So the score is based off their impression of the review instead of actually playing it?

Yup, it's ridiculous. The number has nothing to do with the quality of the game and everything to do with the writer's ability to articulate their experience of the game.

You know those trolls on Eurogamer that say "reads like a 7" after a review? These guys do it as their job.

With that in mind, TLoU getting a 7.5 tells you everything you need to know about the quality of their writing.

that was shown at the ps4 launch event on gametrailers. Cool stuff.

Definitely really cool video, also at the end they talk about their partnership with NASA. Which is interesting as they just announced what that deal was with the Project Morpheus reveal. Link for anyone who wants it. Also shows that as we all probably expected Magic Lab probably had a role in developing Sony's VR solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3bjwazHsA

Also, what is up with people not liking Delsin? Honestly there are so many bald douchey space marine protaganists in the last generation that didn't get 1/10th the amount of hate! Delsin is an actual character with dimension and development. Come on people let's not be so judgmental over what people wear

I don't care about reviews personally, but there's no denying that they affect how a game does sales wise. The only games that escape such a trap are franchises that are remarkably popular.

In this case, I feel being a quality game early in the PS4's release cycle will have a much bigger effect. I don't think the reviews will make much of a difference to sales either way.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Or games coming out to 6 million content starved users. :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It streamlines the process so that publishers only have to buy off one person instead of five or six.

iNWm9pTPOZtCa.gif

lmbotiva

i went in to the spoiler thread by mistake thinking it was this one and i saw a picture of the final boss, im so fucking hating myself right now, fuck my luck

Yes, reviewers submit text to the reviews editor (agies) and he gives it a score based on what he read

lolygon indeed!!

Wait, so Arthur Gies is in charge of handing out the scores............................ this is explains so much. That literally the most absurd reviewing process I've ever heard of. Especially when we have a clear history of bias on the guy.

Effect

You can get through the story in ten hours.

With all the side missions included, you can get up to fifteen. If you're the kind of gamer who takes his time and does a lot of exploration outside the story and side missions, you could easily get up to twenty hours for one play-through.

Still, you can get the Platinum within twenty-five hours.

Thanks!

Wait, so Arthur Gies is in charge of handing out the scores............................ this is explains so much. That literally the most absurd reviewing process I've ever heard of. Especially when we have a clear history of bias on the guy.

So Infamous: Second Son will get a Titanfall/10?

i went in to the spoiler thread by mistake thinking it was this one and i saw a picture of the final boss, im so fucking hating myself right now, fuck my luck

Man I did once two and lucked out so hard because there was only a single post on that page and it was a non-spoilery screenshot. However my heart dropped when I clicked on it.

I mean I know its a spoiler thread and all but I think people should at least wait till release day to post things like final boss pictures :/

Don't feel bad. I read the wiki page for infamous to explain a little bit about Infamous 2's ending, just completed it, and potentially spoiled myself as to what the third lower is. Ugh! Although it has me pretty hyped to see it in action and how it is used. Lol.

It streamlines the process so that publishers only have to buy off one person instead of five or six.

Haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thank you

I fully expect 9's and 8's. The first Infamous titles were 9's for me easily. So much fun. But after watching several livestreams and that god awful IGN demo some people have trouble having fun it seems.

DirtyLarry

I am expecting "game journalists" to be extra critical of the game to be honest.
Why? Because "game journalists," thanks to their very existence, have something to prove.
They need hits.
They are also not idiots.
They know damn well many in the know are considering this title to be the first real "next-gen" game from a visual perspective.

As a result they are going to be extra critical of everything besides the visuals because from their perspective it is absolutely essential to be hyper critical of all other aspects of the game for "the integrity of the medium."
Please do not get me wrong, these other aspects are important to modern games. No doubt about it.
However "journalists" need to go above and beyond things such as gameplay and story arc to prove just how special they are (meaning the journalist themselves, not the game).

They like to talk about the integrity of the game.
They like to talk about the artistic merits (not the graphics artistic merits, the artsy-fartsy artistic merits).
They really like to fabricate, I mean talk about, the political correctness and impact on society of the main character.
Basically they love to talk about any number of the countless other hipster topics they believe separate them from the common video game player.

If they do not discuss these things, the facade is obvious.
More and more common folk will realize they are in fact just like you and me. The only difference being they are slightly more articulate with the written word and/or have the patience to edit videos and upload them to YouTube.

The problem with video game reviews these days is they talk about everything except why most of us at least initially started to play these games to begin with.

To have fucking fun.

Top Bottom