• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

DNAbro

I am expecting "game journalists" to be extra critical of the game to be honest.
Why? Because "game journalists," thanks to their very existence, have something to prove.
They need hits.
They are also not idiots.
They know damn well many in the know are considering this title to be the first real "next-gen" game from a visual perspective.

As a result they are going to be extra critical of everything besides the visuals because from their perspective it is absolutely essential to be hyper critical of all other aspects of the game for "the integrity of the medium."
Please do not get me wrong, these other aspects are important to modern games. No doubt about it.
However "journalists" need to go above and beyond things such as gameplay and story arc to prove just how special they are (meaning the journalist themselves, not the game).

They like to talk about the integrity of the game.
They like to talk about the artistic merits (not the graphics artistic merits, the artsy-fartsy artistic merits).
They really like to fabricate, I mean talk about, the political correctness and impact on society of the main character.
Basically they love to talk about any number of the countless other hipster topics they believe separate them from the common video game player.

If they do not discuss these things, the facade is obvious.
More and more common folk will realize they are in fact just like you and me. The only difference being they are slightly more articulate with the written word and/or have the patience to edit videos and upload them to YouTube.

The problem with video game reviews these days is they talk about everything except why most of us at least initially started to play these games to begin with.

To have fucking fun.

Well the main problem is that some people don't consider infamous fun for whatever reason.

I'm going to guess anywhere between 8 to 8.5 overall. I am curious what Colin at IGN will give it, he was a big fan of inFamous, so I'd like to hear his thoughts on it. Can't wait though!

I still think there's a few things that inFamous can do for its next game to push the franchise forward even further, but I'd like to finish the game first (twice) and then possibly make a topic about it (I don't know if juniors can make topics).

newjeruse

I'm going to guess anywhere between 8 to 8.5 overall. I am curious what Colin at IGN will give it, he was a big fan of inFamous, so I'd like to hear his thoughts on it. Can't wait though!

I still think there's a few things that inFamous can do for its next game to push the franchise forward even further, but I'd like to finish the game first (twice) and then possibly make a topic about it (I don't know if juniors can make topics).
Seems like Moriarty isn't reviewing it.

I haven't played the game yet.....but based on everything I've seen, I'm sure it'll hit in the 8-9's range mostly with of course those few outliers.

Regardless of how it scores, I know I'll love it.

jet1911

Man, people in here maybe jumping the gun a bit getting so defensive over non existent reviews, huh?

Happens in every "big" game thread. Every reviews below an 8 generally gets ripped to shred for whatever reasons. Also in Sony's exclusives games the Polygon review is always the one evryone is waiting for.

Are there any writers/review outlets people would suggest reading tomorrow (or watching)? Obviously, there's going to be a ton out there, so what should I read to get at least a (somewhat) decent picture of the game?

I haven't played the game yet.....but based on everything I've seen, I'm sure it'll hit in the 8-9's range mostly with of course those few outliers.

Regardless of how it scores, I know I'll love it.

image.php

Haha! Commander Adama Shepard Rowe

-griffy-

Banned
Happens in every "big" game thread. Every reviews below an 8 generally gets ripped to shred for whatever reasons. Also in Sony's exclusives games the Polygon review is always the one evryone is waiting for.
But there are no reviews below an 8 yet. There are no reviews at all. And people are already getting super defensive. About the reviews. That don't exist.

I-hate-u

Not really the type of game that is dependent on reviews. Its a sandbox game where you have super powers and has SuckerPunch logo on it. Most likely its a good game.

Not really the type of game that is dependent on reviews. Its a sandbox game where you have super powers and has SuckerPunch logo on it. Most likely its a good game.

I found the first two inFamous games' reviews to be about right... possibly even a bit generous. Things seemed a bit pedestrian, especially due to the repetition aspect and lack of interesting mission design.

Personally I am certainly looking for reviews on this one.

I don't want it to be good. I want it to be great.

I-hate-u

I found the first two inFamous games' reviews to be about right... possibly even a bit generous. Things seemed a bit pedestrian, especially due to the repetition aspect and lack of interesting mission design.

Personally I am certainly looking for reviews on this one.

I don't want it to be good. I want it to be great.

I felt that was the case as well, but it was offset by how great the gameplay was.

I know I shouldn't care about reviews, but it's hard not to. They most definitely don't skew my enjoyment of a game, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't make me a little happy when the game I like scores high. It makes my decision all the more justified, and it feels pretty good.

Hearing about some of Gaf's predictions about what game outlets will give a bad score is a little disheartening, but I'm sure it's nothing a little smoke blasting and neon dashing can't fix.

EVERYONE, SPREAD THAT GOOD KARMA FIRST! LEAVE THE BAD KARMA FOR LATER!

hydruxo

I'd really be shocked if anybody gave it less than a 7 to be honest. I haven't seen much negativity about it at all. I think it'll get lots of 8's, and a few 9's, then a 7 here or there.

Really starting to get excited for this. I only ever played Infamous 2 and thought it was one of the most fun games I'd played. Story and characters and mission design were never great, but wow was it fun and it looked great. Sometimes, that's more then enough.

Skilletor

I've never seen people debate imaginary review scores so much, lol.

I completely forgot that I had an HDCP stripper and could be using it to record some inFamous footage. I've been using the lower quality ps4 stuff.

Just afraid to post it anywhere, haha. I guess it's only another day or so.

Are there any writers/review outlets people would suggest reading tomorrow (or watching)? Obviously, there's going to be a ton out there, so what should I read to get at least a (somewhat) decent picture of the game?
read player impressions on neogaf. at least we don't need the help of editors to explain clearly how we feel about the game.

Gaz_RB

read player impressions on neogaf. at least we don't need the help of editors to explain clearly how we feel about the game.

Agree completely. Gaf is my main source of criticism now.

It may need some sifting from time to time, but the good outweighs the bad.

Top Bottom