• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Ive never understood why people care at all about reviews…. Their just someone’s opinion. Their neither right nor wrong. Ive read reviews where they trashed RDR, absolutely trashed every aspect of it and yet I love everything about that game. Honestly, only when I was a child did I care about review scores that magazines published, but now I think the whole review process is a waste of time. Why do some of you people care so much?

vypek

Is there supposed to be a midnight release for this? I got a text earlier saying I can pick it up friday. Kind of sucks I usually get out from work by midnight.

I don't think it will release at midnight everywhere but my gamestop is one of the ones having a launch party (surprisingly). You should probably call to check if you are getting it at a brick-and-mortar. I think people mentioned the digital download is available at 12 PST/3 EST

DNAbro

Spoiler guidelines are very strict. Obviously everyone has different sensitivities, but if you've only seen what they've officially revealed, I'd say it's pretty spoiler-free. A lot of cool stuff not being shown.

Good, especially since GT seems to be the one site that has the most spoilers per review.

Ive never understood why people care at all about reviews…. Their just someone’s opinion. Their neither right nor wrong. Ive read reviews where they trashed RDR, absolutely trashed every aspect of it and yet I love everything about that game. Honestly, only when I was a child did I care about review scores that magazines published, but now I think the whole review process is a waste of time. Why do some of you people care so much?
Internet bragging wars

I only care because Sucker Punch deserves to be recognized and sell a ton. And while Im sure it will sell well no matter the scores it gets, if it does indeed get lower scores from a lot of the bigger sites it will hinder the games success in terms of sales because a lot of naive people put too much faith in the opinions of some of the more popular reviewers out there.

what makes you think polygon will score it that low?

They typically rate Sony first party games lower than others. I think someone did the math, and they usually gave Sony games a few points lower than average and Microsoft a few points higher.

They also gave TLoU a 7.5 (seems like everyone forgot Gamespot gave it an 8 but oh well)

Also, I think Vox Media is sponsored by MS or some crazy shit like that.

I seriously doubt Polygon will give it lower than the average score. So much shit has been piling up against them, legitimate or not, and they'd be foolish to try to bate clicks if they want to maintain their integrity.

Actually I expect this game to be Polygon's first negative value review.

Not rage inducing enough:

4/10

- Fails to reach the 1080p 60fps benchmark expected of this generation.
- Doesn't offer a multiplayer mode to complement the single player. Feels like only half a game and not true value for money.
- While the graphics are sometimes fine, details like low resolution cables stand out all too often, which has a real effect on gameplay.
- The game lacks content, without any of the compelling collecting side-missions of a series like Assassin's creed
- The streaming features of the PS4 work for the game, but in general it suffers considerably due to lack of chat icons and other expected social features.

MavFan619

Banned
Second Son reviews!

IGN!!.... Gametrailers!!... Kotaku!!... Gamespot!!... Polygon!!
d91c4b8663aa30c0a0c609b4c68040ea.600x.gif
Oh man this is spot on hahaha.

Bizzquik

So no official Strategy Guide, huh? Kinda weird for an AAA release these days....

No cool collection of the game's art, no behind-the-scenes section with the dev team, no fun random character stats to look up....

I'm disappointed.

So no official Strategy Guide, huh? Kinda weird for an AAA release these days....

No cool collection of the game's art, no behind-the-scenes section with the dev team, no fun random character stats to look up....

I'm disappointed.

Is it really AAA? I haven't thought about that yet. I think AAa, but not AA or AAA. I think it's because we're experiencing a drought.

Lingitiz

I don't know to be honest. Not saying it won't be awesome and sell well, but I was under the impression that the budget wasn't huge.

SP is a group of what...maybe 70-100 people? They're funded by Sony and were given 3 years to work on an exclusive game that's been propped up to be their marquee "launch window" title. If that's not AAA I dunno what is.

So uh, I haven't really done any game preorders in a really long time but with Amazon Prime you have to pay one-day shipping ($4 more) for release-day delivery? I certainly don't remember paying that for my release day PS4...

If I really do have to pay an extra $4 I'm definitely just preordering this off Best Buy. I want my Limited Edition perks but I'm already paying tax from Amazon, no sense in paying $4 more for no good reason. I mean, I AM leaving the house on Friday <_<

It depends on when you order the game. If I would've ordered it this morning or before I would have received it friday with the free 2 day shipping. But I was lazy and waited until this afternoon and I had to pay the extra for one day to get it friday.

Just one more night!!! AHHH SO CLOSE!

Still got to work Friday but Atleast I know I can come home that night, kick the feet up and play this throughout the weekend.

SP is a group of what...maybe 70-100 people? They're funded by Sony and were given 3 years to work on an exclusive game that's been propped up to be their marquee "launch window" title. If that's not AAA I dunno what is.

2.5 years and hundred or so people ...yea its AAA

Well if you compare to other AAA titles with several hundreds of people and 4+ years of development time it honestly doesn't seem that massive IMO. The barriers of AAA are broken every year, and while SP was likely staffed efficiently, it's kind of silly to categorize it with the development behemoths that GTAV was and Watch_Dogs is.

It really seems like a 2.5xA.

Lol I'm being really anal.

Lingitiz

Well if you compare to other AAA titles with several hundreds of people and 4+ years of development time it honestly doesn't seem that massive IMO. The barriers of AAA are broken every year, and while SP was likely staffed efficiently, it's kind of silly to categorize it with the development behemoths that GTAV was and Watch_Dogs is.

It's a conservative approach by today's multiplatform AAA standards, but this is basically the standard first party/exclusive AAA approach. It's pointless to get into a debate about semantics. Would you classify the Uncharted games or The Last of Us as not AAA? How about Bungie's Halo games? They were all made of teams of similar sizes, not including outsourced work and whatnot.

beast786

Can you list these games

It depends on when you order the game. If I would've ordered it this morning or before I would have received it friday with the free 2 day shipping. But I was lazy and waited until this afternoon and I had to pay the extra for one day to get it friday.

That makes sense. I realized as much when I saw posts of people saying they're getting shipping confirmation emails. It would obviously be more expensive for them to have them ship it to me on a much shorter notice than those preorders that can be fulfilled with many more days in advance.

Ridesh

Banned
Ive never understood why people care at all about reviews&#8230;. Their just someone&#8217;s opinion. Their neither right nor wrong. Ive read reviews where they trashed RDR, absolutely trashed every aspect of it and yet I love everything about that game. Honestly, only when I was a child did I care about review scores that magazines published, but now I think the whole review process is a waste of time. Why do some of you people care so much?

At the end of the day, reviews average are generally in line with the public opinion of the game (with exceptions of course).

I mean, which were the best rated games of 2010? SMG2, ME2 and RDR
GAF GOTY results 2010: ME2, RDR and SMG2.

Best rated games of 2011: Skyrim and Portal 2.
GAF GOTY results 2011: Portal 2 and Skyrim.

Best rated games of 2012: ME3, TWD and Journey.
GAF GOTY results 2012: Journey and TWD.

Best rated games of 2013: GTAV, TLOU and B:I
GAF GOTY results 2013: TLOU, B:I and GTAV.

And so on.

coldone

Review predictions

IGN: 9.5
Gamespot: 9
Gametrailers: 9.1
Gameinformer: 9.3
Kotaku: Yes
PSNation: 10/10
Joystiq: 4.5/5
Eurogamer: 8/10
gamesradar: 4/5
GiantBomb: 4/5
Polygon: 2/10

:)

It is going to be a 80-83 meta critic average. Almost a repeat of Infamous 2

GameInformer and Gametrailers may score it above 9. Other scores will be below 9. IGN may hit par and do a 8.9.

Jesb

Are we able to have this automatically download? I'll be sleeping when this goes up so it would be nice if it just downloads while my system is in sleep mode.

cdkee

Banned
It is going to be a 80-83 meta critic average. Almost a repeat of Infamous 2

GameInformer and Gametrailers may score it above 9. Other scores will be below 9. IGN may hit par and do a 8.9.

This. Don't mean to deflate the hype (you should be very hyped), this is an 8.5-ish game.

beast786

Like I said, GTAV and Watch_Dogs. You could argue that WD is releasing on 6 platforms, but it's not like you'd need 600 people to port a game 5 times.

if it's releasing at the same time than yes. Not to argue about semantics that are subjective. but right now SS looks much more AAA than watch dog

Top Bottom