• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Silurus

Only just started but how do you access the Cole's Legacy DLC?

I activated the code in the store and it looks to have added it.

Damn it! Still waiting for my return. Held off long enough so I don't mind waiting a few more days, but with my luck, Amazon will run out of stock on PS4's again.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Played the opening. Happy with what I've seen so far. It seems like Uncharted with superpowers instead of guns (and an urban setting instead of Ancient ruins). Which does fine for me, miles more engaging than Killzone.

The facial models are a massive step up from anything last gen.

The extra polygons make such a huge difference in making facial muscles actually look rounded.

Well I just beat the game a second time on evil.

Holy shit Delsin is such an asshole O_O

Dat evil ending.

What a fantastic game Second Son is. I throughly enjoyed every bit of time I spent with it over the past week.

Now to get that delicious platinum! :D

Requiem

The facial models are a massive step up from anything last gen.

The extra polygons make such a huge difference in making facial muscles actually look rounded.

Yea that's something that really stood out to me

STORY SPOILER BELOW!!

The scene where you are at Betty's bedside really shows off the facial tech well...I was a bit stunned at how well it was animated

Danlord

Picked up my copy a few hours ago and it's incredible! Already thoroughly impressed!

I however have an unfortunate voucher code for the Cole's Legacy DLC etc;

oPyA3bM.jpg

GorillaJu

Got through the first part of the game, but apparently my download speed to Sony's servers is absolutely fucked. Estimated 5.5 hours to download the remaining 55% of the game, and the timer doesn't even seem to be going down.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must say, this really feels quite different from the first two games. The presentation, story telling, atmosphere and even core gameplay are all so much more refined. It's a much more interesting experience as a result. It may not have evolved in every way, but I feel as if it finally fully realizes what they wanted to achieve.

I'll be interested to see what others say about this. It reminds me of Killzone.
Oh it's EXACTLY like Killzone. Seems to average anywhere between 30-50 fps depending on the scene but never seems to dip under 30 fps. It could easily have held 30 fps constant with a limiter.

I really hope they follow Guerrilla's lead and add a limiter in a future patch. It couldn't be difficult to add such a feature and would make the game feel so much more consistent.

On a side note, the texture detail here is absolutely incredible. Signs in particular are of obscenely high quality and never break up even at close proximity. Very impressive.

58D.jpg

Ok, the unlocked framerate is really driving me nuts. They need a 30 fps limiter here.

What is the deal with developers choosing this option so often on these new consoles? Makes no sense.

Man I really don't like the control scheme. I don't like having to use the touch pad for everything. Why can't I just use the triggers. The other 2 infamous games controlled better I feel. And the animations seem a little buggy at times.

The UI is really weird too. Some UI elements are too small even on my 40" TV. The mini map is really hard to read.

I hope I warm up to this game eventually. But I feel Infamous1 started out a lot stronger even with out a bunch of fancy mocap cutscenes.

So the touch pad stuff cannot be turned off?

Does anyone feel like the DS4 is way too bright for this game? Generally this has never bothered me in the past, but this..
4vZEpsh.jpg

or this in a well lit room..
Pz2vtWe.jpg

(Sorry for crappy phone pics)

I can already tell this is going to be annoying as fuck especially when you have such crisp and beautiful graphics on display.

DJwest

Dat evil ending.

What a fantastic game Second Son is. I throughly enjoyed every bit of time I spent with it over the past week.

No spoilers but I'd like to know: did you have more fun with the good or evil powers? That ice jump in inFamous2 made traversal so interesting. And which ending did you prefer?

Only managed to play the game for around 30min as I have to go out, but initial impressions are good. The graphics and particularly the lighting effects are probably the best looking of any console game released so far. I have been spamming the share button to take screenshots at every moment rather than actually playing the game because it's that beautiful. The controls are smooth and responsive. Even though some people might find it a bit gimmicky, I also liked how they have incorporated the controllers features such as the early
spray can use
and the swip and push of the touchpad to open doors and push objects. The story presentation, while an improvement to the previous games, is still not quite at the Naughty Dog level though but the gameplay makes up for that. I can't wait to dive into this later tonight.

How are the screenshots' quality on the PS4? Are they compressed or as good as abload.de/minus.com/flickr?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What is the deal with developers choosing this option so often on these new consoles? Makes no sense.

So the touch pad stuff cannot be turned off?
Oh, I know exactly why they do it. Slightly faster controller response and the ability to claim a framerate higher than 30 fps. I get the feeling that there is some sort of mandate to hit a higher framerate within Sony as this problem has almost exclusively existed with Sony games.

I like the idea of aiming for a higher framerate but if you can't hit 60 fps then it needs to be 30. It really DOES seem as if these guys either don't notice or don't care about the judder caused by using a framerate that doesn't evenly divide into the refresh rate.

I'm glad Guerrilla listened to us and added the option. I really respect them for that move. It's a huge show of goodwill to add something that the average consumer probably won't ever touch.

Any and everyone who cares about this should tweet the shit out of their main account. We really need to make them listen.

Wish I could join you guys. I have to wait til fathers day to get this unless I get some side work. :( It stinks that KZ SF is still my only full retail game. Damn priorities. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

viveks86

Dat evil ending.

Cool. So you recommend good first and evil last?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Somebody told me last night that it's easier to get the plat if you do Good on normal first, then do Evil second playthrough. Not sure why that is though.

Because as evil you can just kill everything and not have to worry about hitting citizens when killing enemies.

Quick question: does the day 1 patch adds coles legacy missions for everyone ? Or you still need a pre ordered copy ?

You still need the code, the patch puts the files there, but the code unlocks it.

Gaz_RB

Does anyone feel like the DS4 is way too bright for this game? Generally this has never bothered me in the past, but this..
4vZEpsh.jpg

or this in a well lit room..
Pz2vtWe.jpg

(Sorry for crappy phone pics)

I can already tell this is going to be annoying as fuck especially when you have such crisp and beautiful graphics on display.

Well I always get kind of mad at it during loading screens, but as soon as the game comes on, I forget about it completely and don't even notice it.

Mr Moose

Mine was sent on the 18th, it's still not here, postman has been and gone (although I was only expecting MGS by normal post, and that didn't arrive either).

Desks will be flipped if it's not here soon... :<

dmr87

I don't have a PS4 yet, but I just want to know one thing.

Is the auto platforming stuff fixed? I absolutely hated how in 2 I'd be trying to glide around and Cole would kind of lock on to stuff and I'd be pressing up but he'd just hover on the spot until he landed on it, then I'd try to jump off and he'd auto grab the next closest thing and it leads to endless rage.

Anyone?

Top Bottom