• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Concept17

I've only had a chance to play about 30 minutes thanks to finals projects, but my god is it beautiful. Living in Seattle, it's a lot of fun seeing how they portrayed the city.

hydruxo

This is unbelievable. My friend got his copy from the same best buy and got the Cole's Legacy dlc.

So did I. They didn't have any on display at Best Buy and the guy had them behind the counter, so he just gave me the limited edition with the dlc on it. Didn't preorder or anything.

bombshell

Got a problem with the picture being cut off at the edges. Most games have an option to adjust the picture size. Anyone know where I can find it or what I could do about it? I have a 32" TV.

Look in PS4 OS settings, there's a screen size adjustment tool.

Just entered Seattle. How do you kill the big hulking DUP guy with the machine gun? If you even approach him, he charges you. And it's hard to avoid his rapid fire.

Am I supposed to fight him? So annoying.

hydruxo

Just entered Seattle. How do you kill the big hulking DUP guy with the machine gun? If you even approach him, he charges you. And it's hard to avoid his rapid fire.

Just gotta keep shooting fireballs at him. Took me a while too.

FeD.nL

Framerate is all over the place sometimes. Some sequences look stunning when nearing the 60's, but sometimes it dips to low 20's for no apparent reason. Would have preffered a locked 30 frames.

But the game is a ton of fun so far. The powers are great to use and i'm just having a blast in general. I loved the first infamous and liked the second, but this one is much closer to the first in fun factor for me.

ckohler

Is it a bad idea to completely remove the D.U.P. from each district as I go? I'm afraid if I revisit those areas later for missions it will be boring with no enemies around.

Also, this has probably already been posted but I found this little mural:

8cFkl7o.jpg

Torraz

Hit him with like 4 or 5 charged R2 shots from mid-close range.

Is it a bad idea to completely remove the D.U.P. from each district as I go? I'm afraid if I revisit those areas later for missions it will be boring with no enemies around.

Also, this has probably already been posted but I found this little mural:

8cFkl7o.jpg

Nice,always like these easter eggs.

ttocs

Really glad that they
put Zeke in this game. If you haven't seen it yet, you get a call from him and it's a neat nod to the previous games.

Nothing wrong with it. Enemies will still patrol the area and there will be stuff after the game make sure you have enemies to fight after you've cleared the districts.

matthieuC

Framerate is all over the place sometimes. Some sequences look stunning when nearing the 60's, but sometimes it dips to low 20's for no apparent reason. Would have preffered a locked 30 frames.

I don't have the game but I think I read that it doesn't go above 30fps? Not sure though.

I didn't really care for Infamous 1/2, but man this game is amazing. I'm absolutely loving it. The world is amazing, Delsin is a cool character, story so far is good, and most importantly the controls and move set is sublime. True power fantasy.

GD71

Banned
Played it for a couple of hours now. Very pretty. Lovely lighting. But it's a bit repetitive. Much more than the previous games.

Throw fire. Climb on roof. Recharge from smoke tower. Throw more fire. Repeat 2 dozen times. Bad guys cleared down a bit? Throw fire at truck for a but then climb on roof. Use unnecessarily complex button slide combination to blow up truck. Go to next area and repeat.

I hope it changes up a gear a bit. It's not toppled AC4 and Outlast as the two best titles in my PS4 collection.

Played it for a couple of hours now. Very pretty. Lovely lighting. But it's a bit repetitive. Much more than the previous games.

Throw fire. Climb on roof. Recharge from smoke tower. Throw more fire. Repeat 2 dozen times. Bad guys cleared down a bit? Throw fire at truck for a but then climb on roof. Use unnecessarily complex button slide combination to blow up truck. Go to next area and repeat.

Touchpad up then Hold + R2 is complex?! Is this your first time with a videogame?

And that's not really a spoiler if you're saying that's all the game is, when it clearly isn't and you're only at the first DUP encounter.

jsip

Banned
Man. This is the first game I've played on X1 or PS4 that actually feels "next gen". Yep. Started today for me. Game is great all around.

Hixx

So does the 'finish the game on Expert' trophy pop at 100% completion or was putting it on expert right at the fucking beginning not enough?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For those that have played a decent amount of this. I want to post what I disliked most about Infamous 1 (only played the first), to see if they corrected or at least changed some of these gripes:

1. Cole was a horribly boring character. Didn't care about him at all.

2. Didn't really like the "graphic novel" approach to the story but I didn't hate it.

3. The enemies were basically accurate with their shots to the point of it being hilariously bad.

4. The city felt ugly and boring. I didn't enjoy playing in that environment at all.

5. Enemies were boring, just not interesting to fight or to look at.

I know this question is for Second Son, but since you never played inFAMOUS 2, I have to say that a lot of your concerns were addressed in inFAMOUS 2.

1) Cole and Zeke were improved significantly in i2, especially with the recasting of Cole. Eric Laden added a lot of personality to the character that was sorely missing in 1.

2) I like the comic cutscenes, but in i2, they had a nice mix of comic style scenes, and traditional cutscenes. The story flowed much better.

3) The enemies weren't quite as relentless as in the first title, but they did still have accuracy.

4) New Marais was an infinitely more interesting city than Empire City.

5) Enemy variety in inFAMOUS 2 is significantly more diverse than in i1, and you are forced to switch up your tactics often.

I haven't played SS yet (still at work), but from the many detailed impressions from those that have, SS improves on your concerns even more than i2 did. I honestly highly recommend giving 2 a shot, but it's not required to enjoy SS.

Yibby

I don't have the game but I think I read that it doesn't go above 30fps? Not sure though.

Ist definitely above 30 in some places and even 60fps i think. But when you do the smoke ulti into a roadblock thats some crazy physics stuff and goes under 30.

The Llama

Ist definitely above 30 in some places and even 60fps i think. But when you do the smoke ulti into a roadblock thats some crazy physics stuff and goes under 30.

Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread, but I'm a bit disappointed with the framerate. I didn't know it went over 30 though. I think a cap at 30 could help a lot.

Lingitiz

Just got into Seattle, this game is great so far. Visually I think it's the best console game I've ever seen, and rivals some of the top PC stuff out there. It's really consistent too, and it's a little hard to tell the difference between cutscene and gameplay.

Wish I could play more right now but I gotta get some work done. This is going to consume my week.

Still haven't gotten the neon power yet, but I've been collecting all the shards and doing various "things" around the town. As someone said earlier, the actual traversal is a little clunky compared to the first two games, but other than that, the game is significantly more refined and it just plays great. I platinumed the first two, but they always felt boring and like they were missing something. I think SP finally nailed it with the fluidity this time around. And for once the characters are enjoyable. Thank god.

Darklord

Banned
Why does sucker punch such so badly at ambient noise? The other games had it but you'd think it would be improved by now considering how crazy high in quality they went on visuals and a lot of smaller details. The city is so quiet and sounds lifeless. Stick a bit of street noise in there, damn. It's hardly a game breaker but I love some good ambient sound in games.

Okay, the shaking of the controller for graffiti and the controller speakers having the sound of the pea left me goddamn speechless.

It felt as if I had one literally in the controller.

O_O!!!

MAJOR WTF moment for me.

so for the digital version how do you get the dlc? is it automatically?
I'd like to know this too. Bought the Limited Edition digital version from US PSN and it didn't download the Cole's Legacy/outfits separately, but I also can't see them in game.

Also how do we access the Paper Trail missions?

Fbh

Damn this game looks good even with Facebook quality screenshots

10006926_598445540240660_440294903_n.jpg

Anyway, really enjoying it. That smoke move with Circle just feels natural.
Expert difficulty is also nice. Not really hard but you need to keep moving around giving a nice feeling of flow to the combat.

Story so far is nothing special but the dialog is fun

Damn, sucker punch needs to make an Last Airbender game xD

leng jai

Why does sucker punch such so badly at ambient noise? The other games had it but you'd think it would be improved by now considering how crazy high in quality they went on visuals and a lot of smaller details. The city is so quiet and sounds lifeless. Stick a bit of street noise in there, damn. It's hardly a game breaker but I love some good ambient sound in games.

Anyone else find the sound mix to be a little off? Loving the game so far, but things like melee hits and some explosions sound overly quiet. Playing on a 5.1 setup set to home theater.

Sucker Punch seem to be unaware on how to mix their audio properly. Infamous 2 was an absolute debacle audio wise but this is a lot better once you do this: Put the voices at at about 60% (while leaving music, gameplay at max) and then crank your volume way up. It's not perfect but it alleviates the issue of everything being too quiet and lacking oomph.

The frame-rate is shit. Surprised no one has been complaining from what I've seen. The opening cutscene stutters and then once you finally get control of Delsin, it's a stuttering mess. It's like GTAV's frame-rate.

And it's pretty damn stupid I had to close the application and go back in just to trigger the day one patch to version 1.01.

It's not super smooth like some people who got it early were claiming but to call it GTAV is hyperbole at its finest.

Kssio_Aug

I'd like to know this too. Bought the Limited Edition digital version from US PSN and it didn't download the Cole's Legacy/outfits separately, but I also can't see them in game.

Also how do we access the Paper Trail missions?

I havent downloaded it yet, but since mine os also digital, I do wanna know about it too!

Top Bottom