• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

This is what the Share button was made for. Seriously. Sony has been waiting for this.

I'm wearing my Share button out, man.

Edit:

Already took like 50 Screens in the 10 minutes Ive been playing. Such a nice looking world.

Just hate that share pauses the game every-single-time...

It doesn't have to! Go into Share Settings (by pressing Options on the share menu, I believe) and change your share setting to "Easy Screenshots".

Now a single press takes a screen shot and a hold brings up the menu (instead of the other way around).

SJRB

Gold Member
Remember how we thought the city felt "dead" just like New Marais was in I2?

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be the case.

The city is pretty dead. Sure there's more pedestrians but everything is extremely static. Hardly any non-scripted dialogue or dynamic reactions. Look at the cars' movements, they're just on rails doing their scripted round no matter what happens.

It's not as barebones as an Assassin's Creed game, but it's nothing "next-gen" either.

Strider

After getting neon there is no way I'd go back to smoke unless I have to... I enjoyed the smoke powers more than I thought I would but neon is just sooooo freaking awesome.

RoyalFool

Banned
Wow, I don't think I've sat down and played a game for so long in one sitting for quite a few years, the game is just so addictive!

It has the right balance between narrative and freedom, linear missions and side-missions that I don't ever feel bogged down or forced along. I do a few missions, then just chill out and take out security cameras and explore for a bit before stumbling into the next mission.

The graphics are great, if a bit inconsistent. Certain areas such as the tunnel after the bridge sequence, the top of the space needle and just some of the random areas of the town looking incredible - better than half the CGI stuff the last gen of consoles had, but in other places it feels slightly rushed, the characters faces are pretty inconsistent for example. But to be fair it while it does waver, it wavers between "good" and "amazing" so so it's kind of exciting to get a glimpse in places of what this gen will provide in the long term.

The combat and general mechanics are really solid, movement and combat are both enjoyable to do even when you don't have any purpose.

My only minor gripe so far is that despite having put a bunch of hours into it, I still feel a bit lost about some of the fundamentals.

When I die does progress roll-back or an I punished in any way? from what I can tell it just re-spawns me but I'm not too sure.

When does it auto-save? It doesn't seem to have any on screen icons so being paranoid I'm manually saving a bunch of times.

Would have been nice if the game explained some of these points to the players at the start.

Kyoufu

People are saying that is the case though.

Really? I think it's a huge improvement from I2. Never felt like Seattle was devoid of life with lots of pedestrians, gangs, police, DUP etc.

Most importantly they fixed the audio mix so you can't hear pins drop. That was my biggest complaint in I2.

Wow, I don't think I've sat down and played a game for so long in one sitting for quite a few years, the game is just so addictive!

It has the right balance between narrative and freedom, linear missions and side-missions that I don't ever feel bogged down or forced along. I do a few missions, then just chill out and take out security cameras and explore for a bit before stumbling into the next mission.

The graphics are great, if a bit inconsistent. Certain areas such as the tunnel after the bridge sequence, the top of the space needle and just some of the random areas of the town looking incredible - better than half the CGI stuff the last gen of consoles had, but in other places it feels slightly rushed, the characters faces are pretty inconsistent for example. But to be fair it while it does waver, it wavers between "good" and "amazing" so so it's kind of exciting to get a glimpse in places of what this gen will provide in the long term.

The combat and general mechanics are really solid, movement and combat are both enjoyable to do even when you don't have any purpose.

My only minor gripe so far is that despite having put a bunch of hours into it, I still feel a bit lost about some of the fundamentals.

When I die does progress roll-back or an I punished in any way? from what I can tell it just re-spawns me but I'm not too sure.

When does it auto-save? It doesn't seem to have any on screen icons so being paranoid I'm manually saving a bunch of times.

Would have been nice if the game explained some of these points to the players at the start.

Yeah, I do like a notification for autosaving. In my experience with Infamous 2, the game basically autosaves any time you do something that is recorded as progress, like completing a mission or even just finding a collectible.

Hixx

No. Enemies don't respawn, even.

The only punishment is if you have a Karma bomb ready, you will lose that. Which sucks but you can build that back up really quick anyway.

psychotron

Game looks beautiful and I like Delsin as a lead. Has anyone else noticed framerate hiccups when just walking around the streets? Even just running around the streets on foot I see hiccups and pop-in. A bit disappointed by that but love everything else.

leng jai

Really? I think it's a huge improvement from I2. Never felt like Seattle was devoid of life with lots of pedestrians, gangs, police, DUP etc.

Most importantly they fixed the audio mix so you can't hear pins drop. That was my biggest complaint in I2.

They "fixed" the audio mix, but it's still bad.

Andrew.

Banned
For every hyped AAA game there's always hundreds of posts of seemingly impatient people cursing Amazon/Fedex/UPS that they haven't got their game yet. Surely if you want to play a game on day one you'd go out and buy the physical copy especially for a Friday release. I know there are some people who don't have places near them but I seriously doubt that even accounts for half the posts.

I concur with this statement.

So jealous of you guys. Im stuck with a beat backlog so I have jackshit to play until I pick up a 4 in April. Hnnnnnngggggg.

Lingitiz

For every hyped AAA game there's always hundreds of posts of seemingly impatient people cursing Amazon/Fedex/UPS that they haven't got their game yet. Surely if you want to play a game on day one you'd go out and buy the physical copy especially for a Friday release. I know there are some people who don't have places near them but I seriously doubt that even accounts for half the posts.

I pretty much stopped ordering day 1 games from Amazon since I had Halo ODST delayed by almost a week a few years ago. If you're gonna buy something day 1 and aren't getting any type of discount, might as well just hop over to a Gamestop, BB or w/e and grab it.

This game is so much fun! For someone who hated infamous and never played 2 this is a big surprise:) And the gameplay is so good and just feels so natural! Haven't played a game that felt so good in a long time! Solid 9/10 in my book!

Torraz

Damn. That choice paralysis. I usually play "good", but the "evil" upgrades sound a lot more tempting...

Some things I am critical of so far:
- feels a bit repetitive, after only 1.5 areas
- too much hiding on roofs necessary (shoot missiles, run away, recharge on roof, come back)
- main character feels quite squishy

Perhaps I'm simply playing it wrong, of course! If so I'd love to hear it.

the good:
- main villain seems quite hate-able
- visuals
- sounds,
- use of the controller features
- the main character seems like a relatable guy

dakun

ok so for those of you playing.. are you making sure to "liberate" every area early on or do you just go to the next mission objective even though it's in a area you haven't been before??

i'm usually the type of gamer that finishes up everything before moving on.. but i found it quite difficult to destroy the base of each area (restricted areas) early on because of the number of enemies they throw at you.

Fbh

Only thing I'm not liking is that from what I see the time of the day and weather are not dynamic. They change after some main missions.

The thing with the motion control at the start was great. I think motion controls are great for small details like this that are not big game mechanics but help make the game more immersive

Remember how we thought the city felt "dead" just like New Marais was in I2?

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be the case.

I disagree.

For a city as big as Seattle, it still sounds nothing like what a bustling city should sound like. You might hear a bird or a horn every now and then, but the city doesn't sound alive.

This is from a guy using headphones as well.

pablito

i'm off work in 30 minutes. gf picked my copy up at gamestop for me. then it's off to install it and play it for 10 minutes then go have a last hurrah drunken get together with coworkers, then i have to drive out of town first thing tomorrow.

damnit!

leng jai

The game is improved in every facet but pretty much all the problems of the old games are still present:

- "Repetitive" gameplay. You really do do the same thing for the entire game (which is saved by the fact the core mechanics are insanely fun).
- Lacklustre side missions with zero narrative or surprises.
- Ridiculously accurate snipers which leads to being stealth hit at long range a lot of the time.
- Sub-par audio. Infamous is consistently one of the most underwhelming sounding franchises in the open world genre. Compare it to something like Skyrim or RDR and it's really lacking.

The 7s and 8s from reviews are understandable.

Kyoufu

I disagree.

For a city as big as Seattle, it still sounds nothing like what a bustling city should sound like. You might hear a bird or a horn every now and then, but the city doesn't sound alive.

This is from a guy using headphones as well.

Well it's not perfect, but still a huge improvement if you compare it to New Marais.

The "dead" atmosphere of I2 put me off playing the game so if it were the same here I'd not want to play this either.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Definitely the most I've used the share button. I've probably spent as much time taking screens as I have playing the game. :p

I waited until 6PM on release day for UPS to deliver Gears of War and that was the first and last time I purchased a day one game online. Takes 10 minutes to hit up a store bright and early on release day.

The second power is blowing me away with graphics. This game is beautiful.

Is Paper Trail (the site) down for anyone else?

And not sure about those bitching about frame rate? Haven't noticed one hitch at all.

My share button is almost broken.

styl3s

1498785_10151868539821653_1610086546_o.jpg
sogood.gif
Oh my god, I had the most aggravating moment. So I'm doing one of those hidden agent missions. And so I spot this guy. And the guy is just teleporting NON STOP. Even worse, the guy is purposely teleporting at sharp angles, and going in circles. He would go in and out of a parking lot (so through fences). Holy god, took me like 15 min of that bull crap before I finally shot his ass down. I usually don't have a problem with these missions. But this guy was on speed or something, guy was erratic as hell and moving every 1 second.
What i do is once i start i stay away from the dense looking aura in the zone and zoom in and pick out the target and fire like 4 fucking bombs at the spy.

Otherwise the mother fucker zip zoom skedaddles.

Mononoke

Banned
Oh my god, I had the most aggravating moment. So I'm doing one of those hidden agent missions. And so I spot this guy. And the guy is just teleporting NON STOP. Even worse, the guy is purposely teleporting at sharp angles, and going in circles. He would go in and out of a parking lot (so through fences). Holy god, took me like 15 min of that bull crap before I finally shot his ass down. I usually don't have a problem with these missions. But this guy was on speed or something, guy was erratic as hell and moving every 1 second.

The second power is blowing me away with graphics. This game is beautiful.

Is Paper Trail (the site) down for anyone else?

And not sure about those bitching about frame rate? Haven't noticed one hitch at all.

My share button is almost broken.

I feel bad, because I've put like 8 hours now into this game, and still haven't gotten my second power. I've just been taking my time, hitting up all the side missions, collecting shards etc. I'm moving so freakin slow. Need to just start doing the main missions.

Lucent

I'm having so much more fun with this than the previous ones. Smoke alone is fun as hell to use in traversal and attacks. I'm amazed that Orbital Drop didn't get degraded at all from the early gameplay videos. It's all in game and even somewhat controllable.

If smoke is this fun to use, I can't imagine how fun the 3rd power everyone is raving about is.

Anyone else having a hard time linking their papertrail profile to the psn account. faq says got to profile and click the psn icon to link but I can't find an icon for the life of me. I must be dumb. Have anyone found it?

Portugeezer

What framerate is the game? I notice it seems about 60 at times, but when it drops for some reason it's not annoying but it is noticeable, maybe because it locks to 30 when it goes down?

leng jai

I concur with this statement.

So jealous of you guys. Im stuck with a beat backlog so I have jackshit to play until I pick up a 4 in April. Hnnnnnngggggg.

I pretty much stopped ordering day 1 games from Amazon since I had Halo ODST delayed by almost a week a few years ago. If you're gonna buy something day 1 and aren't getting any type of discount, might as well just hop over to a Gamestop, BB or w/e and grab it.

Definitely the most I've used the share button. I've probably spent as much time taking screens as I have playing the game. :p

I waited until 6PM on release day for UPS to deliver Gears of War and that was the first and last time I purchased a day one game online. Takes 10 minutes to hit up a store bright and early on release day.

Exactly. I'm just tired of reading 'FFS Amazon" and its variants 100 times on the release day of every big game.

Hedrush

Why not let us choose before the game starts? Fucking stupid.

I said the same thing a few pages back.

I actually found the difficulty setting by accident but I was already an hour into the game.

Gonna restart a new game right now and not touch anything until I've set it to expert.

I'm pretty satisfied with how this game turned out, you guys weren't Kidding about those moments where you just sit and look at everything. How does Coles Legacy work?

Top Bottom