• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Still haven't gotten the neon power yet, but I've been collecting all the shards and doing various "things" around the town. As someone said earlier, the actual traversal is a little clunky compared to the first two games, but other than that, the game is significantly more refined and it just plays great. I platinumed the first two, but they always felt boring and like they were missing something. I think SP finally nailed it with the fluidity this time around. And for once the characters are enjoyable. Thank god.

Yeah the parkouring/climbing seems less polished than before but once you get neon those problems go away. Neon is soooo fun. Having a blast so far!

ChrisW

Just got neon powers and man the story ramps into another gear and the action gets intense. I was worried I wasn't really enjoying the game that much, but now having neon is amazing, love it!

Loving the game so far. My only complaint would be the enemies are still like 1/2 where they never miss and can hit you from very far and it is sometimes hard to tell where it is coming from. So far like it better than the first 2 though easily.

The Llama

Yeah the parkouring/climbing seems less polished than before but once you get neon those problems go away. Neon is soooo fun. Having a blast so far!

About the powers,
I only have neon and smoke, but yeah, neon is awesome. So much more fun to use than smoke. Game got twice as fun once I unlocked it. Makes me more excited for the others.

10 mins in and this game is already incredibly beautiful. Put the disc in and the install wasn't that long...or maybe it's something else? Also how do I get the paper trail dlc? Haven't receieved any notification for an update, and I know my internet isn't that fast that it could download a few gigs in less than 10 minutes. Should I restart my ps4 or something?

Why does sucker punch such so badly at ambient noise? The other games had it but you'd think it would be improved by now considering how crazy high in quality they went on visuals and a lot of smaller details. The city is so quiet and sounds lifeless. Stick a bit of street noise in there, damn. It's hardly a game breaker but I love some good ambient sound in games.

It's so weird reading this criticism, because I remember reading this EACT same complaint about Infamous 2 on this forum.

10 mins in and this game is already incredibly beautiful. Put the disc in and the install wasn't that long...or maybe it's something else? Also how do I get the paper trail dlc? Haven't receieved any notification for an update, and I know my internet isn't that fast that it could download a few gigs in less than 10 minutes. Should I restart my ps4 or something?

Did you install the latest optional firmware update for PS4? 1.62 I think. I noticed that my patch for Infamous didn't download until I installed 1.62 and rebooted my PS4.

It's not super smooth like some people who got it early were claiming but to call it GTAV is hyperbole at its finest.

I would agree with this, however I am seeing a lot of slowdowns. Maybe it is because I game on my PC 90% of the time but I can definitely see the drops. Only part that had really awful frame rate is
during the first Cole's Legacy mission where you are following the fish stickers. The fram erate literally chugged the entire time I was fighting guys in that wooded area. It must have dropped to 20fps or so for sure, I am normally pretty good at being able to tell.
Anyone else have frame rate issues there?

Other than that the presentation is great and it isn't ruining my experience, however I just hope they can patch out the slow downs and lock the frames to 30 for that buttery smooth Infamous experience I want.

Played it for a couple of hours now. Very pretty. Lovely lighting. But it's a bit repetitive. Much more than the previous games.

Throw fire. Climb on roof. Recharge from smoke tower. Throw more fire. Repeat 2 dozen times. Bad guys cleared down a bit? Throw fire at truck for a but then climb on roof. Use unnecessarily complex button slide combination to blow up truck. Go to next area and repeat.

I hope it changes up a gear a bit. It's not toppled AC4 and Outlast as the two best titles in my PS4 collection.

I admit that the game can feel a bit repetitive. I am up to the point were I'm about to get my second power and while I'm still having fun I can see how you can get a sense of déjà vu with the combat. However I hope that getting my second power will change that.

I suggest that you try to mix up your combat for variety. I try to make full use of all my powers and that is far more enjoyable. I believe that it makes me more effective too. So while you can whittle down the enemies from a distance, for more fun dash in for some melee too.
Use the charged shotgun shot up close to hit multiple enemies. Use the dive/pound the ground ability to stun/damage multiple foes as an opener.
In fact I believe that the smoke power set was designed to be used more close up.

Megasoum

Banned
Ughh... So I bought the game on PSN a while ago. I started the download via the website while at work this morning and it said "Downloaded" on the website for both the game and all the DLC.

Now when I look in the notification center on the PS4 I see that the game and the patch are downloaded fine but all the DLC says "Can't download" with the error: CE-32920-6. Looking on google, looks like a lot of people are having this issue but can't find a solution.

leng jai

I would agree with this, however I am seeing a lot of slowdowns. Maybe it is because I game on my PC 90% of the time but I can definitely see the drops. Only part that had really awful frame rate is
during the first Cole's Legacy mission where you are following the fish stickers. The fram erate literally chugged the entire time I was fighting guys in that wooded area. It must have dropped to 20fps or so for sure, I am normally pretty good at being able to tell.

Other than that the presentation is great and it isn't ruining my experience, however I just hope they can patch out the slow downs and lock the frames to 30 for that buttery smooth Infamous experience I want.

The game seems to have an odd stutter at times when you pan the camera and the framerate pretty much tanks whenever you use a karma streak power.

Ughh... So I bought the game on PSN a while ago. I started the download via the website while at work this morning and it said "Downloaded" on the website for both the game and all the DLC.

Now when I look in the notification center on the PS4 I see that the game and the patch are downloaded fine but all the DLC says "Can't download" with the error: CE-32920-6. Looking on google, looks like a lot of people are having this issue but can't find a solution.

turn your system off/on or restart your internet within the ps4, same thing happen to me midnight last night , but i just resetting my internet again and it all worked!!

Nope. I just played that mission yesterday. Outside of triggering off a karma bomb which can send the framerate careening with all of the particle effects, it ran smoothly for me. Outside of rare instances where heavy stuff was going on, the game never felt anything but smooth to me. I'm also a heavy PC gamer that puts priority on 60fps. That having been said, I would have liked a locked 30fps option.

Megasoum

Banned
What are all those addons that came with the Limited Edition? I know about Cole's Legacy and I can guess for "Cole's Jacket" lol but what's up with EXIST, JOS, Penny Arcade and iam8bit?

man this game is crazy fun. Haven't really done much main missions. Just being exploring the city and doing side missions although I think I'm about to get my 2nd power :).

SRTtoZ

How does one get the papertrail mission? I made an account and did all the silly quizzes and got Karma, but how does the site know my PSN?

People have had this problem earlier in the thread. They said that issue is a false warning. The DLC has already been downloaded, however the game isn't finished. When the DLC tries to install the games not ready and it gives an error. When the game is installed the DLC will be too automatically do not worry.

Nope. I just played that mission yesterday. Outside of triggering off a karma bomb which can send the framerate careening with all of the particle effects, it ran smoothly for me. Outside of rare instances where heavy stuff was going on, the game never felt anything but smooth to me. I'm also a heavy PC gamer that puts priority on 60fps. That having been said, I would have liked a locked 30fps option.

Strage, mine didn't have problems till I got to
that wooded area with lots of DUP right before the data recorder
I have the video on my PS4 though I shared it because it was so chuggy. Perhaps I will actually upload this one for once. Maybe it's just my PS4 or some weird scenario though. Who knows.

Megasoum

Banned
People have had this problem earlier in the thread. They said that issue is a false warning. The DLC has already been downloaded, however the game isn't finished. When the DLC tries to install the games not ready and it gives an error. When the game is installed the DLC will be too automatically do not worry.

Ah yeah ok that makes sense (in a twisted Sony way lol).

Mesharey

I think also because the "full" game hasn't been downloaded yet? The size was around 5 GB when I played it first then turned it off, now it says 21 GB.

Handy Fake

Bit confused about people complaining of stuttering, Couple hours in and it's been as smooth as gravy. Perhaps it's an install thing? We left ours to install fully.

What are all those addons that came with the Limited Edition? I know about Cole's Legacy and I can guess for "Cole's Jacket" lol but what's up with EXIST, JOS, Penny Arcade and iam8bit?

EXIST, JOS, Penny Arcade and iam8bit are all designs for your vest. You can change the design in the options menu.

Man, the civilians in this are really immersion breaking, they're incredibly silly. Not that I've ever seen any open world game do that even remotely well, but still, I expected a little better there.

At any rate, this is my first InFamous game and the super powers are pretty awesome so far, story is also interesting enough although they're trying a biiiiit too hard to make Delsin look cool.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned yet: Don't wait until your controller dies before you charge it, the game won't auto-pause for you if you disconnect. I found that out the hard way.

Strage, mine didn't have problems till I got to
that wooded area with lots of DUP right before the data recorder
I have the video on my PS4 though I shared it because it was so chuggy. Perhaps I will actually upload this one for once. Maybe it's just my PS4 or some weird scenario though. Who knows.

Yeah do it. I'd be curious to see what happened. I reached the same point with no issues outside of my dropping a Karma bomb.:D

Just started the game like 3 minutes ago

This motion control thing at the beginning is fantastic, and the little speaker on the controller making noise when you shake it messed with my head. It actually felt really cool to use, and I'm not a fan of motion gimmicks in the slightest.

TheDude108

Unbelievably pretty game.
ntj97oS.jpg

Sup lads.
r9RwsRK.jpg

leng jai

For every hyped AAA game there's always hundreds of posts of seemingly impatient people cursing Amazon/Fedex/UPS that they haven't got their game yet. Surely if you want to play a game on day one you'd go out and buy the physical copy especially for a Friday release. I know there are some people who don't have places near them but I seriously doubt that even accounts for half the posts.

Kyoufu

Remember how we thought the city felt "dead" just like New Marais was in I2?

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be the case.

m@cross

Putting in my codes and patching it, about to start it up. Pretty cool that my Conduit Testing Kit arrived in the mail today as well. 91% likely I am a conduit and smoke type, Boom!

Rsinart

About 6-7 hours in and this game is a great reason to buy a PS4 if you haven't yet. Game looks incredible, game play is smooth, does some cool things with the touch pad, and the controller. That graffiti part, really makes me want a Getting Up 2 game. So far I am impressed. Think playing the evil side of things is better, not sure how I would not kill any pedestrians playing good. O well back I go.

Redmoon

Already took like 50 Screens in the 10 minutes Ive been playing. Such a nice looking world.

Just hate that share pauses the game every-single-time...

Top Bottom