• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Carl

With the aiming float power up for power three, you could stay in the air for minutes I imagine.

Easiest way to do it is just get smoke, find one of the roof vents that boosts you in the air, and keep boosing into the same one without touching the ground. That's how i did it :p

Slixshot

Banned
First inFamous game, just finished as mostly evil. I think I'm at the level before evil, but I completed the game. There were two choices where I chose good just because I felt like a dick otherwise.
Chose to spare Betty at beginning, and didn't corrupt Eugene.

Speaking of, 3rd power spoiler:
When Eugene stuff started happening I was thinking things were getting a little too weird, and that boss fight looked epic, but got old fast. Wasn't a big fan of the boss fights either. Every boss fight was just spam R1 power until they die.

Also, I think this is early game but I'll spoiler anyway
the certain D.U.P. soldiers that are really buffed? Like they look like mostly rock? Fuck them they suck. Their charges were annoying, and you would just kill them with R1 just like bosses.

Aside from that, it was a really good game. It's gorgeous, and I also usually can't do sandboxes. I get distracted and never finish missions. Made it through with this one, although the story was pretty average.

I'd probably give it an 8-8.5. It's an AMAZING sandbox, and I can see myself still sinking hours into it since I have only one district cleared. The full game is good, but there's some nitpicks I have that bring it down ever so slightly. Still, if I didn't have a PS4 already, this would be a system seller

Well said. Felt the exact same way. 8.5.

Gusto

Oh man, not being able to disable DS4 speaker is shitty as hell, I've been playing on headphone mix to turn it off.

You know that you can turn the volume all the way down right? It only makes the noises for the shards, powers and maybe 1 audio log. I kinda wish they had used it more.

viveks86

What the…

1956869_1422590444656091_937734447_o.jpg

JohngPR

Played it for a few hours and I'm totally digging it. The traversal gets real fun once you unlock Neon. I'll spoiler tag any other powers other than Smoke and Neon since they never mentioned any of the others pre-release.

It's better in pretty much every way compared to other inFamous games but if you hated the series previously, I'm not sure if enough is different for you to do a complete turnaround. Me being a big fan, I'm very happy with it. smiles.gif

Delsin has more of a personality than Cole. Initially, I thought that Delsin was going to be a bit of a tool but they did a good job of humanizing him. He has some funny lines as well.

From a tech stand point, it's the best looking game I've seen on next gen consoles so far. It also has one of the better implementations of Anti-aliasing I've seen. There's very little jaggies

Just played for a couple of hours and tested the audio through the Yamaha's HS50 monitor speakers. I suggest to put the dialog down a notch or two to enjoy the amazing audio this game has. The dialog on Max clashes with the sound effects and score at times. I have it down one notch and its perfect. Perfect example was when it started raining for the first time and Del engaged in a conversation with his brother that escalated in tone. While that conversation is happening, the fire, the score, rain drops and other background effects doesn't get overshadow by the dialog and every effect gets to shine compared to when you have the dialog on default. On default the raindrops are barely audible and other background effects as well. I raised the db's to +7 and man the audio truly pops without any sort of clipping. Great job by SB on the audio department for this game.

A litlle help needed:

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but early in the game, I'm stuck in the section where you have to "defeat D.U.P. reinforcements" or something like that. It's the part after you take out the RV/tanker (whatever it is) and then a massive guy with a big gun starts chasing after you. No matter what I do, he takes me out with one or two shots. Is there a certain power I should be upgrading to? A certain technique I should be using?

This is my first inFamous, so please be kind. :)

Thanks!

Jedi2016

Just got the third power.
Can't say I'm feeling it. Once I got Neon, I was mostly about traversal and got really good at moving around with it (Endless Speed is so OP.. lol), and this feels like a step back. Damage is higher, but less likely for subdue attacks. I can see this being more useful on an Evil playthrough since it does seem more damage-oriented (and a higher number of the skills require Evil karma). Maybe I'll use it more on my next playthrough, but I imagine I'll be using Neon more than anything else once I finish the game and go back to tick off the 100% checkboxes.

Oh, and fuck that boss fight for the third power, too. That got real old, real fast. I got the gist pretty quickly what I needed to do, it's just the game made me do it over and over and over and over and over again. That fight was at least twice as long as it needed to be.
If they had done maybe half in/half out, it would have worked easier. It also bugged me a bit how Delsin never asked Eugene, after helping him through the previous sections and even saving his life, suddenly doing everything he can to kill him, as if he suddenly changed his mind about Delsin being on his side. And then they were all bros again afterward.

Carbonox

So I beat the game. Story is way shorter than I would have liked but there is still plenty of stuff to still do so that I'm occupied.

Have to say, Delsin's one of my favourite characters of the last few years. Cole was a terribad character so I'm very impressed with the cast in this game.

Third power's main traversal method is the fucking tits though. Absolutely love using it.

Hindl

Just a few more quick things. I'm impressed with the amount of bugs/glitches, I only found one major one through the entire game. No game-related spoilers but I may as well spoiler the area. It's right before the 3rd power. I guess technically it's the start of the third power mission.

There's this one area where there's a bunch of big flat screen TVs set up on the sides of buildings at an intersection. Like where all the angels and demons start popping out. (At this point I started having doubts, where was this game going?) Anyway, if you manage to get behind one of the TVs to the supports against the side of the building, Delson just gets stuck there. He floats around and there's no way to get out. Had to reload
. Other than that I saw nothing. I'm sure more will come out as more play the game but I gotta hand it to SP for making such a big game with almost no bugs. And the poster above me is right the anti-aliasing is incredible. I only had a few cases of shadow pop in it's a visual knockout.

Also they really built every inch of the world to be able to be traversed in any way. My favorite was probably 3rd power, then Neon. When I first got neon, I thought it sucked compared to smoke, but then I hated going back to smoke after because the other two seemed so much better.

Oh and that reminded me of the biggest problem I had with the game.
You can use any of your powers at whim throughout the whole city. But when it comes time for certain events, like the first fight with Augustine or climbing the tower, they just shove you back into smoke. It just pissed me off that they would take away that choice. I know they probably had to for design reasons, but it still sucked.

And slightly related, I always hated the first 5-10 minutes after you got a new power. You were arbitrarily stripped of your powers, and you basically have to wait for the game to spoon feed you new abilities with your new power.Kinda sucked, especially since they were all different versions of the same thing. They felt different enough but still.

I never played the other two, so can anyone tell me how many endings there are? Like is there just Good, Evil and Neutral? Or are there different levels of each? Like is me choosing some of the good choices make me not get the full Evil Ending?

Slixshot

Banned
Replaying as Evil. I really like how this game has two options. It's like experiencing a new story (kind of) and the changes in powers keeps things fresh. It's actually increasing the game's score in my mind.

LiveWire

How do you put on different jackets? I'm 4 or 5 districts in and I've unlocked at least one jacket but I can't find where to enable it.

PBY

Banned
One more thing- playing "evil" and it doesn't make ANY sense from a character motivation standpoint lol. But whatever, it's just weirdly contradictory, but it's worth being able to headshot

What the…

1956869_1422590444656091_937734447_o.jpg

Lol I've seen that before, except the car was moving while inside the ground and sideways.

I also made citizens commit suicide. I was just standing on a railing that had an alleyway drop on the other side.
Citizens kept taking pictures of me and jumping off. Some citizens managed to die just by tripping over too.

One more thing- playing "evil" and it doesn't make ANY sense from a character motivation standpoint lol. But whatever, it's just weirdly contradictory, but it's worth being able to headshot

As neon right? That's why I like smoke for good guys. Smoke headshots auto subdue, and then subdue heals you.

Anyone have trouble with their screenshots? When I go into my screenshots folder on my system, it's all over the place. Some don't preview, some do. Scrolling through with L1/R1 is laggy and broken. Seems like if I hit X on the screenshot to bring up the details, then back out and then preview it fullscreen, it works. Never remember having this problem before...

Slime

Banned
How do you put on different jackets? I'm 4 or 5 districts in and I've unlocked at least one jacket but I can't find where to enable it.

You go to the tab on the pause menu with Delsin's psych profile or whatever, and flip through the jackets with the d-pad.

It's in the pause menu, press L2/R2 to the screen with Delsin then X and then left/right with dpad if I'm not mistaken. They've sorta hidden it behind a bunch of button presses but it's there.

StuBurns

Banned
Why do you want to disable it? 5.1 is AWESOME!
I really hate that little speaker, it sounds like ass, and it's super distracting.

I've just found the OS level volume though, so it's gone forever now, rad.

It's funny, I never looked because games like Resogun have a separate option for it.

Just got the third power.
Can't say I'm feeling it. Once I got Neon, I was mostly about traversal and got really good at moving around with it (Endless Speed is so OP.. lol), and this feels like a step back. Damage is higher, but less likely for subdue attacks. I can see this being more useful on an Evil playthrough since it does seem more damage-oriented (and a higher number of the skills require Evil karma). Maybe I'll use it more on my next playthrough, but I imagine I'll be using Neon more than anything else once I finish the game and go back to tick off the 100% checkboxes.

Oh, and fuck that boss fight for the third power, too. That got real old, real fast. I got the gist pretty quickly what I needed to do, it's just the game made me do it over and over and over and over and over again. That fight was at least twice as long as it needed to be.
If they had done maybe half in/half out, it would have worked easier. It also bugged me a bit how Delsin never asked Eugene, after helping him through the previous sections and even saving his life, suddenly doing everything he can to kill him, as if he suddenly changed his mind about Delsin being on his side. And then they were all bros again afterward.
I hate the third power. The melee attack is so slow, I end up having the grey bleed out screen going on if there's more than one enemy I'm fighting against, and the firing just feels so weak(maybe that's just me). I'm sure it's better playing Evil, but on good/hero, it just sucks.

And yeah, that boss fight was ridiculously long. Glad it wasn't just me. Thought for sure I was doing it wrong. When you reach the first checkpoint, I thought that was it. "Thank god I don't have to deplete all their health bar."

Nope.

Jedi2016

Switch to the character tab in the pause menu, X to bring up the data on Delsin, and then left/right on the d-pad to switch vests. I've got the bonus ones from Amazon, but they're not really worth a damn, so I'm just sticking to the default one.

Sadly the Evil ending of I2 was planned to be canon going into this game but they saw trophy data and changed their minds.

I like that they changed the characters but I don't like that they catered to Good route players. :(

Is their own fault that their evil options are outright laughable to choose from. I mean, the last big karma change option is
killing somebody while his daughter is earing in the distance.
I think there are only two or three karma decisions that are actually thought provoking in the whole franchise
that Infamous 2 last decision

Maybe is because I'm a good route player but I like how they catered to me gameplay wise with the orbital drops :p

I just completed my good playthrough. I got all the trophies needed and now just need to run Evil on expert next to get the platinum. Wow what a fucking game. I enjoyed it. Delsin is a great character imo, he has that confidence about him that I find great. His humor gave me a few chuckles throughout. Overall, all the characters were good, the powers are just awesome. 9/10 from me. Looking forward to DLC.

How about them
D.U.P. raid alerts?
I wasn't expecting them.
Yeah, those and
the exclamation marks and stuff, missions given to you by the reporter that revealed the truth in InFamous 2
More missions? I've finished the game and spent around 45mins polishing up district stuff, and not seen any. If so, this may improve my opinion on it :D

Yup,
D.U.P Raids
and others that appear on the map like
exclamation marks and the form of a bird

Gotta Say that when I finished the game, I had all the collectables already.

gl0w

Just finished the game (main story) with good karma, but I didn't reached to Hero, and before I start a new game session on evil side I need to know if we get any good reward for reaching Hero status, or if it is relevant in anyhow.

Regarding the powers, I just want to say that Sucker Punch did a really good job with those and they are very original. Congrats for that!

Strider

I was watching some gameplay and it seems as though the city is pretty empty. Is there are story reasoning behind it?

There are people with super powers running around the city and these people are referred to as "bio-terrorists." So the fear keeps people from roaming around the city and that's why the city feels lifeless.

Hindl

I dunno. I was playing slightly evil at the beginning, and thought this really doesn't make sense. The next part is spoilered, it's after you unlock the 3rd power and are starting to wrap up toward the end.
When Hand gets you to attack the island, and then everything happens with that. Then Augustine starts shouting to Seattle citizens to take down the Conduits. I dunno if it was because I was already a bit evil, but after that random citizens would come up and attack me. After that point, I was like, fuck these people. Now I murder everyone I see with no mercy. Do the citizens do that to good too?

Slixshot

Banned
Wow. I just obliterated one of the DUP Command centers with the neon ultimate. It was so satisfying after dying a handful of times trying to get it. This game just gets better and better... even after having beaten it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
There are people with super powers running around the city and these people are referred to as "bio-terrorists." So the fear keeps people from roaming around the city and that's why the city feels lifeless.

Until you rid districts of the DUP then the citizens come out in numbers.

Carl

One thing, the Neon karmic superpower is OP as fuck lol. One surefire way to take over a centre quickly is to get your karmic superpower then jump in the middle and blast it off. I took out 22 guys with one attack earlier, haha.

k4n3

Banned
this is the first infamous i played as a bad guy first idk for some reason it felt right for the character to me lol .... was pretty short and easy but i did just come from playing dark souls 2 :O

Pop

Just finished the game (main story) with good karma, but I didn't reached to Hero, and before I start a new game session on evil side I need to know if we get any good reward for reaching Hero status, or if it is relevant in anyhow.

Regarding the powers, I just want to say that Sucker Punch did a really good job with those and they are very original. Congrats for that!

A trophy if you care about them.

So do we know if the paper trail missions are all coming out at once or is this what is coming over the next 5 weeks? I'm asking cause I just completed mission two, checked the website,
went through all the data but can't find the number to track.
I'm guessing it's needed to move on.

A litlle help needed:

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but early in the game, I'm stuck in the section where you have to "defeat D.U.P. reinforcements" or something like that. It's the part after you take out the RV/tanker (whatever it is) and then a massive guy with a big gun starts chasing after you. No matter what I do, he takes me out with one or two shots. Is there a certain power I should be upgrading to? A certain technique I should be using?

This is my first inFamous, so please be kind. :)

Thanks!

Spoilering my tactic, just in case...
Try hitting and running. You need to shoot off his armor bits first, then you can damage him. Once he cocoons up, run up and subdue him. The game seems pretty generous with letting you dash away and hide to regen health, so do it as often as needed.

Paper Trail site seems to be working fine for me, they must have fixed it. (or not, I dunno...)

Not quite sure what to do with the evidence stuff that's been uploaded to the site.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Paper Trail site seems to be working fine for me, they must have fixed it. (or not, I dunno...)

Not quite sure what to do with the evidence stuff that's been uploaded to the site.

Looks like it might actually be fixed, I just went and was able to load the different pages.

Spoiler question regarding powers
does concrete not have a karmic special? if so that really sucks

Sadly, no. :(

Just finished on the good side and finished all the side stuff. I still need to trophy hunt a bit and do an evil expert play through. On the good side neon is my favorite by a large margin (to the point that I rarely use anything else unless I am forced to), the travel skills are great and slow down while aiming is amazing.

If you don't get the slowdown as evil I imagine it won't be all that great. May have to give the 3rd power a bit more of a try.

I had read the game was pretty easy, but I thought Delsin was fragile enough that normal battles could get rough. That may be because I don't really like cover.

vypek

I had read the game was pretty easy, but I thought Delsin was fragile enough that normal battles could get rough. That may be because I don't really like cover.

I feel exactly the same. I think some combat aspects of the game still have room for improvement

Also, does anyone know what to do with the
signal tracker
on the paper trail website?

Spoilering my tactic, just in case...
Try hitting and running. You need to shoot off his armor bits first, then you can damage him. Once he cocoons up, run up and subdue him. The game seems pretty generous with letting you dash away and hide to regen health, so do it as often as needed.
Thank you! Will try that. I was doing the
run and dash (without much success)
- didn't realize I had to
go after his armor first

ron_bato

Done with my good playthrough as well. This was probably the most fun I've had in a while with a game. I can't say enough about the improvement in the story, writing and the acting. Everybody really nails down their performances, and it really keeps you engaged in the story.

Things never really got repetitive for me in terms of the main story, although the side "missions", I never really bothered with too much unless I had to or when I just want to screw around with the powers. I wouldn't really bother with them except for the fact the gameplay is so good, that I don't mind going through the repetitive process of clearing areas out etc.

Top Bottom