• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

viveks86

Amazing game. I just wish the automatic last 15 minutes footage wasn't so broken with this game. I took out a chopper on showdown with the Smoke karmic special, and it looked glorious. Sadly, I couldn't share the clip.

Still, I'm loving it.

One question for those who have beaten it, I've done 4 showdowns and my map shows areas left to take, but my Trophy didn't unlock for doing half of them, so am I to assume the city will expand and have an addition to the map with more areas later on?

That sucks! I still don't understand what the hell is wrong with the share button and why it consistently works for me. I'm yet to have a problem with it! *knocks on wood*

Mengetsu

Some advice for the secret agent sidequest. If you just stay on a roof area when you take on the quest and L2 around and see the person just look at them and shoot your R1 power and they will die in one hit without even getting a chance to run.

Also I smiled everytime I did a spray paint quest. Loved the controls and the art is so good.

That sucks! I still don't understand what the hell is wrong with the share button and why it consistently works for me. I'm yet to have a problem with it! *knocks on wood*

Yeah man, it's always been great for me as well. It's just on this game, I'm opening the share menu and it's showing 15 minute recordings from hours back.

BadAss2961

Did they change the combat designer for this game.

Man, AI is annoying as hell. I dont like the fact enemies appear from vacum and shoot from all directions. I like the previous infamous where the AI spawn before the combat starts and it allows me to stratergize before the combat starts. Is this the Halo guy who left Sucker punch recently ?.

Other than combat every thing feels great. Hopefully they will go back and drop this stupid 360 degree AI spawn idea.
It works for this game because Delsin can run and teleport all over the place. He's much less tactical than Cole.

This game encourages you to move a lot. Notice how there's not even a cover option this time -- at least not that i've seen yet.

Kssio_Aug

Today I could just try the game, then I showed it to my girlfriend and my mom, they were both shocking impressed by the IQ. They were amzed and surprised to see the point that videogames reached nowadays. And, honestly, me too! Its amazing what sucker punch did with it, specially for a open world game!!

Knowing the gameplay by inFamous 1 and 2, and those amazing graphics, alltogheter; I just think its hard to believe it should deserve less then a 8/10. For it to deserve a 6/10 or a 3/5 it, imo, have to fail in its gameplay... but I dont think it is the case. This media seems full of bs lately; however I cant say for sure right now (but im itching to play).

tuna_love

Banned
Today I could just try the game, then I showed it to my girlfriend and my mom, they were both shocking impressed by the IQ. They were amzed and surprised to see the point that videogames reached nowadays. And, honestly, me too! Its amazing what sucker punch did with it, specially for a open world game!!

Knowing the gameplay by inFamous 1 and 2, and those amazing graphics, alltogheter; I just think its hard to believe it should deserve less then a 8/10. For it to deserve a 6/10 or a 3/5 it, imo, have to fail in its gameplay... but I dont think it is the case. This media seems full of bs lately; however I cant say for sure right now (but im itching to play).
For fucks sakes who cares that someone didn't enjoy it as much as you? Would you prefer a reviewer just ask their mum and girl friend what score it should get?

viveks86

Also I smiled everytime I did a spray paint quest. Loved the controls and the art is so good.

Yeah same here. The motion controls work flawlessly. Love the sounds and vibration of the spray can in the controller. And the art is adorable.

I actually like all the side missions except secret agent and drug busts. All the others have some personality. The showdowns have the prank calls, the graffiti is quite creative, the hidden cameras are a good distraction, the drones are addictive as hell (every time i hear that distinctive beep, I abandon the main mission to get my fix!) and the audio logs are so well done. Secret agent missions are boring and drug busts are just terribly repetitive with some of the worst AI I have ever seen. Take note, SP! Overall, I'm quite happy with the side missions.

Renekton

I just think its hard to believe it should deserve less then a 8/10. For it to deserve a 6/10 or a 3/5 it, imo, have to fail in its gameplay... but I dont think it is the case. This media seems full of bs lately; however I cant say for sure right now (but im itching to play).
This game is 9/10 to me.

You can't win em all, and probably reviewers are suffering from open world fatigue - they just went through the excellent GTAV, AC4 and DR3. I don't think Sessler has any ill intentions but it was likely just his honest opinion at the time.

Kssio_Aug

For fucks sakes who cares that someone didn't enjoy it as much as you? Would you prefer a reviewer just ask their mum and girl friend what score it should get?

And I said that?
For someone who is defending a "who cares with different opinions" position, you seems very affected by my point of view!

After about 4 hours with this game, up to my 2nd power, mostly just clearing out the first island, I gotta say I like it a lot. There are things I'd improve, but it's still a pretty solid game. The "pew pew pew" of combat isn't as dull as it started to look in some of the footage leading up to launch.

After about 4 hours with this game, up to my 2nd power, mostly just clearing out the first island, I gotta say I like it a lot. There are things I'd improve, but it's still a pretty solid game. The "pew pew pew" of combat isn't as dull as it started to look in some of the footage leading up to launch.

This is the first infamous game that made me actually enjoy fighting with enemies.

Slixshot

Banned
Just got the third power on my evil playthrough (already did Hero). I am loving this game more than I did the first go through... and I have no idea why. This game is excellent. Sure, the missions are often the same, but they're FUN and that's what really matters.

Edit: Also, I love how the cinematics are in game and they change the jacket depending on what you're wearing. Cole Legacy jacket is rockin \m/

coldone

It works for this game because Delsin can run and teleport all over the place. He's much less tactical than Cole.

This game encourages you to move a lot. Notice how there's not even a cover option this time -- at least not that i've seen yet.

I had similar issue/bad vibe with KZ:SF too. I just suspect it is some thing to do with combat designers taking inspiration from one another inside WWS.

I really hope, Sony WWS will move away from this idea of spawning enemies in mid-combat. Especially AI that are spawn behind are really annoying. PS3 games like Uncharted, Infamous1/2, KZ:2 etc had very good combat design. Where there was no mid combat AI Spawn.

hydruxo

I like how the lightbar changes different shades of red and blue based on your karma level. Thought that was a neat little addition.

DNAbro

Just finished my good play through and holy crap that ending. Visually it was the most impressive thing I've seen in a game.

Absolutely loved it though I can see why it got the review scores it got.

David___

Banned
BjY8wrRIIAA4tGH.jpg

BjY9c1nIUAA-UTd.jpg

D'aww

I said the same thing! The audio logs in this game are fantastic! They were my favorite side missions. I also had the same thought that in the next game or for DLC Delsin will go to
Curdun Cay
. Seeing both endings and hearing the audio logs solidified that opinion even more.

Exactly, I just finished my 100% good Karma run today (I am doing a 100% evil run tomorrow for platinum).
One of the last audio logs I found talks about how Agustine was obsessed with how many powers you could gain. It talks about how she was worried if you ever made it to Curdun Cay you would get glass, wire, paper, "and a whole list of other powers". If nothing else I can definitely see Second Son Two (horrible I know idk what else to call it) heading in that direction.

fedexpeon

Banned
Anyone knows how to make the sound louder/evenly for surround sound?
This is the same crap that I kept getting with AC4 too.
Tried Linear PCM and bi-stream setting, but my surround system isn't pick up the "middle" part of the speaker.
All voices are going into L/R speakers, all the music/effects are evenly played out...

MavFan619

Banned
Just got the third power on my evil playthrough (already did Hero). I am loving this game more than I did the first go through... and I have no idea why. This game is excellent. Sure, the missions are often the same, but they're FUN and that's what really matters.

Edit: Also, I love how the cinematics are in game and they change the jacket depending on what you're wearing. Cole Legacy jacket is rockin m/
Yeah I have no problem with the side stuff because I have so much fun doing all of it. Also enjoying what I got up to in Paper Trail, it has me hooked for the upcoming content.

Krakn3Dfx

Haven't had a chance to play yet, too deep into Dark Souls 2 still, but since we got it from Amazon yesterday my son has burned through the game as hero and is playing through now as evil, he can't stop talking about how great it is.

Eveytime I walk in the room and see it on the screen, I'm pretty in awe by just how amazing it looks though. First game I've seen outside of a modded PC game like Skyrim that really makes me think next generation.

Cess007

How do I mark the houseboats?

I had a bug when i was in that mission: i wasn't able to mark them in anyway and had to restart the game. After finding the stack of drugs, in the same houseboat check for the place were the guy with the sniper/red laser gun was, and an icon with the spray can will appear.

Edit. On-Topic:
Neon special
power is just fucking awesome.

todd360

I'm having fun but I really don't feel invested in the story. Infamous 2 I was all about. The threat on the horizon made it seem really tense. Note I only just got
neon powers
so I'm not really far yet. Hopefully the story gets better soon.

viveks86

How do I mark the houseboats?

The stash is usually on one side of the boat. Find and open it. After that, climb on to the second level of that boat. There will be an icon there for you to tag the boat. Only the boats with the stash need to be tagged. There are 3 of them IIRC. I think 2 of those boats also have hostages that you need to free before you can spray paint. You will hear them screaming behind a door on the first level (Delsin will mention it as you walk past the door to get to the second level)

I had a bug when i was in that mission, i wasn't able to mark them in anyway and had to restart the game. After finding the stack of drugs, in the same houseboat check for the place were the guy with the sniper/red laser gun was, and a icon with the spray can will appear.
Well, shit. After I worked hard on clearing out all the enemies too.

Just fought my first boss battle and defeated him after about 4 tries. This was tons of fun, perhaps the greatest part of the game for me and it didn't bother me that I died a few times. Just used my neon powers plus the slowmo thing to aim his head while constantly dodging his attacks. Was awesome!

Is there more to combat than mashing the square button?

Wow playing with evil karma is a ton of fun. It's so satisfying laying waste to everything and everyone without worrying about hitting civilians. Also I was pleased to see some alternate dialogue in cutscenes addressing what a giant dick I'm being.

Oh yeah it's also nice to see that if you start a new game you get to keep all the vests you unlocked in your other playthrough. Cole's jacket goes very well with evil Delsin.

Did you try all the steps I mentioned? Defeating the enemies alone won't do.
Yeah I finally realized that the spray paint icon wasn't actually floating like every other icon in the game up to this point and it was in the other side of the damn houseboat and high up.

viveks86

Wow playing with evil karma is a ton of fun. It's so satisfying laying waste to everything and everyone without worrying about hitting civilians. Also I was pleased to see some alternate dialogue in cutscenes addressing what a giant dick I'm being.

Oh yeah it's also nice if you start a new game you get to keep all the vests/jacket you unlocked in your other playthrough.

Nice! Can't wait to beat up those sign spinners!

Slixshot

Banned
I'm having fun but I really don't feel invested in the story. Infamous 2 I was all about. The threat on the horizon made it seem really tense. Note I only just got
neon powers
so I'm not really far yet. Hopefully the story gets better soon.

It gets better. By the end, it's built up enough to the point that you're ready to kick some ass.

Oh yeah it's also nice to see that if you start a new game you get to keep all the vests you unlocked in your other playthrough. Cole's jacket goes very well with evil Delsin.

right?? SP did a very good job making the morality feel different in this game. I am a bad person. My actions show it, dialogue says it, and morality meter reads "evil". Gotta love it!

Love this game so far. Not very far with the missions, but focused mainly on clearing all the districts. Only complaint so far are the damn secret agent missions.

BjY5LlZCEAAH-Pk.jpg

It's hard to see, but the menu has some pretty funny things on it.

Trips inFamous Sandwich.

Smoky Ham

Neon Chicken

BBQ Zeke

SuckerPuncher Sandwich

BjZJRv5CMAAyWNi.jpg

Such a fun game.

No Love

Banned
Fuck, remote play is so impressive with this game. Even 150+ miles away from home it looks beautiful and plays with minimal input lag.

viveks86

right?? SP did a very good job making the morality feel different in this game. I am a bad person. My actions show it, dialogue says it, and morality meter reads "evil". Gotta love it!

But but but… that is such an old morality system! Everything should be gray and ambiguous now, like real life. It's not next gen enough! We need moar ludonarrative dissonance!

Jomjom

Banned
This game looks freaking amazing. Playing it has made me thirst for what a Sony 1st party game will look like 3 years from now.

Just had a civilian snap my pic with his phone and ask if I needed a personal assistant. Another one saw me running and parkouring and she yelled out "you're the second coming of Cole!" Haha. I love those little touches.

Top Bottom