• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

DJ88

I was so close to hitting the buy button on PSN but decided to hold off for now. Quick question I really need answered.

How long will the limited edition be on up on PSN? Will it downgrade to the standard after a while?

Slixshot

Banned
I was so close to hitting the buy button on PSN but decided to hold off for now. Quick question I really need answered.

How long will the limited edition be on up on PSN? Will it downgrade to the standard after a while?

tumblr_lzgui18XwB1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Join us... JOIN US!!

I haven't read anything on a precise date for the limited edition other than that it's a "limited time" offer

ciD_Vain

I've never played the other infamous games but this one has really been on my radar since I got a ps4 as a gift. My concern is I get intimidated by open-world games and tend to find myself lost and/or overwhelmed by what to do. The gameplay looks really fun though and I'd really like to give it a try. I'm just not sure if i would enjoy the whole package.

I've never played the other infamous games but this one has really been on my radar since I got a ps4 as a gift. My concern is I get intimidated by open-world games and tend to find myself lost and/or overwhelmed by what to do. The gameplay looks really fun though and I'd really like to give it a try. I'm just not sure if i would enjoy the whole package.
As far as open world games go I would think this one is one of the less intimidating ones out there in terms of being overwhelmed with stuff to do. The city is broken down into clearly marked districts, each with a central enemy base to take out and then side activities are marked on your map. The vast majority are not necessary to progress in the game (the only thing I would suggest definitely doing is going after blast shards, since that's how you upgrade your dude. They're marked as blue dots on the map, can't miss them.) There is only really ever one story mission at a time to worry about.

I think you'll be fine.

Anyone having trouble with the 170 meter comet drop trophy? I can't seem to find a tall enough building.

The tower where you climbed with Fetch and Eugene to break into and engage in the final boss battle with Augustine. You can climb it after you have completed the game,
just go to that very roof and do the comet drop and the trophy pops instantly.

Dead

well not really...yet
If it was competitive, aiming at a player while they're doing traversal would be ridiculous.
MP for Infamous would be like Phantom Dust!

Fuck now I wish we had gotten that lol. Customize your hero choose one power load out and go at each other...

Wow finally got the third power

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING

That goddamn Angel can burn in hell because that was one of the most annoying and cheap boss battles I've ever endured. Sure, I figured the pattern the 5th time around but dear lord, I HATE THAT BASTARD

Anyways outside of that, This has been quite the experience also Infinite Neon Rush or whatever it's called... GOD TIER TRAVEL.

Hell I like it more than
Video wings

Though I've used
video
a lot recently.

The Lamp

HOLY SHIT AT THE THIRD POWER. JUST HOLY SHIT.

I am in awe at the level of creativity Sucker Punch has.

I can't help but feel a really cool MP side could have come out of this.

I think it might be cool to try next time if they can nail the performance issues that would come up.

The times when I am fighting other strong conduits are moments that seriously feel like I'm in a superhero movie. It is the most fun ever.

Wow finally got the third power

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING

That goddamn Angel can burn in hell because that was one of the most annoying and cheap boss battles I've ever endured. Sure, I figured the pattern the 5th time around but dear lord, I HATE THAT BASTARD

Anyways outside of that, This has been quite the experience also Infinite Neon Rush or whatever it's called... GOD TIER TRAVEL.

Hell I like it more than
Video wings

Though I've used
video
a lot recently.

I don't understand the difficulty with this fight.
I beat it the first try on Expert on my good playthrough. Once you've hit him significantly enough for the platforms to lower it's just rinse and repeat the entire fight.

I'm not really feeling the game anymore. I don't really understand the point of the choice system when the game expects you to pick the same option every time - you might as well just pick "hero" or "villain" before the game starts. The combat is sort of mushy, and I feel like it's hard to do anything without just absorbing a ton of bullets, there's no effective way to dodge. Enemies also feel like they come from all directions after the fight has started.

Also I think this has been mentioned a ton but why does is the audio so muffled?

The Lamp

I'm not really feeling the game anymore. I don't really understand the point of the choice system when the game expects you to pick the same option every time - you might as well just pick "hero" or "villain" before the game starts. The combat is sort of mushy, and I feel like it's hard to do anything without just absorbing a ton of bullets, there's no effective way to dodge. Enemies also feel like they come from all directions after the fight has started.

Also I think this has been mentioned a ton but why does is the audio so muffled?

I generally just wouldn't think about the dinky karma system if I were you.

You Dodge by running away. It's easy with circle button.

Nick

Just beat the game. It gets much better in the second half. I became a fan. Definitely the best looking game out there today. The frame rate on that last boss was killer, though. Dare I think it dipped below 30 fps?

Edit: The game is a solid 7/10. Absolutely wouldn't go higher than that.

I beat it the first try on Expert on my good playthrough. Once you've hit him significantly enough for the platforms to lower it's just rinse and repeat the entire fight.
I think my main problem was I was trying to absorb power sources as he riddled me with that lazer or whatever it was. He just spams the hell out of that attack. Anyways I'm sure I'll do better the next go around.

CryptiK

Just beat the game. It gets much better in the second half. I became a fan. Definitely the best looking game out there today. The frame rate on that last boss was killer, though. Dare I think it dipped below 30 fps?
The frame rate was at its best during the last boss

My DLC still isn't showing up for some reason, are there any sort of troubleshooting tips for this?

I redeemed both Cole's Legacy and the pre-order Jacket codes on the web, but they don't show up in-game.

When I try to manually download the DLC through the dashboard it adds it to Downloads and then says there was an error.

It's not so much that it's hard, it's just really tedious. I think the boss fights in this game are the weakest parts.

jiiikoo

Banned
My DLC still isn't showing up for some reason, are there any sort of troubleshooting tips for this?

I redeemed both Cole's Legacy and the pre-order Jacket codes on the web, but they don't show up in-game.

When I try to manually download the DLC through the dashboard it adds it to Downloads and then says there was an error.

Umm, I downloaded the digital Limited Edition, where can I see the codes? And how do I change my jacket? Got a message saying that I had unlocked a jacket but I couldn't find a way to change it lol. Such a n00b I am

The Lamp

Can we just talk about how much infinitely better of a partner Reggie is than Zeke or Nix or Kuo? I can actually tolerate him and his humor.

I've gone ahead and linked my FB and PSN accounts on the Paper Trail website. So that seems to be working now. We'll see what that does when I play the game.

ron_bato

Regarding the last battle.

I feel so annoyed that I died many cheap deaths lol. I mean, the pattern is easy enough, and I thought I was going to breeze through it. Once Augustine gets to about a quarter of her life, she goes on a rampage and if you get caught in her stomp, it's pretty much over. This was also the only point where I got annoyed by the camera angle, as I got stuck many different times after i dashed under her or something which led to my inevitable death. I do not look forward to this boss in expert haha

Overall I'm very happy with the boss battles in the game compared to the past two games, definitely felt like a huge step up for me.

Hey, for some reason the comet drop trophy isn't pinging for me. Anyone know why? I
climbed that building from the last boss fight, I jumped off, comet dropped to street level. Nothing. Is it because I'm using the Video power or something? What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nvm figured it out

kurbaan

Banned
3/5 is a very average score -- a score that most games probably get under that system. Second Son is not an average game.

I look at it like this...

1/5 = Awful
2/5 = Sucks/Below average
3/5 = average
4/5 = Good
5/5= Great

There's just not enough room in between with a 5 point scale. The score itself can't suggest whether a game is average or above average, great or outstanding.

So what? To him the game is a 3/5 watch the damn review. Everything he says is valid. Just got the game today and I pretty much agree game is 3/5 or 7-8/10

Just got the Neon power and although traversal is great and fun the combat is very average. Fighting those DUP guys is just not that much fun and pretty much after you done it once its just on repeat.

A ton of random dudes shooting from all directions shoot a bunch and then run away to regen health and recharge power. come back and repeat. Even this early into the game I find it to be annoying when an encounter goes on for too long. Even the battle with Neon girl which should have been cool wasn't really fun at all because the combat mechanics are not that great.

Another gripe is so far the first 2 powers feel very similar mechanically (aside from the traversal since the fast wall running is a lot of fun). And Im gonna guess whatever the last 2 powers are will be the same as well since all powers need to provide essentially the same mechanics due to the way the game is structured and you can't really fast switch between them.

There are reasons why Sucker Punch is not on the level of Naughty Dog and SSM. And infamous never reached the heights of Uncharted and GoW

On the plus side the graphics are amazing, traversal is fun and story is engaging (even though so far lotta themes are straight from the XMEN). And the characters models, animation, acting is really great. Kudos to SP on that. Gameplay though just doesn't stack up.

Can we just talk about how much infinitely better of a partner Reggie is than Zeke or Nix or Kuo? I can actually tolerate him and his humor.

This. The characters in this game are far more interesting and engaging than anyone in the first two games. I didn't hate Cole or Zeke or any of the other side characters...but the characters in Second Son are endearing and I found them engaging from the get go. The back and forth between the brothers is really good stuff.

These new characters put the old ones to shame.

ron_bato

Hey I'm right there with you. The Delsin and Reggie dynamic was really great, that relationship was really fleshed out well, and it helps that the acting and animations were topnotch.

DJ88

tumblr_lzgui18XwB1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Join us... JOIN US!!

I haven't read anything on a precise date for the limited edition other than that it's a "limited time" offer

Haha thanks. Damn though, I would easily buy it now but I'm going to be burning through cash this week and it's probably better if I hold off till later. Hope we get some kind of warning when the offer will expire.

Umm, I downloaded the digital Limited Edition, where can I see the codes? And how do I change my jacket? Got a message saying that I had unlocked a jacket but I couldn't find a way to change it lol. Such a n00b I am

You change the jackets in the Options menu by going to the "Rowe, Delsin" part, pressing 'x' and then just using left and right to choose which one you want.

Lingitiz

There are reasons why Sucker Punch is not on the level of Naughty Dog and SSM. And infamous never reached the heights of Uncharted and GoW

It's all subjective, they make very different games. IMO Infamous is more enjoyable than God of War has ever been for me, and on the same level as Uncharted. No developer has nailed fun open world traversal as well as Sucker Punch.

The thing that bores me so quickly with most open world games is how boring actually moving around the world is. I think when I'm pushed to use the fast travel almost exclusively, there's not point for the game to be open world. I haven't used fast travel once in this and I don't really plan to, moving around is too much fun.

damidu

quick post for people on the fence
just couple of hours in and it feels great.

for point of reference.
infamous1 bored me real quick, couldn't complete it.
infamous2 was among my favorites of last gen.

The Lamp

So what? To him the game is a 3/5 watch the damn review. Everything he says is valid. Just got the game today and I pretty much agree game is 3/5 or 7-8/10

Just got the Neon power and although traversal is great and fun the combat is very average. Fighting those DUP guys is just not that much fun and pretty much after you done it once its just on repeat.

A ton of random dudes shooting from all directions shoot a bunch and then run away to regen health and recharge power. come back and repeat. Even this early into the game I find it to be annoying when an encounter goes on for too long. Even the battle with Neon girl which should have been cool wasn't really fun at all because the combat mechanics are not that great.

Another gripe is so far the first 2 powers feel very similar mechanically (aside from the traversal since the fast wall running is a lot of fun). And Im gonna guess whatever the last 2 powers are will be the same as well since all powers need to provide essentially the same mechanics due to the way the game is structured and you can't really fast switch between them.

On the plus side the graphics are amazing, traversal is fun and story is engaging (even though so far lotta themes are straight from the XMEN). And the characters models, animation, acting is really great. Kudos to SP on that. Gameplay though just doesn't stack up.

I completely disagree with everything you said about game play. Personally this is the most pure fun I've had in a game in a long time. Meh.

CLBridges

Been playing this on and off since the 21st and it's so good. It's just what I was anticipating since the announcement and completing Infamous 2 and wanting more. I'm still early in the game, just beat the first boss. Playing on expert mode and it killed me the first attempt. But, the game looks great and traversal is awesome. I'm taking my time with this game and soaking it all in.

kurbaan

Banned
It's all subjective, they make very different games. IMO Infamous is more enjoyable than God of War has ever been for me, and on the same level as Uncharted. No developer has nailed fun open world traversal as well as Sucker Punch.

The thing that bores me so quickly with most open world games is how boring actually moving around the world is. I think when I'm pushed to use the fast travel almost exclusively, there's not point for the game to be open world. I haven't used fast travel once in this and I don't really plan to, moving around is too much fun.

I'll agree with you there Traversal has always been great in Infamous games and so far its pretty fun in this. I do miss the rail grinding though from the first game.

I completely disagree with everything you said about game play. Personally this is the most pure fun I've had in a game in a long time. Meh.

So you think the mission design is inventive and varied? And the combat is amazing? Not sure what games you have been playing.

Top Bottom