• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Just finished hero campaign. Good game.

Paper trail still isn't connecting in game, so I can't go past mission 1, the website only shows up to online mission 4 unlocked, and the link to the fourth site doesn't work.

When can we expect them to actually get their shit together with this site?

Cess007

Just finished hero campaign. Good game.

Paper trail still isn't connecting in game, so I can't go past mission 1, the website only shows up to online mission 4 unlocked, and the link to the fourth site doesn't work.

When can we expect them to actually get their shit together with this site?

I had problems linking my PSN ID in the website; but once i figure it out how to do it, it worked flawlessly.

How do you link your PSN account to it?

Enter the website, go to "Manage your Account" and in the lower part will appear a broken link to an image (or it appeared to me like that), click on it and continue to link your PSN ID.

Palehorse

I haven't been following this thread much more than to read the last coupe pages. It seems like people are divided on what is fun, what is open-world, what is a great next gen game.

I say f%$# that. I enjoyed the first Infamous, but didn't feel like I was powerful. I think that this version is awesome. Top notch, 100% fun. I am dragged into playing more and longer than I planned because I am having so much fun.

If you're on the fence, it's a buy.

leng jai

I think a lot of people are blinded by the pretty graphics and effects. When you break it down the combat mechanics while solid are quite repetitive as is the encounter design.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm loving this game. It is repetitive and it feels quite a bit like Infamous and I think that's why I like it so much. I find myself getting absorbed into the game just floating around doing little sidequests and then doing missions. It's really damn good looking and it plays really well. Traversal is fun and discovering/learning to use each power keeps me going. The story obviously isn't TLoU, but it's much better so far than any other Infamous game.

I just can't seem to stop playing. I have to admit I almost canceled my preorder because I was so addicted to Dark Souls 2, but I'm so glad I didn't. I haven't touched DS2 since I got this game.

Love this game so far. Not very far with the missions, but focused mainly on clearing all the districts. Only complaint so far are the damn secret agent missions.
Neon speed and slow-mo help. Their still kind of a motherfucker, though. Be prepared to chase them through hell and half of Georgia (which is also hell, BTW).

Lucent

Enter the website, go to "Manage your Account" and in the lower part will appear a broken link to an image (or it appeared to me like that), click on it and continue to link your PSN ID.

Awesome that worked. And the image appeared for me. Was basically the PSN logo. lol. Now I have all of the prologue done.

AlexIIDX

I'm not at the 3rd power yet but man even just fighting the D.U.P. rock guys while dashing around feels awesome. Literally feels like a Marvel movie that im controlling.
iHnZoi9fVvzjo.jpg

i6VHXCuG6bF7C.jpg

Draw distance is completely insane in this game. I love how high you can be and you can see enemies with all the details in the ground. You can also see all around Seattle if you're on top of a building, seeing all major towers with clarity.

rdrr gnr

But but but… that is such an old morality system! Everything should be gray and ambiguous now, like real life. It's not next gen enough! We need moar ludonarrative dissonance!
Binary morality systems have been and always will be shit. They undermine decisions completely making them perfunctory once the initial decision is made. The only decision that really matters is the first. They've used this exact same formula for three games now and it has produced the exact same result. It's not about being in a moral gray area -- a binary system punishes the player (END GAME SPOILER!
I wanted to kill Hank, but it was a "good" play through, so I let him live
END GAME SPOILER!). Because the morality is tied to the actual mechanics of the game (powers and leveling up) it conflicts (and thus is counter-intuitive to) the story itself. It doesn't cater to player choice -- it removes it. If you allow gray decisions, it means you have to alter the relationship between the morality system and the game. You play as you want, level as you want, but can still make the hard decisions without being locked in or locked out. I like this franchise, but it has not evolved in the last 5 years because of this garbage. It's almost a gaming cliche at this point: are you good or are you evil? I'd rather all story input be taken away if the end result is better. That's why TLoU humiliates every last-gen game with even a semblance of player input.
Anyone know what the hidden trophies are at all?
They are the opposite of your decisions.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ah thanks my man. Looks like its time to do evil then and get my platinum. Loving the style of this game though!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Imma be annoyed if they give you paper powers at the end of the ARG but take a long time bleeding out the content. By then I'll have completed all the city activities and not have much else to do.

ChrisW

Have I screwed myself over? I went through most of the story rather than clearing out sectors, but now that I have all the powers the enemies are much tougher to fight.

Should I have cleared most out before moving on or are enemies easy to fight in the first areas of the game?

Wulfegang

I made a choice at an early point in the game and was wondering if there was a way to change it. I've searched through the settings, on here, and using the Google machine but can't find it. Marking it as spoilers just in case.
I chose the Hands tag on top of the space needle after breaking the anchor and didn't know it would affect the billboard tags later on. Anyone know if you can change that, and if so how?

Lucent

Imma be annoyed if they give you paper powers at the end of the ARG but take a long time bleeding out the content. By then I'll have completed all the city activities and not have much else to do.

lol. I'd be more annoyed if they didn't give us paper powers. But in case they do, I think I'll just go back to Dark Souls II and mess around in Ground Zeroes and whatever else until they're all out and THEN do my Evil playthrough.

ChrisW

I made a choice at an early point in the game and was wondering if there was a way to change it. I've searched through the settings, on here, and using the Google machine but can't find it. Marking it as spoilers just in case.
I chose the Hands tag on top of the space needle after breaking the anchor and didn't know it would affect the billboard tags later on. Anyone know if you can change that, and if so how?
Negative, you can't climb it again in the game

pompidu

I think a lot of people are blinded by the pretty graphics and effects. When you break it down the combat mechanics while solid are quite repetitive as is the encounter design.

You know, your always bitching about this game every other page. Kinda of annoying to read. I'm having fun with it and so are other people, i enjoy the combat.

TEH-CJ

Banned
So what? To him the game is a 3/5 watch the damn review. Everything he says is valid. Just got the game today and I pretty much agree game is 3/5 or 7-8/10

Just got the Neon power and although traversal is great and fun the combat is very average. Fighting those DUP guys is just not that much fun and pretty much after you done it once its just on repeat.

A ton of random dudes shooting from all directions shoot a bunch and then run away to regen health and recharge power. come back and repeat. Even this early into the game I find it to be annoying when an encounter goes on for too long. Even the battle with Neon girl which should have been cool wasn't really fun at all because the combat mechanics are not that great.

Another gripe is so far the first 2 powers feel very similar mechanically (aside from the traversal since the fast wall running is a lot of fun). And Im gonna guess whatever the last 2 powers are will be the same as well since all powers need to provide essentially the same mechanics due to the way the game is structured and you can't really fast switch between them.

There are reasons why Sucker Punch is not on the level of Naughty Dog and SSM. And infamous never reached the heights of Uncharted and GoW

On the plus side the graphics are amazing, traversal is fun and story is engaging (even though so far lotta themes are straight from the XMEN). And the characters models, animation, acting is really great. Kudos to SP on that. Gameplay though just doesn't stack up.

My sentiments exactly. Awesome post.

darkwing

Daddy GAF this game works great over remote play. That said it is so beautiful it almost demands to be played on as big a screen as possible. It is stunning on my 100" screen with 1080p projector. The iq is sick. And the game is really fun. My first infamous and I really like it. SP has a new fan.

yup, they remapped the controls perfectly for remote play, this daddy GAF is happy

mishakoz

Just finished.

I have to wonder if some of the gameplay suffered to bolster the graphics.

Why are missles limited after they were always tied to the same power meter?

Why can't you move while absorbing power (pretty sure you could in the prior games but I may be wrong. I just felt so vulnerable in this game sucking power)

What's with the cutscene karmic bombs? Again, it used to be tied to your power meter, than part of some ion purple balls, now its once in a while, more powerful but less interesting.

I think all of these changes much have been made to achieve the amazing graphics of the game.

Also, where are the side missions? And I mean the real side missions, not the files and secret agent crap,

Why change how powers are procured. The blast relays I will as accept, but why get rid of the xp system and make it a manhunt for blast cores? Now there is no reason to pick a fight with the DUP, and being honest it better serves my good morality not to.

Overall, fun game, but I think a step backward.

Kyoufu

Just finished.

I think heavy ammo is limited because they're really powerful. If you could spam it then the game would be too easy. Balance.

Another gripe is so far the first 2 powers feel very similar mechanically (aside from the traversal since the fast wall running is a lot of fun). And Im gonna guess whatever the last 2 powers are will be the same as well since all powers need to provide essentially the same mechanics due to the way the game is structured and you can't really fast switch between them.

I have 3 powers in the game now and have to disagree with this point. See below.

I also thought the combat was repetitive early on but as I gained powers and abilities this concern faded away. I still would have liked better variety for the context of combat, and consider the lack of it in the game to be its biggest weakness. What I mean by that is the game only has a few setups for a battle and they are recycled repeatedly throughout the game. I also feel that the consequences of battle are too local. I would have like for areas of the map to influence other areas. By connecting the battles together at least a little bit, the lack of battle context variety that I describe could have been greatly reduce. Still, for what the game does, I am enjoying it quite a bit.

POWER VARIETY

Smoke
Smoke is your up close, run and gun power. With its large AOE grenade, shotgun blast charge up primary shot, and auto subdue out of a dash, it doesn't require careful aiming. Just stay close and keep moving. That power comes at a cost since Smoke has the hardest time of the powers disengaging from a battle. However it can offer the fastest healing. Smoke requires the greatest awareness of the environment. Its travel power/escape ability works best if there is an air vent nearby and jumping off cars increases your height. This power works equally well for both good and evil alignment.

Neon
Neon is your precision long range power. Its grenade attack has a smaller radius than Smoke's and as such requires more forethought. Careful aiming is a prerequisite for using this power, although this is mitigated with a slowing time while zoomed ability that is unlocked for good karma. Unlike Smoke, the missile shots for Neon have a delay which also prevents this power from being run and gun. Its speed allows you to keep your distance and get in position for those sniperlike shots. Neon has a strong good bias since there are many skills that are unlocked with good karma.

Third Power
Not revealing too much. Just overall power play style and alignment bias. Spoilering just in case.
This is your stealth play style power. It also has an evil bias since many skills require evil karma to unlock.

-Snooze-

Banned
Bit disappointed to be honest.

The gameplay has hardly changed, which I expected would be the case, but it's fun for awhile anyway.
The main story is also very short, and the optional little bits are all ridiculously repetitive. This coupled with even the hardest difficulty being quite easy makes it a rather hollow experience.

Neon is beautiful though!

Keihart

Just finished.

Why can't you move while absorbing power (pretty sure you could in the prior games but I may be wrong. I just felt so vulnerable in this game sucking power)

What's with the cutscene karmic bombs? Again, it used to be tied to your power meter, than part of some ion purple balls, now its once in a while, more powerful but less interesting.

I think all of these changes much have been made to achieve the amazing graphics of the game.

Also, where are the side missions? And I mean the real side missions, not the files and secret agent crap,

Why change how powers are procured. The blast relays I will as accept, but why get rid of the xp system and make it a manhunt for blast cores? Now there is no reason to pick a fight with the DUP, and being honest it better serves my good morality not to.

Haven't finished the game, had to work this weekend and i want to clear the first island of DUP.

IMO, Karma Bombs o streaks as they are called now i believe, are better balanced this way, they give you an incentive in the way you play, be famous and you have to be careful and preccise, be infamous and you have to be fast and deadly.

I far preffered the combat in the first game to the second because the powers had more utility to them , this i think was lost in the second game, but now it's back in second son.
In infamous 2, most enemies were just about bombing them with damage instead of being weak to diferent types of attacks and strategies. I feel that now, the combat has gone back to be more strategic but it has improved a whole lot in mobility also.

For me the only thing holding back the combat system it's the melee combat. If SP dares to improve melee to a GOW or even better, to a P* level , then the gameplay would be almost perfect, since infamous , sadly, doesn't resonate with gamers that don't enjoy tps that much.

Also, since i'm writing about gameplay, i find the climb mechanics to be far better than AC but not close to perfect, theres no easy fix to the stickyness since without it standing on a pole or a rail would be pretty hard. But maybe they should make scaling the side of buildings less tedious.

Having a blast with the game, smoke it's still my favorite power over neon, moving trough buildings while fighting with smoke it's so awesome, you can really make AI lose sight of you with smoke, if you move quickly enough they won't know where to shoot.

leng jai

You know, your always bitching about this game every other page. Kinda of annoying to read. I'm having fun with it and so are other people, i enjoy the combat.

I'm sorry that my posts aren't just circle jerks about the graphics and impeding on your ability to enjoy the game.

nOoblet16

Alright I think I am right before the point where you get the final power so something regarding the story
"Lol !! I won't let you take conduits away because I want to expose you so that the military takes over and starts killing conduits yet again and in turn innocents get hurt in the conflict too." Both reasoning are stupid to begin with anyway.

Third Power
Not revealing too much. Just overall power play style and alignment bias. Spoilering just in case.
This is your stealth play style power. It also has an evil bias since many skills require evil karma to unlock.
I actually have a different opinion about the third power.
So far from my experience the third power is much more damage dealing and hard hitting than either of the other two. The torrent stream is fast and powerful, the R1 attack is in my opinion the best heavy attack out of all three.

Just finished.

You are wrong about your assumption, game development isn't done the way you think it is done. How do you think having a separate meter for bombs and karma power allows them to achieve better graphics?A graphics programmer won't work on the gameplay, so there is no way focusing on graphics would affect the gameplay features in any way.

The only time they affect each other is when they are tied to each other, like the torch in Dark Souls 2 and how it became useless after the downgrade.

T.O.P

Banned
Oh well, fuckin great

Tried to redeem the Cole Legacy code in the box

PS store has an error while reedeming it, now it say it's already been used

FUCK

Oh well, fuckin great

Tried to redeem the Cole Legacy code in the box

PS store has an error while reedeming it, now it say it's already been used

FUCK
Hopefully it is in the Library section of the store now (the place where things you've bought/downloaded go).

I actually have a different opinion about the third power.
So far from my experience the third power is much more damage dealing and hard hitting than either of the other two. The torrent stream is fast and powerful, the R1 attack is in my opinion the best heavy attack out of all three.

Well I just got the third power and have been trying to unlock upgrades and figure a good fighting style with it. However my best success with the power so far has been
breaking line of sight, going invisible, then running up and doing the triangle attack to instantly subdue. Then running back to cover. For those that are immune to the instant subdue, I melee a few time and then get out of range. I find that the dash movement is quite fast and allows for quick traversal around the battlefield in order to set up each attack. Going invisible also allows me to pop out, aim and shoot a missile against tougher opponents and turrets. I'm doing a "good" play through so I don't have access to all of its abilities.

The R1 attack while powerful also has a delay which doesn't make it as hip-fire ready as Smoke's. It seems like this powerset is made for setting up the right position through quick movement and invisibility. Hitting hard, and then getting out.

So as you can see, at least for me each of the powers play quite differently.

S1kkZ

not a real spoiler, but better safe than sorry. a question for the people that finished the game:
is there a way to change the time of day after the story is finished? i just want it to be night.

rpowelll

Neo Member
Well I just got the third power and have been trying to unlock upgrades and figure a good fighting style with it. However my best success with the power so far has been
breaking line of sight, going invisible, then running up and doing the triangle attack to instantly subdue. Then running back to cover. For those that are immune to the instant subdue, I melee a few time and then get out of range. I find that the dash movement is quite fast and allows for quick traversal around the battlefield in order to set up each attack. Going invisible also allows me to pop out, aim and shoot a missile against tougher opponents and turrets. I'm doing a "good" play through so I don't have access to all of its abilities.

The R1 attack while powerful also has a delay which doesn't make it as hip-fire ready as Smoke's. It seems like this powerset is made for setting up the right position through quick movement and invisibility. Hitting hard, and then getting out.

So as you can see, at least for me each of the powers play quite differently.

I unlocked the third power set earlier today, and I've had a few hours to try it out and upgrade it a bit.
The video powers seem to work best if you're moving around a lot, and more specifically getting airborne. Once you get the upgrade that lets you hover while you're aiming, you can pretty easily get up high with your dash and attack enemies from above. Most of the time they'll have trouble hitting you while you're doing that so it's pretty effective. Also the invisibility power helps you build up your super meter pretty quickly if you're playing with good karma.

Top Bottom