• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

How's everyone liking the story? I'm not that far into it but im findin delsin is actually funny.. I'm going evil so maybe it changes.. Story over all seems decent but delsins character is well acted and likeable

Personally I think the fact Sony/SP made him film limited footage left a sour taste in his mouth.

And the fact that he made a big deal out of not being provided with a PS4 at launch.

I used to love the guy, but recently he's become an absolute baby. Maybe that's just me, and I should give him benefit of the doubt... But I don't know...

Cubed

I'm surprised by how much the dialogue changes from a good playthrough to an evil one. Not just cutscenes where you make choices, and the ones right after them, but even small talk during gameplay.

Grisby

Enjoying the game a lot more. Just dicking around in the city. Haven't even done the 4th mission or so.

Goddamn, I used the Orbital Drop for the first time too. Good thing there were no civvies around. It was freaking awesome and the after effect particles. Crazy.

The jumping and climbing feels a little off, in a different way then the other games. Doesn't really matter though since you use the vents and fans a lot I suppose.

I honestly think Sessler has some sort of gaming schizophrenia. He's a fucking wreck. This game is no lower than an 8 at worst. It's easily 8.5-9.0 material. I'd give it a 9.3.
I'm right with you man, low 9s is what I'm thinking as well. Absolutely lovely, and they improved on several aspects from the previous two. If they keep the good from this game, and improve on some other aspects on the sequel, they are likely to hit that top world class quality that a few of Sony's studios have. I certainly have more hope for SP than any other studio that's "almost there" if I were to base it off this game.

I hope the term "it's not next-gen gameplay" won't become a thing. It sounds beyond idiotic coming from a fucking gaming journalist, in the case that they don't go into any detail about it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
This is my first InFamous game and I'm really fucking impressed with the story telling. Reminds me a ton of Tomb Raider:DE. I really think tech is finally advancing to a degree where the acting can be "Good".

viveks86

And I though my half sunken car from playthrough in the street was glitchy enough XD

Haha! Things have been quite solid otherwise. I did encounter another 'bug' that allowed me to skip a really tough mini-boss(es) fight. I kept running down the street while being chased until at one point the game forgot that those… things... weren't dead yet. When I died and reloaded, it took me directly to the next phase! Was kinda bummed that I didn't have to beat it properly! :/

I think I'm closer to power number 3 now. Shit is getting pretty damn intense!

Cubed

And the fact that he made a big deal out of not being provided with a PS4 at launch.

I used to love the guy, but recently he's become an absolute baby. Maybe that's just me, and I should give him benefit of the doubt... But I don't know...

I feels the same way. I liked him as recently as this past Summer, but the last 6 months have exposed him as both a hypocrite and a whiner.

I'm not even referring to his reviews, though they leave something to be desired, but rather his "impressions" videos and interviews.

RedCrake

Pretty painless apart from the secret agent missions (needing to find them and them running if they get spooked).

I was having problems with the Secret Agent missions as well... lots of chasing followed by them running into a DUP camp. Then I realized I could just shoot them with a Smoke Missile when they made their first dash. Felt cheap, but it solved that problem.

Five

Banned
I was having problems with the Secret Agent missions as well... lots of chasing followed by them running into a DUP camp. Then I realized I could just shoot them with a Smoke Missile when they made their first dash. Felt cheap, but it solved that problem.

They only disappear when you focus on them. You might have better luck if you don't look directly at anyone, and just keep your head down all the time. I got right up next to one of the agents and stood about five feet from him for several seconds before deciding to finally murder him, which I did with a melee attack.

RedCrake

They only disappear when you focus on them. You might have better luck if you don't look directly at anyone, and just keep your head down all the time. I got right up next to one of the agents and stood about five feet from him for several seconds before deciding to finally murder him, which I did with a melee attack.

Thanks for the tip! Will try! (And save my missiles)

hwateber

Just beat the game and 100%'d the good playthrough. This was my first infamous game but it did not disappoint. I give it a solid 8.5. The side missions and content could use some variety but the main storyline is a blast to play. This also might be the first time I liked audio logs in a game. Anyone else think there might be a sequel or dlc in
curden cay?
anyway, I'm excited to start my evil playthrough and get my first platinum trophy ever

BadAss2961

Not siding with Adam's review, but rev3 rates out of 5 stars for a reason, it's not fair to convert a 3/5 to a 6/10.
But that's exactly what it is... For this reason, I always thought of it as a terrible rating system. There's way too much space between 60-80% and 80-100%.

On a full scale, inFamous is a 7.5 at worst.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, where the hell do I enter my Amazon code at? I got the email, but I never even get to a title screen and I'm sort of lost. My brother insists that there's a field to enter it but I sure don't see one.

tirminyl

Just beat the game. Haven't gotten a 100% yet but man did I have fun. I even forgot to eat dinner. Gonna finish it up on good then go through an evil playthrough.

Five

Banned
Whats the device key for Paper Trail?

What do I have to put in the phone for the first Paper Trail mission?

Spoilers, obviously:

Open the wallet. See that the dude has his own website. Visit website. Try to log in to the employee part. Go to the "forgot your password" part of the log in area. Use info from wallet to answer identity questions. Height 6'3" is listed on the back of the scale picture. Favorite restaurant is full name on card "Meaty Martha's Fiesta Cauldron". Oldest daughter's name is listed on back of photograph. Once logged in, go to active case file folder. Read through the files. One of the files has the Mobile ID number in it.

How do the Paper trailer missions work? I ran through the first one only to find at the end it said I wasn't connected.

Also... THAT THIRD POWER TRAVERSAL. SO COOL.

He still said the game was dissapointing, therefor a 6/10 seems to represent how he felt.

He gave it a 3/5. Not a 6/10.

There is a difference.

Some people need to get their head out of the 10 point rating system. It's doing a lot of damage to the industry.

Game is a lot of fun and looks beautiful but the short length and repetitive mission structure needs to be called out. I can see where he is coming from with a 3/5. I'd probably up it to 4/5 just because it looks so damn beautiful.

Still, it's an understandable score.

Just finished the mission with the third power and
Eugene summoning a bunch of Angels to defeat the two concrete dudes in the park.
how far am I?

Really trying to savor the game and plan to finish it next weekend. Very cool game.

viveks86

For the paper trails mission, I'm now at a stage captioned
"Unlock the secret." The last 3 missions seemed to be locked. Is that where everyone is right now? The next one seems like a mission on the console

Cubed

Just finished the mission with the third power and
Eugene summoning a bunch of Angels to defeat the two concrete dudes in the park.
how far am I?

Really trying to savor the game and plan to finish it next weekend. Very cool game.

You're in the last quarter of the game, unfortunately. If you play tomorrow you'll likely finish the game.

Just finished my first playthrough (good route) and absolutely loved the game. Haven't had this much fun in a long time. I'd easily give it a 9/10.

Just beat the game and 100%'d the good playthrough. This was my first infamous game but it did not disappoint. I give it a solid 8.5. The side missions and content could use some variety but the main storyline is a blast to play. This also might be the first time I liked audio logs in a game. Anyone else think there might be a sequel or dlc in
curden cay?
anyway, I'm excited to start my evil playthrough and get my first platinum trophy ever

I said the same thing! The audio logs in this game are fantastic! They were my favorite side missions. I also had the same thought that in the next game or for DLC Delsin will go to
Curdun Cay
. Seeing both endings and hearing the audio logs solidified that opinion even more.

I said the same thing! The audio logs in this game are fantastic! They were my favorite side missions. I also had the same thought that in the next game or for DLC Delsin will go to
Curdun Cay
. Seeing both endings and hearing the audio logs solidified that opinion even more.

Yep, definitely. I'd bet on it.

I'd be so excited for
glass powers

BadAss2961

He gave it a 3/5. Not a 6/10.

There is a difference.

Some people need to get their head out of the 10 point rating system. It's doing a lot of damage to the industry.

Game is a lot of fun and looks beautiful but the short length and repetitive mission structure needs to be called out. I can see where he is coming from with a 3/5. I'd probably up it to 4/5 just because it looks so damn beautiful.

Still, it's an understandable score.
3/5 is a very average score -- a score that most games probably get under that system. Second Son is not an average game.

I look at it like this...

1/5 = Awful
2/5 = Sucks/Below average
3/5 = average
4/5 = Good
5/5= Great

There's just not enough room in between with a 5 point scale. The score itself can't suggest whether a game is average or above average, great or outstanding.

3/5 is a very average score -- a score that most games probably get under that system. Second Son is not an average game.

I look at it like this...

1/5 = Awful
2/5 = Sucks/Below average
3/5 = average
4/5 = Good
5/5= Great

There's just not enough room in between with a 5 point scale. The score itself can't suggest whether a game is average or above average, great or outstanding.
So read/watch the review!

K' Dash

How Adam sessler still has a job is the biggest question. Dude was annoying and lame back when Morgan Webb was the hottest .. .

The game is beautiful and a ton of fun, BUT I agree with him on the score, I'm loving the game but side missions are bad and repetitive, it's the same missions for each area, they should have mixed it up, put some new and some old, I don't know, the awesome powers and traversal shine, but is VERY lacking in enemy variety.

The point I don't agree is the combat, it's that true some times if you're careless you need go out of battle to recharge, but when you dominate the powers, you can go and wreck everything before you are low on health, specially with stuff like
karmic healing, vent healing
, etc.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I guess I've been putzing around too much doing all the side stuff and just taking in the sights. I'd better get back to the story.

Oh, and I spotted a Sly Cooper "symbol" graffiti. Thought that was pretty cool.

Amazing game. I just wish the automatic last 15 minutes footage wasn't so broken with this game. I took out a chopper on showdown with the Smoke karmic special, and it looked glorious. Sadly, I couldn't share the clip.

Still, I'm loving it.

One question for those who have beaten it, I've done 4 showdowns and my map shows areas left to take, but my Trophy didn't unlock for doing half of them, so am I to assume the city will expand and have an addition to the map with more areas later on?

Tabular

Banned
I'm right with you man, low 9s is what I'm thinking as well. Absolutely lovely, and they improved on several aspects from the previous two. If they keep the good from this game, and improve on some other aspects on the sequel, they are likely to hit that top world class quality that a few of Sony's studios have. I certainly have more hope for SP than any other studio that's "almost there" if I were to base it off this game.

I hope the term "it's not next-gen gameplay" won't become a thing. It sounds beyond idiotic coming from a fucking gaming journalist, in the case that they don't go into any detail about it.

They're just being tough on early current gen games to allow for even better games to come out later in the gen. But I think if this had come to ps3 in early 2013 it would have gotten a 9.0 because of how much better it is than an average last gen game. It's really the best AAA single player experience on the new consoles to date.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Having slept on it, the story is practically nonexistent.
You get to follow a new conduit, meet them, learn new tricks, do something together with them, move on, repeat three-four times, and the overarching line is as simple as "He goes to help his people and so he does".
After twists of I2 this was kind of a bummer.

viveks86

10014114_1422622824652853_986253168_o.jpg

I guess the streets aren't dead after all. Gets quite crowded after you drive the DUP out.

The people are sorta dead on the inside, though :p

vypek

But you can't even edit the settings before the start of the game right?

People are saying as soon as you get control and menu options. If its your second play, on your first save file, turn it to expert and THEN start a new game. Should put you on expert that way. Either way seems to work from what people are saying

viveks86

My mind is blown by how well fast travel works! It moves me from one end of the map to another with practically zero load time! Man! Sucker Punch are wizards!

coldone

Did they change the combat designer for this game.

Man, AI is annoying as hell. I dont like the fact enemies appear from vacum and shoot from all directions. I like the previous infamous where the AI spawn before the combat starts and it allows me to stratergize before the combat starts. Is this the Halo guy who left Sucker punch recently ?.

Other than combat every thing feels great. Hopefully they will go back and drop this stupid 360 degree AI spawn idea.

Top Bottom