• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Strider

During the audio logs they talked about
some of the conduits that were locked up having glass powers. I want glass power DLC so bad. That sounds like it could be amazing.

Any random powers you guys want for DLC?

Sorian

Banned
A PSA about double smoke stack attack which may or may not have been obvious to others. I got it accidently last night (yeah, accidently) and it should be noted that you don't have to go through two vents to get it, you just need to use two vents. I went through one and the roof I popped out on had another vent facing upwards so I dashed at it for that height boost that it gives and mega-slammed off the side of the building afterwards. I was quite surprised that the achievement popped.

bebop242

Is Delsin bearable? He's the reason why I didn't get it. Thinking about getting this now if combat and graphics are amazing. But if Delsin is going to wind me up then no...

I was worried about his character too, but after playing this he is actually pretty good, not grating at all.

Errrrr... How do I begin a new game?

Just did the 100% and finished with good karma.

Do I have to play all along on expert to get the trophy or just the final combat?

Kaswa101

Game looks great! Can someone who finished the game tell me -without any spoilers, of course- how the story holds up? Cheers

I liked it. Finished Good, and currently doing evil, and it was well-done. It didn't pack as much punch as the first two, at least plot-wise, but the character development was great, and the ending reflects that.

Wasn't anything overly-special, but it was cool. Not bad by any means imo.

Ok. Ive got the game. As everyone has said, it looks and runs amazing. One of the most beautiful games ive seen on a console and brilliant tech showcase, im even enjoying the facial animation during cutscenes, which is normally I dont give a shit about.

However, Sucker punch suck at encounter design. The infamous formula just plain doesn't work. To balance the game agains a protagonist with godlike powers, they make every enemy in the game a pinpoint sharpshooter and make every bullet seem like they are explosive rounds. The game has a tedious minigame of jumping into combat, firing a couple shots, hoping that you whittle down a bit of the crowd, dashing away, draining smoke/neon/other to replenish your power/health/both, all the while beeing shot at from half a mile away, then dashing in and doing the same thing.

You cant get creative with your powers, you feel like you are being funnel down a narrow path in how you approach a fight, and it gets a big repetitive.

It starts off like that, but when I know I'm going into a rumble I pot-shot a few cars to set them smoking so I don't have to do a rooftop refuel. I only have the smoke power at the moment, and that gives me all kinds of combat options now. Feels great.

Sorian

Banned
Errrrr... How do I begin a new game?

Just did the 100% and finished with good karma.

Do I have to play all along on expert to get the trophy or just the final combat?

I think you have to go into the options menu from the game and load a blank save or something. As for the expert trophy, you have to switch the difficulty to expert right when the game gives you control of delsin at the beginning, if you make any progress as all while still on normal then it won't pop.

I don't want this game to end.

I'm on my second playthrough, going for the platinum. But instead of finishing up the last remaining stuff, I'm destroying all the DUP infastructure that can be perma-damaged.

If Sucker Punch does a sequel to Second Son, it will be what Uncharted 2 was to Drake's Fortune. My god.

Is Delsin bearable? He's the reason why I didn't get it. Thinking about getting this now if combat and graphics are amazing. But if Delsin is going to wind me up then no...

I feel that they try a bit too hard to make him look and act "cool", but overall I haven't found him intolerable. There's some good humour in there too, he's not as douchey as he looks all in all I'd say.

Frillen

Damn this game made me feel like such a bad ass, just beat my evil playthrough and wow awesome stuff.

Once your good enough this game looks amazing in action, I have had friends just sit there and stare as I shoot through vents, fly across building tops then drop a karmic bomb on a dup stronghold, send some rockets to blow up the cars/turrets/dup checkpoints etc, and they can't get enough.

Ps that third power tho!!!
Wow definitely my favorite especially with the evil upgrades it makes traversal amazing!!! I love being able to shoot into an antenna then hover while gaining altitude and being able to fly across the sky it combines the best of smoke and neon traversal together while maybe being a bit weaker in combat but nothing is more fun imo then zooming around from roof top to roof top in this game. Never had a game feel so fluid and natural.

Gonna give it a second playthrough playing good karma with expert difficulty once I finish up clearing out the dup.

Really don't get some of the low review scores on this one at all, and I think the combat complaints have something to do with people's inability to play well, honestly because the combat In this game is freaking awesome imo.

This game made me feel like a super hero much more then the first two games in the series.

With news the dlc is gonna be similar in scope to festival of blood I can hardly wait!

This one's on top of my goty list so far surpassing the stick of truth!

Define low review scores.

rdrr gnr

If Sucker Punch does a sequel to Second Son, it will be what Uncharted 2 was to Drake's Fortune. My god.
This is already the third game in the series. Even when controlling for the next-gen bump, I don't think SP is capable of outputting a top-tier title like ND. Also, the rumor is that SP is moving on.

Slixshot

Banned
I don't want this game to end.

I'm on my second playthrough, going for the platinum. But instead of finishing up the last remaining stuff, I'm destroying all the DUP infastructure that can be perma-damaged.

I'm in the same boat... I only have main story missions left :(

jaypah

It depends on your tolerance for snarky youths of today. I honestly thought I wouldn't like him but he's cool. About what you would expect a young adult would be like if he suddenly discovered superpowers. Mixed with tolerable Spiderman wit.

VanWinkle

Just got neon a bit ago. Fetch backstory was really interesting. I seriously love this game so much. There's not one aspect I don't think highly of, except maybe the unlocked framerate.

It starts off like that, but when I know I'm going into a rumble I pot-shot a few cars to set them smoking so I don't have to do a rooftop refuel. I only have the smoke power at the moment, and that gives me all kinds of combat options now. Feels great.

I hear that and it is a good idea, but the fact remains that sucker punch has had 3 chances to make this "shooter with energy bolts instead of bullets" thing work and I don't think they have executed well with any of them.

Just like with infamous 1+2, Ground pound and Meele feel far more satisfying and effective, but you still are dealing with enemies with an unholy level of accuracy and a unfair amount amount of damage dealing.

Relegating energy shots to a secondary attack and making the game more meele based in abilties and encounters removes this.

It also allows for much more creative enemy types to fight.

Vashetti

Banned
Just got neon a bit ago. Fetch backstory was really interesting. I seriously love this game so much. There's not one aspect I don't think highly of, except maybe the unlocked framerate.

I personally haven't experienced this "judder" that people have mentioned, or at least I'm not aware of it.

I would like to try a locked 30fps though, do we think SP will patch it? GG did for KZSF.

vypek

Just like with infamous 1+2, Ground pound and Meele feel far more satisfying and effective, but you still are dealing with enemies with an unholy level of accuracy and a unfair amount amount of damage dealing.

For some reason I feel like the ground pound move is weaker for Delsin. I miss Cole's damage reduction upgrade and increasing the power of basic shots. He feels weaker to me in comparison with Cole. I barely defeated anyone with comet drops and it was dangerous to use it since I'd be in the perfect spot to be shot and killed quickly. Delsin feels so weak to me.

I wholeheartedly agree about the accuracy and damage. And now that enemies can melee to, I only try to keep the highest ground to do battle far away but the "grenades" have crazy good accuracy as well.

I also wish they kept the basic bolt style from infamous 1 when you could still shoot without energy. Losing all ranged attacks kinda sucks in this game since you are so easily damaged or pushed away from draining resources even when its quick
(especially in boss fight with Eugene)

IvorB

I think Delsin is pretty awesome actually.

YMMV of course.

I was worried about his character too, but after playing this he is actually pretty good, not grating at all.

I feel that they try a bit too hard to make him look and act "cool", but overall I haven't found him intolerable. There's some good humour in there too, he's not as douchey as he looks all in all I'd say.

That's what I wanted to know. :)

I actually ended up liking him a lot. Great character.

It depends on your tolerance for snarky youths of today. I honestly thought I wouldn't like him but he's cool. About what you would expect a young adult would be like if he suddenly discovered superpowers. Mixed with tolerable Spiderman wit.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Think I might download this today. I wanna taste that next gen goodness. I need some splendid PS4 graphics and audio in my life.

0racle

Here is an easy way to get the double smoke stack achievement early on the game.

Very MINOR spoiler...so minor it may not even be a spoiler and I will be as vague as possble

again- this is in the first hour of the game...if that..

When you are at the top of the space needle fighting the DUP dudes there are many vertial smoke stacks that simply suck you in/spit you out vertically. Jump in one, hover to the next, jump back out and bomb down for the easy achievement

your welcome

Its looking like I will get 30+ hours easily out of 2 playthroughs. I am really enjoying it. Loving the boss battles too. This is he most fun I've had with a game in a while. As much as I would love to see another game in the inFAMOUS universe, I really want to see a new IP from SP. They are some talented mofos.

Violater

Actually seems way more do-able in this game than in previous infamous games.

Yup no more button spamming, would be cooler if the drones fought back though..
KuGsj.gif

Just got 100% on my evil play through and I still can't stop playing it haha. Going to get as many trophies as possible before I start my good play through. I'm actually pretty shocked I haven't worn myself out on this game. Probably took me 15-16 total hours to 100% it. I'm getting random DUP raids popping up through out the city, was that part of the day one dlc?

Actually seems way more do-able in this game than in previous infamous games.

I am going to a mission and then I see a flying drone and follow it who knows where away from the mission I attended to finish

they combined the blast-shards from the previous inFamous games and the birds from inFamous 2 making mobile shards

bLaiSe

Someone please tell me what to write in the 3 fields when I want to retrieve the detective's password (Paper Trail stuff). With a spoiler tag of course...
This shit is making me mad!

CAVE343

I just received the neon powers and have almost reached level 3 on good karma. Do I have enough time to reach level 5 Hero at this rate?

If not, any tips or do I need to restart? Haven't been paying attention to the karma up until now really.

Sorian

Banned
Someone please tell me what to write in the 3 fields when I want to retrieve the detective's password (Paper Trail stuff). With a spoiler tag of course...
This shit is making me mad!

Jet Skiing is what is tripping you up, the other two are written exactly as they are found in the wallet

Slixshot

Banned
I just received the neon powers and have almost reached level 3 on good karma. Do I have enough time to reach level 5 Hero at this rate?

If not, any tips or do I need to restart? Haven't been paying attention to the karma up until now really.

Easily. Don't worry. Missions tend to give you drastic increases in Karma.

Top Bottom