• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

The Lamp

Just finished.

I have to wonder if some of the gameplay suffered to bolster the graphics.

Why are missles limited after they were always tied to the same power meter?

Why can't you move while absorbing power (pretty sure you could in the prior games but I may be wrong. I just felt so vulnerable in this game sucking power)

What's with the cutscene karmic bombs? Again, it used to be tied to your power meter, than part of some ion purple balls, now its once in a while, more powerful but less interesting.

I think all of these changes much have been made to achieve the amazing graphics of the game.

Also, where are the side missions? And I mean the real side missions, not the files and secret agent crap,

Why change how powers are procured. The blast relays I will as accept, but why get rid of the xp system and make it a manhunt for blast cores? Now there is no reason to pick a fight with the DUP, and being honest it better serves my good morality not to.

Overall, fun game, but I think a step backward.

Your argument is baseless. The changes were made to probably just reflect a new difficulty and game balance to the design. Major game play changes like that like limited missiles wouldn't be effected by graphics, come on.

the women in this game are horn balls. "I want to sex you up", "I want to have your baby", "I'm easy", "I want to tattoo you on my ass", "Look at the ass on that one"

Yeah I was just walking around and heard the baby one and the tattoo one but I thought she said "I have a tattoo of you on my ass"

Goddamn thirsty women in Seattle.

I spent 5 minutes looking for the first damn fish on the last part of those missions. :(

Yeah, the fish are a particularly bad offender.

A lot of the bad mission types make sense when you realize they are particularly easy missions to make that don't consume a lot of time. Just not very good for the end consumer.

KorrZ

I'm so happy I played as Evil for my first go through.Just got the
Endless light-run
for my Neon powers and it is fucking crazy!

Neon is such a cool power, just a shame its kind of boring to fight with. Smoke buffed up with all the evil powers is just insanely fun. You cause complete and total destruction in every fight. I swear if they let you destroy the actual building in this game, Seattle would be rubble just from the collateral damage.

I wonder if reviews can be updated once they consider the Paper Trail addition to the game. If this is suppose to be a 6 week long addition then this will certain give inFamous some more replay value. Plus the gameplay is a bit different and unique from the story.

Cheska

For those who have beaten the game or are pretty close, I have a question about the powers.
Is there really any benefit to the Video Power? I've been using it for the past hour and have upgraded it a bunch and it still feels really weak compared to Neon. I just want to know if I'd be missing out on something if I pretty much ditch it at this point.

veras

Just got the platinum, fun game

Enjoyed my second playthrough (good, expert) more than my first (evil, normal)

IMO the good powers/mechanics are more fun

I have another problem with the paper trail , when i try to link my psn account it automatically connects to my US account on which i'm not playing. And i can't seem to change it.

Dreez

Only couple hours in, loving it so far!

It's challenging for me (on expert). Gotta run away a lot. But I'm probably still getting used to the abilities and aiming haha.

Game is fantastic so far. Wish I had more time to play this weekend.

Is Cole's Legacy on the disc? I'm early and haven't gotten to it yet. I was thrown off because I redeemed the pre-order code and nothing downloaded. It just thanked me for redeeming it.

This game would be absolutely amazing if the melee was something like ninja gaiden/god of war/bayonetta.

Just imagine a high roller>>>>aerial rave>>>helm breaker combo

Or a 3 pound ground combo where each hit generates explosive sparks on a enemy

Or a smoke Dash to a kick that charges an enemies vest and when they hit the ground, explodes.

Or a abiltie to grab a enemy by the leg and swing them around in a wide area attack.

The possibilties are endless.

Bookoo

For those who have beaten the game or are pretty close, I have a question about the powers.
Is there really any benefit to the Video Power? I've been using it for the past hour and have upgraded it a bunch and it still feels really weak compared to Neon. I just want to know if I'd be missing out on something if I pretty much ditch it at this point.

I think it's the best traversal one. I went back and tried Neon, but am convinced Video is the best one. You just move so quickly through the air and have the ability to zip up the buildings like neon. I felt like neon required more planning because I felt like I was getting caught on geometry or the buildings and stuff.

I also think its pretty powerful. I just zip around and go into stealth and get 2 subdues and do it again. Also the R1 on it is good with the homing swords I haven't used Neon that much though except for traversal.

Only couple hours in, loving it so far!

It's challenging for me (on expert). Gotta run away a lot. But I'm probably still getting used to the abilities and aiming haha.

Even on easy it's challenging. I love the fact that I can't just hack and slash myself through 5+ enemies.

T.O.P

Banned
the women in this game are horn balls. "I want to sex you up", "I want to have your baby", "I'm easy", "I want to tattoo you on my ass", "Look at the ass on that one"

I think i heard a dude on a banch saying "sorry, not into dudes"

the civilian talk around the city is absolutely amazing lol

Vashetti

Banned
Just gonna put it out there for the hell of it:

If anyone has a UK Cole's Legacy code they don't want, I'll take it.

I refuse to pay extra for it when it should come as standard.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Power spoilers (do I have to spoiler tag this?):

Why doesn't concrete let you "jump" like other concrete enemies? They "sprout" a pillar of concrete from the ground and fly off.

It's really unsatisfying when you get concrete and you can't jump around like they do.

Press R1

Sorian

Banned
Just gonna put it out there for the hell of it:

If anyone has a UK Cole's Legacy code they don't want, I'll take it.

I refuse to pay extra for it when it should come as standard.

If it makes you feel better, you aren't missing anything. Any explanation they promised from the DLC was dodged around repeatedly.

So, those "extra" missions I said back then were just "Cole's legacy" missions that didn't activate till I finished the game, also Paper trail.
Now I started a new game and I'm going the Infamous path to get the remaining trophies. I like to Platimun Infamous games, reason, I like these games A LOT!

IvorB

Even on easy it's challenging. I love the fact that I can't just hack and slash myself through 5+ enemies.

Is it easy or challenging? I'm hearing conflicting reports. I don't it need to be Demon's Souls or anything but just not be piss easy. There needs to be at least some tension to the gameplay.

It really feels like an afterthought compared to the other powers. It's built up through the game and you see other concrete enemies doing cool things and you never get to do them.

I really hope SP patch this, because I want to love concrete but it feels incomplete.

Preach. This was my major complaint with
concrete.

Sorian

Banned
Is it easy or challenging? I'm hearing conflicting reports. I don't it need to be Demon's Souls or anything but just not be piss easy. There needs to be at least some tension to the gameplay.

If you are trying to facetank everything then it is challenging. If you are good at these type of games and know how to keep moving constantly and are good at juggling a large arsenal of skills will getting in and out of combat than it is piss-easy. Most people will fall inbetween those two extremes but I don't know where you will fall. The only downside is that you can charge an attack that is basically a kill-all button and if saved at just the right time can take the challenge out of a lot of big encounters but it is also easy to lose that charge if you are playing a good hero.

jadedm17

ISS is much better looking to be sure - and the powers are way more fleshed out in ISS, but map traversal was wayyyyy better in SR4. You could run up buildings at break-neck speed, ran through cars like they were nothing (running so fast that you whipped up whirlwinds that threw cars about in your wake even), jumped and ground smashed nimbly like the hulk, and could boost and glide long distances in the air.

But that's really because SR4 wasn't grounded in reality and could do insane things and get away with it, whereas ISS is grounded in reality - granted ISS does get pretty wacky
(Video as a power is absurd to the say the least - fun absurd).

Fuck that would be amazing.

Well damn, lasted this long and now thats spoiled.
Why'd you tag concrete but not video? Concrete was shown on enemies from the start. smh

I disagree about SR4 having better traversal : It throws everything out there so fast and easily that you don't appreciate not having it. Crackdown w,as crazy too but you worked for your power. Plus there's such thing as too much, whereas inFamous you can still enjoy the landscape as you run by it.

SeanR1221

My wife was watching me play and I was like the graphics are pretty good, huh?

She said "actually I was thinking how bad they look. It's nothing like Frozen"

-___-

Video
is awesome on good runs. Not sure why all the hate.
The stealth makes karma bomb charges easy. Both R1 and R2 are powerful and the R1 being locked on based makes choppers easy (stealth, aim, fire, run.)

Carbonox

Was a mistake post-game to start doing the opposite karma stuff just to help speed up some trophy-getting. Neon's endless run is no longer possible cos I'm not at the required Good karma. :lol Fuck. Also, I've already gotten every shard so I can't buy abilities in the Evil direction.

That'll learn me.

Doesn't really matter as I need to do an Evil Expert run anyway.

I wouldn't call it CHALLENGING but I wouldn't call it easy on normal. You definitely can't just be running into the fight and slashing everyone to death and getting away. You'll likely die. Which is good because it forces you to utilize a range of your powers in a fight to efficiently take a group out and whatnot.

But yeah, not easy but not challenging.

XAL

Well damn, lasted this long and now thats spoiled.
Why'd you tag concrete but not video? Concrete was shown on enemies from the start. smh

I disagree about SR4 having better traversal : It throws everything out there so fast and easily that you don't appreciate not having it. Crackdown w,as crazy too but you worked for your power. Plus there's such thing as too much, whereas inFamous you can still enjoy the landscape as you run by it.

Ah shit, sorry. Tagged now.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finished it last night. Really good game but Infamous 2 still might be my favorite in the series. I guess I just prefer the over-the-shoulder aiming of the first 2 games over the free-aim they've gone with here.

And even though you do get some pretty cool traversal powers in Second Son, I can't help but miss grinding on power lines.

Graphics are incredible, though I do hope they patch in an option to limit the frame rate to 30 fps. The juddering can get annoying from time to time.

Top Bottom