• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The normal difficulty has been more than acceptable to me so far. I've died a number of times, mostly when I've tried going into a DUP stronghold a little too quickly, or figuring out the angle on a boss battle.

Saberus

My wife was watching me play and I was like the graphics are pretty good, huh?

She said "actually I was thinking how bad they look. It's nothing like Frozen"

-___-

Haha..she does sound like a Gaffer. :p

Should of said..yeah but Frozen runs at 24 fps and the game runs at 30 fps.. so its better. :)

hydruxo

Im thinking i just suck at this game atm....but does anyone find enemy fire/shooting to be pretty annoying?
Its like a barrage of gunfire in every which direction. No matter if I'm close or far they have 100% accuracy.

Am i going about missions all wrong or what? its about my only complaint in this game thus far.

This is my first infamous game ever, and I felt the same for the first few hours, but you really have to just be moving at all times. I noticed that when I was trying to hide behind cover and take shots at the guys, they'd all shoot at me at once and I'd die in a heartbeat. Move around alot, and do comet drops off of buildings to clear guys out then immediately run off to avoid taking too much gunfire. Rinse & repeat (with the other moves as well).

IvorB

If you are trying to facetank everything then it is challenging. If you are good at these type of games and know how to keep moving constantly and are good at juggling a large arsenal of skills will getting in and out of combat than it is piss-easy. Most people will fall inbetween those two extremes but I don't know where you will fall. The only downside is that you can charge an attack that is basically a kill-all button and if saved at just the right time can take the challenge out of a lot of big encounters but it is also easy to lose that charge if you are playing a good hero.

Normally I can get the hang of combat games pretty quickly. I'm used to Ninja Gaiden level combat. If there is a big ol' kill everything button I can easily just not use it as I've done in other games in the past if that is possible. If I start off on expert do you reckon the combat will at least have some bite?

I'm 60% and have only died twice (normal). This game is piss easy. I was telling a friend the other day that playing it brings me to a state of highway hypnosis. If you want a challenge, start on expert.

Eish so normal is a no go then. Is expert a lot more challenging?

I want to get this but if it's piss easy then that's a big red flag for me.

Voror

Hmm, so I just got killed trying to drain a scanner and it doesn't look like it's on the map anymore. That doesn't mean it's gone forever does it? Or am I perhaps just missing it?

XAL

Anyone else like the cheeky Banksy-esque street art going on in this game?

The good karma ones are definitely better than the bad karma.

Sorian

Banned
Normally I can get the hang of combat games pretty quickly. I'm used to Ninja Gaiden level combat. If there is a big ol' kill everything button I can easily just not use it as I've done in other games in the past if that is possible. If I start off on expert do you reckon the combat will at least have some bite?

I'm on normal and some of the combat has had some bite already. I'm sure expert will be a good match-up. It's hard to say that all of your skill from a game like ninja gaiden or DMC will transfer over to here because this game really takes the stance of run away and recharge more than offense is the best defense. These enemies aren't bullet sponges because they do recoil from being hit but they can recover really quick.

Saberus

Finished it last night. Really good game but Infamous 2 still might be my favorite in the series. I guess I just prefer the over-the-shoulder aiming of the first 2 games over the free-aim they've gone with here.

And even though you do get some pretty cool traversal powers in Second Son, I can't help but miss grinding on power lines.

Graphics are incredible, though I do hope they patch in an option to limit the frame rate to 30 fps. The juddering can get annoying from time to time.

I don't have this Judder issue, I noticed some talk about some Lcd/Led tvs that have motion flow on will cause a judder effect on some TV's with this game because of the 30 fps, my tv is a plasma so maybe that is why I don't see this?

JohngPR

Just finished Part 1 of paper trail. I'm assuming that's all there is right? I wonder when Part 2 will be out.

It's pretty cool. The technical aspect could be better since the game said it couldn't connect to the website, but all the next clues were actually on my paper trail profile. When I tried to continue the game just constantly said that it was connecting. I ended up having to close out of the game back to the dashboard to get the game to load up the next part of the paper trail stuff.

Still, very neat idea...digging it.

U2NUMB

Really enjoying the game so far.. only minor complaints that do not in any way detract from the fun.

Also love capturing these moments..
infamousss.jpg

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
So guys I know this prob got asked a million times, but where on the map is the
paper trails start
? Can't seem to find it.

Also, loving the destruction, smoke dashing is just stupidly fun.

vypek

So, on expert mode, karma bomb doesn't seem to eliminate all enemies like it did on normal. Am I right about this or is it because I'm using the smoke karma bomb? My good playthrough had me use neon for most karma bombs and it always cleared the area. Now I'm fighting a good 20+ people after I use it when taking out a
DUP mobile command truck

Also, whats up with the damage? A single enemy knocked me down with a grenade and shot a clip into my body. All that within about 5 seconds almost killed me. And enemies aren't labeled on my map anymore

Sorian

Banned
So guys I know this prob got asked a million times, but where on the map is the
paper trails start
? Can't seem to find it.

Also, loving the destruction, smoke dashing is just stupidly fun.

Have to have the second power, if you don't already.

Other than that, I don't know the exact location but if you open your map, it is a yellow and black mission marker that looks exactly like the one on the paper trail website.

Hystzen

With way played managed to time it perfect so got hero status on final mission seems perfect timing on my part.

Will start a bad karma run later down the line

IvorB

I'm on normal and some of the combat has had some bite already. I'm sure expert will be a good match-up. It's hard to say that all of your skill from a game like ninja gaiden or DMC will transfer over to here because this game really takes the stance of run away and recharge more than offense is the best defense. These enemies aren't bullet sponges because they do recoil from being hit but they can recover really quick.

Cool. Thanks, mate. I'm sure I can find something between normal and expert that does the job. Think I will take the plunge. I've missed the store now but I guess I can just download.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So, on expert mode, karma bomb doesn't seem to eliminate all enemies like it did on normal. Am I right about this or is it because I'm using the smoke karma bomb? My good playthrough had me use neon for most karma bombs and it always cleared the area. Now I'm fighting a good 20+ people after I use it when taking out a
DUP mobile command truck

Also, whats up with the damage? A single enemy knocked me down with a grenade and shot a clip into my body. All that within about 5 seconds almost killed me. And enemies aren't labeled on my map anymore
My first playthrough was all done on Expert (except the very last boss because I died 5 times and couldn't be arsed.)

The karma bombs have a radius in which it kills, I think the max I killed at once were 23, but others were still around.

I don't know what else you're asking: The game is harder on Expert than on Normal.

DUP mobile command truck

thats all what makes expert expert lol. No kill all button really and hide and seek with DUP lol. I noticed the same thing. I love expert but playing good on expert would be hell.

I love standing on top of tall buildings and firing missiles into the air. Watching them shoot hundreds of feet up, then watch as they come down like a comet to their destination. Excellence.

Also love using, not sure what the name is, but the move where with Neon you hit O to dash and then Square quickly and he unleashes that wave that pushes everything. I will stand on top of buildings and watch the physics work with beams and boards and whatnot as they are tossed off the building. Physics are fantastic. Do the same thing with the cars with that move. So far it is the only move I have found that actually effects cards and can lift em ( besides huge explosions of course ).

vypek

My first playthrough was all done on Expert (except the very last boss because I died 5 times and couldn't be arsed.)

The karma bombs have a radius in which it kills, I think the max I killed at once were 23, but others were still around.

I don't know what else you're asking: The game is harder on Expert than on Normal.

I get that its harder. I was just shocked to see how much damage a grenade and quick fire of bullets did. Also didn't realize the limit of the standard smoke shot.

I was only really wondering if the karma bomb radius changes between the modes since I haven't had to use more than one to clear the area before. Or if the radius changes between powers. I'm really just curious what all the differences are between the two modes. (Aside from the standard you take more damage & do deal less damage) :)

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't have this Judder issue, I noticed some talk about some Lcd/Led tvs that have motion flow on will cause a judder effect on some TV's with this game because of the 30 fps, my tv is a plasma so maybe that is why I don't see this?

It's most noticable for me when I'm (third power spoiler)
flying around the city with the video wings.

It's not really all that noticeable for most people, which is probably why Sucker Punch went with an unlocked frame rate.

Sorian

Banned
Cool. Thanks, mate. I'm sure I can find something between normal and expert that does the job. Think I will take the plunge. I've missed the store now but I guess I can just download.

Also, assuming you don't care about the trophy attached to an expert run, you can switch difficulty anytime you'd like on the fly.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I get that its harder. I was just shocked to see how much damage a grenade and quick fire of bullets did. Also didn't realize the limit of the standard smoke shot.

I was only really wondering if the karma bomb radius changes between the modes since I haven't had to use more than one to clear the area before. Or if the radius changes between powers. I'm really just curious what all the differences are between the two modes. (Aside from the standard you take more damage & do deal less damage) :)
They definitely switch up the radius of AOE stuff, as well as the damage. So stuff you could easily avoid on Normal are not as easily avoidable on Expert.

Relevant late-game spoiler:
I could juke the final boss on Normal like it was no issue, while on Expert I died during the exact same thing.

Sorian

Banned

Well I can't speak on difficulty yet but neon's karma bomb definitely has a bigger radius than smoke.

Cudder

There's one more blast shard I'm looking for, and it seems to be on top of a certain building. Do I need to progress the story to get it?

Jedi2016

Verticality is a consideration too. I had the third power's karma bomb completely miss because it came down on the roof above me. I would have switched to Neon if I had known it was going to do that, Neon's bomb works within more confined spaces than Smoke or #3.

I know that doesn't really answer your question since I'm still on my first Good playthrough, but I was just pointing out there's more than just radius to think about.

I just finished the game and fucking loved it, my first Infamous game and it left a great impression. I liked the ending, I don't understand why people are saying it was anticlimactic? Is it because previous infamous games have much dramatic endings?

They went overboard with the Bosses though. Jesus, it was one after the other after the other, the battles became ridiculously tedious.

vypek

They definitely switch up the radius of AOE stuff, as well as the damage. So stuff you could easily avoid on Normal are not as easily avoidable on Expert.

Relevant late-game spoiler:
I could juke the final boss on Normal like it was no issue, while on Expert I died during the exact same thing.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if AOE changed or if I just didn't notice it before. Regarding the spoiler, I have a feeling the same thing will happen to me.

Well I can't speak on difficulty yet but neon's karma bomb definitely has a bigger radius than smoke.

Thanks, I didn't use smokes karma bomb that much previously so I didn't really notice or compare that much about it to others

Verticality is a consideration too. I had the third power's karma bomb completely miss because it came down on the roof above me. I would have switched to Neon if I had known it was going to do that, Neon's bomb works within more confined spaces than Smoke or #3.

I know that doesn't really answer your question since I'm still on my first Good playthrough, but I was just pointing out there's more than just radius to think about.

No, that helps. I didn't really consider it but it should've been obvious that neon has an advantage when it comes to spaces and location used. I already bonked Delsins head on a ceiling while doing Smoke Karma Bomb and didn't even think about the fact that neon goes through things while smoke doesn't

Thanks for the replies everyone

This game will probably be my first platinum. I've had a PS3 since early 2009 with dozens and dozens of games. I hope there's more DLC in the future.

Never played InFAMOUS 1, 2, or 2.5 but I just beat the game with 100% completion. This game was so much fun. I loved all the powers but I have no clue on why
video
power is getting so much hate.

Anyone know when Paper Trail part 2 is coming out? I did the first segment of it up to the point where everything gets uploaded to the website. Is there any way to make the game go back to night from day? And can you only get
concrete power
from enemies?

Thanks!

wapplew

Playing evil on expert after finish good on normal.
I love this game more!
Keeping up karma counter is way more fun, and paper trail mission is very well done!
Any games did similar things before? That's "next gen gameplay" right there.

Finally put some time in and I find the DUP challenging enough that I avoid them when I can. The key to infamous combat has always been KEEP IT MOVING. Soon as u stand still your a sitting target.

Neon looks so fuckin awesome. Hell at first I didnt think the game looked that good. But the more I play the more im impressed. The draw range, the city, the action... everything is just so clean. I wanna show ppl

chur

Great game but really surprised they didn't add race side missions, it's almost a guarantee with these types of games.

Phlebas

Banned
Not sure if this has been answered but, does any of the side stuff dissapear when the story advances?

Like breaking the hand scanners and stuff.

I just hit the first advancement point and was wondering if I should go back to an earlier save.

Torraz

Beat the game on normal (hero).

Is it worth it to replay it as evil? Not really looking forward to all those copy/paste side quests again...

Alienous

Is it just me, or do the skin textures really let down the facial animation?

The detail on the faces is comparable to LA Noire, but the animation is worse, IMO.

chur

Not sure if this has been answered but, does any of the side stuff dissapear when the story advances?

Like breaking the hand scanners and stuff.

I just hit the first advancement point and was wondering if I should go back to an earlier save.
It doesn't disappear. You'll be able to collect them any time you please.

RetroStu

Banned
Finally finished watching a playthrough of this and apart from the amazing graphics, i honestly think Infamous 2 is the much better game.
From the imo better characters and story in Infamous 2 to the far better city in New Morais (sp?) and much better and varied enemies in Infamous 2 (why did they get rid of the monsters and mutants etc?).
I much prefered the electric powers and i missed the electric grenades that came in so handy and of course the inventive power moves like the tornado.
All the side content in SS seemed really basic and bland compared to the older games as well (Spray painting with the silly touch pad?, really?)
Where were the cool characters like Nix and Zeke and the rest?, the characters in SS don't come close and the story seems barely there compared to Infamous 2 and actually doesn't seem to be half as many cut scenes in SS.

Infamous SS reminds me more of a tech demo that a true follow up to Infamous 1 ans 2.
Thats not to say this isn't a good game because i had fun watching it and will definately pick it up when i get my PS4 but it just wasn't as good a game as Infamous 2, not from a viewer looking in from the outside anyway.

I'm just starting my evil play through and it's a lot more fun. You get to go crazy and it's much easier to get your special. I can't wait to upgrade the third power on the evil branch.

Dupes are going to take a beating.

Sorian

Banned
Neon also goes through walls, or floors (like in a parking garage).

This as well, the first time I used it outside of its tutorial, I was surprised to find that I had used it on a rooftop and everyone down in the alley was taken out as well.

The content doesn't disappear weekly as well does it? If I start the game in 6 weeks' time, all 6 missions will be available?

Doubtful and, for the sake of reference, its more than 6 missions. This week (I believe) has 3 missions and two things that must be done through the website. I'd assume each of the following weeks will have a similar thing to it.

Top Bottom