• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Just finished, the game was awesome, and I loved the final missions, it had exactly the kind of platforming and traversal that was missed from inFamous 2. Will jump into another playthrough on the other karma soon.

bLaiSe

the questions vary from person to person
Damn, really? I tried everything but something is always wrong. I'll get back to it tomorrow then...

Thanks for the others who tried to help me out.

Edit: I got these questions by the way:
son's name, Halloween costume, where does he parks his car

Bond007

Im thinking i just suck at this game atm....but does anyone find enemy fire/shooting to be pretty annoying?
Its like a barrage of gunfire in every which direction. No matter if I'm close or far they have 100% accuracy.

Am i going about missions all wrong or what? its about my only complaint in this game thus far.

Loudninja

Im thinking i just suck at this game atm....but does anyone find enemy fire/shooting to be pretty annoying?
Its like a barrage of gunfire in every which direction. No matter if I'm close or far they have 100% accuracy.

Am i going about missions all wrong or what? its about my only complaint in this game thus far.
Its the same in all inFamous games. :)

Sorian

Banned

You should just always be moving, thats the general rule. Past that each power set has their own advantages. Just using smoke as an example, you should be stunning everything that you can. The smoke grenade forces lowbies into a OHKO as long as you get close to them and smoke is set up so that once you take out all the little ones up close, if a bigger guy was in there as well, you can turn and shotgun him. Also, when only one or two enemies are left, never under estimate how powerful your melee attacks are. A lot of things can be knocked out with the 3-hit combo.

Cleared out all but two districts. Main mission-wise I've only just gotten across the bridge so I'll probably have almost nothing but story stuff left once I finish clearing these out. Having a ton of fun so far.

All the hidden trophies are story decisions, right? If so, it looks like this'll be an easy platinum. The "do 10 of these things" I'm already almost done with for Evil, the "get all collectibles" I'll be done with pretty soon here, and I only have a handful of combat ones left (which I guess I should get before I finish clearing DUP from the districts just to make sure). I've been doing an Evil-Expert playthrough as my first - which has been surprisingly easy so far - and for my second Good-Normal playthrough I'll only have the good karma "10 things" trophies left.

Use your dash a lot.

Kssio_Aug

Could play it a bit today! And thise are my impressions:
-The graphics are amazing!! The best i've ever seen, at any platform (including PC).
-The gameplay is very good, just like inFamous 1 and 2. Less cover needed, but lot more moviments to keep alive (at least in Expert, that is what I am playing).
-I am at the start of the game (
just got that special power used with karma
); and the upgrades of the 1st power already gave me a bunch of powers!! At the end of the game, the quantity and variety of powers may be trully amazing! o_O
-The game runs pretty smoothly!!

Amazing experience so far!! The most solid game launched this gen until now!

Could play it a bit today! And thise are my impressions:
-The graphics are amazing!! The best i've ever seen, at any platform (including PC).
-The gameplay is very good, just like inFamous 1 and 2. Less cover needed, but lot more moviments to keep alive (at least in Expert, that is what I am playing).
-I am at the start of the game (
just got that special power used with karma
); and the upgrades of the 1st power already gave me a bunch of powers!! At the end of the game, the quantity and variety of powers may be trully amazing! o_O
-The game runs pretty smoothly!!

Amazing experience so far!! The most solid game launched this gen until now!

TitanFall and Second Son are a fantastic start to the new generation. I think anyone who picks up a console and one of these two will have immediate justification to their purchase.

Got the third power.

Still think neon is better though. It's almost too good.

I must be the only person who prefers Smoke over those.

Kssio_Aug

TitanFall and Second Son are a fantastic start to the new generation. I think anyone who picks up a console and one of these two will have immediate justification to their purchase.

Havent played Titan Fall yet, but I guess youre right!
And dude.... those graphics!! o_O The gen just started and that graphics are already jaw dropping, and at open-world scenario!! Can't wait to see what Uncharted 4 will show us!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I finished the game with good karma, time for some thoughts;

The positives;
+ The game looks stunning. The characters really come to life due to the improved performance capture and overall better acting. The city itself looks great (despite some stuff feeling copy-pasted) and the powers just look awesome with all the particles and effects. The draw distance is also massively improved vs. inFamous 2.

POWER SPOILERS
+
The traversal powers are a massive step up from previous games and are just so fun and satisfying to use. Being to run up buildings with Neon or instantly transporting to their roof through vents with smoke is just way more fun than having to climb all the way up. I'm also very happy that they added some karma based abilities to the combat, such as incapacitating enemies with the smoke grenade and shooting the legs with neon for a subdue. And just describing some of the powers makes them sound so cool! Like you can become invisible and summon an angel and you can run up buildings and you can slow down time and then you can just launch into the air and drop down and destroy everything and then you fly into a vent and get launched to the roof of a building and you can attack with this massive sword that will make enemies fly back and you can shoot lasers from your hands etc. etc.

STORY + POWER SPOILERS
+
The game starts out great story-wise; Augustine was instantly hate-able and there was an actually compelling motivation to get to her and steal her powers beyond 'she's the baddie'. It also did a great job introducing your new smoke powers, albeit in a more linear fashion. Also, Eugene being a video game nerd that can summon angels and demons out of his favorite video game and having the ability to change into a giant flying angel/demon hybrid was amazing. Another cool story bit were the mission where you had to find out who the sniper was (Fetch, duh), because even though you already knew it was going to be Fetch, it was cool learning about her past. Boss fights also felt improved and more varied than in the previous inFamous games, despite having the classic problem of dragging on for too long.

The negatives;
SIDE CONTENT SPOILERS
-
There is just so very little side content. Every district has three 'missions'; find a hidden camera, find a hidden audio log and find a hidden DUP guy. Almost all of them can be beaten in ten seconds and they do not really give you anything apart from bringing down the DUP control percentage. Taking down DUP command centers is also just way too easy; collect the Neon karma bomb, walk in, use it > everybody dead / subdued. There is no challenge, it's just a free four shards. None of the side missions really follow a story at all (except for the audio logs, which tell you very little, Cole's Legacy, which does not come with the standard version of the game, and Paper Trail, which will be slowly rolled out over the course of the following six weeks) and that makes them uninteresting and unrewarding. Having drug dealers to take down on pretty much every corner is fine, but they don't serve any purpose beyond getting you free karma. If you do a drug bust and leave the area for a second, they'll be back in the same place when you return. You're not driving the dealers out of Seattle or anything, they'll just keep going and respawning no matter what you do. They serve no purpose other than to get you free karma, despite that you're not actually making the world a better place. And why are there still people 'dying' on the streets? In inFamous 1 it made sense because of toxic water, the destruction and the city being cut off, in inFamous 2 it made sense because of the plague, but in Second Son it just kind of makes no sense at all.

POWER SPOILERS
-
Video just doesn't work for me. The mechanics, A.I. and encounter design for proper stealth just aren't there. Flying is fun, but it's not much faster or better than the Neon dash in most cases. The standard shooting attack is weak as hell, and while the swords can home in on a target, the times that that is actually useful (fighting helicopters, which actually don't move around all that much) are very scarce.
-
Concrete has no use at all. It has a very limited moveset and is just very poor all around. The standard shooting attack has no advantages over the other powers, it has no karma bomb, you can't make a shield like the enemies, traversal abilities are horrible and it's super annoying when an enemy dies near a power source or shard you wanted to drain. You also get this power when you've already finished the game.
-
You get a new power, and then instantly unlock all abilities within that powerset in the very same mission. There is no sense of progression. You didn't encounter something in another mission that was too powerful that you can now beat with your new power. There are no new places you can go with your new power that were previously locked. You didn't really gain or earn anything.

STORY SPOILERS
-
There was little to no development within the story at all. You go to Seattle to get Augustine. The DUP is there from the start and have powers from the start, but you don't really learn anything about the DUP. Augustine also just isn't really interesting beyond the intro. Why did they have to pull the "Ah well, but she was trying to do good all along" card out of the ass at the last second? It added nothing to the story. There are no secrets, there is no intrigue, there is no game-changing twist, there is not enough time spent with characters like Fetch and Eugene to really get to know them (You do one karma mission with them, and then they magically either turn good or evil and disappear until the finale), and while Reggie was an awesome character, I just didn't really feel anything when they killed him off, because I just didn't get to spend enough time with him over the course of the game. There were no hardships to overcome, no challenges, no nothing. Delsin goes to Seattle, gets powers, gets some more powers, beats the crap out of Augustine (who runs away like a coward) and then beats the crap out of Augustine again. The end.

I still had fun with this game and will probably go for the platinum, but the first part of it was definitely more fun than the latter half. I can certainly understand some of the 'low' reviews. I went in thinking it would be the best inFamous game by far, I come out looking back at both the original and 2 and concluding that those games did a lot of things better than Second Son.

Now here's a picture of a kitten;
cats-animals-kittens-background-us.jpg

Please don't kill me. ;-(

Alienous

(No 'Spoilers' (Nothing that hasn't been released in official media is detailed)).

I ... I really didn't love the game. It's weird, because I've seen a lot of people on GAF give it nothing but the highest of praise. Like, seriously, my favourite single moment of the game was the concise credits. Just some of my views/observations:

The graphics were good, but outside of the particles I didn't seen anything impressive. It's weird, because Shadow Fall's graphics impressed me more often. The only time I looked at the game and thought "Wow, that looks good" was the first shot after the credits. The faces aren't even as impressive as LA Noire; the mouth animation isn't as good, and the textures are comparable. So much detail on the face, but so little on the skin.

The gameplay was ... ok. The Vita remote play is fantastic, judging from the little time I spent using it. Powers 1 and 2 are great, power 3 is ... eh, it's ok. And the introduction of that power is coupled with a weird change in tone. Speaking of the tone, the acting in the first act of the game was cringe inducing, it's picks up near the middle and near the end it features some of the more powerful moments I've ever seen in a game. That was weird. The bosses unanimously suck. And the game seemed short; I didn't see my completion time but the entire experience felt 'sparse'. Maybe it's just getting efficient at the gameplay, but playing 'good' and using smoke bombs and neon lasers targeted at enemies' legs you can crunch through a large amount of enemies using your Karma bomb.

Overall this feels to me like a 7/10 game, where Infamous 2 is a 8/10.

Sorian

Banned

I only have smoke and neon at the moment and I'm forcing myself to use neon more because it sounds much weaker on evil playthrough (playing good now) but I have to say that smoke is what I use when I know I need to get shit done, the only advantage that neon has for me is the karmic streak attack is godlike. Traversal is no contest though, neon wins with the sprint.

Hasney

Just finished my second go through on expert.

Knowing to take in a bunch of blast shards for the last upgrade made that battle far too east

Easily better than the other 2 InFAMOUS games... I actually really enjoy this one and found the first two games extremely dull.

Also kind of hoping that the evil ending is the canon one this time and it makes Delsin the antagonist in the sequel

Sorian

Banned
So do these online missions appear on the in game map? I just signed up with the linked you provided

Once it is linked to your PSN account, yes. You do have to be far enough in the game though. I believe it's after you get the second power.

Can't even create an account, when i put in my country and birth date and press continue, it does nothing

The website was dead Friday and most of yesterday. It was working flawlessly last night though, could just be another traffic issue. I'd say just keep trying.

Edit: Ah, saw your edit. Good to go then.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's funny how everybody is sharing screenshots from the same moments in the game.

The shore at sunset at the beginning of the game, a screenshot at dawn in seattle, the first time you look over the city from the space needle, etc.

Hasney

i am so stuck on trying to find the code to the hacked drone on the paper trail site :(

Yellow means it's in the code, but not in the right place. Green is the right place. X means it's not in the code. Pretty simple if you think logically and write down all previous guesses.

Ellite25

I've played for about 3 hours and I've only played the initial story mission once you get to Seattle lol

I've just been clearing all the G.U.P. zones down to 0%.

If I clear out all the districts before the end game, will there be anything to do after the game? or just random drug bust like I'm an urban superhero.

Does the game penalize you for making good and evil choices? Is it harder to max out your powers that way? I like my protagonists to walk the line between hero and villain.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If I clear out all the districts before the end game, will there be anything to do after the game? or just random drug bust like I'm an urban superhero.

You get something new, DUP raids, which are pretty damn hard.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I think you need to play more with the last powers. Some of your summary is incorrect and probably based on limited use.

Concrete is brute force, the R2 shot is the most powerful in the game and breaks down concrete shields almost instantly. The melee is AE, you also get a 20% damage reductions. The traversal is not made for shooting up to roofs, but it is the only one that can go up without the aid of a building or objects, which makes it useful for comet drops in the middle fields or streets. The run is also just as fast as neon, just stick to the ground.

Video has the best L1 in the set, it is instant, no warm up and since it tracks the time of flight is irreverent. The stealth is a get out of death card, no power has anything like it. You can basically stealth take down everyone it works on and L1/KB the rest. The stealth is the fastest way to build a karma bomb in the game.

I finished the game with good karma, time for some thoughts;

The positives;
+ The game looks stunning. The characters really come to life due to the improved performance capture and overall better acting. The city itself looks great (despite some stuff feeling copy-pasted) and the powers just look awesome with all the particles and effects. The draw distance is also massively improved vs. inFamous 2.

POWER SPOILERS
+
The traversal powers are a massive step up from previous games and are just so fun and satisfying to use. Being to run up buildings with Neon or instantly transporting to their roof through vents with smoke is just way more fun than having to climb all the way up. I'm also very happy that they added some karma based abilities to the combat, such as incapacitating enemies with the smoke grenade and shooting the legs with neon for a subdue. And just describing some of the powers makes them sound so cool! Like you can become invisible and summon an angel and you can run up buildings and you can slow down time and then you can just launch into the air and drop down and destroy everything and then you fly into a vent and get launched to the roof of a building and you can attack with this massive sword that will make enemies fly back and you can shoot lasers from your hands etc. etc.

STORY + POWER SPOILERS
+
The game starts out great story-wise; Augustine was instantly hate-able and there was an actually compelling motivation to get to her and steal her powers beyond 'she's the baddie'. It also did a great job introducing your new smoke powers, albeit in a more linear fashion. Also, Eugene being a video game nerd that can summon angels and demons out of his favorite video game and having the ability to change into a giant flying angel/demon hybrid was amazing. Another cool story bit were the mission where you had to find out who the sniper was (Fetch, duh), because even though you already knew it was going to be Fetch, it was cool learning about her past. Boss fights also felt improved and more varied than in the previous inFamous games, despite having the classic problem of dragging on for too long.

The negatives;
SIDE CONTENT SPOILERS
-
There is just so very little side content. Every district has three 'missions'; find a hidden camera, find a hidden audio log and find a hidden DUP guy. Almost all of them can be beaten in ten seconds and they do not really give you anything apart from bringing down the DUP control percentage. Taking down DUP command centers is also just way too easy; collect the Neon karma bomb, walk in, use it > everybody dead / subdued. There is no challenge, it's just a free four shards. None of the side missions really follow a story at all (except for the audio logs, which tell you very little, Cole's Legacy, which does not come with the standard version of the game, and Paper Trail, which will be slowly rolled out over the course of the following six weeks) and that makes them uninteresting and unrewarding. Having drug dealers to take down on pretty much every corner is fine, but they don't serve any purpose beyond getting you free karma. If you do a drug bust and leave the area for a second, they'll be back in the same place when you return. You're not driving the dealers out of Seattle or anything, they'll just keep going and respawning no matter what you do. They serve no purpose other than to get you free karma, despite that you're not actually making the world a better place. And why are there still people 'dying' on the streets? In inFamous 1 it made sense because of toxic water, the destruction and the city being cut off, in inFamous 2 it made sense because of the plague, but in Second Son it just kind of makes no sense at all.

POWER SPOILERS
-
Video just doesn't work for me. The mechanics, A.I. and encounter design for proper stealth just aren't there. Flying is fun, but it's not much faster or better than the Neon dash in most cases. The standard shooting attack is weak as hell, and while the swords can home in on a target, the times that that is actually useful (fighting helicopters, which actually don't move around all that much) are very scarce.
-
Concrete has no use at all. It has a very limited moveset and is just very poor all around. The standard shooting attack has no advantages over the other powers, it has no karma bomb, you can't make a shield like the enemies, traversal abilities are horrible and it's super annoying when an enemy dies near a power source or shard you wanted to drain. You also get this power when you've already finished the game.
-
You get a new power, and then instantly unlock all abilities within that powerset in the very same mission. There is no sense of progression. You didn't encounter something in another mission that was too powerful that you can now beat with your new power. There are no new places you can go with your new power that were previously locked. You didn't really gain or earn anything.

STORY SPOILERS
-
There was little to no development within the story at all. You go to Seattle to get Augustine. The DUP is there from the start and have powers from the start, but you don't really learn anything about the DUP. Augustine also just isn't really interesting beyond the intro. Why did they have to pull the "Ah well, but she was trying to do good all along" card out of the ass at the last second? It added nothing to the story. There are no secrets, there is no intrigue, there is no game-changing twist, there is not enough time spent with characters like Fetch and Eugene to really get to know them (You do one karma mission with them, and then they magically either turn good or evil and disappear until the finale), and while Reggie was an awesome character, I just didn't really feel anything when they killed him off, because I just didn't get to spend enough time with him over the course of the game. There were no hardships to overcome, no challenges, no nothing. Delsin goes to Seattle, gets powers, gets some more powers, beats the crap out of Augustine (who runs away like a coward) and then beats the crap out of Augustine again. The end.

I still had fun with this game and will probably go for the platinum, but the first part of it was definitely more fun than the latter half. I can certainly understand some of the 'low' reviews. I went in thinking it would be the best inFamous game by far, I come out looking back at both the original and 2 and concluding that those games did a lot of things better than Second Son.

Now here's a picture of a kitten;

What did those two games do better to you? Your negatives are found in the first two games for the most part, on top of other issues the previous two games have.

Grisby

Does the game penalize you for making good and evil choices? Is it harder to max out your powers that way? I like my protagonists to walk the line between hero and villain.
Yes, the game is designed for two go throughs as some powers are locked to the highest karma deal.

the women in this game are horn balls. "I want to sex you up", "I want to have your baby", "I'm easy", "I want to tattoo you on my ass", "Look at the ass on that one"

Top Bottom