• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Cudder

Finally finished watching a playthrough of this and apart from the amazing graphics, i honestly think Infamous 2 is the much better game.
From the imo better characters and story in Infamous 2 to the far better city in New Morais (sp?) and much better and varied enemies in Infamous 2 (why did they get rid of the monsters and mutants etc?).
I much prefered the electric powers and i missed the electric grenades that came in so handy and of course the inventive power moves like the tornado.
All the side content in SS seemed really basic and bland compared to the older games as well (Spray painting with the silly touch pad?, really?)
Where were the cool characters like Nix and Zeke and the rest?, the characters in SS don't come close and the story seems barely there compared to Infamous 2 and actually doesn't seem to be half as many cut scenes in SS.

Infamous SS reminds me more of a tech demo that a true follow up to Infamous 1 ans 2.
Thats not to say this isn't a good game because i had fun watching it and will definately pick it up when i get my PS4 but it just wasn't as good a game as Infamous 2, not from a viewer looking in from the outside anyway.

You're opinion means jack shit if you watched someone else play it, sorry.

Video Power sucks

I feel like choosing it gimps me a little because with Neon I'm going for Karma Bombs 24/7 but Video forces some really creative ad-libbed battle tactics out of me and destroying shit with Video just looks amazing. flying dodges, stints of invisibility, hover aiming, alongside automatic fire, a badass melee weapon, and the coolest rocket in the game - shit gives Neon a run for its money in the looks department especially when you've mastered it

Alienous

Finally finished watching a playthrough of this and apart from the amazing graphics, i honestly think Infamous 2 is the much better game.
From the imo better characters and story in Infamous 2 to the far better city in New Morais (sp?) and much better and varied enemies in Infamous 2 (why did they get rid of the monsters and mutants etc?).
I much prefered the electric powers and i missed the electric grenades that came in so handy and of course the inventive power moves like the tornado.
All the side content in SS seemed really basic and bland compared to the older games as well (Spray painting with the silly touch pad?, really?)
Where were the cool characters like Nix and Zeke and the rest?, the characters in SS don't come close and the story seems barely there compared to Infamous 2 and actually doesn't seem to be half as many cut scenes in SS.

Infamous SS reminds me more of a tech demo that a true follow up to Infamous 1 ans 2.
Thats not to say this isn't a good game because i had fun watching it and will definately pick it up when i get my PS4 but it just wasn't as good a game as Infamous 2, not from a viewer looking in from the outside anyway.

Despite it not being the consensus, I agree (having played it). I honestly think Infamous 2 is a better game.
Just comparing the gameplay I feel like Infamous 2 was more 'cohesively dynamic'. Electricity seemed better realized, for one, with things like
the ability to use your environment, by picking up vehicles
. And, especially when the bigger monsters come into play, the combat variety is more extensive.

Second Son in the later hours, for me, devolved into Smoke Power -> Headshot, Neon Power -> Legshot, Karma Bomb, repeat.

vypek

Seriously?

Well, if someone can't get it yet then they will probably experience it any way they can. More power to them if it makes them buy the game.

I watched the first hour of Sleeping Dogs (hadn't heard anything about it at the time) on YouTube and stopped watching and decided to just go out and buy it right away.

K' Dash

I feel like choosing it gimps me a little because with Neon I'm going for Karma Bombs 24/7 but Video forces some really creative ad-libbed battle tactics out of me and destroying shit with Video just looks amazing. flying dodges, stints of invisibility, hover aiming, alongside automatic fire, a badass melee weapon, and the coolest rocket in the game - shit gives Neon a run for its money in the looks department especially when you've mastered it

The battles with the third power look amazing! I've tried to upload a couple but the share video feature is still borked, shame :(

Does the game suddenly become different if i have a controller in hand?

whoever said there's no such thing as a stupid question

I mean yeah you can't claim to have a feel for the game when you haven't actually played the fucking game. There's no getting around that man.

Not to mention that this is the sort of game where I shouldn't even have to explain how much a player's own input and ability to master the mechanics and adapt to combat scenarios effects the pacing and flow of the game.

You can make story complaints, yeah, that's cool, but saying that one game is definitively better than the other without having played one, I don't buy it. Especially given that some of your conclusions seem a little off base. There's several equivelants to both the tornado and the electric grenades. Spraypainting is done using the DS4's motion sensor and actually isn't that bad (but if you own a Vita you can use Remote Play to skip the motion control segments outright and put up graffiti instantly lol). The monsters and mutants were a story-important character's Conduit powers in Infamous 2, it's not surprising to not see them return and while I could have went for more enemy variety I've still had the majority of my battles play out pretty differently from one another

Silurus

Your judging it after watching a playthrough?

Jedi2016

Does the game suddenly become different if i have a controller in hand?
Yeah, actually, it does. I saw a lot of videos of the game before launch, and none of it compares one whit to actually doing all those things myself. All you get from a video is story, you experience absolutely zero of the gameplay, no matter what the person playing does.

viveks86

Does the game suddenly become different if i have a controller in hand?, none of the points i mentioned will change whether i'm actually controlling the game or not.

What? This is the first time I've come across someone even debating this. So watching is enough to judge a game? I don't even...

Rosur

100% my infamous playthrough today :). Fun game
Like the Video power best
Gonna start my true hero playthrough next. Looking forward to it and will be going for the platinum as well (just good side trophies and 2 misc to get)

RetroStu

Banned
whoever said there's no such thing as a stupid question

I mean yeah you can't claim to have a feel for the game when you haven't actually played the fucking game. There's no getting around that man.

Read my orig post again and explain which of my points/concerns will change from actually controlling the game.
Why do you think i never mentioned control problems with the game.

What?...

aly

I've seen some people say they are disappointed that this doesn't have much of a connection to the first two for fans. Is that true and do you guys agree with that?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does the game suddenly become different if i have a controller in hand?, none of the points i mentioned will change whether i'm actually controlling the game or not.

Ehm... You cant judge a videogame without playing it. You only can say something about the graphics and the sound and the story, but thats it?

And by the way, you dont control the actions via the touchpad in the spraying sidemissions. You actually turn the controller sideways and press R2, it feels like a real spraying-can.
So this alone proves that your post is a case for neogafshitposts...

I'm having a hell of a time actually finding 10 sign twirlers. I've encountered maybe three so far? I went back to the first half of the city and just ran around for a while and didn't find a single one.

Really dude you didn't even play it. Maybe you should play it before talking. This is a game not a movie.

Cudder

It will be a while before i can play the game as i lost my job last year and its been a struggle to find anything to be honest, thats why Youtube/twitch playthroughs come in very handy at times like this.

that's fine, but you shouldn't be passing judgment on the game at all. You're not even qualified to give your opinion on the games graphics if you've only seen it through a stream.

Read my orig post again and explain which of my points/concerns will change from actually controlling the game.

fun.

Despite it not being the consensus, I agree (having played it). I honestly think Infamous 2 is a better game.
Just comparing the gameplay I feel like Infamous 2 was more 'cohesively dynamic'. Electricity seemed better realized, for one, with things like
the ability to use your environment, by picking up vehicles
. And, especially when the bigger monsters come into play, the combat variety is more extensive.

Second Son in the later hours, for me, devolved into Smoke Power -> Headshot, Neon Power -> Legshot, Karma Bomb, repeat.

The combat devolution is something I was realizing the last time I played as well. Just unlocked the third (and completely lame) powerset, and I sill feel like I'm really only using a couple moves at any given time. Even the moves between powersets are only really small variants of each other. I was really hoping for some vastly different playstyles and abilities between the three powersets, and that just didn't happen.

That's always been the weakest part of the inFamous series to me. The implementation of the power design stops at "<element> pistol", <element> shotgun", "<element> rocket launcher". Still enjoying the game for what it is, but I can't help wishing Sucker Punch stopped being so lazy with the power design side of things.

RetroStu

Banned
Ehm... You cant judge a videogame without playing it. You only can say something about the graphics and the sound and the story, but thats it?

Which is why i never mentioned anything about controlling the game. People tend to jump on things without reading the whole post. Everything i mentioned was about characters, story, different type of side content, enemy types etc, things that won't change whether i'm playing the game or not.

Carbonox

I've seen some people say they are disappointed that this doesn't have much of a connection to the first two for fans. Is that true and do you guys agree with that?

That's not true at all. There are a lot of references to the previous games and events that occurred in many different ways but rightfully this is a separate title in that it's its own thing.

Vashetti

Banned
Imagine if someone made an LTTP thread for a game and the only way they experienced it was through a YouTube walkthrough.

Then they proceed to slander the game.

Cudder

Which is why i never mentioned anything about controlling the game. People tend to jump on things without reading the whole post. Everything i mentioned was about characters, story, different type of side content, enemy types etc, things that won't change whether i'm playing the game or not.

You mentioned controlling the spray paint segments with the touch pad, something that rubbed you the wrong way. Except it doesn't control with the touch pad. Something you would've noticed if you had played the actual game. Try again.

The combat devolution is something I was realizing the last time I played as well. Just unlocked the third (and completely lame) powerset, and I sill feel like I'm really only using a couple moves at any given time. Even the moves between powersets are only really small variants of each other. I was really hoping for some vastly different playstyles and abilities between the three powersets, and that just didn't happen.

That's always been the weakest part of the inFamous series to me. The implementation of the power design stops at "<element> pistol", <element> shotgun", "<element> rocket launcher". Still enjoying the game for what it is, but I can't help wishing Sucker Punch stopped being so lazy with the power design side of things.

Personally I'm having a lot of fun learning the ins and outs of each power; yeah they're kind of binary and similar on the surface but they demand somewhat different mentalities and each allow for some pretty unique plays on standard infamous combat. I got stuck in the Karma Bomb cycle but I decided at one point that in the heat of battle I should get comfortable just grabbing what element is beside me (instead of running away for a refill) and mixing them up while staying in the fray has proven to be a decent challenge and a lot of fun

I like to use (all hero) Smoke when I'm approaching from above or from close range and I use it by sulfering a handful of weak enemies and then charge blasting away at stronger guys while the weaker ones are stunned. I prefer Smoke Rockets above all for taking out individual enemies because of its travel speed. I usually dodge around enemies and behind cover instead of up buldings with smoke. With Neon I focus on chaining together subdues for Karma Bomb (it's the only one I ever use) which is its own fun gameplay niche compared to the rest. Very hard to do from above because of the occasional accidental execution but neon grenades do help. I love the flow of slowdown-speedup and I'm almost always either running or slowing down time like a colorful Mass Effect 3 Vanguard, just running up to people, blast, bounce. Video is super situational and it can be a lot of fun too. Flight mobility is fucking insane and I stay in the fray while I'm using it because good luck hitting me. When you do I'll just disappear son smash you from a rooftop. I like the melee for stragglers and the hover-aim enables some pretty great platforming and rooftop shenanigans. Man I love this game's combat but I guess a lot of that has to do with what you make of it

FeD.nL

Beat the game on normal (hero).

Is it worth it to replay it as evil? Not really looking forward to all those copy/paste side quests again...

The upgrades for the powers make it so powers that were great when on good karma
neon
are pretty shit on evil
but three demons on evil karma with the video power is awesome
. Keeps a second evil playthrough feeling fresh tbh.

RetroStu

Banned
See my edit. You say something about controlling the game.
Actually say that you control the spraying missions using the touchpad. Thats bullshit.

I thought you used the touch pad and that was just a 10 second side quest, i didn't mention about controlling the character or the main gameplay.
Jesus guys this isn't a court of law. I give up.

-PXG-

I'm quoting this because it HAS to be quoted. This is by far, the dumbest, most ignorant post I've seen in a long time on GAF. You really should be ashamed of yourself. Like seriously. Sit in a corner and think long and hard about what you said.

RetroStu

Banned
You mentioned controlling the spray paint segments with the touch pad, something that rubbed you the wrong way. Except it doesn't control with the touch pad. Something you would've noticed if you had played the actual game. Try again.

My mistake, i didn't mention anything about controlling the game apart from the spray paint side missions which i stand corrected on.

julrik

Help! How do I open this?

BjbvpZWIIAAEgCy.jpg:large

BjbvU9TIgAE1KPu.jpg:large

aly

That's not true at all. There are a lot of references to the previous games and events that occurred in many different ways but rightfully this is a separate title in that it's its own thing.

Ah ok. I think some people were expecting Infamous 3 and not what is basically a new story. My friend felt it was so disappointing and was ranting about how betrayed he felt as a fan and how the first games might as well not exist.

Top Bottom