• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

anddo0

Well I got to the second island. I'm doing the first mission as speak. I paused the game to say. I have to side with reviewers like Adam Sessler when it comes to difficulty. It just feels cheap now, not challenging at all. I hate when games throw larger number of enemies at you with extra HP and armor to make things more "difficult".

Moneal

I hope sucker punch gets away from the binary good or bad thing in the future. They need a deeper more nuanced morality system that isn't so black and white. Less The Avengers and more The Watchmen.

I really think thats the point of the name "inFamous" you are either a hero or a villain. especially within the infamous world those are the only two possibilities for the main character. The "normals" are afraid of conduits and
as the story showed, mob mentality took over after the beast.
Cole and Delsin are the becons of hope or loathing as the face of the Conduits. Through each game you basically say conduits are going to band together and destroy "normals", or you are going to show them that you can coexist and even save them from danger and oppression. Being neutral or anywhere off those paths just doesn't seem right in that world.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Welp, I'm screwed. I just got the 3rd power on my expert run and I didn't switch the difficulty before I moved. I'm still going to finish and get 100% on my evil. Then I'll just blaze through the story again, I guess.

edit: SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT

Ouch. The pain.

Jarnet87

Have the graphics in SS met expectations or did it fall into the downgradeaton vortex that's been going on lately? I've only seen the game briefly on a stream.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You have to hit the menu button before you even tilt the analog stick

Any movement before you change to expert will cause you to miss the trophy, even if it's before you see a single enemy

You know this how? There is plenty of time before any combat , why do they care if you touch the stick or not?

Is there a lot to collect in this game? I really like just running around open cities, exploring, and finding collectibles. Like the agility orbs in Crackdown. Or is it mostly just a story based game in a city with not much to collect or do outside the story?

hydruxo

Have the graphics in SS met expectations or did it fall into the downgradeaton vortex that's been going on lately? I've only seen the game briefly on a stream.

Exceeded. Screens and streams of this game look great but you don't realize how incredible it looks until you play it yourself IMO.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

It's improved since the reveal and is one of the most impressive new gen games, if not the most impressive new gen game out right now, graphically speaking.

M3z_

Finished the game. That was fun, but not amazing, though I have never felt the infamous games were anything more that very good. That said super impressed by the graphics and 2nd and 3rd powers were both awesome. Still not a fan of game design that does not allow for your to skillfully avoid damage, regenerative health so often is a bane to game design.

Tobor

Is there a lot to collect in this game? I really like just running around open cities, exploring, and finding collectibles. Like the agility orbs in Crackdown. Or is it mostly just a story based game in a city with not much to collect or do outside the story?

You'll be very happy.

Moneal

There are quite a lot of blast shards to collect. and side missions to do, though they are basically the same few for each district.

Kyoufu

A lot of Blast Shards for you to collect.

edit: beaten :(

AgentP

There are shards to collect. They are used to upgrade powers. There are other things, like cameras and checkpoints to take out also (checkpoints yield shards too).

Sorian

Banned
You know this how? There is plenty of time before any combat , why do they care if you touch the stick or not?

I don't think he knows that for sure, I think he is still just salty that he won't/didn't get the trophy in a run that he expected to. The way people have made it sound is you just can't make any progress in the game before switching the difficulty. I don't remember exactly how the game starts but I think this would mean you need to do it before starting the tag or, if the tag happens right after a cutscene then after the tag but before the next cutscene starts.

Moneal

Finished the game. That was fun, but not amazing, though I have never felt the infamous games were anything more that very good. That said super impressed by the graphics and 2nd and 3rd powers were both awesome. Still not a fan of game design that does not allow for your to skillfully avoid damage, regenerative health so often is a bane to game design.

Had the same thoughts as I played through the first time. But now that I am playing through a second time, damage avoidance is alot better for me now. each dash ability works great in that regard especially Smoke and
Video

David___

Banned
If you want to make sure you qualify for the Expert trophy, load up your completed file from your first playthrough, change the difficulty to Expert then start the new game.

Skilletor

Beat my first playthrough.

Went good the entire way, enjoyed it greatly. I'll probably play through it again eventually. Loved the game the whole way through.

AgentP

I don't think he knows that for sure, I think he is still just salty that he won't/didn't get the trophy in a run that he expected to. The way people have made it sound is you just can't make any progress in the game before switching the difficulty. I don't remember exactly how the game starts but I think this would mean you need to do it before starting the tag or, if the tag happens right after a cutscene then after the tag but before the next cutscene starts.

I recall not being able to get to the menu around those parts. I had to wait until after the crash of the truck. Seems to me they should just ask you in the beginning, but even then anything before Seattle is just cut scene or interactive cut scene.

Finally got the third power, and wow... this game is amazing now. With each power the arsenal gets even more interesting, and the verticality of the south island is so much fun. I'm really impressed with this game and grats to SP for making their first truly great game. I think they always had the talent, but now they have the budget and that extra bit of presentation and polish really went a long way with this game.

AgentP

Am I clearing out too many districts or are there just way more blast shards than you actually need?

No, there are exactly the amount you need to fully upgrade every power. You might have to bank them until you unlocked upgrades via karma or new powers though.

So my verdict after 100% the game on a 'hero' play-through.

Pros

- Fun combat. Simple yet functional.
- A sizeable and fun open world to play about in.
- Each of the powers is fairly different and adds great combat variety.
- Amazing graphics, perhaps the best looking console game ever made.
- The soundtrack is strong for the most part.
- Engaging and at times emotional story with plenty of twists and turns. Game has humour and drama in equal measure. Well handled cinematics.
- Likeable central character.
- Great use of the controller speaker and six axis.
- The open world feels like a living breathing city under marshall law.
- Lots of post game content to give longevity. Roughly 15hrs for to 100% clear.

Cons

- Story is a little short.
- Platforming / traversal feels a little worse than previous infamous games.
- Found the
video
power a little underwhelming.
- Boss fights are frustrating and poorly designed.
- Game walks the line between being fairly easy and then at times overly difficult. Needs a finer balance.
- While there is a good deal of extra content it basically boils down to the same 4 mission types and so becomes a chore at times.

So overall I really enjoyed the game and outside of the boss battles most of my complaints are rather minor. I'd score it an 8/10. Certainly a must by for fans of previous Infamous games and open world junkies. Also the first essential PS4 exclusive.

GeeDuhb

I read the past few pages and didn't see anything about this, so forgive me if it has been discussed.

As far as Paper Trail, is this something that can be played along with the game or is it better to beat it first and then go into Paper Trail?

Tobor

I read the past few pages and didn't see anything about this, so forgive me if it has been discussed.

As far as Paper Trail, is this something that can be played along with the game or is it better to beat it first and then go into Paper Trail?

It can definitely be played along with the game. That's how I'm doing it and it fits in nicely.

Dead

well not really...yet
wow, so I thought everything on the paper trail website was all there was and it would gradually unlock, but I guess its only part 1 (meaning 6 parts total) and the rest will show later. It has 3 console missions, so I guess thats where the 19 missions come from, 3 each week (with one week having 4 I assume)

Dragon

Banned
I feel like everyone that is complaining about regenerative health issues really isn't using the third power properly. It's incredibly overpowered.

wow, so I thought everything on the paper trail website was all there was and it would gradually unlock, but I guess its only part 1 (meaning 6 parts total) and the rest will show later. It has 3 console missions, so I guess thats where the 19 missions come from, 3 each week (with one week having 4 I assume)

Yeah the Paper Trail missions are actually better than Cole's Legacy IMO. I'm pretty pooped, so I may take a few days off before going on my evil run.

I was a little disappointed that (early-to-mid-game spoilers)
I beat the bridge mission boss with just smoke powers, not drawing from a neon thing at all, and the cutscene afterward seemed to act as if I did.
Does that cutscene go any differently if you
use neon powers
?

I feel like everyone that is complaining about regenerative health issues really isn't using the third power properly. It's incredibly overpowered.

Yup, Its my favorite power. All you have to do is buy all the upgrades for your
Invisibility
and you can then Subdue or execute almost all the regular enemy with 0 hassle. You get your Karma Bomb in no time.

Also I'm loving The Paper Trail mission. Can't wait for part two!

Pastry

Banned
Soooo I think two of the tracker drones in pioneer square are invisible. They show up moving around on the map but even when they're right on top of me I can't find them.

The Lamp

Why are people so bad at the boss fights?

Maybe it's because I play Dark Souls but these boss fights aren't hard in the slightest...they're "rinse-and-repeat" for each one. They're tedious if anything at times, but at least it's pretty to watch Delsin kick their asses.

Assanova

I love this game. First game I've played that had that next gen feel to it. Also love that we finally got a game that didn't take place in the typical NY or LA inspired city. Seattle is fun to explore.

Just finished up and man was it good. I honestly thought I was gonna loose interest in the game partway through like Infamous 1 and 2. Now I'm off to collect the rest of the shards. Out of all the powers neon has been my favorite.

viveks86

iuYaitCxKdeYn.jpg

Poor Sly

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm in love with the tagging side missions. I wish there were 100 more. Can't speak for evil, but the good designs are really great.
Yeah, the taggings are legitimately cool. Some really neat visual designs.

Anyone know if they had someone from outside SP come up with the tagging designs? If not, fucking props to their art guys...

Top Bottom