• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Final boss. I don't get the complaints about the bosses in this, honestly. They're not great (though this final one is shaping up to possibly be) but they're hardly terrible, and they've been a breeze on expert thus far.

Edit: This is the first boss I've had any real trouble with, but it's also kind of awesome.

It's been argued to death already, and there's been a lot of meaningless crap like going after Sessler for his lukewarm review and valid criticisms, but there's an excellent paper to be written on why certain video games get 9s across the board and some get 8s across the board.

I knew I wanted to Platinum so first thing I checked as soon as I could pause was the difficulty, along with inverting the camera.

With inFAMOUS, Uncharted, et cetera I always play on the hardest difficulty available first for the completion trophies then go play again in the easiest difficulty.

KORNdoggy

I knew I wanted to Platinum so first thing I checked as soon as I could pause was the difficulty, along with inverting the camera.

With inFAMOUS, Uncharted, et cetera I always play on the hardest difficulty available first for the completion trophies then go play again in the easiest difficulty.

That's what i'm doing. Completing it on expert as a good guy was far from challenging, but playing evil on easy makes you feel like some bad ass GOD. I'm loving the game even more on my second playthrough. And it'll be my first current gen platinum, much like the first infamous was my first previous gen platinum.

sn00zer

Im sooo late, but I made this such a long time ago and finally the game is out
ibrTJQpnigZr32.gif

I switched to expert the moment Delsin got his smoke powers because I forgot all about it.

Now I'm in the middle of the game, do you think I'll get the expert trophy or will I have to restart the whole thing again.

Dragon

Banned
I enjoy Delsin's prank calls for the District Showdowns lol.

Troy Baker is so awesome.

I really wish we could have gotten side missions with a little more variety. Like one of the missions is Delsin trying to date that woman by infiltrating the DUP's central location or something silly like that. Because yeah the back and forth is great.

I'm glad they don't have those annoying enemies spamming 1 hit kill rockets in this game.

*looks at Infamous 2*

Yeah it's certainly a better designed game than 2. I felt like Delsin had the proper motivation as well, sometimes I was conflicted with Cole.

Napophis

is the papertrail site down? just finished my 100% hero playthrough and now going back to do the papertrail mission, but i can't start part 1 because the site seems to down and i can't connect to make a profile ><

Dragon

Banned
is the papertrail site down? just finished my 100% hero playthrough and now going back to do the papertrail mission, but i can't start part 1 because the site seems to down and i can't connect to make a profile ><

Keep refreshing, it will eventually come up. It was very much up and down for me, but I did complete Part 1.

PBY

Banned
Just beat the bridge boss

Game was annoying on normal, but I got better/upgraded, so then it was too easy. Bumped it up to expert, and Im having way more fun. Still have no idea how I'm dying about 50% of the time- ie who killed me/from what direction. Next game should try to be better about this, even a kill cam or something would help.

Replicant

I hate neon with a passion except for the dash but with the 3rd power I'll never use neon again unleased forced to

I thought Neon is pretty useless except for the Karma bomb and the nonstop run. If I can alternate those easily with all of my smoke powers, I'd have been happy. That's the other thing that I want: being able to alternate my powers without having to drain the associated element first from a nearby area. I just want to scroll left/right using the d-pad to change them.

cdkee

Banned
I thought Neon is pretty useless except for the Karma bomb and the nonstop run. If I can alternate those easily with all of my smoke powers, I'd have been happy. That's the other thing that I want: being able to alternate my powers without having to drain the associated element first from a nearby area. I just want to scroll left/right using the d-pad to change them.

I just finished my evil run. Neon is so much better on evil.

Just finished the first set of clues for paper trail on the website now I can't log in through the game to continue. Fix this shit sucker punch. Gotta say this is a neat feature, just needs to work.

I have yet to finish the game, but can spoke one spoiler tag the answer to this question; when you finish the game, are you allowed to adjust the time of day/weather for post - story free roam?

Replicant

I just finished my evil run. Neon is so much better on evil.

Looking forward to my Evil playthrough then! One question though:
Do you need to pick evil side on the betty pick a side part?
to be qualified as true "Evil"? I kind of don't want to. Can I stay Evil if I just choose Evil for every other choices from then on? How does the game determine if you completed it on Good or Evil side?

McFadge

Completed my Hero playthrough, now going through on Evil. Neon is definitely my favourite power for traversal, even if not the most effective. The
infinite dash
on that guy is amazing.

Starting again for my Evil playthrough and losing all the powers made me resort to climbing a lot again, and does anybody else think it feels worse than than the first two games? It may just be a matter of the environment design, because I often find Delsin doesn't grab onto what looks like a ledge, and there are a fair amount of times a wall I'm scaling angles out overhead and Delsin refuses to jump outwards to grab on.

Story wise, the presentation is a lot better, but I didn't feel as engaged as Infamous 2. Maybe I just haven't played it in a while, but it seemed to have a better pace of progression.

After playing this all weekend I'm going to come out and say that it will take something insanely good to top this as my GOTY. The story, soundtrack and voice acting are top notch (I liked Delsin and Reggie a lot more than Cole and Zeke) but it is the gameplay and the visuals that set a new bar in open world games imo. I thought neon couldn't be topped but holy sh*t that third power is so cool.
I finished that mission where you chase Hank around downtown Seattle using the video traversal mechanic. Jumping into a dish, growing wings and soaring at insane altitudes looking down on the action from above
is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game.

I have never, ever platinumed any Playstation game. I'm already a huge chunk of the way there with my initial good playthrough and am pretty confident I'll do it during the evil one I'm going to start next week. Well done Sucker Punch for making every other open world game seem boring to me. The bar they have set is insanely high.

TEH-CJ

Banned
It's the truth.

I agree

3 games now and its been the same shit.

Kill the marine dudes in yellow. Blow up a power core. Rinse and repeat. No stand out set pieces, no memorable moments. Just repetitive tasks.

in terms of tech its really good. But 12 hours of doing the same stuff? Nah no thanks.

was fun for a couple of hours flying through the city and killing some dudes.

Credits rolling on my first playthrough (evil/expert). Great game! Fairly easy, but I died just enough times to have it not feel absolutely mindless (the hardest thing in the game is finding 10 sign twirlers :lol ). Time to clear up some trophies and do a quick Good run on normal or easy.

cdkee

Banned
Looking forward to my Evil playthrough then! One question though:
Do you need to pick evil side on the betty pick a side part?
to be qualified as true "Evil"? I kind of don't want to. Can I stay Evil if I just choose Evil for every other choices from then on? How does the game determine if you completed it on Good or Evil side?

Not sure. I picked evil on all of the choices.

Really? I was sniping guys all day long with the neon powers.

I think giving you power switching on the fly would be way too OP. It makes sense that you can't hold two power resources at the same time - you can't shoot "smoky neon". And draining power feels good and lets you get "in the mood" to use it. It also adds to the ebb and flow of the combat, making you have to retreat tactically and think about your next power source.

I really wish we could have gotten side missions with a little more variety. Like one of the missions is Delsin trying to date that woman by infiltrating the DUP's central location or something silly like that. Because yeah the back and forth is great.

The side content in this game is like 3rd tier side content. You know, like missions are 1st tier, side missions are 2nd tier, and then there's 3rd tier. 3rd tier is the "destroy all stuff, collect all things, take pictures of all these, tag all those, steal all these, etc" category. There's nothing wrong with that kind of content as long as it plays the background, there for people who want to squeeze every drop out of the game, but it's right there on the stage dancing with the 1st tier missions in Second Son. That's not enough. There's a hole between the main missions and the 3rd tier stuff that could've filled out Second Son giving the city and more characters a chance to shine. it feels lacking. The game needs some quirky reoccurring side characters, or side missions that touch on different ideas and personalities within Seattle.

Kyoufu

Easier to aim for the head and get one hit kills. Those guys kill each other when they blow up, chain reaction. Then you get the karma bomb.

But no slow-mo. It made the
He Who Dwells
boss and
three Juggernaut DUPs that ambush you at the bus part
a total joke on Expert.

I can't bring myself to use Neon on Evil anymore. I can't.

Saying that, the third power is so good that I can't willingly use anything else.

Tygamr

I'm kind of disappointed with the way they portrayed Seattle in this game. It isn't bad- just really small. The game only really takes place downtown. Seattle is a lot bigger, and they cut out south Seattle, north Seattle, Ballard (which reminds me- there is a bay called Salmon Bay in Ballard, which is confusing because Delsin lives near a 'Salmon Bay' in the game. Maybe in the inFAMOUS universe the other parts of Seattle are all not Seattle and are all rural rather than urban?), Northgate, Greenlake, etc.

That's really it though, and it doesn't detract from the experience at all.

Just got neon and did the evil fight with
fetch then we fucked
And holy fucking shit pulling of that neon ult is so fucking pretty and powerful. Love the sniping with them too.. Gameplay in this game is just awesome.

Like the neon more then smoke at this point

I just reached the area after the 2nd boss and my fucking jaw is on the floor. Seriously I have NEVER been this impressed by the visuals of any other game ever. Don't know how many times I have just stood and looked around in complete awe of it all.

I am now within the downtown square with all the video walls on the skyscrapers. There has to be countless colors all over the place from the reflections of the lighting, which occur off cars / windows / water / etc. AMAZING

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to ask, is their anyone in the thread who thought both Infamous 1 and 2 were pretty poor games and bought this anyway ? Just wondering how someone from that perspective is finding it. This isn't me shitting on the game btw, I've not played it so I'm not saying either way, but just that I'm tempted by the game regardless of the first two so I'm curious from that perspective.

SeanR1221

Just finished the game :(

I wish it wasn't so short but it was a hell of a ride.

I probably won't go back and do a good karma expert run (I hate re playing games), but I'll do all the side stuff.

I really hope this game has some good dlc. I'm also excited to see what they can do with a sequel now that the engines in place. He content feels lacking but maybe that's just because I want more more more.

Completed the game, got every shard, cleared every district.

Went evil but I must admit I didn't go evil for every choice.

I'm a bit confused though. I saw that
Zeke
is listed in the credits but never encountered the character. Part of the day one patch? I downloaded it but perhaps it didn't install. The game seemed incredibly light on side missions too.

Zafir

Just finished the game as well, shocked by how short it was. I was expecting something closer to 20 hours than 10. :/ I didn't exactly skimp on the side stuff either, did about 60-70% of it. Was fun while it lasted though.

gazele

Banned
But no slow-mo. It made the
He Who Dwells
boss and
three Juggernaut DUPs that ambush you at the bus part
a total joke on Expert.

I can't bring myself to use Neon on Evil anymore. I can't.

Saying that, the third power is so good that I can't willingly use anything else.

Pretty much, I thought the third power was the most lame but definitely the most useful, at least for evil

jet1911

Just saw the TV spot. Pretty sure the ad is 60fps. Or it's sped up. Wish the game was that smooth.

On another note <3<3<3 Neon.

David___

Banned
Completed the game, got every shard, cleared every district.

Went evil but I must admit I didn't go evil for every choice.

I'm a bit confused though. I saw that
Zeke
is listed in the credits but never encountered the character. Part of the day one patch? I downloaded it but perhaps it didn't install. The game seemed incredibly light on side missions too.

You hear Zeke in
the final part of Cole's Legacy.

Kuldar

Finished my second playthrough. I played in expert and didn't see a big change compare to normal. I changed the difficulty at the begining
when Delsin use the paint spray
and I got the trophy.

IvorB

It's piss easy because by design, the game is shallow. YMMV depending on you as a player but yes, this is a cake walk.

The game world is broken down to seemingly a handful of activities: stop a drug deal (apparently a problem in seattle), look for hidden camera, look for spy, spray paint and destroy police target to gain new power. its the latter where you find yourself being shot at. Its easy to avoid if you keep your distance and hide behind a pillar, building, or smoke up a chimney to hide. Alternatively, you can take bigger risks and get in close. Easy to nullify difficulty there as well using smoke bombs to QTE arrest every enemy. The game also gives you an over powered rocket missile to launch. In the first hour or so, I maxed out this projectile and increased the number I could launch to 4-5.

I fought two bosses and beat both on first try. The first has an obstacle in middle of fight that you can circle to strafe and jump out of hiding to shoot dude in face.

All Expert does is increase damage taken but then all you need to do is go up a building, soak up powers and refill your energy and take pot shots from afar again.

So yeah, this is all by the numbers. You've played and seen these strategies before. Combat is not challenging by any means but then again, I question if combat is even a priority in the game to begin with. I truly think this is just a toybox game where you get to "pew pew" cool looking powers and that's it. The challenges in the game give you a reason to do them outside of using your own imagination.

Thanks, mate. Been playing it for the passed few hours and I think it's pretty great. Yeah the combat encounters haven't been that challenging so far but on expert you have to at least think about what you're doing. Made it to about 19% criminal and having a blast so far. And the graphics, man. Wow. And it all runs so smoothly. Pretty impressed actually; can't wait to play more. I hope there's more sections like the Space Needle; that was off the hook.

Is there another difficulty after expert or some type of new game+?

Just wanted to ask, is their anyone in the thread who thought both Infamous 1 and 2 were pretty poor games and bought this anyway ? Just wondering how someone from that perspective is finding it. This isn't me shitting on the game btw, I've not played it so I'm not saying either way, but just that I'm tempted by the game regardless of the first two so I'm curious from that perspective.

I didn't think 1 & 2 were bad games per se but I found them very mediocre. Cole had all the character of a piece of damp cardboard and Zeke was pretty awful. The power sets for most part did not make you feel like a superhero and felt like reskinned TPS staples. Infamous 1 was too repetitive and I absolutely hate games set in modern day New York (I lived there for years and am just bored by the setting). It also looked and ran like crap. It was a 5/10 game in my book. Infamous 2 got better in the second half and post Ice Launch finally made you feel like a superhero. It was an improvement but still looked average and relied on too much filler material. It was a 6-7/10 game for me.

In my humble opinion Infamous Second Son is by far the best Infamous game ever, probably the best superhero game ever and also the best game released on a "next"(current) gen console to date. I like the characters, story and soundtrack and it fixes my biggest problems with the previous games. The graphics have gone from average to best in class, the powers feel incredible, the gameplay feels fluid and the story is tight and focused and does not overstay its welcome (a medium length good game is better than a sprawling unpolished boring mess). Some of the side activities are repetitive but the gameplay is so good that you don't mind doing them. The only negative (and the only step back from 2) is the lack of enemy variety. It would have been fun to have enemy conduits that used something other than concrete. Its easily a 9/10 (maybe higher once I do the evil playthrough). I never bothered to play more than a few samples of the others games as evil. In this one, I can't wait to get back in.

Anyone else have issues with the combat in this game? It just isn't 'clicking' for me.

It took me a while to get use to each power. Each has their own feel and tactics. Once I got that down, combat became pretty fun. Don't know about you, but I think a lot of the people who say the powers are the same and don't think combat is fun are trying to snipe with all the powers at range. At least for me that is a really boring way to play.

This game is so awesome, the scene where Delsin's brother put the vest is hilarious!!! Also the Chinatown district is so freaking beautiful the graphics are ridiculous!! Amazing

Top Bottom