• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Brandwin

Just finished the game :(

I wish it wasn't so short but it was a hell of a ride.

I probably won't go back and do a good karma expert run (I hate re playing games), but I'll do all the side stuff.

I really hope this game has some good dlc. I'm also excited to see what they can do with a sequel now that the engines in place. He content feels lacking but maybe that's just because I want more more more.

Do you regret going evil on your playthrough? I started evil, but keep thinking I should have went good (only an hour or so in though) I won't play this twice.

Anyone else have issues with the combat in this game? It just isn't 'clicking' for me.
I think a lot of people run into problems with combat because they stay too stationary. I find that if you keep moving and getting superior vantage points on the enemies, things tend to flow very well. If you stand there and try to overwhelm them with firepower, you usually get overwhelmed yourself. Neon and the third power can pretty much shut down everything.

krioto

I will never get sick of re-filling the Neon meter - it just looks incredible. Combined with infinite neon run - just blown away by how good this game looks.
and I'm loving the story and the combat - feel like a god-damn super-hero

iamjohn

Just finished and wow
the final boss battle was great. I think sucker punch does a really good job of making you feel 'powerful' so to speak. I thought it was going to be frustrating, dying tons of times, but no, it was awesome.
Great game.

I think a lot of people run into problems with combat because they stay too stationary. I find that if you keep moving and getting superior vantage points on the enemies, things tend to flow very well. If you stand there and try to overwhelm them with firepower, you usually get overwhelmed yourself. Neon and the third power can pretty much shut down everything.

Agreed, Infamous combat has always been about mobility, and the reliance on finding spots to charge your powers makes you constantly on the move. Standing in front of a machine gun will melt you pretty quick, so dodge out of the way and find a flanking position.

I found it curious that people were asking for/about a cover system before the game came out. Because superheroes love to take cover!

I will never get sick of re-filling the Neon meter - it just looks incredible. Combined with infinite neon run - just blown away by how good this game looks.
and I'm loving the story and the combat - feel like a god-damn super-hero

It's the little touches like the power drain sound going into the controller which make me totally geek out.

The third power and the lead up to it are some next level shit.
I didn't like that boss fight. I thought it was too long. I ended up bumping the difficulty down to easy just to get it over with even though I could have finished it normally. Then again I go against the general gaming public in that I HATE boss fights.

IvorB

Just wanted to ask, is their anyone in the thread who thought both Infamous 1 and 2 were pretty poor games and bought this anyway ? Just wondering how someone from that perspective is finding it. This isn't me shitting on the game btw, I've not played it so I'm not saying either way, but just that I'm tempted by the game regardless of the first two so I'm curious from that perspective.

Yeah I tried the previous inFamous games and didn't think they were very good but I'm having a great time with this so far. I really, really love the combat in this. I would love to see it pushed to its limits with some really tough and imaginative combat encounters. So it's worth getting even if it's just to see the damn thing in motion and feel great about your PS4 :).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I didn't like that boss fight. I thought it was too long. I ended up bumping the difficulty down to easy just to get it over with even though I could have finished it normally. Then again I go against the general gaming public in that I HATE boss fights.

I sort of agree. The lead-up and presentation are phenomenal and way out of left field, but the fight itself has a very boring progression that takes longer than the the length of time that it can keep your interest.

I found it curious that people were asking for/about a cover system before the game came out. Because superheroes love to take cover!

Well, inFamous 1 and 2 had cover systems, so it's not unreasonable to think that Second Son would have one as well. However, the old dodge/cover button has been replaced by the traversal moves.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Do you get a shield power at any point?

Not exactly

Endgame spoiler

The concrete power's traversal move gives you an armored form that's impervious to most types of damage, but is constantly running and can be hard to control in tight spaces. If you hit something you can't break, you fall out of the form.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think 1 & 2 were bad games per se but I found them very mediocre. Cole had all the character of a piece of damp cardboard and Zeke was pretty awful. The power sets for most part did not make you feel like a superhero and felt like reskinned TPS staples. Infamous 1 was too repetitive and I absolutely hate games set in modern day New York (I lived there for years and am just bored by the setting). It also looked and ran like crap. It was a 5/10 game in my book. Infamous 2 got better in the second half and post Ice Launch finally made you feel like a superhero. It was an improvement but still looked average and relied on too much filler material. It was a 6-7/10 game for me.

In my humble opinion Infamous Second Son is by far the best Infamous game ever, probably the best superhero game ever and also the best game released on a "next"(current) gen console to date. I like the characters, story and soundtrack and it fixes my biggest problems with the previous games. The graphics have gone from average to best in class, the powers feel incredible, the gameplay feels fluid and the story is tight and focused and does not overstay its welcome (a medium length good game is better than a sprawling unpolished boring mess). Some of the side activities are repetitive but the gameplay is so good that you don't mind doing them. The only negative (and the only step back from 2) is the lack of enemy variety. It would have been fun to have enemy conduits that used something other than concrete. Its easily a 9/10 (maybe higher once I do the evil playthrough). I never bothered to play more than a few samples of the others games as evil. In this one, I can't wait to get back in.

Yeah I tried the previous inFamous games and didn't think they were very good but I'm having a great time with this so far. I really, really love the combat in this. I would love to see it pushed to its limits with some really tough and imaginative combat encounters. So it's worth getting even if it's just to see the damn thing in motion and feel great about your PS4 :).

Good stuff, thanks for your thoughts :) Doesn't mean I'll enjoy it but I'm willing to give it a fair go. Payday here I come! :p

I sort of agree. The lead-up and presentation are phenomenal and way out of left field, but the fight itself has a very boring progression that takes longer than the the length of time that it can keep your interest.

Yeah it's nice to have a boss fight without any QTEs, but they need to be more varied to make up for it. Either improve melee combat to let that add another dimension, or add multiple stages and different attack patterns.

Anyone know where i can find the 6-digit code for the tracker drone in the paper trail?

It changes. When you enter numbers, it'll tell you which are a) in the correct space, b) which are in the code but not in the space they were entered and c) not in the code at all. I think it gives you six tries, you can work it out after a few.

Tobor

It's unique each time you load the page. You need to right click the browser page and "view source code", then just look for the 6 digit number. At least that's how I found it.

Haha. At least try the puzzle, it's fairly easy once you understand how it works.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just finished the main game. I did a few side quests, but I'm far from being 100% done.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the story and and the length of the game. Actually I'm a little shocked by how short it is. I'm usually not a story guy, I don't really care as long as the game is fun. However Infamous 1 was so much fun in this regard and I wish Second son's story was as fun as the first game.

Also I could be wrong but I remember the missions in Infamous being a lot more varied. I haven't played it in a while so I'm not sure.

I love the powers and the combat felt great. I just wish there was more enemy variations. I got tired of the same concrete powered baddie. Gimme some Neon, video or even electrical enemies.

Going to finish clearing out DUP and replay as an asshole :)

8/10

kgrock618

It's unique each time you load the page. You need to right click the browser page and "view source code", then just look for the 6 digit number. At least that's how I found it.

It changes. When you enter numbers, it'll tell you which are a) in the correct space, b) which are in the code but not in the space they were entered and c) not in the code at all. I think it gives you six tries, you can work it out after a few.

Ok thanks guys! Got it

I'm actually finding the game even more fun on my second playthrough, (Expert, Evil). Which is weird, because I almost never replay games, especially immediately.

I think it's just being so much better at the combat this time around, even on expert I'm just darting around and annihilating everything in my sight. Oh and maybe because with evil you can just wreak havoc without worrying about those silly civilians :)

I wonder if they can add more combos in the game for up close melee? Most ppl seem to like the game better on the harder difficulty, and I find it most fun when it's challenging. I also love the length, I don't want. 25 hour game that over stays it's welcome, I think game developes are going to start giving us shorter more polarized stories and I'm ok with that. Favorite ps4 game so far, haven't finished it yet, but will definitely play it again as evil. Only request for a sequel is a bigger more varied world. Side missions that change up the gameplay like bike riding, taking pics, putting on headphones and accessing the music on your ps4 while you ride the train, the ability to hand shake with pedestrians, I think so much more can be done with the world and the combat engine could use a deeper Melee system with...

Looks like another franchise just got leveled up...

So glad they removed cover. The first couple games were difficult for me at first because cover encouraged, well, using cover. In SS it took nothing for me to realize "oh yeah, just never stop moving."

Lebron

Just got the dat one power. I can't

ioMzKf5VgS0Py.gif

ibuwjcrcCA4FTk.gif

I was not prepared

ibjURbUhd3B3vl.gif

Was not

olimpia84

Ok, got to the point where you get the second power. Yup, this is next gen graphics right here; love how the city looks at night with all the neon effects.
btw is there an easy way to switch powers? I pressed about every button on the controller but can't figure out how to do it

Dead

well not really...yet
Ok, got to the point where you get the second power. Yup, this is next gen graphics right here; love how the city looks at night with all the neon effects.
btw is there an easy way to switch powers? I pressed about every button on the controller but can't figure out how to do it
you have to absorb a corresponding power source

Loudninja

You have to train a source to switch.

Drain the one you want from the environment.

edit - beat

hydruxo

You just absorb neon from signs in the environment. Same with smoke from cars / vents.

I just realized that you can upgrade certain abilities multiple times. I did it once in the early game for smoke drain and forgot to look for it. I feel dumb. No wonder I had so many shards!

This is for people who have completed it.
Do you think the video invisibility power to subdue is OP, given that it only takes a few to get the epic special attack?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

You can't. You lose the power you as have as soon as you absorb another. If you want to go back to smoke, just absorb some more smoke. If you want neon back, absorb some neon goodness.

Just wait until you see the Neon effect during the day..

Top Bottom