• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Try putting your voices to 50% and then cranking your TV/receiver volume way up. Sucker Punch are just terrible at mixing their sound. The Orbital Drop sounds bad no matter you do though.

Mixing didn't seem that bad with PX4's and the Headphones option selected. Have dialog at 8, music at 9 and sound effects at default and it sounds fine to me.

Best to worst powers? Spoilers if you haven't finished, obviously

Traversal
1. Video - fastest and easiest to control
2. Neon - fast, not as easy to control
3. Concrete - slow, easy to control and steady
4. Smoke - normal, hard to get high

Normal Attack
1. Video - feels very satisfying, attacks are varied
2. Smoke - makes you feel really powerful, destructive
3. Concrete - satisfying, not varied
4. Neon - makes you feel underpowered

Super
1. Neon - easily the coolest looking, looks really powerful
2. Smoke - cool looking, up in the sky and all
3. Video - kinda boring but oh well
100. Concrete - I heard there wasn't one? I'll have to check.

Availability
1. Neon - everywhere, easy to get from the ground
2. Smoke - can be found in cars and on roofs somewhat easily
3. Video - rarely on ground, must climb buildings to find
4. Concrete - such a stupid mechanic to recharge, must get from downed enemies

Overall
1. Video
2. Neon
3. Smoke
4. Concrete

Dead

well not really...yet
Just finished paper trail part 1. This is a really neat idea for a side quest. Sucks we have to wait 5 more weeks to finish it!

Traversal
1. Video - fastest and easiest to control
2. Neon - fast, not as easy to control
3. Concrete - slow, easy to control and steady

Normal Attack
1. Video - feels very satisfying, attacks are varied
2. Smoke - makes you feel really powerful, destructive
3. Concrete - satisfying, not varied
4. Neon - makes you feel underpowered

Super
1. Neon - easily the coolest looking, looks really powerful
2. Smoke - cool looking, up in the sky and all
3. Video - kinda boring but oh well
100. Concrete - I heard there wasn't one? I'll have to check.

Availability
1. Neon - everywhere, easy to get from the ground
2. Smoke - can be found in cars and on roofs somewhat easily
3. Video - rarely on ground, must climb buildings to find
4. Concrete - such a stupid mechanic to recharge, must get from downed enemies

Overall
1. Video
2. Neon
3. Smoke
4. Concrete
Good Neon > Smoke > Video > Evil Neon> Concrete

The traversal options are great and kind of not so great at the same time.

I love the smoke traversal. The gutter-to-roof mechanic keeps you on your toes on being aware of your surroundings and works fantastically well with the hover and dash mechanics. You can definitely see it was well thought out.

Neon felt great at first but after a while I found it kind of, I don't know, boring? You can run up any obstacle at any time for any period of time. I don't even have to think about where I'm going.

Traversal of the third power is even worse.
I can just zippidy-doo-zap across anything and everything. I just mash the circle button and get up buildings even faster than I did with Neon.

I haven't gotten the final power yet. I'm going to assume it's going to be something even more OP.

I know this sounds like a nitpick, but I really did like the way traversal was handled in the first two inFamous games. Remember when everyone was raving about the Ice Launch? Such a simple mechanic of a large jump breathed a new dimension into the traversal, but it wasn't "run up everything lol". You still had to think about where you were going, how high it was, and how to get to where you wanted to go if you knew you weren't going to jump high enough.

You can definitely see Sucker Punch got lazy with the building facades as a result. Climbing buildings with any amount of regularity is extremely finicky. Far worse than either inFamous 1 or 2. I mean yes, they are far more detailed and maybe the structural complexity made climbing the buildings a little less straightfoward, but sometimes it's really just far more frustrating than it should be.

It's weird. Traversal mechanics are so much faster and flashier now, but in a sense you've lost all need to actually see where you're going. It feels like turning on a cheat.

Just started the game... And that stupid motion controlled spray can shit nearly made me turn the game off!

Really? I think it's one of the most unique ways motion control has been implemented. Shaking the controller and hearing the spray can sound from the controller speaker just gives that extra touch of realism. I personally had a smile on my face doing that.

Cudder

Just beat the game playing Hero, wow. What an awesome and amazingly fun game. Definitely my favourite infamous title.

When I start an evil run through, should I save over my good save or start a completely new one? What's everyone doing?

Defect

Just beat the game playing Hero, wow. What an awesome and amazingly fun game. Definitely my favourite infamous title.

When I start an evil run through, should I save over my good save or start a completely new one? What's everyone doing?
New save.

Kyoufu

Cole's legacy was disappointing to the max. A few audio logs and no real info.

Even the cameo
and Zeke's lines
were kind of wasted.

Shame, hope there are some more lore drops in the main story.

Sucker Punch almost completely ignore the previous games. I can see why they did it but it makes me sad a little. Infamous 1 had an interesting storyline IMO.

A part of me is a little bit curious about Nate Fox's original story for Infamous 3, which was supposed to be based on I2's evil ending.

Blastoise

Banned
Give it time. You will get used to it. It ended up being one of my favorite things to do in the game.

I thought it was awful at first too, but after 3-4 times you get used to it and then start to enjoy it actually. Really cool concept.

I don't know. For a first impression it really put me off. Why SP thought thats the best way to start the game I don't know. Otherwise I'm really enjoying infamous.

Has anyone figured out what the deal is why time of day
after finishing the game? I've finished twice now and each file has a different time of day afterwards...is it random? Want to play at night :(

Good/Evil.

Same as the other games. You'd have a blue sky or a red one.

Replicant

I don't know. For a first impression it really put me off. Why SP thought thats the best way to start the game I don't know. Otherwise I'm really enjoying infamous.

It ticked me off too at first then I realized that I should be holding my controller vertically like a spray can instead of horizontally and suddenly it clicked and I had more fun with it.

Yeah, the game kind of starts off odd, between that, the odd cinematic parkour thing they had going on, the sheer amount of cutscenes and whatnot... Still though, it doesn't screw around much once you actually get to the city.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Traversal

tumblr_inline_n0nnwh07oJ1ro8mkx.gif

coldone

Anyone else have issues with the combat in this game? It just isn't 'clicking' for me.

Yes. I hated the fact enemies spawn in the middle of the fight. This is the same stupidity I saw in KZ:SF. I don't this trend continue through out PS4 era. Hopefully this is not due to the CPU limitation.

- Enemies spawn behind the main character. Making it a 360 degree run in circles fire fight. Which I hate
- Not AI are there before the combat starts

Infamous 1/2 had a great setup, where I could completely survey the AI locations and stratergize before the fight starts.

McBryBry

Just started the game... And that stupid motion controlled spray can shit nearly made me turn the game off!

Along with what everyone else said, you'll get used to it.

I hated it at first because I was holding the controller normally and it was jumping everywhere. When I realized you're supposed to hold it like a spray can......I learned to love it.

EDIT: Beaten by Replicant, you crafty bastard.

Draper

Finished this evening. What an incredibly polished and well thought-out game. Powers were splendid and the graphics were jaw-dropping at times. Stunning art direction and character animations were phenomenal.

9/10 for me.

Renekton

It's weird. Traversal mechanics are so much faster and flashier now, but in a sense you've lost all need to actually see where you're going. It feels like turning on a cheat.
Neon and
Video
definitely spoiled things, although the latter still makes you stop and think where to find the next jump-off point, and Neon isn't good for roof to roof.

Like from a meta standpoint sure smoke is probably on the lower end, but I'll be damned if it isn't ridiculously fun. I figure I have at least 20 hours in the game so far, and I still never get tired of going in to vents or smoke dashing mid-air and then resuming hovering.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Neon and
Video
definitely spoiled things, although the latter still makes you stop and think where to find the next jump-off point, and Neon isn't good for roof to roof.

Neon is pretty good for roof to roof with the
jump
upgrade.

It ticked me off too at first then I realized that I should be holding my controller vertically like a spray can instead of horizontally and suddenly it clicked and I had more fun with it.

I guess people not treating the controller like a real spray can during this might not like doing it.
Maybe because I held the controller like a spray can with my index finger on the R2 button sold me on the motion controls.

Yes. I hated the fact enemies spawn in the middle of the fight. This is the same stupidity I saw in KZ:SF. I don't this trend continue through out PS4 era. Hopefully this is not due to the CPU limitation.

- Enemies spawn behind the main character. Making it a 360 degree run in circles fire fight. Which I hate
- Not AI are there before the combat starts

Infamous 1/2 had a great setup, where I could completely survey the AI locations and stratergize before the fight starts.
I don't remember enemies spawning in the middle of a fight; I'll have to go back and check that out. In my experience they always show up on the map and are easy to track.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I guess people not treating the controller like a real spray can during this might not like doing it.
Maybe because I held the controller like a spray can with my index finger on the R2 button sold me on the motion controls.

I held the controller normal, as I thought that's what you were supposed to do, and I liked the painting. It controls fine that way.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Doesn't it tell you do that when you spray stuff? I've done it everytime.

Just finished paper trail part 1. This is a really neat idea for a side quest. Sucks we have to wait 5 more weeks to finish it!

Easily one of my favorite aspects of the game. The motion controls felt really intuitive, the way you held the controller made it feel like you were holding a can, the light bar changes to the color of paint, the paint pee makes sounds inside the controller, the spray paint art is great.... What's not to like?

dreamfall

Yipes.

I'm not feeling the third power at all.

I just don't like where the story is going I guess- the whole Eugene is a gamer/was bullied and now we're fighting alongside Angels & demons... With Delsin encouraging him to find himself etc...

Bleh.
The power itself feels lazy to me- I thought Neon and Smoke really were really unique- in terms of changing traversal and combat. But Video? And satellite dishes to link flight, and scaling buildings with wings... I guess I'm just not into that bit.

Up to this point, I was all for it. Cleared out all the districts 100%, except for a single blast shard and was all in just to play the rest of the story. Here's hoping it ends well.

The Lamp

Yipes.

I'm not feeling the third power at all.

I just don't like where the story is going I guess- the whole Eugene is a gamer/was bullied and now we're fighting alongside Angels & demons... With Delsin encouraging him to find himself etc...

Bleh.
The power itself feels lazy to me- I thought Neon and Smoke really were really unique- in terms of changing traversal and combat. But Video? And satellite dishes to link flight, and scaling buildings with wings... I guess I'm just not into that bit.

Up to this point, I was all for it. Cleared out all the districts 100%, except for a single blast shard and was all in just to play the rest of the story. Here's hoping it ends well.

People think the third power is lazy... Now I really have seen it all.

dreamfall

People think the third power is lazy... Now I really have seen it all.

Subjectively to me, yes.

I think Alienous mentioned that it felt like Saints Row IV, more than inFAMOUS.

Up to that point, I felt like neon/smoke were really unique sets.

But after acquiring the third, I don't know- the comparison felt apt. Maybe it was the ease of movement, or scaling of buildings, or feeling too much like a rehash?

I've been loving the game, and really enjoying playing evil and exploring the wonderful recreation of Seattle. But that power/narrative direction/boss fight, soured me a little bit.

Top Bottom