• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Trouble

Banned
Just finished it.

Impressions:
- Perfect weekend game length. I played a few hours each day Fri-Sun and cleared every neighborhood to 0% D.U.P. control.
- Combat was fun and I appropriately felt like a badass. Death was not a big setback, so jumping into the fray without abandon never felt like a terrible idea. I did enjoy sniping the mobile station areas in advance.
- I wish I had more time with the
concrete
power. That's probably my fault for clearing the city entirely before getting it.
- What fucking universe is this Seattle in? :lol I live in Seattle and most of the neighborhood names are real neighborhood, but they are all jumbled up (Belltown is next to Seattle Center, IRL for example, not on the other side of... wait what is that water splitting the city in 2 parts? Sure as hell isn't the lake with no bridges and narrow canal we have.) Not a real complaint, just kinda hilarious as a resident.

Edit: Also, where are the hills? Seattle has tons of hills. hehe

Some Nobody

Yipes.

I'm not feeling the third power at all.

I just don't like where the story is going I guess- the whole Eugene is a gamer/was bullied and now we're fighting alongside Angels & demons... With Delsin encouraging him to find himself etc...

Bleh.
The power itself feels lazy to me- I thought Neon and Smoke really were really unique- in terms of changing traversal and combat. But Video? And satellite dishes to link flight, and scaling buildings with wings... I guess I'm just not into that bit.

Up to this point, I was all for it. Cleared out all the districts 100%, except for a single blast shard and was all in just to play the rest of the story. Here's hoping it ends well.

Put me on the opposite end of this. I like the third power more than Neon, and maaaybe more than Smoke. Neon controls weird to me, and Smoke just doesn't offer the same speed that the third power does.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I didn't know how I felt about the third powers at first.... then I upgraded it some.

42268-You-had-my-curiosity-but-now-y-MK6z.gif

<3 this game.

So redownloading the game on my friends PS4 to show him the game and what the bloody hell the in-game download is taking so damn long (Im at about the 2 hr mark and it says 2 hours to go)
This is weird because I remember this not taking very long on my PS4.

Grinchy

Banned
Put me on the opposite end of this. I like the third power more than Neon, and maaaybe more than Smoke. Neon controls weird to me, and Smoke just doesn't offer the same speed that the third power does.

I haven't messed with the 3rd power much yet but so far neon is my favorite. I like its moveset and I think it also has the best traversal (so far). The 3rd power seems like it might have even better traversal though.

hwateber

Put me in as someone who enjoyed the he who dwells fight. I thought it was a pretty unique take on adding a more
gamey
element. One district into my evil run on expert and it's awesome so far. Right from the onset, my first decision made me feel like a huge asshole

Good article. Totally reflects my thoughts. I absolutely plowed through the game on medium with little to no difficulty. I'm playing through it on expert now and it feels more like the difficulty of normal on Infamous 1. I distinctly remember having to strategize against the trash men when I first encountered them on Infamous 1. On ISS, I basically barged into their territory and blew away all enemies. It's mostly the same now on expert actually, I just die faster and run out of juice quicker. But that little tweak changes the game dramatically.

I should've played though ISS on expert first. And there needs to be like a super expert mode cause expert is still mostly a walk in the park.

viveks86

Got my psn message for $10 from Sony for buying infamous :)

Aww yiss! Me too! Will go towards my Fez purchase this week.

Good article. Totally reflects my thoughts. I absolutely plowed through the game on medium with little to no difficulty. I'm playing through it on expert now and it feels more like the difficulty of normal on Infamous 1. I distinctly remember having to strategize against the trash men when I first encountered them on Infamous 1. On ISS, I basically barged into their territory and blew away all enemies. It's mostly the same now on expert actually, I just die faster and run out of juice quicker. But that little tweak changes the game dramatically.

I should've played though ISS on expert first. And there needs to be like a super expert mode cause expert is still mostly a walk in the park.

I've been playing on expert the first time and I get my ass handed to me regularly. Don't think I can ever get past super expert. lol.

Zomba13

So power discussion (all powers discussed):
Smoke is kinda lame. It looks pretty with the smoke and ash and embers and has it's uses with the smoke grenade to get a group ready for take downs but it's kinda sucky for travel (even with the evil karma vent jump boost and double air dash). Karma bomb is kinda lame apart from providing some great views/occasional camera glitch to get a cool shot.

Neon is super fun and VERY pretty. Love draining signs for a top-up. The karma bomb attack for neon is my favourite. SO OP. It can take out an entire parking lot or one of the DUP tower things/DUP mobile command centres. And it looks great too. Love that you can subdue/execute guys with carefully placed shots and it's grenade is cool for crowd control/easy takedowns. It's neon run is fun too for traversal once you unlock endless running. Fletch is also a cool character and I like how she interacts with Delsin. Wish there was more character interaction in the game though. Not a fan of the missile as it takes too long to fire if you have slowdown up and are aiming, messes up my timing.

Power 3, Video. I love this for traversal. Flying up buildings and through satellite dishes is super cool. not a fan of the rapid burst machine gun like shooting though. Like that they mix it up with the grenade. Missile is great too. Fast and powerful and cool looking. The karma bomb is kinda lame though as you can't really use it with anything above you and it's linear and not in a circle AoE around you.
Not sure how I feel about the power as a concept though. In Infamous 1-2 the powers (can't remember the bosses though) were natural like fire, ice, lightning. Smoke is like, a focused offshoot of fire so I allow it, Neon could be the gas element but the user just chooses to make it react like the lights, also fine but video is a super man made thing. Like even with the talk of glass and concrete and plant/wood that feels more like a power than video. Video as a power is too loose. I mean Delsin.Eugene uses it for anime swords, angels/demons and wings and lasers but thats from a videogame Eugene plays. He could make anything if he has a source right? Just have a phone connected to youtube and *bam* Eugene now out Delsins Delsin.
Concrete! Used in the final battle and super disappointing. Traversal is only good for getting vertical height, peashooter seems ok, missile is ok for wide area but no karma bomb and only replenishes from DUP hurt it. Plus you can only use it post game sucks (especially if you beat all side content before the final battle). Really should have been able to draw it out anywhere (maybe hold left side of touch pad) and has infinite juice (due to it being concrete. Literally what the city is made of). Also WTF is up with us not getting the traversal stuff DUP get? I wanted to high-jump with a concrete pillar and make a concrete perch on walls!

Really want to see what SP has planned next (is there is another Infamous with Delsin). DLC could give us additional powers. It'd be cool if Paper Trail gave us paper powers. Seeing how they are leaning into man-made objects as power sources opens everything to being a potential power for Delsin/another conduit. I'd kinda like to see a water power. Like super high pressure lethal strikes, almost drowning people for subdues, water spouts to hover, possible swimming(!) or water running as traversal. Water bomb grenade that acts like a push/knockdown.

I wish Smoke had some kind of high jump ability, or that you could dash up the sides of buildings with the Smoke warp thing. Having to search around for the vents makes Smoke feel vastly inferior in the later stages of the game, when all the enemies are bouncing from rooftop to rooftop. I suspect they nerfed it on purpose
for the missions that lock you down to only Smoke, so you couldn't just jam all around the concrete island like a badass with Neon or Video, for example

I'm up to what I assume is the end game now, and I've really enjoyed this game. The fact that it's a launch window game is pretty apparent, since it's a much smaller game than Infamous 2 was. There's nothing like the point in I2 where it goes BAM! Ice powers! BAM! Throwing cars! BAM! Fight Godzilla! BAM! Flooded district, new enemy types, totally new style of airborne combat with the Ice Launch! in quick succession. But I can kind of appreciate that. I felt like Infamous 2 went on too long and ended up outstaying its welcome; I never did a second playthrough because I was pretty burnt out on it (also because I couldn't see myself playing Evil and not getting the godly Ice Launch). With Second Son I'll be going straight into an Evil playthrough when I'm done.

The combat's been fantastic so far. It's still that perfect balance of enough superpower to make you feel like a badass, but not so much that you lose any sense of connection to the world and the enemies. On Expert the combat is challenging enough to keep you on your toes, but with the upgrade that gives you health back for subduing enemies you can still get right up and brawl with dudes as long as you're playing skilfully. And I absolutely love the different powersets. The third power in particular plays totally differently to anything I've seen in Infamous.
Hovering above an area raining down aerial bombardments feels amazing

I really love the bossfights, too. Fast and furious rocket-fests, the lot of'em. I can't really see why people are having trouble with them; I actually thought He Who Dwells was one of the highpoints of the game. I can't wait to see how the final boss goes.

I actually had a blast doing it on Expert. Walked in thinking it'd be frustrating since it was annoying on my first time clearing it on Normal but nope, it was very simple.

You upgrade your Neon R1 ability and also acquire the Neon Dash + Jump skill. Then you unload your R1 lasers, using the Dash Jump to hop between platforms.
So I just did this fight on Expert and managed to do it pretty quickly because of something the game never really tells you.

When Eugene breaks up in to angels and sinks the platforms (i.e., after you do enough damage for him to change sides), he changes in to a bunch of small angels. If you shoot those angels down while your platform is sinking, it does a lot of damage from each angel you hit.

If you don't do that, the fight takes forever.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The "He Who Dwells" fight was fine, just too long.

The very final boss fight was easily the best in the game, IMO.

I dunno, you die when you get caught by the sawblades, you die when you get caught by the shots, it's not fun until you learn the patterns. With your face.

Mitark

JRRGAly.jpg

over 1 million views in 10 days /impressive.

Edit: Damn i still didn't buy the game, i want to finish Infamous 2 before buying this... but the screenshots are not helping hehe

Yipes.

I'm not feeling the third power at all.

I just don't like where the story is going I guess- the whole Eugene is a gamer/was bullied and now we're fighting alongside Angels & demons... With Delsin encouraging him to find himself etc...

Bleh.
The power itself feels lazy to me- I thought Neon and Smoke really were really unique- in terms of changing traversal and combat. But Video? And satellite dishes to link flight, and scaling buildings with wings... I guess I'm just not into that bit.

Up to this point, I was all for it. Cleared out all the districts 100%, except for a single blast shard and was all in just to play the rest of the story. Here's hoping it ends well.
Honestly the 3rd power is my favorite.

DNAbro

So I just did this fight on Expert and managed to do it pretty quickly because of something the game never really tells you.

When Eugene breaks up in to angels and sinks the platforms (i.e., after you do enough damage for him to change sides), he changes in to a bunch of small angels. If you shoot those angels down while your platform is sinking, it does a lot of damage from each angel you hit.

If you don't do that, the fight takes forever.
Holy crap thanks for this. Was dreading doing that fight again

Some Nobody

Nope, no thanks. I think I can count the number of times I've died playing on Normal. But the game has always felt like a challenge, except for when I save Delsin's Limit Break for a ton of villains and wipe them all at once. Otherwise? I'm constantly having to run around and strategize. I fully admit I could just be terrible at the game, but for me Medium is fine.

Oh hey, I found a piece of dialogue that doesn't jive with your karmic alignment. Third power spoiler:

Delsin refers to his "cool sword" when talking to Eugene, but if you're playing evil, you don't get a sword. Your weapon is demon claws.

Nope, no thanks. I think I can count the number of times I've died playing on Normal. But the game has always felt like a challenge, except for when I save Delsin's Limit Break for a ton of villains and wipe them all at once. Otherwise? I'm constantly having to run around and strategize. I fully admit I could just be terrible at the game, but for me Medium is fine.

I play on easy as I am much more interested in exploration rather than combat. :)

Completed it yesterday with good karma.
Kinda short + district clearing is abit tedious.
Other then that good game, with gorgeous graphics + sound

It's for people who play on easy/medium and then complain that a game (any actually) is boring and repetitive. Well, it's their money anyway.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be that black and white. I still fully enjoyed the game on normal but the whole time I felt OP. Like every time there was a new enemy, you got a new ability. Let them bring me down a bit before I can start blowing them away again.

I'm not saying they should do this, but in Infamous 1/2, to get a new power you had to venture through a dead zone of electricity and charge up through one of those stations. The whole ordeal really made you feel like you earned it. In I3, as soon as you get a new power you get upgrades rained on you. If you're like me and collect blast shards pretty quickly, you'll find that you're maxing out upgrades before they're even available to you. Every choice in Infamous 1/2 down to choosing what to upgrade next was a calculated decision. In I3, it was basically how many shards will I have left after I max out what's available.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the difficulty in I3 has been stepped down dramatically. It's still a terrific game, but it's clear that it's a launch window game. It looks and plays beautifully but it's nowhere as deep as Infamous 1 or 2 was.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One little thing that I'm impressed with is how well implemented the motion and touchpad controls are. The motion for graffiti, with the alternate grip on the controller, feels great (although I did hold it wrong for a while which made it really annoying at first but that's my fault. I didn't expect the touchpad implementation to work too well here but it actually feels great.

Infamous just killed my PS4 right after I got the third power. Goddammit Sony, I support you and this is the thanks I get
vXnB4Zv.gif

Yeah holy shit. The fans on my PS4 are on mega speed constantly. I make sure I stop after a few hours and put the PS4 into standby afterwards. On standby at least the PS4 is smart enough to keep the fans going until the insides get nice and cool before shutting off completely.

impact

Banned
Yeah holy shit. The fans on my PS4 are on mega speed constantly. I make sure I stop after a few hours and put the PS4 into standby afterwards. On standby at least the PS4 is smart enough to keep the fans going until the insides get nice and cool before shutting off completely.

That's how it started for me, my PS4 started to sound like a 360. Be careful man.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Same here! Never heard my ps4 fans go crazy like I did while playing second son. I actually turned it completely off for a bit. It didn't help that I forgot to open the glass door where the ps4 sits :/

DukeBobby

I really wish they had done more with the side content.

I only have one more district left to go, but it's so tedious. I don't think I can do it all again in a second playthrough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised the fans are getting that crazy for some of you. Mine kick up but nothing more than they did while playing Shadow Fall.

ReaperXL7

Ok so I really hope the Infamous ending turns out to be Canon this time...it just makes too much sense and would not even be hard to accomplish.

At this point Delsin has become a straight up villain he wiped out his tribe so stay with that, make him the prime Anatagonist for the next game. He's either taken over Seattle as his own personal haven, or another neighboring city if they want to change it up again. Hes let all of the other conduits out of Curden Cay absorbed their powers, corrupted a few and now he, Fetch, and a few other new baddies are creating anarchy.

Enter the New protagonist, who also happens to be Hanks daughter. The DUP realised after the events of SS she was infact a conduit so they decided to take her in and turn her into a weapon to fight Delsin, making sure she knows that Delsin killed her father. They send her in and now she has to decide wether to liberate the City or replace Delsin in the top seat of power (also being out for revenge), all while learning what the DUP are really all about(given the Infamous ending they could even be seen as actual "good guys").

You know they will just go with the good ending though which is kind of disappointing.

cdkee

Banned
Ok so I really hope the Infamous ending turns out to be Canon this time...it just makes too much sense and would not even be hard to accomplish.

At this point Delsin has become a straight up villain he wiped out his tribe so stay with that, make him the prime Anatagonist for the next game. He's either taken over Seattle as his own personal haven, or another neighboring city if they want to change it up again. Hes let all of the other conduits out of Curden Cay absorbed their powers, corrupted a few and now he, Fetch, and a few other new baddies are creating anarchy.

Enter the New protagonist, who also happens to be Hanks daughter. The DUP realised after the events of SS she was infact a conduit so they decided to take her in and turn her into a weapon to fight Delsin, making sure she knows that Delsin killed her father. They send her in and now she has to decide wether to liberate the City or replace Delsin in the top seat of power (also being out for revenge), all while learning what the DUP are really all about(given the Infamous ending they could even be seen as actual "good guys").

You know they will just go with the good ending though which is kind of disappointing.

Yeah, that actually makes the most sense.

If they went with good, I could see them perhaps going with Delsin again, pulling a "i lost all my powers" mcguffin or something. Otherwise what you said actually sounds like a good story.

I did notice that my ps4 get loud as f*** sometimes while playing infamous. Is there any risk? Can it break my ps4? My brother is playing infamous at this moment and his ps4 is underneath a woodenbox and it seems really hot in there

Just beat my second (evil) play through on expert and I didn't get the trophy.

kinda salty, but the game was extremely fun especially the third power when your inFamous.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't think it necessarily needs to be that black and white. I still fully enjoyed the game on normal but the whole time I felt OP. Like every time there was a new enemy, you got a new ability. Let them bring me down a bit before I can start blowing them away again.

I'm not saying they should do this, but in Infamous 1/2, to get a new power you had to venture through a dead zone of electricity and charge up through one of those stations. The whole ordeal really made you feel like you earned it. In I3, as soon as you get a new power you get upgrades rained on you. If you're like me and collect blast shards pretty quickly, you'll find that you're maxing out upgrades before they're even available to you. Every choice in Infamous 1/2 down to choosing what to upgrade next was a calculated decision. In I3, it was basically how many shards will I have left after I max out what's available.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the difficulty in I3 has been stepped down dramatically. It's still a terrific game, but it's clear that it's a launch window game. It looks and plays beautifully but it's nowhere as deep as Infamous 1 or 2 was.

I agree it's nowhere near the difficulty of 1/2 but it's also much lighter in tone. Delsin is playing with his powers and he enjoys getting them. Apart from a few moments, the game is pretty light-hearted too. Also second and third power don't feel "serious". But power upgrades shouldn't come so easily, that's true. I also agree on shards. I did all the area sweeping first so I thought it was the reason but I was very surprised how many shards I had left after all upgrades, it shouldn't happen.

Yes, it's a launch title which was postponed a bit. Which isn't such bad thing after all. I'm just tired with all complaining on GAF in threads about so many games, to be honest. People don't enjoy games anymore. It's not like the world ended because you played a game with some faults. I tend to have positive attitude towards games. I think it allows me to enjoy them more and I don't have time to play everything so it's important for me. One of the reasons I went digital this generation was the idea that I won't be selling any games I get so I have to pick them up more carefully and the backlog will be there for years. This makes me approach them a bit differently. I see it's a rare attitude here and maybe I'd like to discuss it one day if I find time to word it properly into a thread.

Thanks for a good opinion. My previous post looked a bit like a snarky drive-by comment. It was not what I meant.

PS. The thing I enjoy the most about IF:SS is the stencil theme. All those tags you paint are intelligently funny and the animated cutscenes are awesomely designed. I've never paid attention to streetart because most of tags are just ugly acts of vandalism by stupid kids. Now I see it in different light, thanks to the game.

Surprised the fans are getting that crazy for some of you. Mine kick up but nothing more than they did while playing Shadow Fall.
My PS4 is very loud in general. I suppose it has thermal paste badly applied under the sink. At the end of my playthrough which was probably at least 6 hours of gaming, they kicked in at highest speed and it sounded like a vacuum cleaner, no exaggeration. I think the console will eventually break and I'll have to send it on warranty. If a newer model is released before the warranty ends in 1.5 years, I'll replace the console myself. I hate noisy devices and this time Sony disappointed me a lot.

Just beat it a second time. So that's two runs on Expert both Good and Evil. I saved Evil for last, it was a ton of fun, you feel like a powerful ass beast when playing that way. With Good you have to hold back. It's a fun game, I really enjoyed it and the city is pretty. Though, I think I'll go back to MGS as I've found more replay value in that.

Top Bottom