• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

No Love

Banned
I'm not sure if it's my tv or the game, but the brightness level changes all the time depending how the camera is angled. Its kind of annoying. Is it just the lighting in the game or something with my tv? I changed every feature I could think of on my tv and it still does it.

It's high dynamic range iirc... it's supposed to do it. It's kind of annoying in this game though because it makes it hard to see, just like real life. lol

Sephzilla

I'm not sure if it's my tv or the game, but the brightness level changes all the time depending how the camera is angled. Its kind of annoying. Is it just the lighting in the game or something with my tv? I changed every feature I could think of on my tv and it still does it.

It's the game - I'm decently sure it's dependent on the camera's orientation to the sun

It definitely seems like they forgot some of the lessons of the previous games. Pedestrians used to throw rocks depending on your karma (
although there is the last mission in SS, but used to be just on the street
). There were multiple groups of enemies in both games (inFamous: first sons, reapers, dust men, cops; inFamous 2: swamp monsters, vermaak 88, militia, cops; SS only has DUP, with cops and dealers making up tiny groups in occasional side missions). You used to be able to throw cars. Another thing I miss from the first game is the Karma side missions. Having totally different side missions in some territories was great, and they had their own storyline with them.

Yeah, Second Son has some baffling downgrades from inFamous 2, it's pretty disappointing in that regard :/

Enemy variety took a huge nosedive, and the complete lack of Karma side missions is extremely conspicuous. It makes completing the rest of the side content feel much more tedious because in previous games you could throw in a side mission or two into the mix, now it's all about one "micro" mission after another (kill that camera, get that agent, spray that wall).

Second Son is pretty great though, and I'm glad the inFamous series has finally been "upgraded" to AAA status within the PlayStation platform. I just wish some of the elements weren't actual steps backward for the series.

JCX

I was really surprised by the amount of motion/touch elements. They aren't too obtrusive though, and the
spray painting is actually kind of fun to do

Toughest part has been un-remembering inFamous' old controls. Keep pressing triangle for missiles and trying to absorb energy with shoulder buttons.

Melchiah

Hmm, that's not entirely true. The last set of missions locks them off (at least they don't show up on the map at that point), but the game drops you back in world post game so you can finish up what you haven't.

What's the last set of missions called, if you can say it without spoiling anything? I guess it occurs after getting all the four powers? It's good though, that you can go back after finishing the main game, and do the rest of the missions, like in Tomb Raider.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Horsticuffs, you dont enter the amazon code within Infamous, you do it from the playstation store on your ps4, go there, scroll to the bottom on the left hand side of the page, you will see redeem codes, put the code in there.
Oh, sweet. Thanks dude! New to Playstation ecosystem!

Schlomo

I haven't finished the game so this remains to be seen, but I get the feeling that this game will end up being much shorter than the previous games.

Am I correct.

The first game is still my fav.

Yes.
It think the first one had 3 districts and the second one 4, but there are only 2 here. Plus you can traverse the map much faster now.
I guess it's all they could do at this high quality.

The first one is my favorite as well, though I should probably play it again lest my judgment be clouded by nostalgia.

Yeah, Second Son has some baffling downgrades from inFamous 2, it's pretty disappointing in that regard :/

Enemy variety took a huge nosedive, and the complete lack of Karma side missions is extremely conspicuous. It makes completing the rest of the side content feel much more tedious because in previous games you could throw in a side mission or two into the mix, now it's all about one "micro" mission after another (kill that camera, get that agent, spray that wall).

Second Son is pretty great though, and I'm glad the inFamous series has finally been "upgraded" to AAA status within the PlayStation platform. I just wish some of the elements weren't actual steps backward for the series.
Yeah it's strange for there to be such obvious backwards steps, but the massive improvements in combat, mobility, characters, graphics (relative to technology), and artistic direction make it as good or better than the other games.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yeah it's strange for there to be such obvious backwards steps, but the massive improvements in combat, mobility, characters, graphics (relative to technology), and artistic direction make it as good or better than the other games.

Yea I imagine they just shifted their focus. I didn't play infamous2 but I could tell there was a lot missing in this game. But they got a lot of things right that I like. Getting around, animations, story is pretty good (simple but good), nice characters. This is pretty damn great for a launch window game.

sun-drop

Holy crap...so I just tried remote play.

Best controls ever?

Not sure how to toggle it, maybe it kicks in after a few seconds, but the front touch screen layout for the "touchpad" and also the lower corners for L2 and R2 works perfectly.

As an aside... Im on Telecom 4G here in nz, just wanted to test to see how it looked... Umm.....perfect? Kinda shocked... I mean rock solid and perfect picture, hardly any lag...

Might be the fact its 4am here right now tho lol.

Going to try this from the office tomorrow....

kurbaan

Banned
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the enemy AI.

Every enemy in the game has 100% perfect aim at all times from any distance. It is incredibly frustrating at times when you get in a little over your head, and are being assaulted from nearly every direction.

There's no good way to get out of fire other than run like a motherfucker until you are way out of the combat zone. At times I'm just trying to let my health refill and I'm running around trying to find something to hide behind where I can't be shot at, and it's nearly impossible. Nothing makes you feel more heroic (or superheroic :p) than having to run a mile away and hide before coming at enemies one by one at angles where they all can't shoot you at once.

Compounding the frustration is the fact that as you get closer to death, they strip all of the audio, except for an annoying musical tone that intensifies as you get closer to dying. It pulls me right he fuck out of the game and I find it very very frustrating and annoying when I'm being assaulted from every direction.

I love this game a lot, more than any other InFamous, but this stuff was really bugging me last night. I kept saying to myself, who the fuck play tested this shit?

Exactly how I feel. And it doesn't change at all during the game it just gets worse,with more frustrating enemy types.

And if you hate this in regular combat wait till the boss fights. Nothing says super hero than firing a few shots, then cowering in the corner for a 10 seconds while you recharge health and power.

btkadams

i really enjoyed the (hero) story in this game. i am almost always disappointed by the ending section of video games, even great ones, but this one was really satisfying.

Kyoufu

Every enemy in the game has 100% perfect aim at all times from any distance. It is incredibly frustrating at times when you get in a little over your head, and are being assaulted from nearly every direction.

I don't find enemy accuracy to be an issue since you're able to dash out until you're safe. I've never been sniped by a mile away as I'm dashing.

At no point in the game did I feel that enemies were unfair or cheap, unlike Infamous 2 where you get sniped by instant kill rockets.

Violater

I don't find enemy accuracy to be an issue since you're able to dash out until you're safe. I've never been sniped by a mile away as I'm dashing.

At no point in the game did I feel that enemies were unfair or cheap, unlike Infamous 2 where you get sniped by instant kill rockets.

The automatic turrets combined with the floaty physics of your jumps can be murder.

Haunted

This game is great.

Characters are generally a bunch of unlikable pricks (or terrible stereotypes) but whatever, gameplay's great, structure's fine for an open world game and the graphics look stellar.

Takes up Knack's mantle of the PS4's best game so far. Thumbs up.

Loudninja

I think you have to give the AI some type of advantage since you can move around so much.

neos

Turned 33 today, but i 'm feeling like i'm 12 right now:)
W3a0rjU.jpg

There's no good way to get out of fire other than run like a motherfucker until you are way out of the combat zone. At times I'm just trying to let my health refill and I'm running around trying to find something to hide behind where I can't be shot at, and it's nearly impossible. Nothing makes you feel more heroic (or superheroic :p) than having to run a mile away and hide before coming at enemies one by one at angles where they all can't shoot you at once.

Compounding the frustration is the fact that as you get closer to death, they strip all of the audio, except for an annoying musical tone that intensifies as you get closer to dying. It pulls me right he fuck out of the game and I find it very very frustrating and annoying when I'm being assaulted from every direction.

I love this game a lot, more than any other InFamous, but this stuff was really bugging me last night. I kept saying to myself, who the fuck play tested this shit?

I've actually noticed the enemies miss quite a bit now. They're not idiots who spray-n-pray, but they're not 100% accurate all the time.

How are you doing the combat? It sounds to me like you're mostly standing/walking and spamming R2. If you're getting shot at you need to dash, either way from the enemies like around a corner or toward them to murder their faces up close. Enemies can't get two shots on you if you're dashing around with any regularity. Plenty of upgrades heal your health if you do any one thing (usually while actually using a power). Are you using stun grenades to give you breathing room? Are you running up walls/using vents to drop a fist on their asses? Are you absorbing smoke/neon as soon as you're badly hurt? Because that heals you instantly in addition to recharging. Are you taking advantage of as many insta-kill options as you can (weak points in neon, etc.)? There are many, many such options that lets you thin out large goon mobs quickly.

You're not supposed to stand still. If you're literally not hitting any buttons just waiting for you to heal up you're just not doing the combat right.

I've spent some time thinking about the game since I beat it.

Obviously Spoilers

]I've come to the conclusion that it must have been rushed. Compared to the previous games it feels like not a lot even happened. The events of the game take place over two weeks. I mean, from the way the previous games played out I was seriously not expecting to be fighting the DUP for the entire game. Previously there was a fair amount of variety in the enemies and how they fight.

Also, the side missions are very lacking. Find a hidden camera, find the audio log, find the hidden agent then a district showdown, rinse and repeat. I was expecting that to change with the appearance of Fetch and Eugene. But no, they each get one main mission and, including their brief appearance at the end to help you out, they perhaps get an hour of screen time. This was a big disappointment to me, especially since it seems like they spent some crafting those characters. I expected to learn more about Fetch and Eugene through a series of side missions that slowly flesh out their stories. That this didn't happen seems criminal to me, especially since this game was the big post-launch exclusive.

One thing that gives me hope is that there's clearly room for expansion, it's very much hinted at in the final audio logs: "what would happen IF Delson went to that camp Fetch and Eugene were kept in, what IF he got Glass, Wire and Paper powers?" I believe Sucker Punch said we can expect expansions on a similar scale to Festival of Blood too. Still, that the game was released with such little meat on the bones is fairly unacceptable to me.

Hindl

What? It was very easy about a minute in. Its all about timing and neon.

It was really weird tho, you basically just launch R1 over and over again. It was a little frustrating, although the environment was cool. And I thought this was a nice touch, but I'll spoiler it:

I liked that when the platforms moved up and down out of the lava, if you switched to a rising platform while it was rising, it would stop and start to fall, and that would cause other platforms to rise instead. I thought it was a pretty cool touch.

I want to play as Hero, since people seem more satisfied with that than as an Evil playthrough. I just wanna reach infamous first before I do a new playthrough. But my opinion of this game still stands. The gameplay and design can get a little repetitive, and the story isn't anything special. But the sandbox is incredible to play around with, and the tons of small touches really add a lot. The side quests can be fleshed out more, but it's still really good.

I especially like recently I've been wandering around, and a gun fight will break out between cops and drug dealers out of nowhere. It's a pretty nice touch

I've actually noticed the enemies miss quite a bit now. They're not idiots who spray-n-pray, but they're not 100% accurate all the time.

How are you doing the combat? It sounds to me like you're mostly standing/walking and spamming R2. If you're getting shot at you need to dash, either way from the enemies like around a corner or toward them to murder their faces up close. Enemies can't get two shots on you if you're dashing around with any regularity. Plenty of upgrades heal your health if you do any one thing (usually while actually using a power). Are you using stun grenades to give you breathing room? Are you running up walls/using vents to drop a fist on their asses? Are you absorbing smoke/neon as soon as you're badly hurt? Because that heals you instantly in addition to recharge it.

You're not supposed to stand still. If you're literally not hitting any buttons just waiting for you to heal up you're just doing the combat right.

^^ This right here. Gotta move, move and move. You stay in one place you're toast - especially up against a heavy-gunner and those concrete conduits with concrete shields. Pair them, a few DUP grunts and an auto turret on a vehicle and whew you've got a challenge.

Smoke grenades are you're friend. Use them frequently. Use Smoke Rockets on the heavy-chain gunners. Absorb smoke where you can to heal.

Overall - about 45% in, the game is astounding. Loving every second of it.

Just to throw in my 1/2 cent ...

This is the first of the nextGen right here. Graphics are amazing, fluidity in gameplay is awesome
The crowds are a bit cardboard-ey, but hey, I'm flying past them most of the time

I've not had this much .... how can you say ... FUN .. yes FUN!, playing a game since Crazy Taxi methnks! It's a blast (pardon the pun). What a delight!

A nice diversion whilst I patiently await the arrival of The WItcher 3 ..

This is the first game of the NextGen proper IMO .. How far we have come from the xBox 360 (from whence I came). I was a bit tentative about the game after reading some posts in here in the Reviews thread and the OT .. but I I was absolutely floored constantly during the first hour and every hour so far thereafter

Kudos Sucker Punch

900f6feab9274b88ca3e8c7af5bea2b1.gif

Acorn

Platinum get. Enjoyed the game but the side shit is mostly terrible, especially secret agent.

The city still suffers from the Infamous curse of being lifeless though.

Haha, I just realized kind of a dumb detail. Final act spoiler:

Even though Hank has been on the run for a few days now, even when he's "helping" you attack Augustine's base, he's still wearing his prison jumpsuit. Master escapee and fugitive Hank Daughtry.

todahawk

Haha, I just realized kind of a dumb detail. Final act spoiler:

Even though Hank has been on the run for a few days now, even when he's "helping" you attack Augustine's base, he's still wearing his prison jumpsuit. Master escapee and fugitive Hank Daughtry.

LOL, he never struck me as that bright.

I have just about completely liberated the entire top half of the map. I have on district to finish getting the DUP cleared out. The game is really fun so far, and as you unlock more and more abilities I feel like the entire dynamic of the gameplay changes. Before I had the ability to get people to cough with the regular shooting I would almost never use it, I'd just try to draw people off and melee them down. Now that I can do that I shoot them, toss the smoke grenade thing at a few others, then just subdue them all. I'm about to unlock the knockout headshots and I am sure that will change things up a bit as well.

Anyway, the graphics are great, the city is really lovely and seems lively. For me I have noticed that the crowds sort of come in waves like a real city. Sometimes the streets are really crowded, sometimes not. To me it seems like the crowds are realistic sizes, given they are about what I see when I walk down the street in the city. I'm hoping to finish the game this week, but I am really enjoying it.

IvorB

How are you doing the combat? It sounds to me like you're mostly standing/walking and spamming R2. If you're getting shot at you need to dash, either way from the enemies like around a corner or toward them to murder their faces up close. Enemies can't get two shots on you if you're dashing around with any regularity. Plenty of upgrades heal your health if you do any one thing (usually while actually using a power). Are you using stun grenades to give you breathing room? Are you running up walls/using vents to drop a fist on their asses? Are you absorbing smoke/neon as soon as you're badly hurt? Because that heals you instantly in addition to recharging. Are you taking advantage of as many insta-kill options as you can (weak points in neon, etc.)? There are many, many such options that lets you thin out large goon mobs quickly.

You're not supposed to stand still. If you're literally not hitting any buttons just waiting for you to heal up you're just not doing the combat right.

Yeah last night I was playing against that
boss on top of the Space Needle
. I was dashing around him and firing and he was also doing some kind of teleport move around the arena as well and it was all so smooth and looked amazing. I literally could not believe what I was seeing. Like next gen just unfolding before my eyes.

dstarMDA

Had no problem at all with the Expert trophy. There's no need to start a new game with the difficulty already set, switching at launch works too.

Platinum !

Alienous

I've spent some time thinking about the game since I beat it.

Obviously Spoilers

]I've come to the conclusion that it must have been rushed. Compared to the previous games it feels like not a lot even happened. The events of the game take place over two weeks. I mean, from the way the previous games played out I was seriously not expecting to be fighting the DUP for the entire game. Previously there was a fair amount of variety in the enemies and how they fight.

Also, the side missions are very lacking. Find a hidden camera, find the audio log, find the hidden agent then a district showdown, rinse and repeat. I was expecting that to change with the appearance of Fetch and Eugene. But no, they each get one main mission and, including their brief appearance at the end to help you out, they perhaps get an hour of screen time. This was a big disappointment to me, especially since it seems like they spent some crafting those characters. I expected to learn more about Fetch and Eugene through a series of side missions that slowly flesh out their stories. That this didn't happen seems criminal to me, especially since this game was the big post-launch exclusive.

One thing that gives me hope is that there's clearly room for expansion, it's very much hinted at in the final audio logs: "what would happen IF Delson went to that camp Fetch and Eugene were kept in, what IF he got Glass, Wire and Paper powers?" I believe Sucker Punch said we can expect expansions on a similar scale to Festival of Blood too. Still, that the game was released with such little meat on the bones is fairly unacceptable to me.

I don't think it was rushed. I think that they decided on the scope and scale anticipating it as a launch title, it fell behind and so is now polished but lacking.

It isn't the ambitious sequel to inFamous 2 but rather the "What scale can we deliver on for launch" iteration in the inFamous series, much like Killzone: Shadow Fall. In many ways Second Son does less, and tries less than inFamous 2. It's still a good game, though it is far from great.

Nymphae

Banned
How are you doing the combat? It sounds to me like you're mostly standing/walking and spamming R2. If you're getting shot at you need to dash, either way from the enemies like around a corner or toward them to murder their faces up close.

I was doing that for quite a bit, until I learned to dash away and come at them individually, which doesn't feel that badass really. Run, take one guy out, run again, drain smoke/neon while I'm being attacked so I won't die, rinse repeat till everyone is dead. A lot of times I'd be trying to take out like 3 standard infantry dudes with melee, and would get shot to death before I could take them out (doesn't help there is no lock on and the melee swing seems to have a mind of it's own, several times it's sent my attacks to a civilian instead of the bad guy I was aiming for.)

I get this, I need to vary it up a bit for sure, but it still does feel like you can get overwhelmed pretty quickly even very early on.

.GqueB.

Banned
Platinum get. Enjoyed the game but the side shit is mostly terrible, especially secret agent.

The city still suffers from the Infamous curse of being lifeless though.

I actually liked Secret Agent the most. I didn't mind the side stuff but I just hated having to do it over and over again. As "open" as this world is, you're only doing a handful of things overall. I just wish there were more side "quests" instead of side "distractions". I didn't love Arkham City but I liked how the side quests felt like their own little stories sometimes and had some payoff. It's kind of crazy how no one thought this stuff would get tedious as shit after the first island. We should be pass this sort of thing by now.

There were so many missed opportunities in this game. Billboard spoilers
The banter between Delsin and the D.U.P dispatcher were awesome but there was no pay off
. Audio log spoilers
I haven't finished the game but I just did the last one and, again, no pay off.
Such a waste to me.

Enemies track you fairly well in Expert. Even if they don't hit every shot, they keep their gun trained on you even through airvents and light dashes and meteor drops.

You know, one thing I want to note about this game is that when I was going in I was expecting to really hate Delsin and I got the feeling that his relationship with his brother was going to be one of pure conflict. Generally speaking Delsin doesn't come off as an asshole and their relationship is strained and conflicted but generally they seem to get along and care about each other. It really defied my expectations based on the previews I saw. I don't know if that will change as time goes along, but it was a very pleasant surprise.

-Digits-

I really love the final powerset. It's not as fleshed out as the others though. No evil/good karma upgrades and less overall upgrades than the others. Amazing traversal options though. I love how you can switch between the powers, they all feel very different in both combat and travel options.
Overall, I'd say Smoke is my least favorite. It's a bit limited in its movement options compared to the others and I felt like the ranged attack missed some oomph. Then again, the smoke grenade is amazing and zooming around vents is really cool.

Voidance

Just acquired the third power. My thoughts, in general:

+ Great graphics and specatular attention to detail overall.
+ Good voice acting all around.
+ Powers look wonderful.
+ Story is simple and, so far, is pretty well laid out.
+ Love how blast shards are handled.
+ The combat is pretty satisfying and can be approached many ways. As another poster said, the different powers really change the way you approach each scenario. If you play the hand you're delt and don't seek out other energy sources, each large encounter can really have its own flavor. Good stuff.
+ Traveral, for once, is a joy.

- By now, I am quite tired of the repetitive activities needed to 0% each district.
- The city really seems static and lifeless. I long for the days when open worlds can have dense, realistic crowds and don't have to enact a "quarantine" or "outbreak" as an excuse to have barren sidewalks.
- I still hate the inFamous staple of 10 enemies all shooting you at once. It's a frustrating system and there must be a better way.

Right now, this game gets a 7.5/10 from me. I still have to wrap up my good playthrough, do an evil expert run, and get the platinum to fit in with the rest of the franchise; this extra time may influence my overall score. It's a good game but it could have been great.

Top Bottom